• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision: Destiny 2 Beta larger than original / D2 preorders have surpassed D1

And here we go, something I've long been talking about here and predicing.

Destiny 2 has the highest Digital percentage mix of any Activision game in History

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/893210494387060743

I've long thought we could be looking at very very high digital percentage at launch with Destiny 2. So much so I don't think its impossible physical units are down from the original

I went digital. First game I've done it for too -- I usually just take advantage of BB's GCU discount and release day shipping, but I need to be there when the servers open up, so digital it is.

ethomaz

Banned
I need to say that? Expected.

Anybody that expect Destiny 2 to have any number lower than Destiny 1 has no ideia of about how megaton Destiny 1 success was and how it create a big userbase of fans wanting the sequel.

Destiny 2 will easily sell more than Destiny 1 even being released in only 3 platforms this time.

Even not liking the PVP useless changes it is the sequel of the game that defined this generation.

The original game sold more than quite a few established-series games at the time and was the biggest new franchise launch to date when it launched. Beating those numbers is a pretty big deal.

It was a big deal when a new IP beats established franchises, yes, but it's not one when the sequel to that IP, which is now very well-known and more popular than ever, beats its debut.

That's entirely expected, and it's actually news when sequels to popular debuts flop (see: Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and Dishonored 2).

The current discussions are mostly "Destiny 1.5" and "Glorified DLC". Its not like its gonna get any better after Destiny 2 releases

Because Neogaf discussions are a better indicator than sales numbers? People were disappointed with D1, the gripes never stopped, look how it did. D2 will not fail in any meaningful capacity, as much as some want it too.

ethomaz

Banned
Because Neogaf discussions are a better indicator than sales numbers? People were disappointed with D1, the gripes never stopped, look how it did. D2 will not fail in any meaningful capacity, as much as some want it too.
Peharps a vocal minority hated or where disappointed.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
But the beta hasn't even started yet.

5SKeSOe.png

Boke1879

The current discussions are mostly "Destiny 1.5" and "Glorified DLC". Its not like its gonna get any better after Destiny 2 releases

On Gaf? Maybe.

Even for all of Destiny 1's faults it was a huge game and people still continue to play it big numbers. The community if one of the best at supporting the game.

All people wanted was more content and more story. Hell that opening mission in the beta was more story and more engaging in all of Destiny 1. I can't wait for the full game. If they have a solid content rollout plan. Forget it. Destiny 2 will bet he biggest of 2017 and 2918.

Magwik

Banned
While I'm certainly expecting the game to do very well, this is some pretty weak PR on the beta front.

Pre-orders is a bit more meaningful as they're cratering across the industry, so merely "going up" is a lot more impressive than it sounds.
I will say beta numbers are impressive if they are including last gen in D1 numbers.

Syf

Banned
Vocal internet minority loses again
lol, yeah that about sums up most ActiBlizz quarterly reports. Still undecided on Destiny 2 myself. The lukewarm reaction to the beta has me waiting to see if 7.3 in WoW is good enough to just maintain my sub to that instead because I don't want two games of huge scale going at once. We'll see how many of my friends get it on PC too.

As an aside because I don't see a general thread, it's also interesting looking into the financial details. Blizzard is now about on par with Activision in terms of MAUs while eclipsing them in revenues, profits, and growth% since 2015. Things will change some in Q3 when D2 and CoD numbers come in fully but I think it's conventionally believed Activision is the larger of the two, and it may be time to change that thinking. Blizzard's growth in the last few years has been incredible.

TI82

Banned
That's interesting, more preorders on less platforms (D1 on PS3/4 and XB360/1, whereas D2 is only on PS4/XB1/PC) But then again on the otherhand D2 is on more diversified platforms? I dunno, looks fun.

carlsojo

Played the heck out of D1 and especially the Taken King. Skipped the beta
because I was moving across the country.
Haven't preordered yet either just because I don't see the need to.

That's surprising, because several people said it plays too much like Destiny 1, and I think the rare abilities and slow gunplay are somewhat less fun than Destiny 1. Perhaps it's appealing to players via graphical improvements or general AI buffs?

That's surprising, because several people said it plays too much like Destiny 1, and I think the rare abilities and slow gunplay are somewhat less fun than Destiny 1. Perhaps it's appealing to players via graphical improvements or general AI buffs?

Its not like Destiny's gameplay badly needed an overhaul.

And Bungie already confirmed that supers, grenades, and power ammo will be buffed for PbE.

celebi23

I think I will be passing on this one, but yeah this game is going to make Bungie that paper.....hopefully enough so they can hire people and revive that damn Marathon reboot that got cancelled!
Wait, what? Were they actually working on a Marathon reboot??? Damn, I played the hell out of those games on my family's first Mac. What the fans have done with Aleph One is amazing.

Lucifon

The beta unsold the game to myself and a bunch of others. I'm still in the maybe bucket, but I have multiple friends who've canceled pre-orders after the beta. If nobody I know is getting it on release then it seems pointless for me to either.

Smokey

?

You can play the beta without preorder... it was open to everybody in 3-4 days... only 2 days were closed to preorders.

If you wanted in right when it went live, preordering was the only way. I'm sure that played a role in these numbers.

urge26

While I haven't been jumping up and down upon the news of Destiny 2, and it's been quite the disappointment to be honest, Destiny is my favorite game of all time, and I've been playing games since the Atari 2600 days. There is a huge community regardless of the shit you read in every Destiny thread that's going to come back and D2 will be absolutely huge for Activision and Bungie despite the haters.

Raven117

YeeeHaawww! Bring on Destiny 2 baby.

Gaf stumbles on its own elitism often when it comes to the real popular games.

MCD250

For pre-orders, no, but for the beta, Ubisoft games routinely hit 6 million, while Overwatch got over 9 million, and EA games like Battlefield and Battlefront get in the 10-14 million range, versus Destiny 1, which was 4.6 million.

I was just kind of expecting growth there to be large enough to be worth highlighting.

Then again, maybe people know what they're getting to the extent they don't feel the need to play it.

It's going to assuredly sell quite well, however.

People who buy digitally pre-order way less often.
And as the digital share of sales grows, the trend grows as well. Of course. Makes sense.

Briarios

Well, with the beta start locked behind pre-orders, I'm not surprised pre-orders were up.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the statistic for cancelled pre-orders was also up.

If you wanted in right when it went live, preordering was the only way. I'm sure that played a role in these numbers.

I am curious to those canceled numbers. The game is polarizing here on GAF. The haters and lovers are extreme. I am psyched for it to be on PC.

Well, with the beta start locked behind pre-orders, I'm not surprised pre-orders were up.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the statistic for cancelled pre-orders was also up.

Again this argument holds no merit.

You had to pre-order to get early access to the Destiny 1 Beta. Its literally identical in how it worked.

Top Bottom