• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken Tournament DX is getting a patch

From Joe:

https://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

A new update has been announced for Pokkén Tournament DX. This update adds a variety of new features. They are:
The ability to play Team Battle matches online
New rewards when you reach higher ranks in Ranked Match online
Adding the Recording/Replay feature to Free Training
Various fixes
The patch is not currently live but will be rolled out soon. We'll provide full details as they come

I don't think the Wii U version ever got patched did it?

Now if they could patch in a visual bump to either 1080p, or update the actual graphics to match the arcade version, we'd be cooking!

Edit: More info (thanks Shiggy!):

• Online Team Battles – Team Battles will be available to play with friends online. Pick three Pokémon each and head into battle to enjoy heated fights with other players.
  • Official Groups in Group Match – Official groups from Pokkén Tournament DX will be open in the Group Match online battle mode. Coming soon after the update, there will be official Group Matches where players can battle to receive new special titles.
  • Record Pokémon Movements – In Practice Mode's Free Training, a new function to record Pokémon movements in battle will be added. You'll be able to control the opposing Pokémon and record its movements so you can play them back when you're training to help improve your skills.
  • Enhanced Experience – Several other adjustments are in development which will help to improve gameplay.

J@hranimo

Banned
Looks like this is THE version Bamco will be taking more seriously going forward.

I was wondering if they were to begin with since docked and undocked seem to rum the same resolution. This bumps wanting to get the game higher up my list of too many full priced retail games I want this year D:

Online Team Battles is the big news to me imo. That's awesome!

Fantastic news, couldn't be happier about team battles going online. That was my main complaint when it came out. Can't wait to dedicate some actual time to it now as I feel like that could be the main mode I play now.

Hope the higher level rewards are like Shiny Skins or something, it's was always annoying. It was always annoying how you got all these customisations for your static 2D trainer art, but never got anything different to make your own pokemon look unique.

It's going to be just new titles, isn't it?

Hope the higher level rewards are like Shiny Skins or something, it's was always annoying. It was always annoying how you got all these customisations for your static 2D trainer art, but never got anything different to make your own pokemon look unique.

It's going to be just new titles, isn't it?

re:spoiler
probably

we need better alternate costumes, thats still the weakest part of this game imo

Shiggy

Full details here:
  • Online Team Battles – Team Battles will be available to play with friends online. Pick three Pokémon each and head into battle to enjoy heated fights with other players.
  • Official Groups in Group Match – Official groups from Pokkén Tournament DX will be open in the Group Match online battle mode. Coming soon after the update, there will be official Group Matches where players can battle to receive new special titles.
  • Record Pokémon Movements – In Practice Mode's Free Training, a new function to record Pokémon movements in battle will be added. You'll be able to control the opposing Pokémon and record its movements so you can play them back when you're training to help improve your skills.
  • Enhanced Experience – Several other adjustments are in development which will help to improve gameplay.

blame TPC

they probably don't want pokemon in different colors that much

See I don't know why they won't let different colours be used for pokemon, yet they are ok on signing off some edgelord like this as being perfectly fine.

230px-Pokk%C3%A9n_Shadow_Mewtwo.png

If not colours, why not accessories and hats? You can even draw from the various things you could dress up your pokemon with in the contests from Gen 4 or something. Just give us some form of customisation for the actual pokemon itself if you can in the sequel.

If not colours, why not accessories and hats? You can even draw from the various things you could dress up your pokemon with in the contests from Gen 4 or something. Just give us some form of customisation for the actual pokemon itself if you can in the sequel.

we have alternate colours, theyre just not particularly good so its not like theyre against recolouring them, or giving pikachu some blue pants.

its not even like you can get confused as to which character you're controlling because of the way the camera is placed behind them.

Was just about to post this in the OT - glad I did a search!

This is pretty exciting to me. The game did really well on the eShop so I'm hoping we'll get continued post-launch support.

I would REALLY love a visual upgrade to get this on-par with the arcade version. Pokken is definitely not utilizing the extra Switch juice available to it right now.

Berordn

Fingers crossed for a slight resolution bump in docked mode. I won't beg for arcade parity, but it's really not doing the game any justice.

doowrah

Wait, Pokken DX has team battles? Is this like MvC style, or actually multiple people on each team swapping in and out?

Wait, Pokken DX has team battles? Is this like MvC style, or actually multiple people on each team swapping in and out?

Neither of those. The next pokemon on your team comes in when your previous one is defeated, the winner keeps their current health bar.

It works like a Pokemon battle.

You both send out a Pokemon, fight, the winner moves on (with their HP set at whatever it was at the end of the battle) and the loser picks another Pokemon to use.

Kebiinu

Banned
Nows the time for y'all to jump in, if anybody was on the fence. It's definitely worth the cash, especially now that it's being updated.

Online Team Battles is sweeeeeet

See I don't know why they won't let different colours be used for pokemon, yet they are ok on signing off some edgelord like this as being perfectly fine.
I'm all for Shiny costumes, but I don't see why Shadow Mewtwo being described as an "edgelord" is a bad thing. Hell, I'd say that's an awesome thing! I would probably like Mewtwo better if this was its default design and Shadow Mewtwo wasn't really lame in the game's story mode and is featured as a different character in the roster.

Just like Shadow Lugia from XD: Gale of Darkness is an infinitely better version of Lugia, which is saying a LOT because Lugia is my fourth fav Pokemon ever

AGoodODST

Please boost the resolution.

I’m not super into fighting games other than Smash but having a good time with this. More so than on Wii U.

Is Team Battles limited to friends only when online? That’s a bit shit.

CSX

was it 720p all the time for the demo too? I played the demo for the first time this week (never played the wii u version) and thought everything was quite blurry. Poor pikachu looking like hes about to be faded away lol

NateDrake

Lack of online team battles was one of my main disappointments with this release. Now that has been fixed and I look forward to crafting a powerful team of 3.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
was it 720p all the time for the demo too? I played the demo for the first time this week (never played the wii u version) and thought everything was quite blurry. Poor pikachu looking like hes about to be faded away lol
The demo looks like garbage, but it really is better in the full game. Still not amazing, but better.

imae

So 3v3 online will be vs. friends only, and not possible against randoms?. None of my Switch/fighting game friends have this game... yet.

I liked Pokken a lot on WiiU and want to get it on Switch too, updates like this are definitely pushing me closer to buying sooner rather than later.

I'm curious as to why the full game supposedly looks better than the demo, what changed exactly?

Top Bottom