• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision: Destiny 2 Beta larger than original / D2 preorders have surpassed D1

While this is likely not shocking news in many ways, it seems Destiny 2 is poised for an absolutely enormous launch. I know there were some out there who have thought Destiny 1 had "poor word of mouth" that would affect the launch of the sequel but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. The beta for D2 was larger and, perhaps more importantly actually pre-orders for the sequel have surpassed Destiny 1.

4d1c.png

For perspective Destiny 1 launched with more than $500 million dollars in preorders and sold 6.3 million units during its first month on the market.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While I'm certainly expecting the game to do very well, this is some pretty weak PR on the beta front.

Pre-orders is a bit more meaningful as they're cratering across the industry, so merely "going up" is a lot more impressive than it sounds.

wwm0nkey

I think I will be passing on this one, but yeah this game is going to make Bungie that paper.....hopefully enough so they can hire people and revive that damn Marathon reboot that got cancelled!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
While I'm certainly expecting the game to do very well, this is some pretty weak PR on the beta front.

Pre-orders is a bit more meaningful as they're cratering across the industry, so going up is more impressive than it sounds.

It's weak PR to say early indicators are outperforming the previous entry?

Experien

Well adding a completely new group to the game would potentially bring in more customers.

Not sure if there was a PC beta but I am sure they helped increased pre-order numbers. Also having it be on PC, some people might pre-ordered it on console AND PC.

Just makes sense that a game open to "everyone" vs a game not open to "everyone," the former would win out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's weak PR to say early indicators are outperforming the previous entry?

Yeah. Usually you brag about multiplicative factors or large percentages with sequels.

It's very common to hear "Pre-orders are up 50%." (or was when preorders still did well) or "The beta had 7.2 million players versus Destiny's 4.6 million.", that kind of thing.

Blunoise

People need to realize that' it's only a minority that dislikes destiny. Destiny is still played by a majority of the player base.

I am surprised, pure anecdotal, but very few on my friends played the beta, where the first was close to 90%

And the ones that did didn't liked it... For a while I felt the game had a legit chance to bomb (at least in expectation of the juggernaut it's certain to be)

Well adding a completely new group to the game would potentially bring in more customers.

Not sure if there was a PC beta but I am sure they helped increased pre-order numbers. Also having it be on PC, some people might pre-ordered it on console AND PC.

Just makes sense that a game open to "everyone" vs a game not open to "everyone," the former would win out.

Nope, no pc beta yet.

Yeah. Usually you brag about multiplicative factors or large percentages with sequels.

It's very common to hear "Pre-orders are up 50%." or "The beta had 8 million players versus Destiny's 4 million.", that kind of thing.

Well its worth noting Destiny 1 was already absolutely enormous. I doubt it was a vastly larger Beta than the original, especially considering D1 Beta was on 4 systems.

But yeah pre-orders being higher than the original, which in and of itself was huge, is a very very strong indicator. Especially as you noted pre-orders across the board are smaller than they used to be.

Hyun Sai

The Beta for Destiny 1 was for all 4 platforms ? 360 Xbone / PS3 PS4 ?

If that's the case and current numbers don't include PC, it's quite a feat, and very difficult to argue otherwise...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well its worth noting Destiny 1 was already absolutely enormous. I doubt it was a vastly larger Beta than the original, especially considering D1 Beta was on 4 systems.

But yeah pre-orders being higher than the original, which in and of itself was huge, is a very very strong indicator. Especially as you noted pre-orders across the board are smaller than they used to be.

I think the one thing with the beta is that Destiny's beta is pretty low on the list of beta figures these days, so jumping well up on that shouldn't be especially hard. I could see them wanting to wait until after the PC one to release specific numbers, but still.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Pre-orders up... with a new huge platform.

But 2 less platforms overall, and let's not forget the YEARS of hype part 1 had. YEARS. I'm surprised preorders are up, tbh. The first was just hyped that much.

Also, I don't think I preordered a PC game in my life unless it was a CE.

I think the one thing with the beta is that Destiny's beta is pretty low on the list of beta figures these days, so jumping well up on that shouldn't be especially hard.

Well keep in mind install base is also much smaller across PS4 and Xbone than the total install base available to D1 was. We don't have the PC Beta yet which will almost certainly add a ton of users.

I don't think the Beta part is really that important. I think larger preorders than D1 with still a month to go is the really important part. Especially as Activision has confirmed the Sku with the season pass is the best selling. The opening for this should be an absolute revenue juggernaut

MCD250

Pre-orders is a bit more meaningful as they're cratering across the industry, so merely "going up" is a lot more impressive than it sounds.
That's interesting to hear about preorders being down across the industry. I had no idea. Wonder what the cause(s) may be.

But 2 less platforms overall, and let's not forget the YEARS of hype part 1 had. YEARS. I'm surprised preorders are up, tbh. The first was just hyped that much.

Also, I don't think I preordered a PC game in my life unless it was a CE.

You have to pre-order this game if you want to play the beta early and this was given away with nvidia cards.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The game is going to be huge but like others have said this is pretty weak PR. I am guessing it didnt bring in a lot of new players.

If the port is as quality as has been reported so far from places like Digital Foundry in the bit they've played I expect this will do pretty huge numbers on PC.

It will be really interesting to see if they give out any PC Beta info after it happens.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

It's very common to hear "Pre-orders are up 50%." (or was when preorders still did well) or "The beta had 7.2 million players versus Destiny's 4.6 million.", that kind of thing.
But do you expect that sort of multiplication even in relation to one of the largest video game launches ever?

Makes more sense for games that don't have one of the biggest install bases already.

Gator86

It's going to be massive but I am completely apathetic to it at this point. I'll buy it because all my friends are gonna play it but nothing has me excited about it now.

Pundere

Kinda surprised. Playing the beta had the opposite effect on me and convinced me not to pre order or get the game at launch.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But do you expect that sort of multiplication even in relation to one of the largest video game launches ever?

Makes more sense for games that don't have one of the biggest install bases already.

For pre-orders, no, but for the beta, Ubisoft games routinely hit 6 million, while Overwatch got over 9 million, and EA games like Battlefield and Battlefront get in the 10-14 million range, versus Destiny 1, which was 4.6 million.

I was just kind of expecting growth there to be large enough to be worth highlighting.

Then again, maybe people know what they're getting to the extent they don't feel the need to play it.

It's going to assuredly sell quite well, however.

That's interesting to hear about preorders being down across the industry. I had no idea. Wonder what the cause(s) may be.
People who buy digitally pre-order way less often.

Yeah that's why personally at least I don't take a ton from the Beta info. I don't expect it to have been a huge percentage larger. It starts to get pretty difficult to substantially outdo yourself when your last game did over 6 million units in a month.

If D2 is up in any large way over the original's opening that itself is impressive enough. We are still talking one of the largest titles in the entire industry.

For pre-orders, no, but for the beta, Ubisoft games routinely hit 6 million, while Overwatch got over 9 million, and EA games like Battlefield and Battlefront get in the 10-14 million range, versus Destiny 1, which was 4.6 million.

I was just kind of expecting growth there to be large enough to be worth highlighting.

Then again, maybe people know what they're getting to the extent they don't feel the need to play it.

It's going to assuredly sell quite well, however.

People who buy digitally pre-order way less often.

Key part there Nirolak is all of those Beta's include PC. This is console only

I preordered 2 copies at gamestop 1 for ps4 and 1 for xbone for i could have a beta key for each. I plan on canceling both and buying digital on Xbone....sorry to the poor Gamestop GA who will have their numbers for the week hit. The only downfall to Destiny 2 for me is no cross platform save. It is legit stopping me from buying copies on PS4 and Xbone and the fact i think its because of the fact PS4 has exclusive content makes me even sadder.

Anth0ny

No surprise at all. Always felt like Destiny was just getting bigger and bigger since the original launch.

2 is going to be massive this holiday.

HonMirin

Are people really playing this down? D2 is going to sell crazy numbers. It's releasing on three platforms hungry for the follow up this time round. PC hasn't had its beta yet. The preorder numbers are up on the last entry.

D2 will outsell D1. You might not like this. You might have hated the first entry. You might have hated the beta. Heck you may even hate the fact there's a sequel. But it's going to do crazy numbers. You may not like this, but it's going to happen. Accept it and your life will be easier.

Boke1879

No surprise at all. Always felt like Destiny was just getting bigger and bigger since the original launch.

2 is going to be massive this holiday.

I think this is what a lot fail to realize. Sure many argued the game was content starved, but every year since launch. I saw more and more people played the game and invested in it.

The core gameplay is very good. As long as Bungie has a plan for content updates. This game will be huge. Can't wait for next month.

And here we go, something I've long been talking about here and predicing.

Destiny 2 has the highest Digital percentage mix of any Activision game in History

Has the highest digital mix of any $ATVI game in history.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/893210494387060743

I've long thought we could be looking at very very high digital percentage at launch with Destiny 2. So much so I don't think its impossible physical units are down from the original

Are people really playing this down? D2 is going to sell crazy numbers. It's releasing on three platforms hungry for the follow up this time round. PC hasn't had its beta yet. The preorder numbers are up on the last entry.

D2 will outsell D1. You might not like this. You might have hated the first entry. You might have hated the beta. Heck you may even hate the fact there's a sequel. But it's going to do crazy numbers. You may not like this, but it's going to happen. Accept it and your life will be easier.

The current discussions are mostly "Destiny 1.5" and "Glorified DLC". Its not like its gonna get any better after Destiny 2 releases

Wanted to jump in but didnt like the gunplay in the beta. Why play Crucible when Blops 3 feels better?

If reviews are really good I'll probably pick it up eventually though. But atm I'm more excited for CoD WW2.

SirNinja

Sequel to a now-popular, known quantity has more interest than it did when it was a brand-new IP? That's insane. Just nuts!

The original game sold more than quite a few established-series games at the time and was the biggest new franchise launch to date when it launched. Beating those numbers is a pretty big deal.

Top Bottom