• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenberg: Expect to see more Japanese games coming to Xbox One

Asd202

Nah if they did they would have announced them at E3. There aren't any events where MS could announce such a thing. They have virtually no presence at TGS.

And already a game like DBFigherz which they seems to have a deal with is probably skewing more PS4.

I feel like Dragon Ball FighterZ would have been on Xbox anyway regadless of Phils trip or not. I mean it's Dragon Ball.

Not that I recall. We had Phil saying he was going to Japan. Then afterwards he said there was a lot of excitement for the Scorpio and Xbox One and that was pretty much it. Then during E3 we got some Japanese games confirmed that most definitely was the result of that trip. Monster Hunter World for damn sure.

But yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up for anything else.

You're putting way too much stock in that trip. It's not like Capcom were one of the Japanese publishers avoiding Xbox, if anything they gave it way more support than the others. Same thing goes with Dynasty Warriors (all the mainline entries appear on Xbox) and Code Vein (which is clearly Souls inspired).

You know what would be real proof of more Japanese support? A Japanese Square Enix game, because the last one they announced for Xbox was FF Type-0 in 2014.

Slime

Banned
This will always be a hollow promise. You might get a handful of token Microsoft-funded exclusives each generation, which is great, but there will never be a steady flow of Japanese games on Xbox with the way things are.

Phil, just fucking do it already. The point of the Xbox One X should be to play all the best versions of games, and that means having the game available on the system in the first place. Literally dozens of exclusives on other consoles are only exclusive because Xbox doesn't get them by default. If I was Phil, I'd keep following the mantra if GaaS for Xbox One (since MS does it better than competitors), BUT I would also have a third party team available for getting every and all games available on Xbox, even if only digitally to start.

Start out with only digital versions of games if they're too niche to get a disk version, let the audience and user base build up. Send teams to help port games that already have a Windows version; look at what small MS teams can do with complicated PC games like PUBG and PoE, you're telling me you can't get a quick port of NieR done and test the waters? A game that had it's predecessor out on Xbox 360? Comparing sales to Japanese consoles with established fanbases is irrelevant. Do it like Steam did. According to Streamspy, some JRPG games sell abysmally, but nonstop support, ports and games have the Steam base buying more and more Japanese games.

Some of the anime and jrpg Clubs on Xbox have followers/members in the hundred thousands. Dark Souls has a MASSIVE Xbox fanbase. I mean, theres an audience there. Your console isn't that popular in the eastern part of the world, and it's up to you to fix that.

Asd202

I mean Secret of Mana, Yakuza Kiwami 2, and Last Battle were all announced with no mention of Xbox availability.

When it comes to japanese games and Xbox it's like that person that smooth talks to get the goods out of the relations then they dip. MS smooth talked with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, and Infinite Undiscovery once the got Final Fantasy they dipped. They have a decent relationship with Bandai-Namco and Square so out of the major releases I can say I see too much. But hey we'll see!

Square basically put out only XV on xbox. All DQ games this gen(Heroes I and II, Builders, X, XI) FF remasters/remakes(X, XII, XIV, 7R), all of the KH remasters, Nier, Dissidia, Secret of Mana remake, Tokyo factory RPGs are not on Xbox...

I really wouldn't call it good relationship but hey there getting KH III (probably because they announced the game for Xbox before the gen started or Disney)

Dynomutt

Square basically put out only XV on xbox. All DQ games this gen(Heroes I and II, Builders, X, XI) FF remasters/remakes(X, XII, XIV, 7R), all of the KH remasters, Nier, Dissidia, Secret of Mana remake, Tokyo factory RPGs are not on Xbox...

I really wouldn't call it good relationship but hey there getting KH III (probably because they announced the game for Xbox before the gen started or Disney)

Lol ok decent! Touche.

jayu26

Yeah, good point. I never looked at it that way. With that in mind it's rather disappointing what really came from that trip then. E3 or GC would have been the right moment to announce things.
One trip wasn't going fix the problem Japanese games have on Xbox. All the Japanese 360 exclusives some people talked about in thread sold like shit. All the non-exclusives skewed heavily in PlayStation's favour even in US and UK last gen. This generation, with the way it is going, it was always going to be tough for them to convince Japanese games to come back (other than big tent-poles).
Tales of Vesperia 2 would be a great start.
After Vesperia 360 nearly destroyed the Tales of... franchise in Japan, and PS3 version rescued it, one of the devs flat out said, "we know where are audience is and we will make games accordingly" or something like that.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Seems they need to get the ball rolling by paying for some ports.

I would have shelled out to get Square to port Nier Automata, for one.

They aren't going to convince many Japanese devs through words alone, money talks.

Fukuzatsu

I live in a major city in Japan (Fukuoka), and my local GEO literally does not sell Xbox Ones, used, new, or otherwise. They have exactly 5 Xbox One games (on a single rack along with 360 and OG Xbox games) for sale, and well, if you look at their sales numbers for Japan you can likely guess why this might be. Just in case you might think this is a weird one-off case, the Best Denki across from City Hall also does not sell Xbox Ones. Yodobashi is the only place I have seen it, in a section about 1/5th that of the PS4 section, if even that big.

Xbox One undersold the PS3 and Wii U this past month. I'll just leave it at that.

Jawmuncher

Get more Japanese games in general even in just the now west would even the playing field for MS in a sense. Since even if they're not "actual exclusives" they basically look like it since the company feels it's a waste of resources to do so. Not quite sure how MS can really interest Japanese devs outside perhaps offering some deals or smaller cuts to their profits.

I mean, Xbox does get a few Japanese games. Basically games based on anime popular in the West (DBZ, Naruto, Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan), games in a genre already proven to be successful on Xbox (Dark Souls, Code Vein), and big tentpoles with long reputations (FFXV, KH3, MHW). Don't expect more than that, not when most Japanese publishers focus on Japan first, then consider the western market after. Xbox is non-existent in their domestic market, so it doesn't make sense to develop for the platform unless 1. You are for sure localizing the title and 2. The title has mainstream western appeal. Otherwise any time spent developing on Xbox is wasted resources.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If MS make the impossible possible by bringing Persona 5 to xbox. That might prove if they are serious about this.

Asd202

I live in a major city in Japan (Fukuoka), and my local GEO literally does not sell Xbox Ones, used, new, or otherwise. They have exactly 5 Xbox One games (on a single rack along with 360 and OG Xbox games) for sale, and well, if you look at their sales numbers for Japan you can likely guess why this might be.

Xbox One undersold the PS3 and Wii U this past month. I'll just leave it at that.

Yeah there is a big problem when Japanese developers have to make a decisions wether to make an Xbox version of a game that will literally not sell in their home market and also with how WW sales numbers are skewed towards PS4 it's really hard to justify a such ports.

If MS make the impossible possible by bringing Persona 5 to xbox. That might prove if they are serious about this.
This is not going to happen. Even if Microsoft fully paid for the port, that's still time Atlus could be spending developing another title that will sell in the Japanese market and overseas on a platform with Atlus fans. Maybe if Xbox hired and outside studio to port it, published it themselves, took all the risk themselves, and gave Atlus a nice payout...and then the game would move less than 50k copies, rendering the entire endeavor utterly pointless.

On Demand

Banned
I mean, Xbox does get a few Japanese games. Basically games based on anime popular in the West (DBZ, Naruto, Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan), games in a genre already proven to be successful on Xbox (Dark Souls, Code Vein), and big tentpoles with long reputations (FFXV, KH3, MHW). Don't expect more than that, not when most Japanese publishers focus on Japan first, then consider the western market after. Xbox is non-existent in their domestic market, so it doesn't make sense to develop for the platform unless 1. You are for sure localizing the title and 2. The title has mainstream western appeal. Otherwise any time spent developing on Xbox is wasted resources.

That's basically what they told Phil Spencer based on his tweet.

Fukuzatsu

Oh mate, that is a laugh. The only MegaTen game that has ever been on an Xbox console was a game exclusively designed for the classic Xbox back when Atlus thought an MMO on consoles was a cool idea (and then canned the project in favour of IMAGINE on the PC).

Now, in 2017, with the XO doing even worse than said classic Xbox or 360, a port of a JRPG that isn't even coming to Switch...now that would be something.

LordKasual

Banned
this is Microsoft's version of Nintendo's "We have 3rd parties who are very interested in working with us", isn't it

The God

so whatever's next from places like From Software and Capcom. basically stuff they weren't already missing out on.

That's basically what they told Phil Spencer based on his tweet.
Yup, it's a no-win situation for them. I mean, if Xbox wants to act like a localization company, license the rights publish the title on their platform and pay for the port to their platform, then I'm sure some Japanese devs would do it. But Xbox would be throwing away money doing that, because the games won't sell enough to be worth it.

NieR:Automata most likely will never come to Xbox, sadly.

The game is published by Sony is Asia and iirc, that was for assistance with providing Asian languages that weren't Japanese.

It seems like whenever Sony publishes something themselves, it never leaves the ecosystem. It's sort of why I never expected Kingdom Hearts to go to Xbox -- Sony published the game in Europe.

n7QQAE4.jpg

Here we go.

I know it wasn't actually lewd, but they knew exactly what they were doing with that title.

TechOne

We heard this from Phil a few years back and nothing really has come.

So I got tired of waiting and decided to pick up a PS4 for Nier, Berseria, Yakuza and Persona 5.

Ricky_R

Let's take it at face value and trust they will come. Then they will not be supported and they will go back to not release them.

Top Bottom