• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL PS3 BC watch: 1000 PS2 titles to be compatible at launch

hope this is new

new harrison interview reveals a few more details on PS3 BC at euro launch:

"Harrison would not be drawn on specific PS2 titles which will be playable on PS3 on March 23, but it seems the only problem we will have is deciding which ones to play: “The situation is changing every day, but on March 23, we expect the list to include over 1,000 PS2 titles.” That enough for you? Even when you’ve played your way through MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ridge Racer 7, Virtua Tennis 3, Call of Duty 3, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Formula One Championship Edition and so on?"

says that number will grow in the future....
also talks about the impact of EE removal on a future price drop......

more here:

http://www.threespeech.com/

f@luS

More than a member.
Steroyd said:
aren't there about 7000+titles?

Eurownage total. :(

I dont think they count the same game in Pal/Ntsc US/Ntsc Jap as 3 games .and who cares about 60% of the crappy games anyway.

1000 is a lot , with promised updates. Great job sony.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Also worth posting here. (i guess)

http://www.rumorreporter.com/?p=202
upscaled PS1/PS2 games to 720p/1080i might be in the near future with this software emulation.

Mmmkay said:
If I'm not cryin' I'm lyin'.

Someone else can explain. I've got breakfast to eat.
:lol I'll just quote your other post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5684401&postcount=172
Mmmkay said:
There aren't 8000 European PS2 titles. That's the worldwide total. There are 2,500 PS2 titles that were released in Europe (with a healthy proportion of them shovelware I might add):
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdatatitle_e.html

Mmmkay

Amir0x said:
1000 is a huge number, but slightly less impressive when you consider that's 500 per platform (PSX/PS2) both of which have thousands of titles themselves.

Still, if they HAD to go this route, it's a nicer start than 360 had
Ami, Phil specifically states the "over 1000" number is for PS2. He says there are no problems for PS1 titles.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Amir0x said:
1000 is a huge number, but slightly less impressive when you consider that's only PS2. PS1 has thousands of titles... what's going on there?

1000 PS2 titles. All PS1 titles should work fine.

edit: damn you Mmmkay, go eat your breakfast! :lol

Yoboman

Amir0x said:
1000 is a huge number, but slightly less impressive when you consider that's only PS2. PS1 has thousands of titles... what's going on there?

...It says 1000 PS2 titles

Amir0x

Banned
Mmmkay said:
Ami, Phil specifically states the "over 1000" number is for PS2. He says there are no problems for PS1 titles.

Yeah, I edited. That is EXCELLENT then. There are obviously a far bit more than a 1000 games for PS2, but this is like a trillion percent better start than 360 if they had to go this route.

DrXym

frAntic_Frog said:
hope this is new

new harrison interview reveals a few more details on PS3 BC at euro launch:

"Harrison would not be drawn on specific PS2 titles which will be playable on PS3 on March 23, but it seems the only problem we will have is deciding which ones to play: “The situation is changing every day, but on March 23, we expect the list to include over 1,000 PS2 titles.” That enough for you? Even when you’ve played your way through MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ridge Racer 7, Virtua Tennis 3, Call of Duty 3, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Formula One Championship Edition and so on?"

says that number will grow in the future....
also talks about the impact of EE removal on a future price drop......

more here:

http://www.threespeech.com/

Assuming that 1000 titles to include the games people want to play on the PS3, then I think they're safe. It's too bad they didn't say this at the beginning, and perhaps toss in a list of definitely working titles.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
1000 titles? I really don't know how many Xbox games the 360 can run but it sure does look better than what Microsoft did with their BC. Let's just wait for a list...

They should have announced that news right away! Sony's PR has really been stupid lately, this news is never going to get as much coverage as the one for the gimped BC for EU PS3s :lol .

so its still not as good as the R1/R2 PS3's in terms of features and capability, but is actually much, much better then expected.

Good news, right?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That's a lot better than I've expected given the wording of the press release. They should have announced this the same day as they announced the hardware change.

pilonv1

Is this like how they expected to launch in Spring? And expected to launch with 2million units? And how they expected etc... I'll believe it when I see it. I should post the PS3 Lies pic.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Amir0x said:
Yeah, I edited. That is EXCELLENT then. There are obviously a far bit more than a 1000 games for PS2, but this is like a trillion percent better start than 360 if they had to go this route.
Fortunately on the bright side, going the 360 route, this also means the list should increase with every firmware update.

Yoboman

pilonv1 said:
Is this like how they expected to launch in Spring? And expected to launch with 2million units? And how they expected etc... I'll believe it when I see it. I should post the PS3 Lies pic.
You should post it. You're not going to last long anyway :D

mr_nothin

Banned
SOOOO 1000 is nice for Europe but it should be AWESOME for the US
1000 out of 1,375 titles isnt bad
That's assuming that they didnt emulate some of the PAL only games...

How can this be bad news at all?!
You people were expecting like 200 or so titles when they said limited but its all *GASP* sony sux when they almost get half....in europe..and most are probably shovelware. They probably have all the major titles working.

Everybody rejoice

f@luS

More than a member.
1000 over 2500 games.
40% at launch with promised update?
THey will reach 80% , every good game will run.

Chittagong

Gold Member
mr_nothin said:

You people were expecting like 200 or so titles when they said limited but its all *GASP* sony sux when they almost get half....in europe..and most are probably shovelware. They probably have all the major titles working.

Everybody rejoice

Europe 2,451 titles

is 1,000 titles out of 2,451 titles bad news at all?

Amir0x

Banned
frAntic_Frog said:
as much as i love PS3 and Sony, i just dont like the way they downplay BC's importance....

Yeah, it sucks. For me, this has to be standard. BC is such an awesome feature, and yes I do use it. It's true I only have a handful of games I go back to, but it is invaluable for them!

pilonv1

It's just strange timing. 1 day after the PAL media launches they put out the gimped BC release with no speculation on numbers, and now there's interviews with Harrison out less than a week later stating "over 1000". Sony's PR is really all over the place lately.

Mmmkay

gofreak said:
That's a lot better than I've expected given the wording of the press release. They should have announced this the same day as they announced the hardware change.
(I guess I'll be consolidating my thoughts into this thread)

The wording would have been off because the figure is technically less than 50%. Whether that figure includes award winners like Animal Soccer World, White Van Racer, or Furry Tales though... It's likely that the percentage for games we care about is much higher. Not a guarantee, but Harrison certainly implies it.

mr_nothin

Banned
pilonv1 said:
lol...

quetz67

Banned
If those 1000 are the best 1000 I am perfectly happy, dont care about the other 1500 mediocre or bad titles.

legend166

That's a surprisingly good amount. I wasn't expecting that at all. It makes me wonder why they didn't come out and say this from the beginning, because it would have alleviated some of the negative press that they got.

Something seems fishy.

medrew

mr_nothin said:

this... has me so f'ing confused. Why would they only emulate games that were released in the US and PAL? It's not like they go through game-by-game and code emulation for each one.
I'd bet the same ratio would result for the US. Maybe even a lower percentage due to lessor shovelware (which would be more likely to work because of shared engines that are probably either licensed or close to Sony documentation)

pilonv1 said:
It's just strange timing. 1 day after the PAL media launches they put out the gimped BC release with no speculation on numbers, and now there's interviews with Harrison out less than a week later stating "over 1000". Sony's PR is really all over the place lately.

People are getting too excited over the number 1000. Its a big number, but people will still be disappointed when the list comes out. There will be a lot of newer games and popular games missing. The most recent titles are the hardest to emulate. A lot of shovelware will be listed.

Lain

So less than 50% for PS2 and it's a good job?
With the man that said BC was important now retracting?
I don't know who's funnier, Harrison spouting lies, or you people rejoicying because less than 50% PS2 games will be playable on PS3 at launch.
So much for that promised "almost 100% BC".

There's probably gonna be a couple of dozen games I'd play when I get my PS3, you're not going to bother with any sports titles once the sequels come out, so hopefully the 22 titles out of a potential 1000 will work.........I should be alright :)

mr_nothin

Banned
Chittagong said:
Europe 2,451 titles

Nope, not by any margin, considering the shovelware/good game/AAA game ratio is about 25 to 5 to 1

Xbots can not try and spin this downward any kind of way...
They cant talk

Especially if this enables upscaling of PS2 titles.
I wonder when they will implement this for US

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Chittagong said:
Europe 2,451 titles

That depends entirely on which titles, it could be every title you'd ever want to replay, or it could be utter shit...more likely it's somewhere in between.

mr_nothin said:

Everybody rejoice
well it remains to be seen how well those 1000 games are emulated......90-100%? or half full of glitches. I have faith in sony's BC efforts, but we shall see at launch, and from future firmware updates

DrXym

frAntic_Frog said:
as much as i love PS3 and Sony, i just dont like the way they downplay BC's importance....

I think Sony are right that some games will never get played on the PS3 (cue obligatory White Van Racer pic). But there are some which will. Just glancing over my small collection I reckon that I would want to play a good 1/3 of them on the PS3.

The issue I see from the dismal 360 BC is that different games use different functionality. Fix one good game and 5 crap games might also start working. I imagine that 1000 could easily contain a lot of dross that just so happens to work because they use the same functionality as a good title.

Amir0x

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Nope, not by any margin, considering the shovelware/good game/AAA game ratio is about 25 to 5 to 1

Xbots can not try and spin this downward any kind of way...
They cant talk

Especially if this enables upscaling of PS2 titles.
I wonder when they will implement this for US

neither Xbots OR SBots should spin anything. Both their companies suck for doing something shitty regarding BC!

DrXym said:
The issue I see from the dismal 360 BC is that different games use different functionality. Fix one good game and 5 crap games might also start working. I imagine that 1000 could easily contain a lot of dross that just so happens to work because they use the same functionality as a good title.

You'd better believe it. That is how emulation works.

pilonv1

ChrisAllenFiz said:
People are getting too excited over the number 1000. Its a big number, but people will still be disappointed when the list comes out. There will be a lot of newer games and popular games missing. The most recent titles are the hardest to emulate. A lot of shovelware will be listed.

Indeed. There's guaranteed to be a Barbie's Horse Adventures, and there will be plenty of Jet Set Radio Futures, Phantom Dusts and Outrun 2's. It's a shame when the same games will be playable on JP/US machines. If something like Okami, SOTC or Katamari isn't playable I'd hate to see the reaction.

Top Bottom