• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL PS3 BC watch: 1000 PS2 titles to be compatible at launch

Koren

Mmmkay said:
It's a little ambiguous, but it's certainly implied.
http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=301
Yes, but that doesn't mean much for us...

Take the most popular game, make it work...
-> as a side effet, 150 basic games begin to work, too
Take the second most popular game, and work on it
-> another 80 shovelwares join the list

You can expect that they'll work on priority on popular and better games. But this has very little to do with those 1000 games containing a lot of popular games or not... We've still to wait for the list.

M3d10n

1000 titles doesn't quite mean all good/popular/worth playing games will be playable. Expect lots of shovelware on that list, since usually they're the ones doing nothing special with the hardware and being more likely to run 100% on an imperfect emulator. Games doing special mumbo jumbo will need to be tested one by one, and that's where the suffering waits.

jax (old)

Banned
I'm going to go with Pilonv1's on this. I don't think the 1000 figure is real - it sounds like its an easy number to throw out there and it doesn't gel with the earlier PR fiasco of a statement about BC.

They need a list or its just bullshit. That said, right now I'm even content with 200-300 of the top games because there really is only about 50-100 titles (?), that are worth buying. I have about 20+ PS2 titles and those are only the "creme de la creme"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jax said:
I'm going to go with Pilonv1's on this. I don't think the 1000 figure is real - it sounds like its an easy number to throw out there and it doesn't gel with the earlier PR fiasco of a statement about BC.

They need a list or its just bullshit. That said, right now I'm even content with 200-300 of the top games because there really is only about 50-100 titles (?), that are worth buying. I have about 20+ PS2 titles and those are only the "creme de la creme"

Maybe not 1000 on the dot. It could be 970 or it could be 1049. So what.

If it's all emulation, doesn't that mean it's actually easier for the PAL PS3 to upscale games to 720p than it would be for the NTSC units which apparently just use the PS2's components shoved into a corner of the PS3 hardware? If homebrew PS2 emus can handle higher resolutions, I'm sure the Sony one should be able to.

DenogginizerOS said:
For those complaining, why don't you just hang on to your PS2 a little longer?

For those complaining you should meet at least two (point 1 mandatory) of these criteria

1. Be European

2. Own PS2 games

3. Be Considering buying a ps3 within the next 9 months

McDragon said:
If this is true then i am afraid that Microsoft ain't the king of softwares anymore...

I think if MS had been able to put the actual Nvidia GPU from the xbox in the 360 then their percentage might have been increased too!

mckmas8808

Android18a said:
If it's all emulation, doesn't that mean it's actually easier for the PAL PS3 to upscale games to 720p than it would be for the NTSC units which apparently just use the PS2's components shoved into a corner of the PS3 hardware? If homebrew PS2 emus can handle higher resolutions, I'm sure the Sony one should be able to.

No. They can send a firmware update to the JPN and NA users to turn on the emu.

Jax said:

The quote was over 1,000. Did you see the work Sony put into the documentation for BC on the PS3 at launch? They had to test every game and made comments like "skipped .3 seconds of voice in cutscene #34" or some such thing.

Given that they have to do that extensive testing over and over again based on the latest emulator, I'd say already quoting over 1,000 (if true), is pretty damn phenomenal. Who knows? Maybe if they test another 1,000 games they'll knock the list up by 300 or so games?

In any case, this is BY FAR better than we would have expected a week ago after the announcement.

I agree the list will be key, but I can't see this news as being anything but great for potential European market buyers.

Kinan

Actually from technology point of view I would suspect that most of newer games gonna work without significant problems, since last version of libraries is pretty tight. Thats the older titles that may be in danger.

P.S. That 1k number really bring me relief, hopefully Harrison was not speaking out of his bum. :p

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Between all the PAL members at GAF, we should be able to create quite a list once the console hits, unless sony makes one for us (ala the Xbox.com BC page)

No offense but if you know of 1000 games that you still want to play that are PS2 games your a loser :) I don't see what the big deal is. Eventually someone will come up with some type of hack to emulate every game anyway.

Steroyd

I agree the list will be key, but I can't see this news as being anything but great for potential European market buyers.

You do know you're talking about the same Europe that gets key titles later than America and Japan, the same Europe that got separated from the the world in the worldwide launch, the same Europe that's getting gimped B/C because we waited longer by force, the same Europeans who will not be guaranteed when they go to buy God of War 2 next month of Rogue Galaxy in the Summer that it'll work on the PS3 if they're relying on the B/C function to keep their PS2 alive (so to speak).

This feature is important to me because i am and will still have fun with my PS2 games this year despite me having fun with the PS3 games also, it's this "will it won't it" in the next firmware update bull plop is what's going to totally piss me off.

I prefer a one-box-does-all under the TV, and it's a total pain plugging the wires into the back of the TV, just for a couple hours of Nausea, it's why my PS1 and Snes isn't anywhere near my TV.

mckmas8808

McBacon said:
Between all the PAL members at GAF, we should be able to create quite a list once the console hits, unless sony makes one for us (ala the Xbox.com BC page)

Sony did it for the NA and JPN PS3 system so yeah they do it again.

methane47 said:
Time for me to go to that other thread with all the haters saying that BC will be around 1% and laugh...
i get to laugh at you though.

long and hard.

sonycowboy said:
The quote was over 1,000. Did you see the work Sony put into the documentation for BC on the PS3 at launch? They had to test every game and made comments like "skipped .3 seconds of voice in cutscene #34" or some such thing.

Given that they have to do that extensive testing over and over again based on the latest emulator, I'd say already quoting over 1,000 (if true), is pretty damn phenomenal. Who knows? Maybe if they test another 1,000 games they'll knock the list up by 300 or so games?

In any case, this is BY FAR better than we would have expected a week ago after the announcement.

just to be nit picky, the quote was that *expect* over 1000 on the list on EU launch day... which is a pretty good indication that it'll be around 1000 as mckmas was suggesting. perhaps a bit under, perhaps a bit over, but that ball park. to me that says they think they're on target for that number, but not that they've already got that number.

predictions about how many they'll end up emulating are silly though.

we'll have to see how much they add with each update and how quickly they start diverting attention away from it.

still, so far as i expected. a big number but less than half. really it's where we go from here.

i'm guessing that we still won't see visual upgrades at launch, but that in time that will come too.

you know there's going to be people complaining about why game X doesn't work when Barbie Horse Adventures does for a long time though.

if they're going off of *sales* theres a lot of titles that we love around here that will be pretty far down the list.

Haunted

Sho Nuff said:
Is anyone else detecting this behaviour from Sony:

SONY: I'm going to kick you in the balls!
GAF: Oh no!!!
SONY ONE WEEK LATER: Actually I'm just going to kick you in the stomach.
GAF: Hooray!!!!
:lol

travisbickle said:
For those complaining you should meet at least two (point 1 mandatory) of these criteria

1. Be European

2. Own PS2 games

3. Be Considering buying a ps3 within the next 9 months

Except that it seems obvious Sony intends to sell this version of the system to the rest of the world, too, so if you're planning on buying a PS3 within the next 9 months anywhere, this is definitely a consideration.

I don't understand how people are saying this is a good thing. This is still a really bad thing, it's just not as bad. You are still getting value removed with absolutely no effect on the price. And the rest of the world has this removed feature to look forward to as well.

People making jokes about how a thousand titles is going to cover all the good ones aren't getting the point other posters are making. It's not going to be the best thousand. There's going to be fan favorite, big shit missing, I'd bet hard on it. The PS2 has very unique architecture that was exploited in a lot of different and cool ways. The more "off the beaten path" a game is, (like Shadow of the Colossus), the more specific work will have to be done to make it work.

I'm confident Sony will work hard on this, probably harder than MS has, but there's likely always going to be stuff from each gamer's collection that won't play on PS3, and therefore we won't be able to get rid of our PS2s, which means BC (until they start scaling) loses all semblance of value to us. Still nice for those new to PlayStation, but how big is the audience of "Wants PS3 but never owned PS2"?

This is value lost, with no compensation for the consumer. Considering how often they reinforce the "value" for the price of the PS3, this is not a good thing, even if it's not as colossally bad as some imagined it would be.

When the list becomes available, the ensuing thread will be epic. As expected, people are coming out of the woodwork passing themselves off as authorities on software emulation. We are now taking Phil Harrison's PR statements at face value? This is not going to be as bad as some people are predicting, but it is not going to be good. Some of you are acting like every one of those 1000 games is going to be AAA title.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Amir0x said:
btw that shows why Japan is the trash heap of the world game industry wise!

4,745 titles! Game development center of the world or not, that is like a billion pieces of shovelware per day!

At least half of them have to be that Simple 2000 series. ZOMBIES VS AMBULANCES FTMFW!!!!!!

When its 2500 titles with many being shovelware, yes 1000 is good.

What makes you so sure that none of them 1000 titles are shovelware?

Shovelware titles are going to be the easiest titles to emulate, not the hardest because they aren't pushing the machine in any strange or unexpected way and many of them rely on the same technology. If one of these titles work then the majority or going to without any tweaking. The big titles are the games that are going to be ifficult to emulate, these titles did all sorts of crazy things with the PS2, pushed the system to the limit and usually don't share technology with other games. Each and every one of them sorts of titles are going to need fine tuning and many are going to be hell to emulate, so its not naive to think that a percentage of them won't be included in that sub 50% figure.

I'm really pleased Sony have hit the ground running unlike Microsoft, but to think that this 1000 figure isn't packed with an awful lot of shovelware is naive at best. Those shovelware titles are the easiest titles to emulate and the ones that will serve to pad out that figure and make it appear better than it is.

JB1981

pilonv1 said:
Indeed. There's guaranteed to be a Barbie's Horse Adventures, and there will be plenty of Jet Set Radio Futures, Phantom Dusts and Outrun 2's. It's a shame when the same games will be playable on JP/US machines. If something like Okami, SOTC or Katamari isn't playable I'd hate to see the reaction.

No you wouldn't. You'd love it.

Christ, this forum is going down the toilet.

Eiji

Here's hoping they don't emulate the PS2 region protection and that all PS3's are given the same BC firmware file so a PS3 includes compatibility data for PAL/US/JPN games and not just region specific i.e PAL PS3 only gets PAL compatibility.

bycha

Sony had to include GS, without it problems with emulation would be almost unsolvable. RSX can't emulate GS due to very different architecture. Any fast CPU can emulate slower, so it's not gonna be a problem to emulate EE. I think BC list will go to 90%++ eventually.

But 720p option -- I have no hopes. Sony MAY make some specific top of the line titles in 720p but it's really gonna cost her to do that.

Dante

1,000 is a great start, but I'm more interested in hearing about some sort of visual upgrades through emulation.

Big-E

Just out of curiosity, how many titles of the 2500 or so PAL games do you have if you take away all the Phoenix published games?

Wow, I seriously had flashbacks reading a lot of the posts in this thread.:lol

Those other games are not important, just the ones I deem worthy!

artist

Banned
1000+ out of 6000+ PS2 titles = 16% compatability.

How good is 360's pure software BC?

edit : answered above but still I dont know the number of Xbox titles.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
irfan said:
I'm glad that I dont spend all my time going through every new post since my last visit. :D

Really? Cause you could've just f*ckin read the article that stated PAL PS2 games and not all.

Mmmkay

irfan said:
I'm glad that I dont spend all my time going through every new post since my last visit. :D
So you just post and don't read threads? Interesting that.

Anyway, your percentage calculation is hilariously incorrect and that is what I was referring to, not the 360 BC stuff.

Amir0x said:
neither Xbots OR SBots should spin anything. Both their companies suck for doing something shitty regarding BC!

qtf. when the **** do i get to play JSRF?!!

_leech_ said:
I'm pretty sure there'll be certain online site's who'll still publish this as being a "select few."

less than 50% is a select few. especially if we see a few heavy-hitters omitted.

Top Bottom