• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Kirby: Canvas Curse

Nicktals

Banned
box-l.jpg

I recently picked this game up, after waiting to find it in person for $20 or less. I cry for the days I went without having played this game. And for what, a few dollars? Buy this game! Then buy a DS, if need be.

Here's why:

Story
Fluff.

Graphics
Fine. Nothing ground breaking, but certainly acceptable. Doesn't ever detract from gameplay.

Sound
Fitting. Not too annoying. What do you expect from a Kirby game?

Gameplay
Here's the gold mine. The game which makes the greatest use of the DS' ability, with really no feeling of being gimmicky.

The mechanics are simple. Touch an enemy to stun them. Touch Kirby to dash (or use abilities). Dash into an enemy or roll into them when they are stunned to acquire their ability. There are 11 abilities in all, mostly typical fair. They are often used to access special areas or collect medals.

What really differentiates this game is the magic paintbrush. Kirby has been turned into a ball, and is constantly moving. You solely use the touch screen for this game, drawing lines to manipulate Kirby's movement indirectly. Need to get over a gap? Draw a bridge. Need to reverse directions? Draw a wall. Need to protect Kirby from projectiles? Draw a line to act as a shield.

People visiting this thread have most likely already played the game, so I won't go into much more of the mechanics, but they really are very tight, smooth, and intuitive.

The game has fantastic level progression, with a lot neat variations on the basic gameplay. The levels can get fairly difficult, but certainly never frustrating. It's a prime example of a game where when you die, it's your fault. New twists are thrown at you in each level, the level design is fantastic, and it's just all around an incredibly enjoyable, unique platformer.

The only issue I had was with the boss battles. Only 3 bosses who you fight twice, and then a final boss. The boss battles are fun, but fairly gimmicky. I would have rather seen all unique bosses which fit in more with the core gameplay mechanics.

Replay Value
250 medals to collect, 5 playable characters, a couple of minigame bosses and a fair amount of unlockable courses. There are 8 levels consisting of 3 levels each. Each level typically consists of 3 areas. It won't take you long to beat it, but it's incredibly fun, and there's quite a bit of replay value, and decent incentives to replay. Well worth the money.

Reviews
IGN -- 9.0 out of 10
1UP -- 9.0 out of 10
Gamespot -- 8.6
Game Rankings Average -- 88%

Where to Buy
I got mine at Toys 'R Us for $20. You can probably find it even cheaper if you search. Gamestop/EB still had it for $30, I believe. Doesn't matter, just buy it.

Conclusion
Kirby: Canvas Curse is easily one of my top 5 DS games, and really impressed me with it's mechanics, level design, and gameplay. A fantastic game, and a fantastic portable game.

What Do You Think of Kirby: Canvas Curse for the Nintendo DS?
What Do You Think of Kirby: Canvas Curse for the Nintendo DS?

PkunkFury

This is still in my top 3 DS games.

Also the sound is awesome. Later you will unlock all of the old Kirby tracks and you'll have dozens of great tracks to choose from.

I even enjoyed the little mini games more than some other full DS games, particulalry the one where you quickly draw shapes. Few DS games have used the touchscreen as well as Kirby.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I approve this thread. This game makes you a touchscreen believer

underfooter said:
Great game, I disagree. The graphics aren't just fine, they are great. The hand-drawn style did the series well.

And this detail too. I loved the art of this game.

This was my second DS game. I got it not long after I got my DS and absolutely loved it. Anyone who owns a DS and never bought this game is a terrible person. I've never 100%'d it though. That tracing mini-game broke me. =( Don't think I finished one of the others either.

Link Man

Banned
Sorry to go off-topic for a moment, but I wonder if anybody has made a LTTP: LttP thread.

As for Kirby, I never really got to play it outside of the demo stations, but what I did play did seem interesting. Just not $29.99 interesting.

Nicktals

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Where's my Kirby Canvas Cursed 2?

Good question. Anyone know how well this game sold?

LinkAMN said:
As for Kirby, I never really got to play it outside of the demo stations, but what I did play did seem interesting. Just not $29.99 interesting.

That's what I thought too, until I bought it. Find it for $20 and buy it.

Absolutely fantastic game. The fact that they went back and did just a traditional Kirby game (Squeak Squad) after doing something so fun with the series really disappointed me. I'm hoping we'll get a Wii version though, with a level editor.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Excellent, excellent game, plenty of replay value too.

Easily the best 2D platformer in many years in terms of innovation alone. Everything else was top notch too

It's a good game but it kind of falls apart in the second half. Once every level is you running out of paint and frantically scribbling because the entire ground is magma and/or spikes, it's just not fun.

Fredescu

I've been trying to find this game but no luck so far. Is Squeak Squad a sequel or are they completely different games?

Edit, Answered:
AndoCalrissian said:
The fact that they went back and did just a traditional Kirby game (Squeak Squad)
Oh well.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
One of the best DS games. The first game to truly utilize the touchscreen in a meaningful way (or did Ouendan come out before it?). Every DS owner should try it out.

Sucks that they reverted to classic Kirby formula for the sequel. Did that even come out yet? I never saw much hype for it.

Nicktals

Banned
underfooter said:
Great game, I disagree. The graphics aren't just fine, they are great. The hand-drawn style did the series well.

Oh yeah, I loved them. This is more just personal opinion. I don't really care for graphics, and I'm no good at judging them. The only time I dock for graphics is if it detracts from the gameplay, or is obviously ugly. This game isn't ugly, and doesn't detract from the game.

I really hope to see Nintendo do something innovative/different with a platformer again soon.

DK Jungle Beat and Kirby Canvas Curse were just really clever, stylized, fun platformers.

I suppose Super Mario Galaxy is next in line, but I hope there's something else in the pipes that I don't know about.

On a side note, I would love to see a sequel to Canvas Curse.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Fredescu said:
I've been trying to find this game but no luck so far. Is Squeak Squad a sequel or are they completely different games?

Kirby Canvas Curse is the awesome game in question

Squeak Squad is just an average 2D platformer like the GBA Kirbys

ikalugar

I love Canvas Curse, I was so disappointed that the next DS Kirby wasn't a sequel to this. I would kill for another game in this style. One of my favorite games on the system.

Rlan

If a sequel was made, it should have a level editor built into it. The design of the levels were kind of blocky, and could be easily made into some cool puzzle solving levels. Hell, maybe an online racing mode would be pretty cool.

Nicktals

Banned
BobJustBob said:
It's a good game but it kind of falls apart in the second half. Once every level is you running out of paint and frantically scribbling because the entire ground is magma and/or spikes, it's just not fun.

See, I had that at first, but you really just have to change your style. Draw short, angled lines. It's difficult, but not frustrating. In fact I'd say the first half was too easy, and the second half was just right.

Rlan said:
If a sequel was made, it should have a level editor built into it. The design of the levels were kind of blocky, and could be easily made into some cool puzzle solving levels. Hell, maybe an online racing mode would be pretty cool.
Hell yeah, I'd be all over that!

This is probably my favorite DS game that's not of the Meteos/Elite Beat Ouendan persuasion. It manages to feel like a Kirby game while doing something completely unique and "DS-only". This is without a doubt the best Kirby game since Kirby Superstar, and after playing this, it's hard to go back to a game like Squeek Sqaud when what I really want is a sequel to this.

SO WHERE IS IT HAL/NINTENDO?! I WANT IT NOW! ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?! I AM AN ANGRY GAF-POSTER - ANSWER TO MY EVERY WHIM!!!
plz with sugar on top; I'll be your best friend <3

Rlan said:

Hell. Yes.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
strangely, I thought the use of the stylus was brilliant, and I loved the art, but I got bored with it after a couple hours. I really need to give it another try some day.

JavaMava

I really hate to use this phrase, but you honestly need to get better. The entire game has been training you to stop drawing long lines as paths and instead very short angled lines. Lines that are just short enough to continue your upward momentum or lines perpendicular to re-arrange your direction. If anything the game didn't really start to shine until the second half.

After you beat the game there are several bonus mission that you can buy that really test your ability at controlling the power ups. Lets not forget the option to do speed runs and maximum paint runs. The latter truly starts to feel like a puzzle game. "How can I possible scale this without using any paint? Oh wait I can dash and bounce of this wall, draw a super short line here to face the other direction and dash and bounce again!"

Kirby Canvas Curse was my first DS game. Kirby Canvas Curse is my favorite DS game.

Nicktals

Banned
Rlan said:

I agree. But let's not shortchange the time trial/paint trial modes. The time trial really feels like a race mode, and the paint mode can often turn into a puzzle mode. It's what I've been putting most of my time into after beating the game twice.

Jammy

Banned
This is one of the best DS games to this day and it along with Meteos I believe are what started DS's "rise to heaven" (or at least to PSP levels in the U.S.) sales-wise.

The music is typical Kirby fare. The graphics consist of very nice looking backgrounds with colorful enemies and animations. The gameplay is just unrivaled in originality. This is one of the first games Nintendo developed on the DS that took a gimmick and made it into a full-blown game. And shockingly enough, this Kirby has quite a bit of stuff to do after you beat it the first time. I had a good 19 hours clocked in and was 97% complete. That's stellar for the Kirby franchise.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
It sucks that Canvas Curse and Tony Hawk American Sk8land, my favorite DS games, had sequels that were totally different and not so great too.

VicAlpha said:
It sucks that Canvas Curse and Tony Hawk American Sk8land, my favorite DS games, had sequels that were totally different and not so great too.
Well, Squeek Squad wasn't totally different so much as it was just another Kirby game, but Downhill Jam sucked?

I never got around to picking it up, but I love THAS. What's wrong with DJ? :(

Yep, still one of the best games on DS, with (honestly) one of my favourite final boss encounters in any game.

The only problem I had was with the longer underwater sections - the later level design with spikes and lava etc was fiendish, but never unfair.

A really inventive title, with - as many have said - some excellent music.

JavaMava said:
I really hate to use this phrase, but you honestly need to get better. The entire game has been training you to stop drawing long lines as paths and instead very short angled lines. Lines that are just short enough to continue your upward momentum or lines perpendicular to re-arrange your direction. If anything the game didn't really start to shine until the second half.

After you beat the game there are several bonus mission that you can buy that really test your ability at controlling the power ups. Lets not forget the option to do speed runs and maximum paint runs. The latter truly starts to feel like a puzzle game. "How can I possible scale this without using any paint? Oh wait I can dash and bounce of this wall, draw a super short line here to face the other direction and dash and bounce again!"

Kirby Canvas Curse was my first DS game. Kirby Canvas Curse is my favorite DS game.

But see, the first half of the game was fun. It had some challenging parts but it managed to be fun at the same time. Once you get to the part you're talking about, the fun is gone and all that's left is the challenge. They had a nice balance of fun and challenge and then they tipped it all in the wrong direction. Some people like that sort of thing. I hate it. There has never been a game in the history of the world that was too easy, but nearly every game ever made has been too hard. Challenge sucks.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i've said it many times before, but this game remains the best showcase of the DS's touch screen. we need another DS game like it which utilises the touch screen so integrally to game play.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Scrow said:
i've said it many times before, but this game remains the best showcase of the DS's touch screen. we need another DS game like it which utilises the touch screen so integrally to game play.

Meteos? Ouendan? EBA?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
GreenGlowingGoo said:
Meteos? Ouendan? EBA?
meteos sucks.

haven't played ouendan.

EBA is awesome, and yeah i wouldn't want to play it without a touch screen, but it doesn't use the touch screen the same way kirby:cc does. in kirby:cc you actually draw the gameplay, in EBA you just tap stuff that comes up on screen.

iammeiam

This game was the first DS game I every truly loved, and to me marked the point where the DS really started picking up steam (at least, in the US)--I still go back and play it from time to time, and still enjoy the heck out of it.

I don't think the sales were very good, largely because it came out before the DS was really established, but I'd kill for a sequel to this game.

I really enjoyed this game, and still have to finish it, I think I have 2 full worlds to beat yet... haven't touched it in ages though, shame.

Android18a said:
I've never seen this game in a single store. Ever. Whats with that? Didn't it come out in the UK or something?
Dunno, dude. It came out in the UK in November '05 as Kirby: Power Paintbrush, though. Try checking again? :\

Top Bottom