• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: NSMB

duk

Banned
Such a fantastic Mario game! Probably my favorite after Super Mario World for the SNES. I recently beat World 8 but haven't been to Worlds 4 and 7. How can I go to those worlds? Is there anything special I need to do in World 2? TIA!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
farnham said:
anyone played the multiplayer modes

i loved the multiplayer
Played it with one person. I'd usually soar into the lead, but then we would arrive at the pipe level and he would get the mega mushroom. There is no escape!

AS for the main game, I enjoyed it while it lasted, but after beating the last level using just the mini mushroom and completing the game with the shortest route possible I haven't touch it.
My favourite 2D Mario is still Super Mario World.

Worlds 4 and 7 have secret exits in the last level of the world previous. The only one I can remember is one where you'll have to beat a boss as mini-Mario, after the fight you'll get out through an alternate exit and into the new World.

Overall I thought NSMB was the best Mario game in years (was never a fan of 3D Marios) but nowhere close to Mario 3 or Mario World.

duk said:
Such a fantastic Mario game! Probably my favorite after Super Mario World for the SNES. I recently beat World 8 but haven't been to Worlds 4 and 7. How can I go to those worlds? Is there anything special I need to do in World 2? TIA!

you must defeat the BOSSes of the previous world using Micro Mario to access those next worlds

look at you map, see what world was before world 4 and before world 7, go to that previous world and beat their BOSSes as Micro Mario

Llyranor

It's important to note that to really extract the charm from the game, you should aim to fully unlock everything. Getting all those coins is where the level design really shines.

Mar

My Wife and I played the mini games more than the main game. I finished the main game, she only made it about two thirds through. But playing mini games in a restaurant while waiting for our food to arrive, to the bemusement of everyone else there? Priceless.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Great game. I just wish they let you save during the middle. I know it was meant to capture the old school vibe but if it's a handheld game I expect something like that.

Anyways, I probably do expect a sequel annoucement this year. Hopefully, with a Tanooki suit and Yoshi.

duk

Banned
Great I got to World 4!

Now what about the cannons and pipes you see on the world map? The cannons seem to be facing backwards, how do you get to those levels? Thanks.

Ike said:
Great game. I just wish they let you save during the middle. I know it was meant to capture the old school vibe but if it's a handheld game I expect something like that.

Anyways, I probably do expect a sequel annoucement this year. Hopefully, with a Tanooki suit and Yoshi.

This is where the DS's sleep mode rocks. I would close it and pick it back up a couple of days later and start playing exactly where I left off.

Mostly overrated game. The levels were just too linear. I hope i´ll get a jumpnrun as great as Mario Land 3: Wario Land once again.

Maridia

I simultaneously love and hate how they introduce new ideas in every level, never really focusing on anything. On one hand there's lots of great ideas, on the other hand, none of them are fully explored. The level design seems kind of ADD to me, in a way. A lot of people want to see them make a New Super Mario World next, but I'd like to see them make NSMB: The Lost Levels, where they take the elements only used once or twice in this one and use them to make new, harder levels. Overall, a great game. The coins were a slick idea, and the multiplayer is fun, if limited.

probune

I didn't like it too much, then again I don't like Mario games because I never played them when I was growing up.

How funny - I just picked this up too, and it's my first 2D Mario since the first. I don't play a lot of platformers, but this one compelled me, and I love it so far! I'm terrible at platformers, have been for years, but this one is just fun on a platter. I've never had my opinion colored by SMW, SMB3, etc, so this is nice!

reggieandTFE said:
This is where the DS's sleep mode rocks. I would close it and pick it back up a couple of days later and start playing exactly where I left off.

yeah same here

Maridia said:
I simultaneously love and hate how they introduce new ideas in every level, never really focusing on anything. On one hand there's lots of great ideas, on the other hand, none of them are fully explored.

i can understand this. while playing there would be some neat thing but like you said it wouldnt be flushed out . or it would just be a trick to get a big coin. while playing i would be like hey that was cool, oh its over now, ok and move on.

i really havent spent much time with the mini games. i like the find the character one though

MasterMFauli said:
Mostly overrated game. The levels were just too linear. I hope i´ll get a jumpnrun as great as Mario Land 3: Wario Land once again.
This guy knows it.

Too liner, had really bad music, crappy powerups, and overall I felt as though it was just scrapped together. SMW & SMB3 were infinitely better.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
BrokenFiction said:
How funny - I just picked this up too, and it's my first 2D Mario since the first. I don't play a lot of platformers, but this one compelled me, and I love it so far! I'm terrible at platformers, have been for years, but this one is just fun on a platter. I've never had my opinion colored by SMW, SMB3, etc, so this is nice!

I'm glad you're able to appreciate the game, unlike those who remember Super Mario World being a lot better (and a lot harder) than it actually is. NSMB is the best 2D Mario game besides SMB3, period.

I can't believe anybody acts like a ****ing Mario game of all things needs to be harder. Nobody would have any trouble beating SMW now. You've got older and more experienced, like a generic RPG character. Mario's HP remains the same.

probune said:
I didn't like it too much, then again I don't like Mario games because I never played them when I was growing up.
You're basically saying that people injoying Mario games only can because they're nostalgic.

Rayven

aka surume
Chairman Yang said:
I'm glad you're able to appreciate the game, unlike those who remember Super Mario World being a lot better (and a lot harder) than it actually is. NSMB is the best 2D Mario game besides SMB3, period.
That's crazy talk IMO, that's like saying a bucket full of good food smashed together tastes better than each one individually...did that make any sense?

Greatest Hits are never as good as the original.

AniHawk

The main game and beating Bowser and such wasn't that great.

The extra worlds, getting all coins, stuff that actually CHALLENGED you, ROCKED SO ****ING HARD. Awesome game.

probune

Souldriver said:
You're basically saying that people injoying Mario games only can because they're nostalgic.

I'm saying people grew up thinking great platformers were games designed like Mario. I didn't, I grew up with Sonic so Mario is too slow for me. That's all I meant.

MoxManiac

TheGreatDave said:
I can't believe anybody acts like a ****ing Mario game of all things needs to be harder. Nobody would have any trouble beating SMW now. You've got older and more experienced, like a generic RPG character. Mario's HP remains the same.

Yeah, with the exception of the special world, SMW is as easy or easier than NSMB. Mario hasn't been hard since Lost levels.

White Man

I'm not making a new thread over such a trivial request, but since there are a bunch of nfans in here:

Does anyone have a link from that Flash game Nintendo made for Christmas? You played as a penguin (or was it a snowman?). There were a ton of levels and it was shockingly well done for a web game. It was so well done that I kinda wish they had made it a DS or GBA game.

MoxManiac said:
Yeah, with the exception of the special world, SMW is as easy or easier than NSMB. Mario hasn't been hard since Lost levels.

What I would have liked from NSMB is more in the way of power ups and stuff, but you only have to look at the sales to see that Nintendo's right when they talk about making games accessible.

The one thing that confused me was the Koopa power up. Not just because it served no purpose, but because it's really difficult to use. It's not something your average person is going to enjoy playing with as much as, say, a flying power up. It seems like such an odd choice.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
White Man said:
I'm not making a new thread over such a trivial request, but since there are a bunch of nfans in here:

Does anyone have a link from that Flash game Nintendo made for Christmas? You played as a penguin (or was it a snowman?). There were a ton of levels and it was shockingly well done for a web game. It was so well done that I kinda wish they had made it a DS or GBA game.
http://www.mission-in-snowdriftland.com/

Looks like you can't play it again. D:

AniHawk said:
The extra worlds, getting all coins, stuff that actually CHALLENGED you, ROCKED SO ****ING HARD. Awesome game.
Admit it, only gaming nerds would ever do all of that. Nintendo pretty much failed on the regular game- most players would have never touched all of the extra stuff. One shouldn't have to complete all of that "extra" stuff in order to consider the game good.

I had a friends copy for the week and ended up beating the game in a few hours, a short but sweet game, but apart from coin hunting I saw little replay value.

Multiplayer was one of the best things about it, was so fun to play.

Llyranor said:
It's important to note that to really extract the charm from the game, you should aim to fully unlock everything. Getting all those coins is where the level design really shines.

Seriously. I decided to unlock everything on my first playthrough (i.e. trying to find all the secrets of a world before concentrating on the next one), and I had a blast! Quickly running from the start to the pole is fun, but one can only see how much thought was put into the levels by exploring them fully. I remember fondly some of the "stunts" I had to perform to grab some coins / reach a secret exit. All of this thanks to the wall jump, butt stomp and double / triple jump. They blend naturally with the classic Mario gameplay (so much that while replaying the original Super Mario Bros., I sometimes find myself trying to save my ass with a wall jump :lol ).

I didn't like Mini Mario at first, but I now think that it's one of the best power-ups of the whole Mario saga. It completely changes the way you play.

I liked the shell, but I wish there were levels specifically designed for it. It's as if they gave us the Frog suit, but no water level. The shell has a lot of potential IMO. I hope we'll see it again in the future 2D Mario platformers.
UncleGuito said:
Admit it, only gaming nerds would ever do all of that. Nintendo pretty much failed on the regular game- most players would have never touched all of the extra stuff. One shouldn't have to complete all of that "extra" stuff in order to consider the game good.
But the game is already good without the extra stuff. The extra stuff is there to make it awesome.

One last thing: I recommend playing the game with earphones. Everyone should try that.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
My favourite part about the game is how well it sold, so we might get a sequel that actually lives up to other Mario platformers.

AniHawk

UncleGuito said:

No, the game is good on its own. It's not SMB3/SMW level of awesomeness even if you do the other stuff. It just gets better when you go back and do all the secret stuff.

People were expecting Super Mario Bros. 5 and were surprised (myself included) to find NEW Super Mario Bros.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
UncleGuito said:
This guy knows it.

Too liner, had really bad music, crappy powerups, and overall I felt as though it was just scrapped together. SMW & SMB3 were infinitely better.

Which is why we support it and hope that NSMB2 will have features from Super Mario World.

:D

Hcoregamer00 said:
Which is why we support it and hope that NSMB2 will have features from Super Mario World.

Like what? A feather and a big overworld with the same amount of content?

The game wasn't a million miles away from SMW as it is. Yoshi is the only omission, and I don't think people really enjoy the game more just because he's in it. To be honest, NSMB reminded me a hell of a lot of SMB3, it's SMB comparisons seem a bit odd when you consider just how limited the variation in level design was in that game.

Lufiaddict said:
I decided to unlock everything on my first playthrough (i.e. trying to find all the secrets of a world before concentrating on the next one), and I had a blast! Quickly running from the start to the pole is fun, but one can only see how much thought was put into the levels by exploring them fully. I remember fondly some of the "stunts" I had to perform to grab some coins / reach a secret exit. All of this thanks to the wall jump, butt stomp and double / triple jump. They blend naturally with the classic Mario gameplay (so much that while replaying the original Super Mario Bros., I sometimes find myself trying to save my ass with a wall jump :lol ).

This is how I'm playing. I could burn through each level, but I want those giant coins! The extra touches are what make it for me.

NSMB was an amazing game. Mini Mario rocked. He was like a little ninja. Here is how I rank the 2D Marios:

1. SMW
2. NSMB
3. SMB3
4. SMW2: YI
5. SMB
6. SMB:LL
7. SMB2

edit- oops :lol

nincompoop said:
Yoshi's Island DS is much better than NSMB.

I've heard this, and like I said - I've been getting back into platformers thanks to the DS. What do people think of this and Super Princess Peach for a platforming newbie?

The last couple worlds of Yoshi's Island can get to be pretty challenging, maybe not so great for newbs. Haven't played SPP but from what I've heard it sounds like a good bet for you. Or maybe you can check out some of the Kirby games for GBA or DS, Amazing Mirror for GBA is probably the best of the bunch and Canvas Curse, while unconventional, is also really good.

I don't know why the people is so polemic about the NSMB's difficulty... I honestly thinks it's on par with SMB3 and SMW at this therm, I felt that.

What really compromise this game is how easy you can get extra lifes, example: jumping into top the flags...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
TheGreatDave said:
Like what? A feather and a big overworld with the same amount of content?

The feather was awesome in SMW. I'd love to see a flying item return for NSMB2. And sprites. PLEASE use sprites, Nintendo!

Evlar

Banned
BrokenFiction said:
I've heard this, and like I said - I've been getting back into platformers thanks to the DS. What do people think of this and Super Princess Peach for a platforming newbie?
You're a platforming newbie? Yoshi's Island DS will break all your fingers and spit on your mother. It's old-school platforming fun.

RPS37

UncleGuito said:
Too liner, had really bad music, crappy powerups, and overall I felt as though it was just scrapped together.

That's really what did it (makes me dislike the game so much) for me. There are no new power ups! The only new powerup - the mega mushroom - is only possible so few times. I probably spent 95% of the game using a fire flower - lame. If I had a choice between NSMB and Castelvania: Portrait of Ruin, I'd definitely go for PoR instead. (definitely quite a different style game...but hey! they're DS games...)

I really need to trade this cart in for Mario Kart.

The Sphinx said:
You're a platforming newbie? Yoshi's Island DS will break all your fingers and spit on your mother. It's old-school platforming fun.

Yeah, I had avoided them like the plague because I sucked at them, but the DS whispers in my ear while I sleep that I need to play them now.

Ferd

RPS37 said:
That's really what did it (makes me dislike the game so much) for me. There are no new power ups! The only new powerup - the mega mushroom - is only possible so few times. I probably spent 95% of the game using a fire flower - lame. If I had a choice between NSMB and Castelvania: Portrait of Ruin, I'd definitely go for PoR instead. (definitely quite a different style game...but hey! they're DS games...)

I really need to trade this cart in for Mario Kart.

Uh...Blue shell and Mini Mario...?

Oblivion said:
The feather was awesome in SMW. I'd love to see a flying item return for NSMB2. And sprites. PLEASE use sprites, Nintendo!

Meh. It's essentially designed around letting people fly through the level without doing any work. Mario World's cape was a joke. At least the leaf in Mario 3 had some limitations placed on it so you couldn't just breeze through half a dozen levels.

Unless we get a Super Paper Mario DS, I'm happy with 2.5D.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
UncleGuito said:

You underestimate the average human being, man. You really should see how ravenously some of my female friends played NSMB, and they`re not gamers. Hell, they don`t have DSes. I just lent them by spare DS to share with each other.

Top Bottom