• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenberg: Expect to see more Japanese games coming to Xbox One

Yeah....i'll just simply say ''we'll see about that'' to this. On the other hand only a few months after Phil Spencer visited Japan we got games like Monster Hunter World, Code Vein, Sword Art Online and Dynasty Warriors 9 confirmed. And he did claim that there was a lot of interest and excitement for Scorpio/One X from Japanese publishers. But as exciting as this sound, i'm not gonna expect to see a ton of more Japanese games coming to Xbox. The simple sad fact remains that there's hardly any profit to be had there. I hope Monster Hunter World sells well otherwise i can see Capcom eventually decide to not bother with Xbox anymore either for Japanese games.

On to the story:

On Japanese games coming to Xbox:

Greenberg mentioned that Microsoft always had a deep respect for Japanese creators, and they worked with them on a number of projects both internally and on the third-party side. Phil Spencer himself cares a lot about Japanese developers, and working with them is a personal passion of his, as shown by the fact that he regularly goes to Japan to meet them.

According to Greenberg, we should expect to continue to see more and more Japanese games coming to Xbox One, and Microsoft is going to do as much as possible with them.
He also mentioned that Japanese creators are always among the first to adopt and experiment with new technology. With Xbox One X they've been working with local developers and heard good things from them. They'll wait until it's time to announce more, but it's important to both Microsoft and Phil Spencer, and they know that this matters to the fans.

On Scalebound

Speaking of Japanese games, we also asked about the extension of the trademark for Scalebound, wondering if Microsoft is still looking to do something with teh IP. Greenberg put rumors to rest explaining that the game was canceled, and that's the reality of the issue. He has a lot of respect for the Director, Hideki Kamiya, and he feels that everyone at Microsoft believed in the partnership with PlatinumGames and in the vision for the title. Yet, some times you just put the ingredients together and for whatever reason things don't work out. It happens with movie projects, music projects and any creative process, including video games.

Full article: http://www.dualshockers.com/xbox-one-japanese-games-aaron-greenberg/

Cubas

Meh, talking is the easy part. They've been saying this for ages and we have no reason to believe the landscape is changing anytime soon.

DJwest

Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey are two of the key reasons I bought a 360. I hope MS can surprise me with new Jrpgs

1317_emoji_iphone_thinking_face.png

Asd202

They really need it thanks to Japanese 3rd party support PS4 library this year shit on Xbox's from a great height.

Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey are two of the key reasons I bought a 360. I hope MS can surprise me with new Jrpgs

Not happening and after Scalebound fiasco I doubt any Japanese dev will want to make a Xbox exclusive any time soon.

pswii60

Microsoft isn't just competing with Sony for support from Japanese publishers, but Nintendo with Switch now too. They'll only get the games with mainstream Western appeal. Everything else will remain exclusively on the other two platforms. And yes I'm stating the bleeding obvious.

PulseMC

Neo Member
Didn't they say the same thing last year, and maybe the year before as well? I know games don't magically appear overnight, but if Japanese developers were really that important to them, Dragon Ball Fighter Z wouldn't be the only big Japanese game announced for the Xbox One right now.

Arzehn

More multiplats is good for already existing Xbox owners, but it's not going to move the needle. If they want a NEW audience (one that will actually buy the multiplats too) they need to invest again like they did with 360.

On Demand

Banned
Meh, talking is the easy part. They've been saying this for ages and we have no reason to believe the landscape is changing anytime soon.

There's been plenty of recent announcements of Japanese games and besides SAO, (which adopts a new shooter mechanic), none of them are on XB1. Shouldn't expect more than what we saw at E3.

LKSmash

Not the best timing with that Secret of Mana port and Fist of the North Star both going Sony's way in the past 24 hours.

I hear that all the time and the confirmed titles arent shocking to be multiplatform.

Its better than nothing Inafune would say.

But at least they got the trailer of the to quote Phil Spencer "hilarious" Dragon Ball FighterZ.

tribal24

Banned

Yeah they need to bring stuff back from previous gene that were relevant during 360 era. Lost oddesy , blue dragon , the last remnant. First party and third party wise. I'm not talking about Just buying out exclusivity either , they need to make the effort to see what gamers enjoyed during the 360 era enjoyed.

pswii60

It was pretty brutal in particular because a lot of those games also came to PC.
I wonder, do publishers also get discounted license fees from Sony if the games don't come out on any other console within a certain time period? I remember Microsoft doing this in the early 360 days, not sure if it became a thing in the wider industry. Competition laws might have made it a thing of the past.

The narrative this generation continues to be that the PS4 gets tons of great, exclusive Japanese games that the Xbox does not. They would be wise to actively get those games and remove another barrier that is preventing people from buying an Xbox.

I think we can expect a few announcements here and there but I wouldn't take this to mean a flood of them will start coming in. It is better than nothing though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
How likely they will gonna get games like Dragon Quest XI and Ni no Kuni 2 on xbox?
Im guessing the Japanese games they do get are mostly also coming out on PS4 and PC. I don't think they are able to get exclusive Japanese game like they did on 360.

I would love one of those to be Nier Automata.
I find weird that Nier Automata didn't come out on XBX1 even though the original game did. I guess they thought this game wouldn't do well sale wise because how original NieR did.

HotHamBoy

I want to know what happened with fighting games between last gen and this gen because outside of KI Xbox has been shafted on a lot of great stuff.

King of Fighters 14
Guilty Gear Xrd series
BlazBlue Central Fiction
Street Fighter V
USFIV
Injustice 1 Ultimate Ed
Skullgirls 2nd Encore
Nitro Plus

Those first three are particularly glaring.

Dissidia NT is also not coming to XB

How likely they will gonna get games like Dragon Quest XI and Ni no Kuni 2 on xbox?
Im guessing the Japanese games they do get are mostly also coming out on PS4 and PC. I don't think they are able to get exclusive Japanese game like they did on 360.

Isnt Ni No Kuni 2 nigh impossible? I"ve never seen a Level 5 game on Xbox

Has anyone on the Xbox team said this before? Aside from the whole thing regarding Phil"s flight to Japan

Not that I recall. We had Phil saying he was going to Japan. Then afterwards he said there was a lot of excitement for the Scorpio and Xbox One and that was pretty much it. Then during E3 we got some Japanese games confirmed that most definitely was the result of that trip. Monster Hunter World for damn sure.

But yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up for anything else.

Boke1879

To be fair they probably got some games on Xbox during Spencers visit that are not announced yet.

Nah if they did they would have announced them at E3. There aren't any events where MS could announce such a thing. They have virtually no presence at TGS.

And already a game like DBFigherz which they seems to have a deal with is probably skewing more PS4.

I think the problem is that the games probably don't sell well at all. Dynasty Warriors 9 is already a niche prospect on the PS4 with a huge fanbase for Japanese games -- how's that going to perform on the Xbox One, and does it sound like it's worth the effort?

I guess one solution would be for Microsoft to literally pay to port the games to their console, but that would mean them having to open their chequebook rather than pay lipservice.

Not that I recall. We had Phil saying he was going to Japan. Then afterwards he said there was a lot of excitement for the Scorpio and Xbox One and that was pretty much it. Then during E3 we got some Japanese games confirmed that most definitely was the result of that trip. Monster Hunter World for damn sure.

But yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up for anything else.

MHW wasn't the result of that trip. That game has been in development for a long time.

Dynomutt

I mean Secret of Mana, Yakuza Kiwami 2, and Fist of the North Star were all announced with no mention of Xbox availability.

When it comes to Papanese games and Xbox it's like that person that smooth talks to get the goods out of the relations then they dip. MS smooth talked with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, and Infinite Undiscovery once the got Final Fantasy 13 they dipped. They have a decent relationship with Bandai-Namco and Square so out of the major releases I can't say I see too much. But hey we'll see!

jayu26

I find weird that Nier Automata didn't come out on XBX1 even though the original game did. I guess they thought this game wouldn't do well sale wise because how original NieR did.
If you or anyone is hoping for Level 5 game to ever appear on Xbox you can stop right now. It ain't happening.

tribal24

Banned
The narrative this generation continues to be that the PS4 gets tons of great, exclusive Japanese games that the Xbox does not. They would be wise to actively get those games and remove another barrier that is preventing people from buying an Xbox.

The problem is getting those games will not break the barrier if people don't buy them. They have to look at what works and test the limit to see what Japanese games will do well over here for their market. So just have to put more effort.

Ni No Kuni 2 should be possible but if there is still a grudge from Level 5, even if the folks at MS right now weren't responsible for it, that would be a bit much. Get over it and port the game over.

Oh I also recall Phil saying he wouldn't give up on the Japanese market or was it games? Because if he meant the former, he really should give up.

Top Bottom