• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns

People want Samus Returns on Switch now for the same reasons they want Ultra Sun+Moon on Switch. It's the hot item. They want it on their TV in HD. Limited Games = More Exposure = Higher Sales
You're not gonna get this game on your XBox One, there are more XBox 360s out there so buy that system if you wanna play it!

People want Samus Returns on Switch now for the same reasons they want Ultra Sun+Moon on Switch. It's the hot item. They want it on their TV in HD. Limited Games = More Exposure = Higher Sales
Too bad the Switch wasn't the hot item when these games were being developed years ago.

Nohar

Sakomoto has been involved in development of every metroid since the 1st one with the exception of prime 2 and 3 and FF(jurys not out on hunters AFAIK)

You have very low trust in him

Yes, I have. Anyone would be distrustful after Other M.
I'm not going to list everything that went wrong with that game (it has been discussed to death). It is Sakamoto's job to earn back that trust. The ball is now in his court.

kc44135

not really comparable. The 3ds is a handheld, the switch is a homeconsole.

Oh really? I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but your Switch comes with this thing called a "Dock", and the Switch connects to it to display on your TV. But, you can also take it off the Dock, and it will suddenly become a portable console! Shocking, I know. It's almost like Nintendo named the system for your ability to Switch between the two!

yuoke

Banned
Oh really? I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but your Switch comes with this thing called a "Dock", and the Switch connects to it to display on your TV. But, you can also take it off the Dock, and it will suddenly become a portable console! Shocking, I know. It's almost like Nintendo named the system for your ability to Switch between the two!
Nintendo calls it a homeconsole.

Either way, this whole thing has been ridiculous. Sakamoto gave an offhand remark to gameinformer and was being honest. He wants to make more 2d metroid and will if this sells enough.

kc44135

Nintendo calls it a homeconsole.

Either way, this whole thing has been ridiculous. Sakamoto gave an offhand remark to gameinformer and was being honest. He wants to make more 2d metroid and will if this sells enough.

It's both, is the point I was making. It's the successor to both Wii U and 3DS. So, major 3D'S titles like Metroid should've been cross-gen releases, IMO.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nintendo should only release games for systems that are exactly 3 years old.

If they release a game too early, it will bomb because the fans don't have the system yet! See Splatoon 2, it could have sold a million day 1 in Japan if it was on Wii U!

If they release a game too late (say, six years) the usebase will be there but fans will have moved on from that old piece of shit hardware!

wait, people said this? lmao

yuoke

Banned
The Switch is actually a handheld.

I'm about to take it to the toilet while I shit my guts out. Can't exactly do that with a home console. nice try tho

Tell that to Nintendo then.

I don't remember people complaining about like A link between worlds or some other games not being ported.

yuoke

Banned
The Wii U wasn't a portable though, you keep making weird arguments.

How is it a weird argument? The switch is still a homeconsole, and the wii u had a second screen with the gamepad.

The lengths people are going at to find ways to complain is just ridiculous. People act like there is a magical port button that poofs a game out of nowhere.

This game looks ugly in videos and still shots, even when tiny

Does it look any better in person? Because I want to save 3D Metroid, but I gotta know this first

Does it look any better in person? Because I want to save 3D Metroid, but I gotta know this first
Most 3DS games tend to look a lot better in person, especially in 3D. Really, YouTube videos and still shots don't do 3DS games any favors

yuoke

Banned

I haven't yet, but going to on saturday at bestbuy so I will give impressions.

Everyone that has played it said it looks very good upclose.

Tell that to Nintendo then.

I don't remember people complaining about like A link between worlds or some other games not being ported.

They probably would have complained if ALBW came out on a last generation system.

People complained about Pokemon BW2 on DS over 3DS, people complained about GoW2 on PS2 over PS3. This isn't anything new.

yuoke

Banned
They probably would have complained if ALBW came out on a last generation system.

People complained about Pokemon BW2 on DS over 3DS, people complained about GoW2 on PS2 over PS3. This isn't anything new.

Do people know that games take time to make? They didn't just start making samus returns right at e3 or even right before that. There isn't a magical port button where they can just make the game appear.

Feffe

Some people here have an irrational hate for the 3DS. Releasing new games on a platform after the successor's out it's a common practice. This is a list of major first-party games released after their platform's successor was on the market -- I've left out some Japan-only titles for NES and SNES and games released some months *before* the launch of the successor (eg. Mario RPG).

Nobody back then complained about Mother 3, Kirby Mass Attack, Kirby's Adventure and DKC3, why should Metroid be a problem now?

NES
Fire Emblem Gaiden (1992, JP only)
Kirby's Adventure (1993)
Startropics 2 (1994, same year of PS1 launch!)

Super Nintendo
Donkey Kong Country 3 (1996)
Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (1996, JP only)
Marvelous: Another Treasure Island (1996, JP only)
Kirby's Dreamland 3 (1997 US, 1998 JP)
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (1999, JP only)

GameBoy
During the first two years most games for GBC were backwards compatible (Pokémon Yellow, Wario Land 2, Conker's Pocket Tales)

GameBoy Color
Pokémon Crystal (2001)
Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite! (2002)

GameBoy Advance
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (2005)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (2005)
WarioWare: Twisted! (2005)
Drill Dozer (2006)
Mother 3 (2006, JP only)
Rhythm Tengoku (2006, JP only)

Nintendo DS
Pokémon Black and White (2011)
Kirby Mass Attack (2011)
Pokémon Black and White (2012)
Pokémon Conquest (2012)

Toxi

Banned
It's hilarious when you consider that you miss out on say, additional skins and galleries and even the original Metroid if you didn't link ZM to MP2.
Huh, that's weird, I've never owned a Gameboy Advance link cable and yet I can still play the original Metroid in Zero Mission no problem.

D.Lo

Whatever your personal opinion on it, positioning wise 3DS is not a last gen system. Switch replaced Wii U and 3DS has even recently had a new model, its line lives on as Nintendo's current handheld. As a line it will presumably fold into Switch, but right now it is current gen.

Top Bottom