• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Weekly Update 4/27 - H2 Map issue, Beta news, ****-hot Halo 3 art

GhaleonEB

Tieno said:
So I got a couple of questions about the save replay feature
1)Does it record audio?
2)Can you use it in single player? I imagine some random cool stuff will happen in the sp campaign and I'd like to record that.
3)Can the recorded footage be used to report on cheaters/modders/etc? (if it records audio, maybe even verbal abusers too).
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Don't know. I hope so.

Tieno

Thanks for answering 2/3 questions GhaleonEB!
Sai said:
Really? So we'll be able to hear everybody's voice chatter throughout the replays too?
I think it's awesome for people who want to do low-budget crosscountry machinema.

Chinner

Banned
I've always been a BTB person, playing it with a proper team and seeing everyone advancing towards the other base is just hella cool. Lag can be a problem sometimes, but 80% of the time I find it playable.

best thing about recording mp matches imo is all the funky youtube remixes we see after of people getting owned hard. Well it's only one thing but damn, going to be fun.

Nice update. Well done, Frankie. I'm looking forward to that preview in two weeks. :)

I will say the only thing that concerns me about the new controller scheme, however, is the requirement to press the D-pad to communicate. From the looks of it, I'll be using the equipment a lot less than communicating during combat. I know Frankie said the alpha build had the X button mapped as the talking button (because deployables were included in that build), and I'm hoping there's something like that in the beta.

Then again, I probably shouldn't knock it until I try it. I just suck bad enough, I can't image how bad I would be if I had to constantly move my thumb off the right analog stick to talk.

GhaleonEB

Tieno said:
Thanks for answering 2/3 questions GhaleonEB!

I think it's awesome for people who want to do low-budget crosscountry machinema.
I misunderstood your question - I don't know if it records in-game chatter. That's what I get for posting in the middle of the night, sorry. :( Since the files are said to be very small, I doubt it, as that would bloat the files quite a bit.

urk said:
Rampancy, baby.
Yeah, I think that's likely now. I wasn't so sure just based on the announcement trailer.

Goddamn. That artwork still amazes me.

GhaleonEB said:
I misunderstood your question - I don't know if it records in-game chatter. That's what I get for posting in the middle of the night, sorry. :( Since the files are said to be very small, I doubt it, as that would bloat the files quite a bit.

You know I would have thought the same way, but in one of the humpday challenges there was this line.

We employed the typical Joe Tung/KP strategy. Grab sniper rifle and dominate the hill. This can get kind of ridiculous, and as we watch the saved film this morning I get called all sorts of synonyms for a working girl.

So yeah, version in development, features to change and all that, but at least at some point the possibility of having voice chat recorded along with the films was considered for the game.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mr. Lemming said:
So yeah, version in development, features to change and all that, but at least at some point the possibility of having voice chat recorded along with the films was considered for the game.

Nope, I was being called a whore by the group watching the saved film. Saved films are just data, not video - so the only audio you get is the game engine audio - altough the audio team has done some amazingly clever things for when you hit pause.

Smoke and mirrors.

I don't see Cortana becoming a true villain.

They'll probably give us the appearance that Cortana is working against humanity, only to realize, at the very last moment, when all hope seems lost, that she was leading the enemy into a trap.

GhaleonEB

JdFoX187 said:
I just want to know if and how we'll be able to transfer the files to our comps.
I hope so. Frankie hinted in the update that saved films will be huge:

No, this feature we’re testing is for the moment, just a fun addition, that’s planned to grow into something pretty amazing by launch, and that feature is Saved Films. The version you’ll try in the Beta, is very, very, very limited. We just want you to play around with the general concept. You’ll be reading more about this in the gaming press in the next month or two, and of course you can try it out for yourselves in less than a month.
I'm hoping there's some kind of distribution system in place, to view friends games on the 360 or to be able to download a fixed-view version to bungie.net, for example. There's gotta be a way to share them.

GhaleonEB

professor_t said:
Smoke and mirrors.

I don't see Cortana becoming a true villain.

They'll probably give us the appearance that Cortana is working against humanity, only to realize, at the very last moment, when all hope seems lost, that she was leading the enemy into a trap.
I dunno. I didn't see Halo 2 taking a fallen Covenant general and turning him into a hero, or turning 343 Guilty Spark into something other than a backstabbing bastard, or having the Covenant split into a civil war. The plot went directions I'd never expected. I have no idea what's going to happen in Halo 3.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
GhaleonEB said:
I dunno. I didn't see Halo 2 taking a fallen Covenant general and turning him into a hero, or turning 343 Guilty Spark into something other than a backstabbing bastard, or having the Covenant split into a civil war. The plot went directions I'd never expected. I have no idea what's going to happen in Halo 3.

for all we know, the gravemind is going to sneak into the ark all by himself and fires all the halos

GhaleonEB

Nick said:
So wait, why didn't Stinkles acknowledge the leaked Halo 3 Beta video?
I was expecting some kind of comment, but it makes sense not to publicize it further. It was leak, they're not happy about it, they're moving on. That's the impression I got.

Okin

The game features sound great. Not a real big fan of the "ambiguously moody eyes in a background" approach for that art.

I hope Sidewinder is the big level.

Stinkles

Okin said:
The game features sound great. Not a real big fan of the "ambiguously moody eyes in a background" approach for that art.

I hope Sidewinder is the big level.

Great post. AAA. Would read again.

Stinkles

Doom_Bringer said:
Frankie you need upload some more wallpapers on bungie.net! I need some good Halo 3 wallpapers

I fixed the portrait one, something's wrong with our indexing right now, so it's not showing in the wallpaper section correctly - but I stuck a direct link in the Update itself.

GhaleonEB

Stinkles said:
I fixed the portrait one, something's wrong with our indexing right now, so it's not showing in the wallpaper section correctly - but I stuck a direct link in the Update itself.
Thank you. :D

Stinkles said:

Ok, please upload some wallpapers from the CG trailer you guys released earlier this year.

Thanks!

4ckz4g3.jpg

Awesome but bad quality

Holy shit that picture is so badass. Best artwork yet for Halo 3.

Love the cortana eyes in the backdrop... really gives you a sense of how alone Master Chief will be.

GhaleonEB said:

There's no doubt that Bungie can and will deliver some surprises, but isn't Cortana too well-liked to risk turning her into an antagonist?

Moreover, I think that truly selling us on Cortana's turn to the dark side before ultimately revealing some sort of clandestine operation on her part would be a decent surprise
Except for the fact that I just mentioned it

GhaleonEB

professor_t said:
There's no doubt that Bungie can and will deliver some surprises, but isn't Cortana too well-liked to risk turning her into an antagonist?
Was the Covenant too hated to have one be a protagonist? :p

CAPCOWNED

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
I just want to know if and how we'll be able to transfer the files to our comps.

This needs to be the case. I want to be able to download demos from big tournaments just like CS and Quake demos.

Ramirez

My memory is foggy, but seems like in one of the books I read it said how all of the A.I.'s eventually become crazy and have to be deleted or whatever. Maybe she's ran her course of being sane :lol

squicken

It would be awfully tough to get 720p, 15 minute long gameplay movies from the 360 to the PC. If the replays are just running in-engine with Halo 3, the file sizes should be small enough to share. Our best hope is that some kind of video editor is available within the game. I doubt we'll really know until later this year, as Frankie mentioned that the replay function will be bare bones in the beta. But maybe Bungie will suprise us.

giga

squicken said:
It would be awfully tough to get 720p, 15 minute long gameplay movies from the 360 to the PC. If the replays are just running in-engine with Halo 3, the file sizes should be small enough to share. Our best hope is that some kind of video editor is available within the game. I doubt we'll really know until later this year, as Frankie mentioned that the replay function will be bare bones in the beta. But maybe Bungie will suprise us.
Not with the right encoding.

GhaleonEB said:
Was the Covenant too hated to have one be a protagonist? :p

*I* certainly didn't think so -- I loved the arbiter -- but there was a lot of bitching around these parts . . .

Plus, making a bad guy sympathetic by introducing even more loathsome bad guys is one thing, but turning a hero into a villain is quite another.

I agree with you about encountering the unexpected -- it's a hallmark of good storytelling -- but I'm just not sure Bungie will go that far.

GhaleonEB

professor_t said:
*I* certainly didn't think so -- I loved the arbiter -- but there was a lot of bitching around these parts . . .

Plus, making a bad guy sympathetic by introducing even more loathsome bad guys is one thing, but turning a hero into a villain is quite another.

I agree with you about encountering the unexpected -- it's a hallmark of good storytelling -- but I'm just not sure Bungie will go that far.
True about taking a protagonist and turning her into a villian. Which is why I expect Bungie to make it much more complex than that, somehow. (I loved the Arbiter, BTW. Great character and story arc.)

DD-11 said:
ooo pilotable pelicans confirmed! I'm sure the texture work will improve, it's likely an alpha image.
i cried a little when they weren't in h2. i'm not a real man, i know. pelicans wouldn't work in multi though. y'need something smaller and more individually bad ass.

HarrierFront.jpg

HarrierSide.jpg

(again, blaze)

DD-11

That looks like it'll move way too far for multi. I think, if anything, we'll see a helo or jetpacks ala H2SP.

Top Bottom