• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Weekly Update 4/27 - H2 Map issue, Beta news, ****-hot Halo 3 art

GhaleonEB

H3_EmotionLandscape.jpg

We’re very excited to show off the second part of our Halo 3 image branding. This one is known colloquially as “Emotion” and it’s just a lovely, stirring piece that speaks to both the fiction and the atmosphere of the new game. The more you look at it, the more you get from it. The Chief model was built and posed from the game, and rendered out in this mixed media piece, which is part CG, part painting and a healthy dose of Photoshop thrown in for good measure. The background holds some interesting atmosphere, from the skeletal wreckage of the fallen Mombasa space tether, to those hauntingly familiar eyes in the background. Anyway, that’s enough talk – here’s a pic. This one will be appearing soon enough, in various locations in both landscape and portrait orientations.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12392

And just like that, I've got new wallpaper.

You’ll also be pleased to hear that split-screen will be an option, although limited to two people in the Public Beta. We’ve also done something cool with the splitscreen display for HD monitors – instead of stretching the horizontal or vertical axes into big, scary too wide or too tall horrors, we’ve sensibly windowed the action, maintaining lots of screen real estate, but preserving a proper, playable aspect ratio.

No, this feature we’re testing is for the moment, just a fun addition, that’s planned to grow into something pretty amazing by launch, and that feature is Saved Films. The version you’ll try in the Beta, is very, very, very limited. We just want you to play around with the general concept. You’ll be reading more about this in the gaming press in the next month or two, and of course you can try it out for yourselves in less than a month.

Perhaps more enticing is the mention of a VERY large map that went from being just about the most empty, soulless placeholder geometry in the entire game, to one of the moodiest, most atmospheric and beautiful maps we’ve ever made. It’s also the single largest multiplayer map. You pretty much need a vehicle to get around in it, so luckily, destroyed vehicles respawn super-fast.

May 11th was mentioned in a San Jose Mercury News blog as an “unveiling” date for Halo 3. Of course Halo 3 was in fact “unveiled” at E3 a year ago. The May 11th date simply refers to a Public Beta preview for the press so they can get their stories done for the real Public Beta launch a few days later.

Wired Magazine’s editor in chief, Chris Anderson, revealed in his blog a couple of pages of script dialog that he’d recorded. Interweb sleuths thought they’d discovered some plot points. Sad to say that other than the dialog itself and the names of the characters on those script pages, just about everything else is a red herring. So don’t read too much into it.

The X-button is second nature. You’ll know when you’re carrying equipment – it’ll appear in your HUD, and all you do to use it is press X. On that note, I saw another meme pop up, and not an unreasonable one at that: You might be able to drop a shield on a vehicle and then drive around shielded. Well, nope. Cool as that might look, it would probably make a vehicle way too powerful. You should try playing around with what you can and can’t do with shields (and whatever else you find) in the Beta. It’s a blast.

raYne

Didn't think Saved Films would make it into the Beta. Even though it's a scaled down version, that's still good news.

The X-button is second nature. You’ll know when you’re carrying equipment – it’ll appear in your HUD, and all you do to use it is press X. On that note, I saw another meme pop up, and not an unreasonable one at that: You might be able to drop a shield on a vehicle and then drive around shielded. Well, nope. Cool as that might look, it would probably make a vehicle way too powerful. You should try playing around with what you can and can’t do with shields (and whatever else you find) in the Beta. It’s a blast.
That's a shame...

Actually, no it really isn't.

Wolffen

Damn, Frankie posted early today! The split screen in the beta means I might (MIGHT) get my wife to actually try playing Halo again, sooner than I expected. Splitting my 50" into essentially 2 ~25" TVs will be excellent.

GhaleonEB

The introduction of Cortana as a forboding figure, even a little frightening, is pretty significant in terms of the where the fiction is heading.

Smokey

New wallpaper confirmed..please let the September release date rumor be true..

Cortana's eyes look bad. As in deceiving and evil....

Every time I think about this game I realize it will be the best game of 07. Bungie please deliver. I was in denial for years on how bad Halo 2 MP sucked. But now I realize it sucks and I want you to fix it. Please.

Tieno

GhaleonEB said:
The introduction of Cortana as a forboding figure, even a little frightening, is pretty significant in terms of the where the fiction is heading.
I have a feeling where they might be going with a Chief and Cortana (based on some previous Bungie talk) and it scares me :(

GhaleonEB

Smokey Bones said:
1080p or bust Bungie sorry

So is he basically debunking the 1080p rumor?
I'd say, yes.

The strangest rumor of all was that MS was “forcing” Bungie to make Halo 3 60 fps at 1080p. Um, it was one thing to see that on a forum, but it was strange to see it on regular news site.

1080p at 60 fps is awesome for fighting games and barely a stretch for Live Arcade games. But if you want epic battles, dozens of bad guys, huge vistas and colossal structures, with advanced AI, HDR lighting and explosive physics, then you’re not getting those at 1080p at 60fps. Actually, that’s not entirely accurate – Halo 3 will display at 1080p through the Xbox Elite with its scaler and HDMI port, but not natively. We’ve seen it do just that and it looks utterly lovely. So if you have a 1080p TV, enjoy it yourself in a few weeks. Most people, and I mean the VAST majority of people don’t have a 1080p TV, so it would be foolish to sacrifice even a single feature for a bullet point number on the back of a box.

The only number we’re committing to is that our number one priority is to make Halo 3 look awesome, smooth, detailed and innovative, no matter what resolution you run it at. Although that said, it does look significantly better in HD, so maybe you should convince the powers that be, that now is the time for a set upgrade?

Tieno said:
holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit

Someone whittle that down to just the art and we'll have a contender for best image ever.

Smokey

The strangest rumor of all was that MS was “forcing” Bungie to make Halo 3 60 fps at 1080p. Um, it was one thing to see that on a forum, but it was strange to see it on regular news site.

1080p at 60 fps is awesome for fighting games and barely a stretch for Live Arcade games. But if you want epic battles, dozens of bad guys, huge vistas and colossal structures, with advanced AI, HDR lighting and explosive physics, then you’re not getting those at 1080p at 60fps. Actually, that’s not entirely accurate – Halo 3 will display at 1080p through the Xbox Elite with its scaler and HDMI port, but not natively. We’ve seen it do just that and it looks utterly lovely. So if you have a 1080p TV, enjoy it yourself in a few weeks. Most people, and I mean the VAST majority of people don’t have a 1080p TV, so it would be foolish to sacrifice even a single feature for a bullet point number on the back of a box.

The only number we’re committing to is that our number one priority is to make Halo 3 look awesome, smooth, detailed and innovative, no matter what resolution you run it at. Although that said, it does look significantly better in HD, so maybe you should convince the powers that be, that now is the time for a set upgrade?

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Bungie here is my $$$ for Halo 3 Legendary Edition

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:

the first vidoc hinted at that as well

GhaleonEB

Although that said, it does look significantly better in HD, so maybe you should convince the powers that be, that now is the time for a set upgrade?

On that note, I've just gotten approval to buy an HDTV with my mid-year bonus after an extensive lobbying effort. The bonus hits in August, just in time for the September release.

Believe.

op_ivy said:
the first vidoc hinted at that as well
True, but it was more vauge hinting. This artwork is downright frightening, much darker in tone than anything in the Halo trilogy so far. The sun is setting on earth, and Cortana's rising.

And after looking at that artwork, you know what else is rising?

That pic is yumm. I can't wait until the 16th!!!

Also, if I were to guess, I would guess the saved films go straight to your HDD... correct?

Sai

So, I know the control scheme isn't final, but I'm going to bring it up anyways:

Is the X Button only used for depoying the equipment at the moment? Will we be given the choice to pick up, drop, or exchange the equipment by holding it?

Smokey

GhaleonEB said:
On that note, I've just gotten approval to buy an HDTV with my mid-year bonus after an extensive lobbying effort. The bonus hits in August, just in time for the September release.

Believe.

True, but it was more vauge hinting. This artwork is downright frightening, much darker in tone than anything in the Halo trilogy so far. The sun is setting on earth, and Cortana's rising.

:lol

I'm 100% sure I'm staying away from any previews or anything for this game just like I did with Halo 2. I bet Cortana has been working with the Covenant the entire time or something along those lines.

TemplaerDude said:
please update on whether the game is good, thanks.

Get out thanks

Smokey Bones said:
Get out thanks

please refer me to any part where i may have mentioned any other bungie game being "bad", which is what i'm pretty sure you're referring to. my suggestion to you is to "chill the **** out".

Smokey

TemplaerDude said:
please refer me to any part where i may have mentioned any other bungie game being "bad", which is what i'm pretty sure you're referring to. my suggestion to you is to "chill the **** out".

My suggestion to you is get the sand outta your vagina.

And then calm down.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:

And after looking at that artwork, you know what else is rising?

vauge? i dunno about that...

"cortana is in trouble"

"in the clutches of the gravemind..."

"we dont know whats happened to her since then... we dont know its cortana... it could be any sort of bizarre, almost satanic voice"

"something seems wrong"

Smokey Bones said:
My suggestion to you is get the sand outta your vagina.

And then calm down.

i'm not the one with my panties in a twist because someone made a joke.

* in fact, i'm ending this right now i'm not commenting on anything you say anymore, grow up.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Well yeah, put also in terms of gameplay it makes you wonder who will be the new "voice in your head." One of the things that has always helped Halo not seem like you're just wandering around is Cortana, so with her gone you have to wonder who will take her place.

raYne

Sai said:
So, I know the control scheme isn't final, but I'm going to bring it up anyways:

Is the X Button only used for depoying the equipment at the moment? Will we be given the choice to pick up, drop, or exchange the equipment by holding it?
It's pretty final. At this point they've been testing/using it for a while, so I wouldn't expect any changes.

X is to pick up, deploy and swap equipment. Dropping an item/weapon wasn't in the previous games and since it was never spoken of or hinted at, I'd expect it to be the same here.

Smokey

TemplaerDude said:
i'm not the one with my panties in a twist because someone made a joke.

:lol :lol

It's a game I don't care what you say about it. You got sensitive because I told you to get out. Extra sensitive people on GAF the last few days.

It's done and over now.

Moving right along has it been confirmed what weapons will be in the beta, or maybe all of them will?

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:
vauge? i dunno about that...

"cortana is in trouble"
That doesn't mean she's become a possible enemy - just in that she's in trouble, which we knew from the end of Halo 2.

"in the clutches of the gravemind..."
That made her sound like some sort of prisoner. Dangerous situation to be in, but not one that should make us fear her, as this image does.

"we dont know whats happened to her since then... we dont know its cortana... it could be any sort of bizarre, almost satanic voice"
Two seperate quotes. The first is placing doubt on what's happened to her. The other is Marty talking about how the entire opening of the announcement cinematic is a tease - we don't see the Chief, don't know it's Cortana, don't hear the Halo theme.

"something seems wrong"
Could be that she's gone evil, or in trouble (as said above), any number of things.

But I think this image puts those quotes in a new context. The context of: Earth is so, so ****ed.

GhaleonEB

Djungelfrukt said:
Fall 2007, does that mean that we won't be seeing a november-release? September maybe?
November is fall, but it doesn't rule out September or October, either. We probably won't get a date until the beta is over.

squicken

Stinkles said:
Halo 3 is still a 16-player game, and the reality is that most people prefer smaller games than that

Argh. While it's probably true most people prefer smaller games, many of us like 16 player gametypes but gave up b/c of the lag. Please make smooth 8x8 games Bungie.

raYne

Smokey Bones said:
Moving right along has it been confirmed what weapons will be in the beta, or maybe all of them will?
We'll have to wait until the reveal on the 11th for that. The weapons/vehicles are dependant on which levels we get, and we don't know any of those either.

the disgruntled gamer said:
Well yeah, put also in terms of gameplay it makes you wonder who will be the new "voice in your head." One of the things that has always helped Halo not seem like you're just wandering around is Cortana, so with her gone you have to wonder who will take her place.
There were levels in the past without her, so I can't say it's that big a deal.

The Marine chatter, coupled with mission updates/status from the higher ups, will probably be used to fill the void.

Sai

raYne said:
It's pretty final. At this point they've been testing/using it for a while, so I wouldn't expect any changes.
"I thought I would take a moment or two today to run you through the Beta control scheme (it will certainly change or improve between now and launch, after all) and so below, you’ll see a diagram of the current default scheme."

:eek:

Maybe it would be better to say that we shouldn't expect any big changes to the default control scheme.

X is to pick up, deploy and swap equipment.
All I've heard thus far is deployment. Has it been confirmed that you can pick up and swap them with X?

Dropping an item/weapon wasn't in the previous games and since it was never spoken of or hinted at, I'd expect it to be the same here.
Seeing as how rare and spread apart these items are supposed to be, the option to drop them wouldn't hurt though, right?

Kuroyume

Banned
I wish these aholes with the map issues would get their shit together so I could play the damn maps on matchmaking already. I'm tired of waiting.

Zeal

Banned
I also think Frankie calling the supposed ARG bogus is misinformation. He did the same with ILoveBees at first.

Top Bottom