• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS CEO Satya Nadella says the Company had the chance to buy Minecraft before 2014

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's new book "Hit Refresh" tells a different version of the company's $2.5 billion purchase of Minecraft studio Mojang than we've heard before.
The version we know: Markus "Notch" Persson, the original creator of Minecraft, was getting tired of the pressures of running Mojang and tweeted out his willingness to sell. Numerous video game companies courted Persson and Mojang, but it was Microsoft which ultimately won out, and the deal was signed in mid-2014.
In the book, however, Nadella recounts an anecdote that adds another wrinkle: Microsoft had a chance to buy Mojang earlier than had previously been reported, but ultimately decided not to move forward. Also of note is that Nadella claims the person pushing for the deal was Phil Spencer, the Microsoft executive who's been in charge of Xbox since mid-2014.
"Early in Microsoft's relationship with Mojang, before I was CEO, Phil presented an opportunity to purchase Minecraft, but Phil's boss at the time chose not to move forward," writes Nadella.
Given this timeframe, "Phil's boss at the time" would likely have been Don Mattrick, the former head of Microsoft's Xbox division. In mid-2013, Mattrick left Microsoft to accept a role as CEO of social games company Zynga. Mattrick's move left Xbox without a formal leader until mid-2014, when Nadella appointed Spencer to the role.
Nadella praises Spencer's pursuit of the Mojang deal: "For some, such a visible, high-level rejection could have been withering, but Phil didn't give up." In mid-2014, when Nadella was CEO and Spencer was head of Xbox, the opportunity to buy Mojang presented itself once again, and the final deal was struck.
In any case, Nadella writes that he's more than pleased with the acquisition of Minecraft, by way of Mojang. It's tremendously popular, and it teaches important skills to school-age children, writes Nadella. Even Microsoft's former CEOs, who were skeptical at the time, have come around, he says.
"Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer, who were still on the board when the deal was presented, later laughed and said they had initially scratched their heads, failing to understand the wisdom of the move," writes Nadella. "Now they get it."

It's a long read. Find the link below.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-says-191000397.html?.tsrc=applewf

Did this turn out to be a good deal for them? I guess it was worth it bringing kids to their platform and not having them grow up only with iDevices/Android.

Marcel

T8hc2aw.png

Nice work, Goofus.

Somnia

Did this turn out to be a good deal for them? I guess it was worth it bringing kids to their platform and not having them grow up only with iDevices/Android.

Before someone comes in and says "They'll never make that $2 billion back" people need to remember they used foreign money that they would never bring back to America due to taxes. That money was literally just sitting overseas, it was nothing to them.

Given this timeframe, "Phil's boss at the time" would likely have been Don Mattrick, the former head of Microsoft's Xbox division.

Ahhh...Don Mattrick, is there anything that he did competently when he was head of the XBox Division?

No...really...was there anything he did competently when he was the head of the XBox Division? Because I'm having a tough time finding something...

Kill3r7

Did this turn out to be a good deal for them? I guess it was worth it bringing kids to their platform and not having them grow up only with ipads.

FWIW, Minecraft sold something like 22 million in 9 months last year. It was a great deal if for no other reason than keeping MS relevant with kids.

Did this turn out to be a good deal for them? I guess it was worth it bringing kids to their platform and not having them grow up only with ipads.

Worth to $2.5 billion to them? Not even close so far, but they're probably thinking it'll have human generation spanninglegs. It really doesn't do much to drag people on to their platform either considering they've put it on every platform they can, rather intentionally.

Kids don't even know it has anything to do with Microsoft.

Ahhh...Don Mattrick, is there anything that he did competently when he was head of the XBox Division?

No...really...was there anything he did competently when he was the head of the XBox Division? Because I'm having a tough time finding something...

Yeah he made Kinect successful which gave the 360 year on year growth unlike the XB1 which is having its worst year yet.

Me, yesterday: Interesting that Phil Spencer is being elevated to Nadella's Senior LT.

"Early in Microsoft's relationship with Mojang, before I was CEO, Phil presented an opportunity to purchase Minecraft, but Phil's boss at the time chose not to move forward," writes Nadella.

Me, today: Ah, okay. This all makes more sense.

Before someone comes in and says "They'll never make that $2 billion back" people need to remember they used foreign money that they would never bring back to America due to taxes. That money was literally just sitting overseas, it was nothing to them.

In financial terms, the deal was instantly profitable because Minecraft was already a steady money making machine, much more so than that cash sitting in a bank account collecting interest.

Welfare

Xbox 360 Slim and Kinect in 2010 massively boosted 360 sales and 2011 was even better than that, outselling PS3 and Wii.

NolbertoS

Cue in the peoplerunning past mattrick.gif. Man, Mattrick really made bad decisions at Xbox. Minecraft was a more expensive purchase though in the end.

If they build it into the next version of Windows 10 as a Trojan Horse for educational computers, absolutely

Even if they don't do that, yes

To be fair, he had great short term success with the Kinect but his record has shown that he was not a great executive.

They sold novelty hardware largely at holiday seasons. Big deal. Im convinced the only reason Kinect had moderate success was because the generation had been going for far too long and with no end in sight. Consumers were desperate for anything new. The writing was on the wall across the board about what people thought of it. Software sales were low, third party support was non existent, user engagement tanked, and Nintendo’s business model was free falling from its abandonment of core gamers. Yet Donny bet the entire Xbox One on it.

kswiston

Worth to $2.5 billion to them? Not even close so far, but they're probably thinking it'll have human generation spanninglegs. It really doesn't do much to drag people on to their platform either considering they've put it on every platform they can, rather intentionally.

Within the next year or so, Microsoft will pass 100M units of Minecraft sold since the purchase of Mojang. Throw in the merchandising and skin purchases, and it's probably earned quite a bit more than you think.

Minecraft is a fucking gold mine

The Chinese F2P version just launched
Realms is like Xbox Live Gold money just for that game
The game sells roughly 1.7 million copies a month (and that numbers was still growing up to the latest sales data)

Very interesting, I wouldn't have thought that Phil Spencer would be behind this.
who else?

TheKeyPit

Banned

The new Minecraft Better Together version probably has a Microsoft-logo on every platform(intro-logo). They'll know now.

blakep267

Within the next year or so, Microsoft will pass 100M units of Minecraft sold since the purchase of Mojang. Throw in the merchandising and skin purchases, and it's probably earned quite a bit more than you think.
ALSO I saw on Zhuges twitter that Minecraft story mode surpassed 25 million downloads on IOS/google play

The brand is still ridiculously strong

I think the minecraft purchase and the revamp of the xbox one since the disatroruous '13 one launch are some of the reasons why Spencer is now on the board.

hopefully that means they get a bit more flexibility

Panaphonics

Banned

They did Not give them $2.5 Billion. That Money is overseas. They could Not Just Take it back to the US they would have to pay taxes. So they actualy paid way lass then thst. And its also about the mindset. Xbox = Minecraft. The Brand Minecraft is very valuable.

To be fair, Mattrick probably had other priorities to spend money on before leaving, like on research, development and launch of the X1, aswell as games for it.

Kalor

It was smart on Spencers part to keep pushing it. Although I'm not surprised that Mattrick was the one to reject the deal the first time.

Blam

Honestly I'm still wanting to see a Mattrick Xbox if he hadn't have borked the entire launch.

blakep267

Yeah he made Kinect successful which gave the 360 year on year growth unlike the XB1 which is having its worst year yet.
He made a gamble which ended up backfiring in the future. He had a success with the kinect one but then he bet it all on kinect 2, had it be a mandatory pack in elevating the price, and consolidated the first party studios

That was Phil's job. Under Phil Spencer first party output by MS is the worst its ever been.
Mattrick was the boss. Your employees don't have autonomy to do things the boss doesn't agree with. They execute the broader plan set from the higher ups

He made a gamble which ended up backfiring in the future. He had a success with the kinect one but then he bet it all on kinect 2, had it be a mandatory pack in elevating the price, and consolidated the first party studios

Mattrick was the boss. Your employees don't have autonomy to do things the boss doesn't agree with. They execute the broader plan set from the higher ups

Mattrick is still the boss wow that is news to me.

Kill3r7

They sold novelty hardware largely at holiday seasons. Big deal. Im convinced the only reason Kinect had moderate success was because the generation had been going for far too long and with no end in sight. Consumers were desperate for anything new. The writing was on the wall across the board about what people thought of it. Software sales were low, third party support was non existent, user engagement tanked, and Nintendo’s business model was free falling from its abandonment of core gamers. Yet Donny bet the entire Xbox One on it.

Kinect was incredibly successful for them. It kept 360 hardware sales going strongly at a time where very little was being invest in first party.

The game sold over 70 millions since the buyout. They got tons of money from microtransactions too. It was licensed out for other games, books, a movie is coming. It is a gold mine as far as gadgets, toys and other merchandising go. Streamers still play this insanely much, YouTube presence is as big as ever. It is a cultural phenomenon. It is being used to push technology like crossplay, Hololens and more. It inevitable sells hardware (not only consoles but other Windows 10 devices too), even more so now that Sony decided not to join the Better Together update.

Minecraft is huge, it will probably become the highest grossing game ever despite the low entry price. Anything these guys make after this will have an insane amount of publicity. And guess what, it's a brilliant Z-plan. If all else fails, announce Minecraft 2 as a launch exclusive for the new Xbox and see Microsoft win the console war before it even begins. I think most people don't quite see how big Minecraft is. It is simply insane.

g11

In one statement he throws a former employee under the bus and admits Microsoft probably paid a lot more for Minecraft than they needed to. Did he attend the Trump School of Business or something?

In one statement he throws a former employee under the bus and admits Microsoft probably paid a lot more for Minecraft than they needed to. Did he attend the Trump School of Business or something?

wtf is this?
this is a personal book
not a pr statement
you tell storys and not everyone is always the good guy in those storys where you can only tell positive stuff about them

i mean you're a prime example of that
"one of those many internet trolls using unfitting bad Trump references"

Night.Ninja

Banned
Only one person on the first page mentions about Phil who kept pushing it (you know bad guy phill) Majority of other people just wanna look at the negative shit to typical neogaf

Never change

Top Bottom