• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Industry Data 2017 - Hardware #s, PC revenue, Digital vs Physical, F2P & more

Lime

The EEDAR presentation at this year's GDC has been uploaded and made accessible to the public, so I thought some of the slides were worth a share, even though it's not including 2017 data. It includes data on hardware sales, digital vs physical, PC revenue divided by payment model, marketing budgets influencing sales, and market consolidation in terms of who in the industry is making the most money. I apologize for the screen captures.

Hardware sales per December 2016
platformsalesaks1k.png

(including tablet and phone sales)
mobileconsolesbfsw2.png

US Video game sales
usvideogamesalesets75.png

Digital distribution and retail
Digital revenue vs physical revenue
digitalretailrevenuemasbz.png

digitalretailrevenue20csvc.png

Digital releases and physical releases
phsycaldigitalv5s4s.png

Physical and digital releases over time
phsycaldigital2lus6o.png

Retail game releases per year
gamereleases6yscz.png

Digital and physical game releases per year
gamereleasesdigitaliysx9.png

Market consolidation

PC relevant statistics
PC Revenue by paying model
pcrevenuejvsj5.png

Amount of Steam games released per year
steamgames40sq2.png

Marketing game quality

Review numbers over the years

See the presentation here: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024054/Awesome-Video-Game-Data

StereoVsn

lol @ the number of Steam games release the last few years.
Basically Steam discovery options are increasingly becoming useless although I have found some interesting games based on my Doscovey queue and Curator recommendations. Steam really needs to overhaul their recommendations, filtering, and so on.

At this time most of the games I get on Steam are fairly well known (for their niches), publishers I follow, or come from GAF/Web Publication recommendations.

Madao

it's fun how the graph that includes phones makes even the top console shown look like a failure. even the PS2's number would be peanuts next to that.

it's fun how the graph that includes phones makes even the top console shown look like a failure. even the PS2's number would be peanuts next to that.

It's a kind of pointless statistic because only a fraction of users will use their phones to play games, and of those a fraction still will actually spend any money on games.

It's like adding in PC sales on the same graph. It's not really meaningful and its not really tell us anything.

Also, like others have said, I have no idea what that "PC (Steam)" figure represents in the hardware sales category. It makes literally no sense.

patapuf

9% of retail Titles account for 75% the spending.

When people ask why (big) publishers always go "bigger and more expensive" with their games this is the answer.

The physical + digital combined chart is pretty much identical.

Over 4500 games released on Steam in 2016.

Yeah, I'm surprised gamers can find anything in among all that shit flooding the store. Wow!

I haven't bought anything from Steam in a while, but the last time I did I knew what I wanted to buy and went to the store to purchase it. I reckon that's what most gamers are doing now, because natural discovery of games on the Steam has got to be impossible with so many games being released all the time.

9% of retail Titles account for 75% the spending.

When people ask why (big) publishers always go "bigger and more expensive" with their games this is the answer.

The physical + digital combined chart is pretty much identical.

I'm pretty sure games like GTA V are skewing that chart. The top 2-10% sell so much more than the competition that it's not even funny.

Also, if that same chart included DLC and micro-transaction revenues (through lootboxes and all that jazz) I'm fairly sure it would look considerably worse; with something like the top 2-5% accounting for 75+% of all sales revenues.

Elandyll

Banned
I am flabergasted by the (console only, thus not accounting for Steam) share of releases in # of units for digital vs retail only, when compared to revenue of physical vs digital.

Seems to indicate that on console too the online stores are flooded with titles that are either both phys/ retail but more and more digital only, but the actual sales in Revenue are hugely dominated by the retail $60 volumes of a few AAA titles.

patapuf

I'm pretty sure games like GTA V are skewing that chart. The top 2-10% sell so much more than the competition that it's not even funny.

Also, if that same chart included DLC and micro-transaction revenues (through lootboxes and all that jazz) I'm fairly sure it would look considerably worse; with something like the top 2-5% accounting for 75+% of all sales revenues.

That's my point though, If we are talking EA, Activision, Ubisoft, they fight for the 75%. They want (and have the rescources) to make a GTA.

They won't make a business model based on getting the scraps.

Over 4500 games released on Steam in 2016.

Yeah, I'm surprised gamers can find anything in among all that shit flooding the store. Wow!

No-one has to wade through 'all that shit' to find games on Steam unless he is specifically looking for them, as Jim Sterling does. Developers of fake games should be dealt with but Steam has multiple options of highlighting quality games.

That means Microsoft has been 2nd, 3rd, 2nd as far as console generations go. A victory but not much of one for the PS3.

Given the current trajectory of the Switch's sales, I can't imagine it won't end up knocking the XO into 3rd place this gen too quite honestly.

That's my point though, If we are talking EA, Activision, Ubisoft, they fight for the 75%. They want (and have the rescources) to make a GTA.

Yeah, a handful of titles make all the money.

Celine

Wonder if NPD got Vita LTD from Sony or if it's just a guess on their part.
Th rest seems shipment data (gave a quick glance).

I am flabergasted by the (console only, thus not accounting for Steam) share of releases in # of units for digital vs retail only, when compared to revenue of physical vs digital.

Seems to indicate that on console too the online stores are flooded with titles that are either both phys/ retail but more and more digital only, but the actual sales in Revenue are hugely dominated by the retail $60 volumes of a few AAA titles.

This makes sense, as there are more and more digital only releases now than ever before. Just looking at the 4500+ games released in 2016 figure on Steam gives you an idea of the scale of digital releases now. Of course consoles will also get a fraction of those.

Of course, I wasn't disagreeing with you. It's a pretty depressing reality.

No-one has to wade through 'all that shit' to find games on Steam unless he is specifically looking for them, as Jim Sterling does. Developers of fake games should be dealt with but Steam has multiple options of highlighting quality games.

With 4500+ titles released on Steam in 2016, you absolutely cannot say this with a straight face. The cold hard facts fly in the face of your statement.

With so many games releasing on steam, a huge proportion HAVE to be shit, in which case you don't need to specifically look for the crap on Steam; rather the complete opposite is true. Unless you know what good games you're specifically looking for, you'll be wading through mountains of shit.

Sure Steam has some reasonable options for filtering and queuing curated content lists, but with the sheer number of crap games released on Steam, at some point the swathes of crap games will begin to overwhelm them too.

This issue to be pointed out here is, from a developer perspective, if you are a small indie with meager budget for marketing your game, how you get your game noticed on steam when it's simply 1 in 4500+ released in a single year on the platform.

Valve simply cannot deny that the game discovery problem on steam is a real problem.

Durante

Unless you know what good games you're specifically looking for, you'll be wading through mountains of shit.
No, because Steam has a discovery queue and filtering options for that purpose (as you acknowledge).

The only time you see every single release is when you specifically elect to do so. And, well, if I do that then that is what I want.

This issue to be pointed out here is, from a developer perspective, if you are a small indie with meager budget for marketing your game, how you get your game noticed on steam when it's simply 1 in 4500+ released in a single year on the platform.
Well, yes, you need to create a game which is either excellent or has a unique appeal if you want a big hit. Or you need to plan for moderate sales.

That's just the sign of a mature medium.

With 4500+ titles released on Steam in 2016, you absolutely cannot say this with a straight face. The cold hard facts fly in the face of your statement.

With so many games releasing on steam, a huge proportion HAVE to be shit, in which case you don't need to specifically look for the crap on Steam; rather the complete opposite is true. Unless you know what good games you're specifically looking for, you'll be wading through mountains of shit.

I absolutely, positively, categorically can say this with a straight face. PC is my only gaming platform and Steam is my main digital delivery service. I buy quite a few games and I use the client every day. I have never even heard of all the games that Sterling routinely makes fun of. They never appeared on the front page featured titles, they never appeared in my curators list, they never appeared in any of the discovery queues I've gone through. I'll say it again: you have to actually and specifically look for these bad games to find them, otherwise they will never surface.

No, because Steam has a discovery queue and filtering options for that purpose (as you acknowledge).

The only time you see every single release is when you specifically elect to do so. And, well, if I do that then that is what I want.

You don't need to see every release to be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of crap on the Steam store.

While the discovery queue and filtering options help, they're not perfect and will leave a vast number of legitimately great games out from the curated selection that is highlighted to be perused by Steam Store users. The few times I've used the discovery queue I've been frustrated by the same games re-appearing again and again in the queue.

Outside of that, you can filter by genre or publisher etc, but each filtered list is so large and cumbersome, that users will simply give up after a while of perusing the content.

If the purpose of these features of the store is to facilitate organic discovery of games on Steam, then they're not very good and need to be re-thought (of course, this is my opinion based on my experience with them).

Well, yes, you need to create a game which is either excellent or has a unique appeal if you want a big hit. Or you need to plan for moderate sales.

I feel you're ignoring or dismissing the problem here. Sure a developer needs to make a great game to be successful. That kind of truism is so mind-numbingly obvious that goes without saying, but even a great game is going to struggle to compete for attention when it's one out of a selection of 4500+ on a platform released in a single year.

Being a great game alone will only get you so far. If you can't afford a huge marketing campaign to publicize your game, then just being good isn't going to get your game noticed when there are so many shoddy games diluting the DD platforms.

You should replace moderate sales with a loss of resources (time or money). There are many games on steam which are good and have unique qualities, yet there aren't enough people spending money on the game to justify the overwhelming amount of releases. I am not even counting asset flips and trash, many new online games cannot even build the basic community: Lawbreakers, Tooth and Tail, MvC:I, Absolver, Steel Division, Raid.

How is the supply vastly outpacing demand a sign of mature medium?

I absolutely, positively, categorically can say this with a straight face. PC is my only gaming platform and Steam is my main digital delivery service. I buy quite a few games and I use the client every day. I have never even heard of all the games that Sterling routinely makes fun of. They never appeared on the front page featured titles, they never appeared in my curators list, they never appeared in any of the discovery queues I've gone through. I'll say it again: you have to actually and specifically look for these bad games to find them, otherwise they will never surface.

Well, this is precisely your problem (and perhaps the reason you can't be objective about this).

I regularly buy games on PSN, Steam and sometimes Origin/Ubisoft Store. Whilst I use Gaf and the gaming media I frequent to stay up-to-date on what new games are releasing that are worth picking up, as I only have limited time to devote to these channels, there are a lot of games that I don't come across and I only discover by browsing the DD game stores.

On PSN, since there are far less games available than Steam, I routinely come across new quirky games that I might purchase on the basis of my organic discovery of those titles; through my browsing the store.

On Steam, I cannot even remember the last time I've bought a game after discovering it through the Steam queues or filtered lists. Almost every game on Steam I own, I knew about and was intentional about looking for it before I bought it. When I have tried to browse for what's new on Steam, I've quickly given up, because the majority of the stuff on the filtered lists is crap, and most of the stuff on the queues is stuff I already own on another platform or know about from elsewhere.

This is my point. Steam's discovery features aren't really enabling discovery. And when users actually want to browse the games on the store to see what's there, there's just so much there that its overwhelming.

ps3ud0

The real news is Xbox One at 30m at the end of last year... maybe 40m after XOX launch?
I'd double check that chart again...

How accurate could these numbers be? Anyone know how they are derived?

EDIT: Ahhh EEDAR is owned by NPD

ps3ud0 8)

You should replace moderate sales with a loss of resources (time or money). There are many games on steam which are good and have unique qualities, yet there aren't enough people spending money on the game to justify the overwhelming amount of releases. I am not even counting asset flips and trash, many new online games cannot even build the basic community: Lawbreakers, Tooth and Tail, MvC:I, Absolver, Steel Division, Raid.

Exactly.

Durante

If the purpose of these features of the store is to facilitate organic discovery of games on Steam, then they're not very good and need to be re-thought (of course, this is my opinion based on my experience with them).
Well, my experience with the discovery queue has been surprisingly positive recently.
It has allowed me to find games very relevant to my interests which I would have missed even as someone who browses GAF all the time.
(Like X-Morph Defense, which went way under the radar here)

I feel you're ignoring or dismissing the problem here.
I'm doing neither of those.

To some extent, I am a developer, and I'm well aware of these issues.
But artificially reducing the number of games available to people is absolutely not a solution.

And saying that it is a sing of a mature medium is also not deflection -- it's a statement of fact. How many books do you suppose are released in a year, and do authors complain about book stores not performing sufficient advertisement for their works?

If that is truly the case (supply outpacing demand to such a massive degree) then a correction will have to occur.
But if the number of great games outpaces the amount of money people want to spend on them -- and I believe that this could well happen -- then that is a completely orthogonal issue, and cannot be used to support the purported problem of "unworthy" games clogging up the works.

If anything, what you argue is that there are too many good games.

I'm doing neither of those.

To some extent, I am a developer, and I'm well aware of these issues.
But artificially reducing the number of games available to people is absolutely not a solution.

I'm fairly sure I never once suggested that this was the solution.

There's more that can be done to facilitate discovery than Valve simply stopping allowing games to be released on the store.

Steam has systems in place to facilitate discovery, but these aren't perfect and can be improved upon.

On PSN, since there are far less games available than Steam, I routinely come across new quirky games that I might purchase on the basis of my organic discovery of those titles; through my browsing the store.

How are you browsing the Steam store? And how do you browse the PSN store? I find it extremely bizarre that you can't find new games that interest you just by browsing the Steam store.

Audioboxer

While physical sales appear to be on a downward trend (the amount of digital-only indie content is rising), if MS had released the original Xbox One vision of digital-only it would have fucking tanked. Like, even worse than what's happened to them because they 180'd it but still kept Kinect mandatory.

Long live a decently healthy physical market as digital ownership is fucking sketchy. Overpriced, sketchy ownership of licenses and not something I want to be worried about in 10 years if I ever want to play something again.

While physical sales appear to be on a downward trend (the amount of digital-only indie content is rising), if MS had released the original Xbox One vision of digital-only it would have fucking tanked. Like, even worse than what's happened to them because they 180'd it but still kept Kinect mandatory.

Long live a decently healthy physical market as digital ownership is fucking sketchy. Overpriced, sketchy ownership of licenses and not something I want to be worried about in 10 years if I ever want to play something again.

Lol, so true.

LordRaptor

There is a lot of "your preconceptions are wrong" data here about the last 5 years, but I am depressingly unsurprised to see consoleGAF focus like a laser on "WOW LOOK AT ALL THAT SHIT ON STEAM, PC MARKET SO BROKEN"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well, this is precisely your problem (and perhaps the reason you can't be objective about this).

I regularly buy games on PSN, Steam and sometimes Origin/Ubisoft Store. Whilst I use Gaf and the gaming media I frequent to stay up-to-date on what new games are releasing that are worth picking up, as I only have limited time to devote to these channels, there are a lot of games that I don't come across and I only discover by browsing the DD game stores.

On Steam, I cannot even remember the last time I've bought a game after discovering it through the Steam queues or filtered lists. Almost every game on Steam I own, I knew about and was intentional about looking for it before I bought it. When I have tried to browse for what's new on Steam, I've quickly given up, because the majority of the stuff on the filtered lists is crap, and most of the stuff on the queues is stuff I already own on another platform or know about from elsewhere.

This is my point. Steam's discovery features aren't really enabling discovery. And when users actually want to browse the games on the store to see what's there, there's just so much there that its overwhelming.

can you show a screencap of what Steam is showing you?

Top Bottom