• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Weekly Update 4/27 - H2 Map issue, Beta news, ****-hot Halo 3 art

Smokey

Maybe it's just me but I'm more anxious to welcome the return of:

arifle_large.jpg

Yeah I wanna see the new maps, but starting off with this gun rather than the piece of shit known as the SMG has the potential to revive Halo MP.

Cortana is rampant. Halo 3 ends with a tear-jerking scene in which you press the delete button on MasterChiefPC and send her to the recycle-bin-nether from which there is no undelete.

GhaleonEB

Zeal said:
I also think Frankie calling the supposed ARG bogus is misinformation. He did the same with ILoveBees at first.
Incorrect. They never commented on it one way or the other. Frankie also posted directly on the HBO forum shooting it down as tied to Halo 3 or Bungie.

raYne

Sai said:
Maybe it would be better to say that we shouldn't expect any big changes to the default control scheme.
As I said, "pretty final". ;)

It's probably more of a "just in case" statement. They'll wait and see what the feedback is from the public playing the Beta and make any needed changes if necessary.

Like I said, this has been the scheme for a while now. If they actually had planned changes in mind, it would've been done already.

Sai said:
Seeing as how rare and spread apart these items are supposed to be, the option to drop them wouldn't hurt though, right?
It wouldn't help either. You'd just be giving said rare items to other people.. possibly your enemies. Since you aren't hindered in any way by holding it, why would you want to drop it?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Smokey Bones said:
Maybe it's just me but I'm more anxious to welcome the return of:
arifle_large.jpg

Yeah I wanna see the new maps, but starting off with this gun rather than the piece of shit known as the SMG has the potential to revive Halo MP.

The assault rifle is one of the big reasons I love Halo 1.

I love the design, sound and feel of shooting it.

AR = AWESOMNESS

Mmmkay

What, nobody have that exploding jizz gif handy? That artwork am ****awesome :O

Red herrings included or not I'm still staying away from that 'leak'.

Sai

raYne said:
You'd just be giving said rare items to other people..
Right, like the bomb carrier in a game of Assault, or the Ball holder in Team Oddball--assuming there is a scenario where you've picked up, say, a Bubble Shield, with no Equipment spawns nearby in order to switch them.

Having the option to drop 'em would be handy in those scenarios.

GhaleonEB

Cerrius said:
The assault rifle is one of the big reasons I love Halo 1.

I love the design, sound and feel of shooting it.

AR = AWESOMNESS
Agreed. I have this tendency to use it even when it's flagrantly inappropriate to the combat situation at hand. I'm so glad the new weapon will have a bit more range, so I can further justify toting it around everywhere.

TDG

Banned
raYne said:
There were levels in the past without her, so I can't say it's that big a deal.

The Marine chatter, coupled with mission updates/status from the higher ups, will probably be used to fill the void.
Well, it was okay the in most levels, but one level (The Library) in Halo stood out as feeling like wandering around in the dark with little context, though you did have 343 Guilty Spark acting goofy.

raYne

Sai said:
Right, like the bomb carrier in a game of Assault, or the Ball holder in Team Oddball--assuming there is a scenario where you've picked up, say, a Bubble Shield, with no Equipment spawns nearby in order to switch them.

Having the option to drop 'em would be handy in those scenarios.
More than likely the equipment won't be available in those gametypes (I can think of quite a few ways they'd be overpowered in them), so we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. ;)

GhaleonEB

the disgruntled gamer said:
Well, it was okay the in most levels, but one level (The Library) in Halo stood out as feeling like wandering around in the dark with little context, though you did have 343 Guilty Spark acting goofy.
Also, we had the Arbiter levels in Halo 2 that didn't feature Cortana. I got used to her not being there from those.

You’ll also be pleased to hear that split-screen will be an option, although limited to two people in the Public Beta. We’ve also done something cool with the splitscreen display for HD monitors – instead of stretching the horizontal or vertical axes into big, scary too wide or too tall horrors, we’ve sensibly windowed the action, maintaining lots of screen real estate, but preserving a proper, playable aspect ratio.

Interesting. I will definately give this a try. Think a 48-hour code will let my friend play the beta with me on a second profile? I'm asking because the 48-hour code sometimes has odd limitations.

a Master Ninja said:
Interesting. I will definately give this a try. Think a 48-hour code will let my friend play the beta with me on a second profile? I'm asking because the 48-hour code sometimes has odd limitations.
You probably won't even need a code as it will be a guest log in.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Also, we had the Arbiter levels in Halo 2 that didn't feature Cortana. I got used to her not being there from those.
Well yeah, but then you had Tartarus or Half-Jaw talking to you. It's just going to be interesting, considering the marines are supposed to be scattered/ dead, to see who (if anybody) will fill the role of Cortana.

GhaleonEB

Conspiracy theory mode: On

It was in the February 16th update that we got the first look at the Halo 3 teaser campaign. Frankie described it as:

Several months ago, work began with folks over the MGS Marketing team to develop the "brand identity" for Halo 3. This basically refers to the look and feel that will come to represent the game to fans and customers around the world. The first step was the logo itself which is followed by promotional imagery and the actual box art itself. If you recall back to Halo 2, we had a series of images that were used on everything from print ads to billboards that were dubbed the "Golden Campaign." These images featured Master Chief against a fiery orange (golden) sky and the three pieces grew in intensity as the marketing campaign progressed.

For Halo 3 we're taking a similar approach and building three distinct visual pieces that will be used in the months leading up to launch. These visuals are meant to convey various elements of the game and ultimately build awareness and create excitement - much in the same way you might see a major motion picture positioned and marketed.

Even though we showed Halo 3 for the first time last May, the official marketing campaign for the game is just now starting to begin. With this kickoff comes the first phase of visual identity - what is creatively being referred to as the "teaser piece." While it may not be anything new for fans who have been following Halo 3 all along, it's still very cool, very iconic and evokes a sense of mystery and intrigue. It teases you if you will. Although, it does contain ONE very important piece of information. Cough.
http://nikon.bungie.org/bwu/index.html?item=114

The Halo 2 teaser campaign didn't start until summer. The Halo 3 campaign is starting in early spring. With a three-part campaign for Halo 3, I was expecting the second one to come out in early summer, and the last one in late summer/early fall. But here we are in late April, and we've got part two of three. The actual print marketing of Halo 3 is starting earlier than the print campaign for Halo 2.

Two possibilities. The first is that Halo 3 will release around the same time frame as the last one, November, and Microsoft is just giving it an awareness campaign early. They want to push 360's and it's the tent pole game of their holiday lineup. The other is the campaign is starting earlier because the actual release of the game is earlier. Maybe a couple of months. Say, September-ish.

Believe.

Chinner

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

I'm guessing the Marines and Sgt. Johnson will be playing a larger and more consistant role this time around. Makes sense to me anyway, you're on Earth and everyone is giving a final push to try and survive.

Hell, maybe the Chief will say stuff during gameplay?

CAPCOWNED

Banned
Any photoshop wizard out there that want to remove the stuff i've marked out:

49llc2d.png

but in the big version?

Awesome wallpaper but I can't stand company logos etc on wallpapers.

Or maybe Stinkles/Luke can hook us up with an unspoiled one? ;)

Sean

Banned
Perhaps more enticing is the mention of a VERY large map that went from being just about the most empty, soulless placeholder geometry in the entire game, to one of the moodiest, most atmospheric and beautiful maps we’ve ever made. It’s also the single largest multiplayer map. You pretty much need a vehicle to get around in it, so luckily, destroyed vehicles respawn super-fast.

^ Warthog Inc probably.... hopefully Race is added back, it seems like one of the easier gameplay modes to create and that map sounds like it'd be a perfect fit for that.

Striker

Sean said:
^ Warthog Inc probably.... hopefully Race is added back, it seems like one of the easier gameplay modes to create and that map sounds like it'd be a perfect fit for that.
I'm hoping it's a larger, darker map similar to Halo 1's Sidewinder.

MrDaravon

Split-screen beta = awesome

My two best friends don't have 360s yet but we still play Halo 2 a lot, so that's pretty rad and unexpected for the beta, thanks bungie!

GhaleonEB

Gleeky said:
They have yet to upload..
Frankie posted the update about two hours early today. He may have been in a hurry to get out and forgot to upload them. Hopefully they go up over the weekend.

deftangel

took a programming course
Looking at this shot makes me think it would be awesome to play through a campaign level as the sun sets so by the end the tone and mood had darkened like this :)

gohepcat

Banned
squicken said:
Argh. While it's probably true most people prefer smaller games, many of us like 16 player gametypes but gave up b/c of the lag. Please make smooth 8x8 games Bungie.

It's not up to Bungie to give people enough upstream bandwidth to host 16 player matches.

It's been a few years, and upstream bandwidth has creeped up a little. It should be better.

Tieno

So I got a couple of questions about the save replay feature
1)Does it record audio?
2)Can you use it in single player? I imagine some random cool stuff will happen in the sp campaign and I'd like to record that.
3)Can the recorded footage be used to report on cheaters/modders/etc? (if it records audio, maybe even verbal abusers too).

squicken

gohepcat said:
It's been a few years, and upstream bandwidth has creeped up a little. It should be better.

There's a reason they killed off 8x8 for Halo 2, so I don't think users' bandwidth has really gone up that much. Netcode definitely has something to do with it. And then there's always the option of dediated servers . . .

Top Bottom