• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns

ASaiyan

Banned
From an interview in the September edition of Game Informer, as quoted by ShineSparkers and Destructoid.

The full, direct quote:
”Through the development of Metroid: Samus Returns, I was able to really grasp the possibility and fun of a 2D Metroid. Like when I finished the first game, if there is another opportunity to make another Metroid, that is something that I would love to do. Of course, that really depends on how much people really want to buy a 2D Metroid."

I think everyone pretty much expected this, but now we have it confirmed from the mouth of the producer. I already have my copy preordered. What about you, GAF? Are you planning on buying Samus Returns? Skipping it even though you want more 2D Metroid (to boycott the amiibo locks, or because you just don't like how it looks)? Is it legitimate or BS for companies to keep passing off their support of a franchise/platform to "fan demand"?

Remake me and shutdown the fan version if old.

That's how business works! They won't keep making games if people don't buy them. Thankfully Samus Returns looks amazing so it should sell without much of a problem.

If a game doesn't sell despite being good then there's not much more you can do. (assuming it's good like the previews say)

Not really like saying "buy this chibi robo spin off that's not good if you want more chibi robo".

I don't mind the amiibo functionality and it is disappointing to hear that actual game modes are not accessible without a dumb plastic toy. Nevertheless, I will always support 2D Metroid, and absolutely will be voting with my wallet so hopefully a brand new title comes out on Switch.

KingBroly

Banned
What do I buy to get more Other M?

Tickets to Hell

This is the traditional Kiss of Death for any Japanese game company, Nintendo in particular. Lest we forget Chibi Robo. If a spinoff/remake is the determining factor for if a series is to continue or not, it's already Dead.

Don't be surprised when they say the same for Metroid Prime 4

"Buy 2D metroid get more 2D metroid." Makes sense to me.

Much better than the previous, "buy lightgun games, potentially get the survival horror series" test

Personally I really want Sakamoto to do another third-person Metroid with some 2D Elements. Not super interested in a 2D installment as much as wanting his continued involvement with Metroid.

jamwater

Banned
put a new 2d metroid on a system i have, and it has to run in sync native refresh, and it has to be cool, and it has to be good.
and it better not be 60 buks
my requirements

Much better than the previous, "buy lightgun games, potentially get the survival horror series" test

Yeah, pretty much. This isn't some Capcom test premise.
And the game looks good anyway besides the Amiibo shenanigans so for people like me, who do want more 2D Metroid there isn't all that much to complain about here.

Camjo-Z

This is the traditional Kiss of Death for any Japanese game company, Nintendo in particular. Lest we forget Chibi Robo. If a spinoff/remake is the determining factor for if a series is to continue or not, it's already Dead.

Don't be surprised when they say the same for Metroid Prime 4

I don't really see what's wrong with his statement. If you want more 2D Metroid, buy the new 2D Metroid they're putting out. This is not even remotely like Chibi-Robo where they wanted people to buy a game that was completely different from what fans wanted, which was even more obnoxious considering they didn't bother to localize the previous DS game that actually was what fans wanted.

Are you saying they should continue to make games for something that nobody buys?

You know, I actually agree with him, and most developers that do this. But man, people usually have a frothing fit because they feel like it's unfair, but who's gonna buy the next game if the first game didn't sell well?

Darkstalkers Res sold like shit, and fans are mad that their super niche fighting game didn't get a fair chance. Well, there you go.

Venfayth

I'll buy it used and sell it back when I'm done, thanks though. If the "2D Metroid" they're offering is a generation late and with shitty physical DLC toys locking behind significant content, I don't want it.

To me it reads more like: "Here's a 2D Metroid with shitty amiibo hooks designed to make as much cash as possible, oh and we're not releasing it on the Switch because although it's a great system the install base pales in comparison to the 3DS and we need to make as much money as possible"

Like, I get it. Tons of people want more 2D metroid - me among them - and Nintendo needs to make this worth it for them, but I'm really not OK with the decisions they're making here. I fully expect tons of Metroid fans to disagree with me, that's just how I personally feel.

I want to get it. I don't know if I'll be there day 1, but I'll be there eventually. Just graduated so I'm trying to save up all the money I can till I get a job.

MechaX

Yeah, luckily for Sakamoto, this kind of test not only seems logical, but Samus Returns is looking pretty good.

I am still mad at Capcom for those Wii "Tests."

KingBroly

Banned
I don't really see what's wrong with his statement. If you want more 2D Metroid, buy the new 2D Metroid they're putting out. This is not even remotely like Chibi-Robo where they wanted people to buy a game that was completely different from what fans wanted, which was even more obnoxious considering they didn't bother to localize the previous DS game that actually was what fans wanted.

Because it's a statement that shouldn't need to be made unless the series was on its' last legs.

I'm half debating getting a n3ds XL just for this.

Not just for this. But kinda

I'm not even a Metroid fan in particular, it just looks super cool. So...hopefully we will get more...but it really should be on Switch, even if its some Dragon QUest thing where the 3DSS gets a particular version while the "home console" gets the HD version.

Top Bottom