• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre download Xbox One X patches and copy games and apps across your network

Theorry

5a6cPXk.png

From the Gamescom show

Leyasu

Banned
Downloading patches before launch is a great touch. Only earlier today I was thinking that launch day would be spent downloading patches.

I think he mentioned that the transfer via network was a system option so should be working between regular Xbox ones as well right?

Nice if you have multiple xboxs in your house.

Bazookaxp

Someone explain this feature to me exactly.

So one console will download the game over the internet. The second console will see that the game is on the other console and just transfer the game over the home network without using your internet.

Microsoft already does this with windows updates on your network. Nice to see it reach the Xbox.

UraMallas

So one console will download the game over the internet. The second console will see that the game is on the other console and just transfer the game over the home network without using your internet.

So, if I'm planning on copying my 5TB drive over to an 8 TB drive when I get a One X (I'm keeping my old console and putting it in my room), I'd just do it with a USB cable and not worry about this? I'm not sure why you would do this instead of just copying over. Or can you not do that?

ethomaz

Banned
I have an ideia that could be nice.

You download the games in external HDD on your actual XB1 and just play it on XB1X without any download... using the same account of course.

I believe it is the best way and it works... unless I forget something.

Sony

Nintendo
Very near feature. For a second I thought they extended game sharing to consoles on the same network xD.

xabbott

The network transfer will help me a lot. We've got 4 XB1s in my house. It's something I've wanted for PS4 too. Sony did a good job with the regular PS4 to PS4 Pro xfer though. Just wish future downloads could xfer within my home.

Bazookaxp

So, if I'm planning on copying my 5TB drive over to an 8 TB drive when I get a One X (I'm keeping my old console and putting it in my room), I'd just do it with a USB cable and not worry about this? I'm not sure why you would do this instead of just copying over. Or can you not do that?

Well depending on your network it would probably be faster doing this over USB. What this does is stop my brother and I downloading the same game at the same time slowing down the overall network. Console A will download and console b will download the game over the network from the other Xbox.

m23

Maybe I'm misunderstanding...where does it say you can pre-download patches? It says download 4k patches for installed games ahead of time in the picture. So the game would already need to be installed?

Edit: Thanks to below.

Sounds like you can download 4k patches for games you already own.

I was hoping this would mean we could download / pre install any game before launch then put the disc in and start playing. Instead of how it works now where you put the disc in and have to download the day one update.

Maybe 1 day.

You download the games in external HDD on your actual XB1 and just play it on XB1X without any download... using the same account of course.

Thats already possible

MrBS

Network transfer is great, predownloading of 4K patches for your existing games is nice but extending to day on patches for retail would be better.

arhra

Some people never outgrow the built-in drive, and don't have/need externals.

If you have enough stuff to need an external, then yes, you can just copy to a new drive, move it over to the new system and that will work fine.

Should also be useful for people with bandwidth caps and multiple consoles - now you'll only need to take the bandwidth hit of downloading a game once, and can then copy over to your secondary system across your own internal network.

Yeah, this still works, this tool is just to pre download the 4k assets so when you move the external drive it's even there already.

ethomaz

Banned
Well....maybe not all people have external HDD's big enough to hold all their games/apps.

Not sure why you think options aren't a good thing, you're not forced to use just one.
I'm not complaining about the network option... I'm saying the external HDD is probably the faster and easy option.

That implies you're suggesting an idea.
I should not suggest an ideia that doesn't works lol

That could be crazy.

DesiacX

Is this the same as the Pro network transfer?

Similar, but no. The point of that is to copy everything from an old Ps4 to a new one at setup, and each system would do game downloads/updates separately from that point forward.

This appears to be more of a constant thing between a network of Xboxs, where if one Xbox downloads it, the other will copy it from that xbox as opposed to downloading it from the web.

UraMallas

Similar, but no. The point of that is to copy everything from an old Ps4 to a new one at setup, and each system would do game downloads/updates separately from that point forward.

This appears to be more of a constant thing between a network of Xboxs, where if one Xbox downloads it, the other will copy it from that xbox as opposed to downloading it from the web.

Okay. That is a great feature. Thanks for clarifying.

The network transfer thing sounds great, got a couple of Xbones in the house so it'll come in very handy. I didn't even know I wanted that feature.

Sanpei

i keep games on external HDD..Patches will be downloaded to usb, correct ?

So when i buy XboX, the game will load from usb without downloading patches ? Right ?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Why do you need to back up your settings? i would think the settings would just roam with your profile.

ronpontelle

Neo Member
I'm sure there's an option for downloading Switch patches from local users. Not that I've been in the same room as another Switch owner!

jsnepo

Windows 10 does this with Windows Update. You know what happened after that? Windows Updates download have become so slow. I hope this doesn't happen with the Xbox.

Top Bottom