• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Switch keeps dominating PS4 sales in Japan (first 26 weeks sales data)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That's a excellent point and something getting lost in this heavily revisionist thread.

For all the "of course its selling great its a handheld!" talk, Switch costs a lot more than any previous Nintendo handheld. 3DS needed a price drop from $250 to catch fire in Japan. Switch is selling out at a higher price and won't need a price cut for a long time.

Yup. Like I said I think Japan was always going to be an easier sell, but people are acting like they all predicted this would happen even though Switch is a hybrid and most were skeptical about that.

*In Japan only

:p

Do they have to be "dominating" everywhere to be back? The only thing I'd question for outside Japan is momentum, but they should be fine for 2017.

Handheld sells better than console in Japan. I'm fucking shocked honestly, thought this would be a mop for PS4. Japanese gamers love consoles!

Sony dropped Japan like a hot potato with the late launch and simply not focusing on a market that should be like 10%? Makes all the support they've been getting from there even more baffling, although Japan also learned what ww sales mean over the last decade.

Seeing as we're dismissing the PS4 comparison because Switch is a handled, I'd actually be interested to know how Switch compares to the Vita's launch.

Surely the charts and the fact that nintendo has demonstrably dominated handheld market speaks volumes people wouldn't...

.... nevermind.

No-one cares about the semantics around whether or not you'd class the Switch as a 'handheld'. That's irrelevant to this thread- we're talking about markets, and the Switch isn't part of the handheld market, with the 3DS and Vita. It's part of the console market, with the PS4 and XBONE- in terms of pricing, marketing, and even positioning in retail and online stores.

AniHawk

but by all means, Japanese pubs, keep giving the switch roms, rehashes and overpriced retro shit.

sooo smart

japanese support is on the way. there's a half-dozen games that i am aware of and i'm not really that privy to those details these days.

LordofPwn

switch0.jpg

ps4.jpg

Both Switch and PS4 are doing pretty similarly to their predecessors. This whole thread is pretty much non news. Well i guess there is plenty of people that don't visit weekly Media Create threads.
this is very helpful.

Basically Switch was starting to outpace 3DS (even with its supply constraints) but then 3DS got a price cut for week 25 and unless Nintendo can magically increase shipment numbers it probably wont ever catch back up. But if Nintendo can keep spreading these games out evenly it should stay fairly linear. If things slow down I could see a price cut coming but that wont be for awhile. Next big title is Mario and thats a little less than 2 months out. I expect they'll sell well over 100k units that week. Have to imagine they are already holding stock back for it.

Aww I didn't post in that thread. I can't completely remember but I don't think I was high on the Switch at all. Would have been fun to see how I would have slandered the hell out of it back then.

I had to have posted somewhere... we need a crow thread to dig those posts up.

lol @ attempting to basically write off sales for an entire region for console gaming.

Yeah GL with that.

I posted in that thread. Here is what I said...

Depends how much devs treat it like a handheld vs console. There is a fine balance, but if it gets the support as all of Nintendo handhelds have had, it will be extremely successful. I'm extremely scared that it will get the Wii U treatment, but as I've stated, I get Nintendo consoles for 1st party experiences.

That thread was terrible though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
"Poor" PS4 only had pretty much every japanese 3rdParty console game more or less as an exclusive for that market for 3 years....unfair. Between all the PSV/PS3 ports and getting big games announced like KH3/FFXV announced very early you cant complain too much about that lineup. Pretty much everything possible came or was planned for the system.

But yeah as of now Switch should probably compared to the dominating leader consoles like PS2 and DS/3DS - if it wasnt for the shortages the gap would be even wider between Switch and PS4.

DayEnder

Switch is doing well. Strange comparison to make since they are pretty different and the launch price for Switch was $300 US vs. PS4 for $400 US. Not sure it would be exactly $100 US price difference when converted to yen at launch dates...but I imagine price would impact adoption rates too.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Switch is doing well. Strange comparison to make since they are pretty different and the launch price for Switch was $300 USD vs. PS4 for $400 USD. Not sure it would be exactly $100 USD price difference when converted to yen at launch dates...but I imagine price would impact adoption rates too.

How on Earth is it a strange comparison? They are both in the same market, competing for the same dollars and (largely) the same publisher support.

Well, we're only 8 months removed from everyone thinking the Switch was dead on announcement, so I dunno.

That thread is pure gold.

Wii U numbers at launch, worse than Wii U numbers for first year.

Dependent on the software, price cuts etc, it may get a 3DS style resurgence during Year 2 to enjoy acceptable sales.

Nintendo gonna bring out a "new handheld" in 2-3 years.

edit - when all is said and done:

No 3DS ressurgence: Lifetime sales of 10m or less
3DS ressurgence: 18-22m

schuelma

mostly beyond them. although nisa's been a pretty big advocate. its importance was kind of a joke right around launch, but disgaea 5's success had some unexpected shockwaves.

cool, thanks for the info

DayEnder

How on Earth is it a strange comparison? They are both in the same market, competing for the same dollars and (largely) the same publisher support.

One is a home console and the other is a hybrid handheld?

Xb1 was $100 more expensive than the PS4 at launch but people (rightfully) compared the sales data between them

Both are home consoles serving largely the same market.

Edit: If I'm looking for a handheld PS4 and Xbox One are out of the question entirely.

daman824

Switch is doing well. Strange comparison to make since they are pretty different and the launch price for Switch was $300 US vs. PS4 for $400 US. Not sure it would be exactly $100 US price difference when converted to yen at launch dates...but I imagine price would impact adoption rates too.
Xb1 was $100 more expensive than the PS4 at launch but people (rightfully) compared the sales data between them

Im not surprised about Japan because they love Nintendo and Pokemon and have the more appealing Japanese games.

Still, Im surprised at how successful Switch has been overall. Still curious how it performs 2018 though.

ReaperXL7

That's great news that the Switch is doing well in Japan but I'd also be curious as to how it's doing against the competition worldwide.

Most 3rd parties outside of Japan aren't going to look at Japan as the basis for wether a system is a success or not. So far it doesn't even seem like Japanese 3rd parties have much faith in the system and may have been caught with their pants down.

I don't know, despite this being my first Nintendo console since the SNES I've really enjoyed it. I just hope the success that it's had actually translates to worthwhile support from developers.

Nimby

Banned
Isn't the Switch severely supply constrained there as well? They are still huge lines outside of stores and most still go home empty handed.

zelas

That's a excellent point and something getting lost in this heavily revisionist thread.

For all the "of course its selling great its a handheld!" talk, Switch costs a lot more than any previous Nintendo handheld. 3DS needed a price drop from $250 to catch fire in Japan. Switch is selling out at a higher price and won't need a price cut for a long time.
If caveats are going to be introduced then we shouldnt fail to point out that the 3DS held that price point with Vita and its superior hardware on its heels. Meanwhile the Switch has no handheld competition and is behind the 3DS that didnt catch fire to start with as you stated.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I mean no shit? Switch is successor to 3DS. Handheld that has sold over 23 million units in Japan. It was never a question which one will sell more in Japan.

The Switch is a home console that can be used portably, not a handheld.

schuelma

If caveats are going to be introduced then we shouldnt fail to point out that the 3DS held that price point with Vita and its superior hardware on its heels. Meanwhile the Switch has no handheld competition and is behind the 3DS that didnt catch fire to start with as you stated.

Its not a caveat to say that Switch is not a typical Nintendo handheld in terms of hardware and software price. It has real implications for its long term selling power in terms of potential price drops, etc.

And you know as well as I do the only reason its behind 3DS is because supply is woefully inadequate right now. And if 3DS hadn't received its emergency price cut it would be behind already.

The rationalizations to explain away Switch Japan success is something to watch.

CrisKre

Handheld sells better than console in Japan. I'm fucking shocked honestly, thought this would be a mop for PS4. Japanese gamers love consoles!

If only Switch was a hybrid and had console prices in hardware and software right?

Stop with the over simplifyed revisionist history.

The Switch is a home console that can be used portably, not a handheld.

Nintendo is not going to launch separate handheld device anymore. Switch is also their successor to their handheld line and so it's also handheld. I don't know why people deny this so much. I mean it's going to get the mainline Pokemon game.

FinalAres

This thread is pure marketing. Why do Nintendo fans feel the need to fuel the flames of hyperbole with their bullshit.

I am a Switch owner, I am happy. Lets look at clear numbers in a year, instead of trying to twist numbers clouded by launch fanboyism (positive) and supply constraints (negative). We don't know how successful the Switch is. We don't know if it's more successful than the PS4. We just know it's far from a failure.

EDIT: man I was so drunk when I wrote this. What was I even saying? Switch may or may not be successful so let's not try and discuss how successful Switch may or may not be?

lyrick

This thread is pure marketing. Why do Nintendo fans feel the need to fuel the flames of hyperbole with their bullshit.

I am a Switch owner, I am happy. Lets look at clear numbers in a year, instead of trying to twist numbers clouded by launch fanboyism (positive) and supply constraints (negative). We don't know how successful the Switch wad. We don't know if it's more successful than the PS4. We just know it's far from a failure.

I'm shocked that a PS4 outside of a window in the rain gif hasn't been posted yet.

If one of those exists...

schuelma

I am a Switch owner, I am happy. Lets look at clear numbers in a year, instead of trying to twist numbers clouded by launch fanboyism (positive) and supply constraints (negative). We don't know how successful the Switch is. We don't know if it's more successful than the PS4. We just know it's far from a failure.

wait what?

This thread is pure fact.

Your post reads like salty fanboyism tbh.

Nanashrew

Banned

What? This doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom