• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 - North American version - 720p support only? (photos)

Jim

Lookee what I got:

But, 720p is only listed? I don't have a 1080p set (yet), and others in the official thread seem to think the 1080p output was strange, sooo...?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

cool! it is already packaged and ready to ship ,but sadly waiting in some warehouse

since the arcade is 720p, I don't care if it doesn`t output 1080p.. i`m fine with 720p

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Wasn't the original game running in 720p anyway? Not sure why it'd be 1080p...

Haunted

Why the question mark? If that doesn't confirm it, nothing does. :)

But with the number of people that actually own an 1080p TV, I guess it's pretty much a non-issue.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
afaik the data is the same as the japanese release -- the language depends on your system settings. it's probably just a difference in the packaging. vf5 apparently upscales to 1080 anyway.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
what a stealthy way to rub it* in our face. :\

edit: *
that you have it.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm on of those 480p/1080i people. I just bought the virtua stick from play-asia. If it only does 720p locally, I guess I'll have to buy the japanese version. Can someone please get some solid info in here?

Jim

Yeah yeah.. sorry :) Everyone likes to brag a bit sometimes.

But the confusion caused by the released JP box:
IMG_1004.jpg

There's no way the JP codeset is different than the US one, so it's a typo on one or the other? The game obviously supports 480i/p, but it's not listed either.

Agent Icebeezy

2700KB on the Japanese PS3 and 2500KB on the NA PS3? I just hope I'm not going to be disappointed with this.

Wollan

I see that the cover info layout is different between the two versions. I hope the white spine bar doesn't return to the EU covers now. :/

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
just wait till the PAL version comes on a blue CD

downgrade total

KTallguy

Banned
1080p mode is probably upscaled.

On an SDTV, the game looks great already. 720p looks fricking amazing. This whole marketing talking point needs to die.

Agent Icebeezy

KTallguy said:
1080p mode is probably upscaled.

On an SDTV, the game looks great already. 720p looks fricking amazing. This whole marketing talking point needs to die.

But why would they change it? Should I just order the Japanese version of VF5 to be on the safe side. My TV is 1080i, no 720p. I don't want to play this in 480p.

Majmun

Agent Icebeezy said:
2700KB on the Japanese PS3 and 2500KB on the NA PS3? I just hope I'm not going to be disappointed with this.

Why should you?

It's just a save file...

oBa

Agent Icebeezy said:
But why would they change it? Should I just order the Japanese version of VF5 to be on the safe side. My TV is 1080i, no 720p. I don't want to play this in 480p.

Set the PS3 to output 720p, and unless your HDTV is a piece of crap it will take the 720p signal and upconvert it to 1080i.

KTallguy

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:

Hmmm, I really don't know.

I guess the best thing to do is wait for reports of upscaled 1080p in the US version...

Agent Icebeezy

oBa said:
Set the PS3 to output 720p, and unless your HDTV is a piece of crap it will take the 720p signal and upconvert it to 1080i.

Evidentally, my HDTV is a piece of crap because it doesn't have a scaler...(back to this again) Anyways, since 1080i is on the Japanese box, it should support that natively, right? If so, I'm going to buy that version of this game. It should reflect as English on my NA PS3, right?

scarybore

Wollan said:
I see that the cover info layout is different between the two versions. I hope the white spine bar doesn't return to the EU covers now. :/

I actually like that, means I don't have to spend a minute looking at messy logo's on the side to find the game I want. Also means its looks like part of a collection rather than a random assortment of games.

Would be nice if the EU boxes actually filled up that horrible blank space at the top of the box, that looks really ugly and cheap to me but thats obviously why they have the PS3 logo running down the side since its cheaper than to have 2 inserts.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Umm...doesn't matter if 720p is "good enough"

If the Japanese version supports 1080p but the US version only supports 720p, that's ****ing bullshit and we should all be furious.

Vashu

I just came in here to say that I hate you Jim... I hate you with my entire soul, may you rot in hell and your flesh be burned from your bones, your eyes pecked out by crows and your tongue taken by a cat. Then the devil himself would proceed to make sweet love to you.. Well, you know.. Over and over again, till the end of times.

Other than that, I really don't mind the game having no 1080p support, because it just looks frackin awesome! Too bad I have to wait a while, and I'm telling you it's been hard ever since I played the game in the arcades of Japan when I was there on vacation. :D

Enjoy the game, I certainly did, and in March or April (not quite sure when I'm gonna get the PS3) the unending pain in my heart will finally cease to be.

Dante

Fatghost said:
Umm...doesn't matter if 720p is "good enough"

If the Japanese version supports 1080p but the US version only supports 720p, that's ****ing bullshit and we should all be furious.

Might be because it's not native 1080p, maybe they are more strict over here with the "true HD" branding

Rhindle

If there was one genre that should readily support 1080p development, I would have thought it would be fighting games.

Agent Icebeezy

Dante said:
Might be because it's not native 1080p, maybe they are more strict over here with the "true HD" branding

it shouldn't be advertised that way if it isn't true. I've have the stick in transit and VF5 for PS3 reserved because of what it says on the back according to the japanese box. If I can't believe the maker of the game, then who can I believe?

oBa

Agent Icebeezy said:
Anyways, since 1080i is on the Japanese box, it should support that natively, right?

One would assume so yes, but I would ask in the official thread for some of our Japanese GAF friends to test it out for you to make sure.

Agent Icebeezy said:
It should reflect as English on my NA PS3, right?

Yes.

Dante

Agent Icebeezy said:
it shouldn't be advertised that way if it isn't true. I've have the stick in transit and VF5 for PS3 reserved because of what it says on the back according to the japanese box. If I can't believe the maker of the game, then who can I believe?

Which is why they aren't putting it on the US box, Besides when a game is 1080P usually Sony slaps a "Full HD" Tag in the front of the box.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Dante said:
Which is why they aren't putting it on the US box, Besides when a game is 1080P usually Sony slaps a "Full HD" Tag in the front of the box.

Ridge Racer 7 has 1080p support on the box but not a "Full HD" tag.

Dante

Fatghost said:
Ridge Racer 7 has 1080p support on the box but not a "Full HD" tag.

But I think RR7 is native 1080p, I don't think it's ever been determined if VF5 is upscaled or not.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Dante said:
But I think RR7 is native 1080p, I don't think it's ever been determined if VF5 is upscaled or not.

Yeah, it's native 1080p but it doesn't have any Full HD signs on it.

X360 games have 1080i/p on the box even if they are just upscaled.

Why would the Japanese box say 1080i/p but not the US one, whether it's upscaled or native?

The point is that the game can output in those resolutions. Resistance ONLY outputs in 720p, and that's all that's on the box.

It's a very strange omission and there is reason to be cnncerned, especially since it's Sega and Sega makes batshit decisions all the time.

Dante

Fatghost said:
Yeah, it's native 1080p but it doesn't have any Full HD signs on it.

X360 games have 1080i/p on the box even if they are just upscaled.

Why would the Japanese box say 1080i/p but not the US one, whether it's upscaled or native?

The point is that the game can output in those resolutions. Resistance ONLY outputs in 720p, and that's all that's on the box.

It's a very strange omission and there is reason to be cnncerned, especially since it's Sega and Sega makes batshit decisions all the time.

Yeah I'm confused also, the "Full HD" theory of mine was just that, a theory. I just figured it was upscaled, because people in the official thread said it looks better in 720p the 1080p

Bebpo

Banned
It's THE SAME GAME

US - CRAPPY 1080P/I supported

JAPAN - CRAPPY 1080P/I supported

-To use 1080i/1080p remove 720p check under display.

/THREAD

On my 1080i set, 1080i looks a tad sharper but more jaggie (Akira's hair has jaggies), 720p is softer with fewer jaggies.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Bebpo said:
It's THE SAME GAME

US - CRAPPY 1080P/I supported

JAPAN - CRAPPY 1080P/I supported

-To use 1080i/1080p remove 720p check under display.

/THREAD

On my 1080i set, 1080i looks a tad sharper but more jaggie (Akira's hair has jaggies), 720p is softer with fewer jaggies.

Good if true

Jim

6.jpg

Same with the JP box actually.

So even though it has the same label as Resistance, it actually supports 1080i "only" sets (which don't support 720p)? So in other words the resolution doesn't drop to 480p in that case?

boo7z

oBa said:

Haha I think you have "PS3" and "HDTV" mixed up in the above sentence regarding the piece of crap reference...tell me again why PS3 can't scale 720p to 1080i ???

Rhindle

Jim said:
6.jpg

Same with the JP box actually.

So even though it has the same label as Resistance, it actually supports 1080i "only" sets (which don't support 720p)? So in other words the resolution doesn't drop to 480p in that case?
We really need a new labelling convention for PS3 box covers.

There should be an indication of what resoultions the game natively renders in vs. resolutions that are supported through scaling.

Top Bottom