• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Switch keeps dominating PS4 sales in Japan (first 26 weeks sales data)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kotaku said:
in each console's first 26 weeks on sale in Japan, the Nintendo Switch posted significantly better sales numbers than the PS4 did.

let's look at how the two consoles stack up in their first 26 weeks on sale in the country, with sales figures from respected retail tracker MediaCreate.

The character 週 in the far left common means ”week." So 1週 is the ”first week," 2週 is the ”second week," and so on.

ldubrqskcz6ph8jth1xb.png

Kotaku said:
The total sales for the PS4 in its first 26 weeks on sale in Japan is 665,760 units sold. The PlayStation 4 has been a very successful console for Sony in Japan with healthy sales.

The Switch's sales figures are healthier. In its first 26 weeks on sale in Japan, the Nintendo Switch has sold 1,527,962 units. In comparison, it took Sony 69 weeks in Japan to hit 1,523,471 units sold.

Article has charts: http://kotaku.com/the-nintendo-switch-keeps-outselling-the-ps4-in-japan-1798691215

Edit: Adding this to the OP

Even if Switch is a handheld it's a handheld selling at a home console price with home console priced software.

sphinx

the piano man
but by all means, Japanese pubs, keep giving the switch roms, rehashes and overpriced retro shit.

sooo smart

The Switch is the smartest idea Nintendo has come up with in well over a decade. They were able to create a single piece of hardware that is appealing to different types of consumers on a global scale. Great to see it doing so well in Japan (and almost everywhere else as well).

Zukkoyaki

The Switch/PS4 combo (plus PC and Vita) is going to help keep the Japanese games industry healthy and I love it!

I mean, it's a hybrid portable sooo that's expected. Congrats to Nintendo though, regardless. Hopefully this means more 3ds/ps4 levels of japanese support down the line.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
There really isn't much to analyze here. Switch LTD will probably be at least half of PS4's by December.

Whether it can keep pace with 3DS, etc is a lot more interesting.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Yeah, it's safe to say, Nintendo is back.

I wonder if the Switch could eventually overtake the PS4 worldwide.

I mean no shit? Switch is successor to 3DS. Handheld that has sold over 23 million units in Japan. It was never a question which one will sell more in Japan.

Xandremi

The Switch fits in with the Japanese lifestyle, not surprising see how handheld/mobile have dominated the gaming landscape for years now.

The PS4 had a terrible start so this isn't really a fair comparison.

The Switch will do very well in Japan, this is just the start.

Edit: ok since people have been tearing into me for this, replace the word "fair" with "good" and it makes more sense.

The PS4 had a terrible start so this isn't really a fair comparison.

The Switch will do very well in Japan, this is just the start.

I thought the idea was to compare the first weeks as they are doing now? The comparison seems fair, given the parameters for the supplied data.

When has Nintendo not dominated the handheld market.
As few have suggested I'd like to see a 3ds comparison. Ultimately that's where I think the switch will end up numbers wise.

Salvadora

Nintendo has, crucially, planned software releases incredibly well.

Zelda, Mario Kart, and Splatoon out within 6 months of launch has given the Switch significant momentum.

I can only see that continuing into 2018 due to the singular platform focus.

Atheerios

As few have suggested I'd like to see a 3ds comparison. Ultimately that's where I think the switch will end up numbers wise.
So far the Switch was pretty much on par with 3DS and even better, but because of the continued stock problems, it doesn't look like the Switch Y1 will surpass 3DS Y1

CrisKre

The Switch is, conceptually, probably my favorite system ever.

And its first year in the market is poised to have my favorite first year when it comes to software releases as well.

What a turnaround Nintendo has made. It defies belief, just a year ago we where so down on the company, and now look at them. Never count Nintendo out has been true all along folks.

Probably the craziest thing is actually how good the 3ds still sells worldwide. They´ve been so smart all around since the release of Switch.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I was expecting the concept to take of in Japan but I wasn't keen of it being successfull at that price and with that lineup
So far it has been positioned as a home console in terms of price and software, being pitched this way also to third parties that in fact aren't on board as they would have been for a 3DS successor and weren't planning support looking at it as a wii u successor

Mikey Jr.

Sony made the right move focusing on every other country besides Japan. Ps4 didn't even launch there till a few months later.

Selling in Japan is nice, but console wise, they are a lost cause. Do what you can there, but focus on other more important markets.

Seems to be working wonders for Sony this gen.

Pre-price drop for 3DS, the Switch was neck and neck with it, despite production issues and a higher price.

It'll be almost impossible for Switch to outsell 3DS post price drop though for the remainder of its first year, since Nintendo's supply problems still exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom