• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil 7 [VR] Secretly game of the year

I did play a bit of it in April when I first got my headset but decided to give it a better go.

It's too scary for me, like in VR I am genuinely terrified. Managed to make more progress than I usually did this morning.

Just did some Austin Powers in the garage

I've only played it in VR so far, but it genuinely feels like it elevates the game.

And from what I've played - feels like GOTY material
over PLOPG

Toxa

the experience is reallly great in VR without VR I think that the game on flat screen is a commonplace when you compare with other games like outlast or alien isolation.

this is really immersive every noise give you chills.

this episode is the most scarier of the series (thanks to VR) but like the other episode it's actually not so scary :D beacause I'm near the end , but the lack of ammo give you tense moments overall I think that alien isolation is more scarier I can't imagine this game in vr

Toxa

RE7 VR is possibly the greatest gaming experience I have ever had in my life. RE7 was a good game but VR enhances it so much more. My only mistake was not playing it on the Pro first

why there's huge difference on pro ? I play on pro

It was a crying shame that when this game premiered, you couldn't find a PSVR. It truly hurt both the headset (sale wise) as well as showing RE7's true potiental

ChouGoku

why there's huge difference on pro ? I play on pro

Graphics on the pro are about 1 step down from the flat game, while significantly worse on the regular PS4. For me, better graphics =better immersion as its easier to judge size, distance, etc.

Arklite

I watched someone stream it that way and it's definitely the best showcase of the tech out there. Constant little things like how you can naturally peer over the staircase bannister seems to add so much presence.

FingerBang

It was pretty good, I just wish it had motion controls. I understand how hard it is to implement them since the lack of analog sticks on the moves, but aiming with the head isn't the same as aiming with your hands.

Sony must make better/additional hardware for PSVR to improve the experience. The HMD is great, the tracking isn't (even though it works much better now that I positioned it 2.5m from the ground) and the move controllers are meh compared to the competition.

was waiting til i could find PSVR to play this, but at this point i think i'll just wait for the PC version to get VR support.

...which is going to happen, right?

Phediuk

Vanilla RE7 is ok, but no better than other recent horror games like Outlast, Alien Isolation, Dying Light, SOMA etc.

VR is what makes the game stand out.

I'd say it's a GOTY contender, it's one of the best gaming experiences I've had in gaming, when it comes to horror. It's like next level scary with VR.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
There were rumours that it is just a timed PSVR exclusive for 1 year. Prepare your booties ( ͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kalentan

Åesop;247844327 said:
There were rumours that it is just a timed PSVR exclusive for 1 year. Prepare your booties ( ͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Rumors? It was said from the get-go that it was timed. Even before it was released.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Rumors? It was said from the get-go that it was timed. Even before it was released.

Do you have a source? The articles I read at that time didn't mention any official confirmation

Kevtones

I wish I experienced it in VR but the game lagged past the opening third. Actually it tailed off into a rough end that left me pretty sour. Forgettable but better than 6. Rez VR is my high mark for the peripheral.

I really liked what they went for in parts but it all became less than the sum. Worth playing at least though it's sad we'll never see a proper RE4-2 worthy of the name. Mainline RE is a true clusterfuck of direction.

Weird that the best two games in the series (REmake and RE4) were initially Nintendo exclusives. RE8 for the Switch sounds cool.

Whatever happened to that free DLC?

It got delayed but seems to be taking a lot longer than expected to announce when it's coming out. Maybe they are making some big changes to it, making it better / longer, so it's taking more to release it than they first thought.

I need to beat it! I was playing my friends copy and also felt the genuine terror.

I was so scary / threatening to my body's survival systems that the come-down of excitement and terror took about an hour afterward. It's amazing how you turn away from someone in a game and just run away giggling when its on a TV, but when you feel like YOU LITERALLY JUST TURN AWAY FROM SOMEONE HOLDING A DEADLY WEAPON INCHES BEHIND YOU...

it's a trip. Really scary. Really fun.

hotcyder

Seven was both one of the most pleasant surprises this year and the best Resident Evil game in a long time - for me at least. A real return to form, and a great twist on the old formula.

I haven't had a chance to play it in VR yet - but the template of the game is a perfect fit for the technology (and sort of shows how other developers could take first person games and rework them for VR)

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
let's see how Capcom will fuck that up with the next action sequel.

Chris Anabol Redfield in an all-new action horde shooter VR experience.
The first DLC will be released before the actual game and includes punching volcanos in QTE events! (All rights reserved to Cacpcom 2019 ©)

kodecraft

Vanilla RE7 is my current GOTY. I haven't played the VR experience but dammit I've got to.

RE7/PCVR can't come soon enough.

I loved playing this game in VR it was just so satisfying to play. RE7 is definitely one of my favorite Resident Evil games in the series.

kromeo

Would love to be able to play it one day but I know my stomach wouldn't be able to handle it, I was getting motion sickness at times in the normal version

mokeyjoe

Oh in VR it's undoubtedly GOTY. Of the generation even.

After finishing in VR I went back and played a bit on the TV. It's nothing like the same. In VR though? Felt like the most exciting thing in gaming for years. And I've played a bunch of other VR stuff, they just seem like demos in comparison tbh. The gameplay and pace and atmosphere - it all comes together so well and just works. Fantastic experience, well worth borrowing a PSVR for :p

Gitaroo

playing on a Pro + SSD here, the garbage texture streaming in and out kills whatever they got going for them. Notice things load in a tiny bit faster after yesterday patch, but still not good enough. Can't believe they didn't prioritized things like that, it is the most critical immersion killer consider you usually see things closer up in fps/vr. And those texture are not even that great to begin with and they still haven't fix it.

Toxa

So based on rumors, coming to PC in December?

if you wanna play the I recommend you buy the game on ps4.

I beat the game last night so i'm glad the nightmare is over :D , well the last part was bad but overall it's a great vr game.
it wasn"t so scary after all, mostly tense and especially stressful.
I hate the new direction style taken by the series since episode 4-5 but I'm glad to own this game for the vr experience but without vr t's just a mundane game among outlast , alien iso and more ...

just capcom just stop calingl this resident evil , it's not resident evil at all even if it share some mechanics from the old formula it's just a new ip for me not a sequel

IMO it was the best vr game with farpoint

Wollan

Delivers the highest highs of any game I've played this year. Fantastic experience.
Slow-paced Resident Evil mansion exploration fits perfectly with VR.

FiveSide

Banned
At the beginning of the game I was hiding from Jack in the sequence before you enter the main hall. He was patrolling around in the kitchen area and I was in the hallway just outside the kitchen door. The door was opened into the hallway.

I crouched down behind the door and poked my head around. I could hear him but couldn't see him. I backed off and hid in the space behind the opened door, too terrified to really do anything other than wait.

I decided to look around the doorway again. I peaked my head around - and he was standing right there! I shouted and snapped back into position behind the door, crouched down.

He walked out of the kitchen and stood in the doorway for a few moments, mere feet away from me. I literally held my breath.

He turned and started walking the other way. I was completely still.

Suddenly he jumped around the door, and as I was crouched down, helpless, on the floor behind it, I looked up at him as he towered over me and shouted "Found you, boy!"

All of this happened "for real." I really crouched with my actual body. I poked my actual, physical head around the door. I was there in the game looking up at him, cornered, in a state of utter panic and despair. And it was all emergent gameplay.

People can't understand what VR means until they try it themselves and give themselves a few minutes to really get immersed. It's not even like the transition from 2D to 3D. It's bigger than that imo.

And no doubt RE7 itself is GOTY material. Probably won't be my GOTY given the stiff competition, but it's up there. Historic game, just like BotW, in fact probably even more so.

I'm considering buying the VR to play this, but is it a MUST to get a PS4 Pro? I already have a PS4 vanilla. That's gonna be an even hefty-er investment (like over a grand) to play 1 game.

Pro isn't necessary. I played the first half with a Slim, then upgraded to a Pro for the second half. Was there better performance? Sure, but I was playing it perfectly fine on the Slim beforehand too. Just because the Pro performance is better doesn't mean the Slim performance is bad.

I'm considering buying the VR to play this, but is it a MUST to get a PS4 Pro? I already have a PS4 vanilla. That's gonna be an even hefty-er investment (like over a grand) to play 1 game.

ChouGoku

I wouldn't say its a MUST to get it on a pro, I had a ton of fun playing it on the base PS4. But if you ever get a Pro and play it later you will probably be disappointed you didn't play it on the pro first. Don't spend the money if you don't have it.

Akoi

My Rift is waiting for this... I played the game for a few hours around launch but I will wait until this gets PCVR at this point.

Romulus

Just finished up my second playthrough of this in VR on Pro

Game of the generation for me, easily. I would honestly need to go back 20+ years for anything to come close to this experience in VR. Absolutely brilliant. My time on the TV felt lifeless by comparison. No depth, no scale, everything felt tiny on my 70 inch TV compared to the headset with lifesized visuals.

The only contender for this would be my first time playing N64 as a kid, the shift from 3d to 2d. I'm in awe still, even after my 2nd playthrough.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Just finished up my second playthrough of this in VR on Pro

Game of the generation for me, easily. I would honestly need to go back 20+ years for anything to come close to this experience in VR. Absolutely brilliant. My time on the TV felt lifeless by comparison. No depth, no scale, everything felt tiny on my 70 inch TV compared to the headset with lifesized visuals.

The only contender for this would be my first time playing N64 as a kid, the shift from 3d to 2d. I'm in awe still, even after my 2nd playthrough.

It’s a great game in VR, but pancake it sucks. I wouldn’t call it GOTG, but it’s a great VR experience and I can’t imagine playing the game any other way.

Last edited:

ksdixon

RE7 is what I hoped for from the implementation of vr. As in vr in real games, not mini-game style experiences. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have taken off at all.

Romulus

RE7 is what I hoped for from the implementation of vr. As in vr in real games, not mini-game style experiences. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have taken off at all.

There are alot of full VR games. There's not alot of games like RE7, but that goes for non VR too.

Top Bottom