• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL PS3 BC watch: 1000 PS2 titles to be compatible at launch

artist

Banned
Mmmkay said:
So you just post and don't read threads? Interesting that.

Anyway, your percentage calculation is hilariously incorrect and that is what I was referring to, not the 360 BC stuff.
I just dont have the time to read through each and every post. Smart that you took it to the other extreme, isnt it? :lol And I calculated the % off my head.

Any of this doesnt bother me at all as I have already got a PS3. :)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
travisbickle said:
For those complaining you should meet at least two (point 1 mandatory) of these criteria

1. Be European

2. Own PS2 games

3. Be Considering buying a ps3 within the next 9 months

Woohoo! I get to complain! (And naturally will, if any of the games in my collection fail to run...)

irfan said:
1000+ out of 6000+ PS2 titles = 16% compatability.

And 1000+ out of 2500+ PAL PS2 titles = 40% compatibility.

DieH@rd said:
Here is the breakdown of xbox 360 BC titles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._with_Xbox_360

Little over 300 of them... 20-ish dont work on PAL, and 90% of them dont work on Japanese x360.

None of the ones I tried worked to the point of being playable - hideous load times, skipping audio in-game... Have things moved on since the PAL launch?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Baryn said:
I don't recall wanting to play 800 PS2 games. 100, maybe.

I'm sure PS2 developers, the ones that remain, will be testing their wares on PS3 hardware, and adjusting accordingly.
What's to adjust? No matter what the devs do, it's up to Sony to make sure the emulator works right, the devs can't adjust the emulator code.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sho Nuff said:
Is anyone else detecting this behaviour from Sony:

SONY: I'm going to kick you in the balls!
GAF: Oh no!!!
SONY ONE WEEK LATER: Actually I'm just going to kick you in the stomach.
GAF: Hooray!!!!

:lol

You forgot the:
SONY: Now Ken will slap you silly!
Panajev: I LOVE SONY!

Cloud

Sho Nuff said:
Is anyone else detecting this behaviour from Sony:

SONY: I'm going to kick you in the balls!
GAF: Oh no!!!
SONY ONE WEEK LATER: Actually I'm just going to kick you in the stomach.
GAF: Hooray!!!!

What a ****ing hypocrite. I'm sick of microsoft fanboys negatively commenting on everything about PS3 even when 360 is 10 times worse at it. You feel so free trolling PS3 that you don't even see the hypocrisy of your posts anymore.

mckmas8808 said:

How do you know it will improve over time? Didn't Sony themselves state that they were not really going to focus on it and would rather move everyone's effort to the PS3?

iapetus said:
Woohoo! I get to complain! (And naturally will, if any of the games in my collection fail to run...)

And 1000+ out of 2500+ PAL PS2 titles = 40% compatibility.

None of the ones I tried worked to the point of being playable - hideous load times, skipping audio in-game... Have things moved on since the PAL launch?

Which XBox games have not worked for you? While there may be some games that have glitches, MS has usually fixed them or taken them off the list. Some of the glitches are related to things like cinematics and cutscenes. From my experience BC on the 360 has worked pretty well.

Cloud said:
What a ****ing hypocrite. I'm sick of microsoft fanboys negatively commenting on everything about PS3 even when 360 is 10 times worse at it. You feel so free trolling PS3 that you don't even see the hypocrisy of your posts anymore.

Are u fvcking serious.... @_0

irfan said:
1000+ out of 6000+ PS2 titles = 16% compatability.

How good is 360's pure software BC?

edit : answered above but still I dont know the number of Xbox titles.

Your use of of numbers is soooooo SPINTASTIC, here.

...or is it just TROLLERIFIC? I can't decide.

All I know is that the conversation is about Euro BC, and your numbers aren't. That makes things hard for you and your "16%" conclusion.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
FirstInHell said:
Which XBox games have not worked for you?

Only one that I'm 100% sure of is XIII. Tried a couple of others at the time with similar levels of success, but never cared enough to go back to it after the initial disappointment.

Lain

Cloud said:

At least he's funny to read, you, on the other hand, are a sad sight.
Microsoft's joke of a BC isn't a free pass for Sony and their shitty move in Europe.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Iapetus said:
None of the ones I tried worked to the point of being playable - hideous load times, skipping audio in-game...
If it goes to start screen, it's compatible, now shut up!

XiaNaphryz said:
What's to adjust?
Technically Sony could release notes on what to be careful with - if there are any things to note (they similarly clarified differences between older PS2s to 75xxx models which use emulated PS1 CPU). But there would be no point doing this until emulator is close to final, so for near future I wouldn't expect anything.
And yea like you point out - emulator could eventually be perfect enough for there to be nothing to look out for.

Lain said:

At least he's funny to read, you, on the other hand, are a sad sight.
Microsoft's joke of a BC isn't a free pass for Sony and their shitty move in Europe.
yeah. whether or not microsoft kicked us in the nuts doesn't mean that being kicked in the stomach is under any pretence a good thing.

spwolf

it is becoming increasingly clear, that Sony should, under no circumstances let anyone, ANYONE BUT Harrison speak about any topic.

Only person with common sense...

1,000 games sounds great.

I see MS's BC being brought up here and there. I don't think it's a very strong argument for two reasons. The first is that two wrongs don't make a right. Just because MS is doing badly at something, doesn't give Sony free reign to mess up. However, the other reason is that I outright deny the situations are comparable in a particular sense.

The distinction here is that one of the companies has given more than they ever promised on record, and the other is now giving less than they promised on record. In absolute terms, the PS3 will have more games BC (after all, the GS remains in), but in terms of what was promised vs what was delivered, Sony comes out short to MS.

In bringing up MS, you cannot pick and choose what applies. You have to swallow the whole bite, and that means considering what was actually promised, hyped, and bullet-pointed, versus what was actually done.

lupin23rd

I think the key word here is PRICE DROP.

I never owned a PS2, and I'm perfectly happy to sacrifice everyone else's backwards compatability if that gets me a cheaper PS3 :lol

We shall see.

m

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Cloud said:

Oh noes. The one post in this thread everyone thought was funny and light, and you had to cock it up for everyone. KUDOS!

watership

So, these 1000 ps2 titles are using some sort of Emotion Engine emulation, rather than say.. The 360s total emulation? Sony isn't removing the PS2 GPU right?

This should mean less painful emulation.

Has anyone ever thought of waiting to find out if their games work before criticizing Sony and the number of BC games?? You know...that'd be the logical thing to do.

watership said:
So, these 1000 ps2 titles are using some sort of Emotion Engine emulation, rather than say.. The 360s total emulation? Sony isn't removing the PS2 GPU right?

This should mean less painful emulation.

That is correct, and you are correct.

Lain

Logan Cano said:
Has anyone ever thought of waiting to find out if their games work before criticizing Sony and the number of BC games?? You know...that'd be the logical thing to do.

Why would it be logical to wait and see before criticizing a company that has constantly dropped the ball when it comes to PS3 and Europe and that is openly admitting that their promise of an almost complete BC at least at launch in Europe wont be met, and is not even sure it will ever be met?
They don't deserve the benefit of doubt anymore.

Danj

Eiji said:
Here's hoping they don't emulate the PS2 region protection and that all PS3's are given the same BC firmware file so a PS3 includes compatibility data for PAL/US/JPN games and not just region specific i.e PAL PS3 only gets PAL compatibility.

Er, you do realise they'll be keeping the region locks right? But maybe Dark_Alex or somebody will come out with a custom PS3 firmware that removes them, that would be awesome.

Eiji

Danj said:
Er, you do realise they'll be keeping the region locks right? But maybe Dark_Alex or somebody will come out with a custom PS3 firmware that removes them, that would be awesome.

Yeah which is why I'm hoping they'd do otherwise (fat chance) but yeah, if someone like Dark_Alex cracks the PS3 then it will be much more fun owning one.

Top Bottom