• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Switch keeps dominating PS4 sales in Japan (first 26 weeks sales data)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS4 didn't have any great Japanese games for awhile and it was $100 more expensive than Switch. Guess kotaku don't take price into account

....I'm not sure why that matters. It's not Nintendo's fault Sony chose to have a lackluster Japanese lineup.

The price was always considered reasonable for the specs PS4 had. In fact, a lot of people at E3 went nuts for the pricing.

These arguments are frankly ridiculous. "YEAH WELL THE SWITCH IS ONLY DOING BETTER BECAUSE IT HAS BETTER GAMES AND IS PRICED CHEAPER" ...okay lol? What's your point?

This thread is pure marketing. Why do Nintendo fans feel the need to fuel the flames of hyperbole with their bullshit.

I am a Switch owner, I am happy. Lets look at clear numbers in a year, instead of trying to twist numbers clouded by launch fanboyism (positive) and supply constraints (negative). We don't know how successful the Switch is. We don't know if it's more successful than the PS4. We just know it's far from a failure.

What is this post, this thread is pretty tame

Look at the PS4 sales threads if you want to see fanboyism

"Boom."

banderas.gif

"The king is back"

"Great job Sony"(before it even had games)

knack.gif

"This is great for the industry"

Cipherr

"Well its obvious it would sell well in Japan, its a handheld!"

"What about the Vita?"

"Well that's different, it has to be made by Nintendo to 'count'."

"3DS was not doing well at the high price point; shouldn't that be affecting the Switch as well then?."

"..."

ianpm31

....I'm not sure why that matters. It's not Nintendo's fault Sony choose to have a lackluster Japanese lineup.

The price was always considered reasonable for the specs PS4 had. In fact, a lot of people at E3 went nuts for the pricing.

The west went nuts as you could see how great of a start it had. Japan is a different story. The switch is not doing PS4 numbers world wide or in the west launch aligned but is kotaku writing articles about that?

To all the people who responded to my post:

I am drunk.

It could have been a lot worse considering.

image.php

"Well its obvious it would sell well in Japan, its a handheld!"

"What about the Vita?"

Vita did way better in Japan than anywhere outside of Japan so if anything this strengthens the argument for handhelds being way more appealing in japan.

"Well that's different, it has to be made by Nintendo to 'count'."

"3DS was not doing well at the high price point; shouldn't that be affecting the Switch as well then?."

Even pre-price cut 3DS sales are way beyond early PS4 (or PS3) sales

Sooo..?

CrisKre

The west went nuts as you could see how great of a start it had. Japan is a different story. The switch is not doing PS4 numbers world wide or in the west launch aligned but is kotaku writing articles about that?

Because the premise of the article is launch sales on a specific region?

To evaluate the implications it may have for publisher support on that region and other region-specific matters?

The question is why it bothers you so that a gaming website published said article.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That's why I made the distinction in my post. NINTENDO handheld, hah.

"If X product wasn't supply constrained it could be selling better than Y". Well yeah, it could be selling better than the PS2 for all we know, but we have no way of knowing because...well, it isn't.

All that statement says is that the console would be selling better if Nintendo sorted out the manufacturing issues, which is just common sense. How much better is anyone's guess though.

It's a NINTENDO handheld that in it's first few months on the market has already had a Mario Kart game, Monster Hunter and Splatoon 2. Compare that to the conditions in which the PS4 launched and it's not really surprising that the Switch is doing better. It was to be expected. The bigger story would be if it wasn't failing to outpace the PS4, especially with it's USP and such a good first year software line up. I stand by my opinion that this is the best first year a console I've ever owned has had. Nothing comes close.

You know how critic I am about some aspects of the Switch by MC threads, but let me say this: don't fall for the famous "this and that don't count" argument just for the sake of it

It is a Nintendo handheld with the higher price ever put on a nintendo handheld, with no animal crossing nor Pokemon so far, with the first ever port of a Mario kart game (and yes this count, because mk8 already sold a lot also in the wii u) with zero third party support both announced and released so far

And please...don't cite that MH joke as a point of strength especially comparing it to the 3ds

And if the first year is satisfying for someone or if the console actually has valid hooks and so on, don't pretend this is something that downtones its actual Japanese success because eventually those would simply be point of interest

Otherwise we should say that it is obvious that ps4 is selling strongly worldwide because it was price better than Xbox one, has better exclusive and was better marketed and didn't have drm always online bullshit and so on

As if those wouldn't be strengths for which Sony should be complimented

This can't be stated enough. I don't know what "lol but Switch is just a handheld!!" comments are trying to say- if I'm honest they just sound like console war shit about the Switch being 'underpowered' etc.

It's not some sort of "gotcha!"- Nintendo aren't manipulating figures to make it look like they're succeeding in the home console market when actually it's just a budget handheld. Regardless of how powerful it is, or how people play it, the Switch sits firmly within the established home console market.

You're not wrong and I somehow have avoided looking at things that way up until now. I personally just disagree with people who would slot Switch into one space or the other, as that's usually done with an agenda in mind

switch0.jpg

ps4.jpg

Both Switch and PS4 are doing pretty similarly to their predecessors. This whole thread is pretty much non news. Well i guess there is plenty of people that don't visit weekly Media Create threads.

Switch is outperforming the Wii U pretty handily, despite that it's most compelling titles are available on Wii U. Does it have to sell twice as much as the Wii U to be seen as doing more than just 'similar' numbers? It's selling 1.5 times as fast as the Wii U did in its first 26 weeks, with more consistency.

You know how critic I am about some aspects of the Switch by MC threads, but let me say this: don't fall for the famous "this and that don't count" argument just for the sake of it

It is a Nintendo handheld with the higher price ever put on a nintendo handheld, with no animal crossing nor Pokemon so far, with the first ever port of a Mario kart game (and yes this count, because mk8 already sold a lot also in the wii u) with zero third party support both announced and released so far

And please...don't cite that MH joke as a point of strength especially comparing it to the 3ds

And if the first year is satisfying for someone or if the console actually has valid hooks and so on, don't pretend this is something that downtones its actual Japanese success because eventually those would simply be point of interest

Otherwise we should say that it is obvious that ps4 is selling strongly worldwide because it was price better than Xbox one, has better exclusive and was better marketed and didn't have drm always online bullshit and so on

As if those wouldn't be strengths for which Sony should be complimented

Not sure where I said certain things don't count, I just think that it was pretty damn obvious that this thing was going to sell better than the PS4 in Japan given it's USP and the sort of software that's available on it within the first 6 months on the market.

Yes, Mario Kart 8 DX is a port, yes, MHXX is a late port and yes, Zelda isn't as popular in Japan as it is in the west, but those combined with Splatoon 2 and ARMS make for 1000% superior software support than the PS4 had in Japan even within it's first year on the market. The fact that the console is both compact and portable + Nintendo's brand power and impeccable advertising in the region made this a sure fire PS4-beater in Japan. This isn't me downplaying anything so much as it is me saying why this was an inevitability that practically every self proclaimed sales expert on this forum was predicting anyway. How Switch does long term over there remains to be seen, but it's short term victory over the PS4 was as easy to predict as the sun rising in the east.

Oh so now the Switch is a portable. Funny, I remember several threads around the Switch launch suggesting it would sell poorly because it was a console first and handheld second. Heck we still have threads where we equate the technological prowess of the system to its console counterparts rather than its mobile/handheld counterparts.

Switch is either a handheld or a console, depending on which makes the system look underwhelming for the current argument being made.

Majmun

Amazing
And it would do so much better without the droughts

Switch is a new Nintendo handheld though. It performing great is no big surprise.

I don't see the Switch doing as well as the PS4 overall (although, who knows. They've kept up a good pace despite supply shortages) but it's going to be a healthy console.

It's honestly pretty great. I was given one from my family as a birthday present (they're amazing) and it's so fantastic for relaxing after a stressful day.

Switch is outperforming the Wii U pretty handily, despite that it's most compelling titles are available on Wii U. Does it have to sell twice as much as the Wii U to be seen as doing more than just 'similar' numbers? It's selling 1.5 times as fast as the Wii U did in its first 26 weeks, with more consistency.

But why are you comparing it to WiiU? it should be compared to actually successful handhelds/home consoles (like that chart does to degree). It's replacing also their wildly successful handheld line.

pixelation

Well post PS2 Japan's taste in videogames has not been the same. So i'm not at all surprised, Japan is basically mobile gaming land now (which i hate because it means that they have stagnated tech wise speaking, they no longer push the tech limits as a result of the rise in popularity of mobile and less advanced hardware).

No-one cares about the semantics around whether or not you'd class the Switch as a 'handheld'. That's irrelevant to this thread- we're talking about markets, and the Switch isn't part of the handheld market, with the 3DS and Vita. It's part of the console market, with the PS4 and XBONE- in terms of pricing, marketing, and even positioning in retail and online stores.

And it's got a handheld form factor and people use it as a handheld too. I get where you're coming from but I think you're trying to pidgeonhole the Switch as a home console when in practice it's not just that.

Well post PS2 Japan's taste in videogames has not been the same. So i'm not at all surprised, Japan is basically mobile gaming land now (which i hate because it means that they have stagnated tech wise speaking, they no longer push the tech limits as a result of the rise in popularity of mobile and less advanced hardware).

The Switch has games that can be considered compatible with both western and eastern audiences. It's not as if it's full of Japanese RPG's, so I don't think your assessment that Japanese taste have changed, is at all relevant to the conversation.

Beyond that, what the Switch lacks in raw power, it makes up for in ingenuity.

But why are you comparing it to WiiU? it should be compared to actually successful handhelds/home consoles (like that chart does to degree). It's replacing also their wildly successful handheld line.

#1 - because I was responding specifically to a post about Switch and PS4 both selling around as well as their predecessors

#2 - because the Wii U was a success at launch in Japan. Look into the numbers. Shit's frankly inexplicable.

The Switch is a home console that can be used portably, not a handheld.

The Switch is a handheld that can be docked for use as a home console, not a home console.

Or
maybe it's both?
Maybe it's a hybrid?
Maybe that's a large reason why it's seeing the level of success that it is and therefore shouldn't be blithely dismissed?

Although I guess if I had to choose one space for it, it'd be home console, if only because Switch functions analogously to a home console even when portable (I can set it on a table, turn on some pre-synced controllers, and play local multiplayer with friends)

sphinx

the piano man
japanese support is on the way. there's a half-dozen games that i am aware of and i'm not really that privy to those details these days.

well yeah there's some support I guess, Square will release their low-budget effort Lost Sphere on Switch and PS4 for example, that's all very nice. Capcom will put their nth port of RE:Revelations to the switch too, I guess we can call that support. WiiU didn't have that.

but for all the lotteries and the madness that's going on in Japan, I'd have expected some announced exclusives by now, big ones, not just indies.

like I said in another thread, any smart japanese pub should known better than to ignore a nintendo handheld.

"yeah but WiiU!". was WiiU a nintendo handheld? no, it was not, idiots.

#1 - because I was responding specifically to a post about Switch and PS4 both selling around as well as their predecessors

#2 - because the Wii U was a success at launch in Japan. Look into the numbers. Shit's frankly inexplicable.

WiiU had couple of decent weeks after the launch in japan as it got help from holiday season. After that its sales were in same disaster category as Vita and PS4 but unlike PS4 (and I guess Vita to some degree) it didn't recover at all and died off at 3.5 million. Having slightly better launch numbers than Vita and PS4 doesn't make its launch successful in Japan.

This thread is pure marketing. Why do Nintendo fans feel the need to fuel the flames of hyperbole with their bullshit.

I am a Switch owner, I am happy. Lets look at clear numbers in a year, instead of trying to twist numbers clouded by launch fanboyism (positive) and supply constraints (negative). We don't know how successful the Switch is. We don't know if it's more successful than the PS4. We just know it's far from a failure.

saltffpy5.gif

Anyways, glad to see them do well in the motherlands. Have to wonder how much more successful (or not) if it hadn't been supply constrained

PS4 didn't have any great Japanese games for awhile and it was $100 more expensive than Switch. Guess kotaku don't take price into account

Xbox One didn't have any great Japanese games for awhile and it was $100 more expensive than the PS4. Guess everyone who accurately describes the state of the console market as Playstation dominated just didn't take price into account.

WiiU had couple of decent weeks after the launch in japan as it got help from holiday season. After that its sales were in same disaster category as Vita and PS4 and unlike PS4 it didn't recover at all and died off at 3.5 million.

We're discussing 26 weeks of launch aligned sales here. You're not wrong, but given the context, neither am I. Please, consider that I was just responding to someone who stated that PS4 and Switch are, launch aligned, doing only as well as their predecessors.

This is only comparing the first 26 weeks. The first year was pretty rough in terms of software aimed at the Japanese market on PS4. Even I remember this and I don't usually play those games.

Is this really true? Is Japan larger than Europe? Surprising, if so.

Yo, your username is literally an inside joke a couple of friends and I used to say when we were kids. You ain't from New Jersey, are ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom