• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 'Wiimote Style' changes the game

Just got finished with a series of solid games in Splatoon 2 playing in Tabletop mode with seperated Joycons for the first time, and I've never done better personally.

Because it uses the gyroscope in the right joycon, you can tilt it further and use it like a pointer rather than a simple assist, and it allows super focused tracking and sensitivity. If you haven't tried it yet, I totally suggest you try the style out.

How about you guys? What scheme do you find best for Splatoon 2? How does it change game-to-game?

Being able to play games while not having to glue my hands together with a controller is quite a blessing in general. The Pro Controller is great and all, but being able to find a comfy position is easier with the Joy cons for me.

This guy know what's up, split joycons are glorious!

I SUCKED at splatoon 1, but with split joycons I easily went 32-18 in my first 50 games, and was almost always the #1 player on my team leading in both splats and ground painted.

WillyFive

It's a tragedy that the best console controller for shooters (the Wii remote and it's ilk) are on systems where the big shooter titles never come to.

I actually did the best with just full on Handheld today. Joycons Split 2nd best and connected to the grip I just sucked really bad. I dunno why.

But yeah, Joycons split is my personal recommendation for anyone playing on a TV.

I personally prefer handheld with motion sensitivity cranked to max.

Yep, I noticed this was the best way to play after the gamepad. Only problem is, I sometimes forget that I'm holding a joycon and not a wii mote so I often forget to use the analog stick to look left and right.

Holy crap, I turned off motion, this sounds brilliant. I haven't played tabeltop/tv yet so I have only been holding the switch and playing. Will try this tonight.

vall03

I hope that this control option stays in Metroid Prime 4. While I won't say its the best, it definitely is comfortable and easy to get used to.

Puggles

I still find the pro controller better since I have trouble moving the stick and pressing the right trigger when they are split. My hand always slips.

GoldChain

I tried split joycon, but found it harder to use the right-stick reliably like when I use the pro controller. I have found an efficient mix of r-stick + motion controls on the pro, that I dont feel translates to the split joycons.

Maybe I need to up the sensitivity while split? Do folks using split joycons use the r-stick very much?

phanphare

Banned
this will be my preferred method to play Splatoon if and when they release a joy con pro revision with the pro controller's sticks and face buttons and make them a little bit bigger with better right stick placement

it was really good but there were some hurdles that made Splatoon a bad fit for the control scheme

I couldn't get into the motion controls in Splatoon 1, and relied on the analog sticks. Now with Splatoon 2 I'm all about motion with split joycons.

True Fire

I find that the camera gets crazy wobbly when I play with motion controls. I had to turn it off and play it like a regular shooter.

I tried that once and it totally felt uncomfortable and as a result my aim was shit.

Yesterday I played most of my matches using the dog controller and it was okay. I may give the joycons only another chance though, but if I could I'd use the WiiU gamepad again, not being able to see the map at all times hurts the game a lot.

radcliff

Has anyone tried the Switch AA battery pack? Does it make holding the joycons more like holding a Wiimote due to the added size from the pack??

bounchfx

tried it, but surprisingly I play the best portable with the joycons docked to the screen. still hate that I can't look up or down without tilt however

Owensboro

I've found split joycons the best way to play too....unfortunately I can't play that way due to bad wrists. Stuck with the Pro controller.

JCX

if it were pointer controls instead of gyro it would be my go to method, but I find split to be the least comfy of the control methods. Pro controller feels perfect.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I find that the camera gets crazy wobbly when I play with motion controls. I had to turn it off and play it like a regular shooter.

Yeah me too,I keep looking at the ground or in the air. I'm constantly fighting it.

My first tip is to mess with the sensitivity settings. My second is to keep resetting the cursor with Y (I think it's Y) if you find your resting position is shifting.

The final thing I'll say is that if you've never used motion controls before, it will require some body awareness that most games don't. This will likely require a bit of extended use to develop new habits if your current ones aren't compatible with motion controls. It also requires a certain level of muscle control that not everyone in our world of differently-abled people has. However, there's definitely no requirement to use the motion controls, so play however works best for you. :)

I like split joy-cons in general, but I can't do it for Splatoon unfortunately. I don't feel comfortable keeping my fingers on both the right stick and ZR without my hand conforming weirdly. And adjusting my thumb to move to the Y button to recenter the camera changes my position too much.

I was used to motion with the gamepad in Splatoon 1, so I'm pretty solid with grip and pro controller.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I think I'm too old and set in my ways for split joycons. I just can't get used to it.

OryoN

I tried this. It didn't quite feel like the same precision/response as with true pointer controls. I also found the right stick a bit uncomfortable to use often(in split mode) especially when constantly transitioning to/from the face buttons. In grip mode, you have the other hand to stabilize the controller as you transition, so it's not as big an issue. I'm currently using the pro controller and it's amazing. I'm gonna give split joy-con another shot in the test arena to see if I "missed" something.

Split Joy-Con - in other games/menu - are absolutely incredible, for sure! I'm already a believer!

goldenpp72

Big hand dude here. Its totally comfortable for me. 120+ hours in zelda and now around 10 hours in splatoon.

Have you tried just doing it?

Yeah, my hands are prone to cramping discomfort, so for some reason they make it especially worse. It's not TOO bad with Splatoon but other games i've done like Zelda get me over a bit.

Dremorak

Banned
Yeah, my hands are prone to cramping discomfort, so for some reason they make it especially worse. It's not TOO bad with Splatoon but other games i've done like Zelda get me over a bit.

Ah yeah that sucks. I havent seen any grips that dont just look like plastic junk.

I wonder if me being a guitarist gives my hands more tolerance to that kind of thing...

CO_Andy

disappointed this thread isn't about the Wii remote solution in Splatoon 1

tumblr_np5f0sgTcS1u3akyno1_1280.0.0.jpg

molnizzle

Wow, I didn't know it worked like that.

Will definitely give it a shot. I'm still struggling with the Pro controller motions controls after about a dozen hours of play.

Top Bottom