• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S-E Party Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Trailer

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
http://www.ffta2.com/

Also, xcomp describes the new Job System:
In Ivalice, there will be various clans and Luso will be part of Cid’s clan. Every clan will have a Judge on their side protecting clan laws from being broken. As long as you don’t break any of these clan laws then you can revive unconcious members and also receive a stat bonus called “Clan Ability”. So if a member breaks a law, he/she will have to remain KOed.
http://xcomp.game*brink.com/?p=789

xcomp also translated that interview I asked so many about:
the interview…

* Sub quests will have an effect on storyline too, not just the main ones.
* The world map will be split into areas and areas will be further splitted into stages.
* Fulfilling certain conditions unlocks new areas.
* Monsters will have ranks and some other features not yet revealed.
* Judge and Law system remains as trademark of FFTA. With a Judge in your clan, your members can only be revived if you don’t break any of the clan laws. Opponent can also have a Judge on their team.
* The prison is now gone. You can earn merit points for having a Judge in your clan.
* No opening FMV.
* Controls are stylus and D-Pad [note: stylus controls wasn't in the S-E Party demo according to IGN]
* 10 new jobs if you count the races.
http://xcomp.game*brink.com/?p=730

It seems you don't need to have a Judge in your clan (unless I'm misinterpreting that part), and who knows what merit points do in the game... they might be necessary so you don't have a choice. Either way you don't go to prison anymore. Doesn't look like the story will be much better though. To me it sounds good so far and looks great (great 2D and the FX are quite nice), hopefully they'll improve the job system and equipment screen as well.

Meesh

Well, it looks good. These Tactics games are so deep I never end up finishing them...but I'll give it a go anyways :)

Never much liked the "Judge system" though...

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Hot damn! I can't wait! Even though I'll have to. ;_;

I wonder if there's any way to get a bonus from the previous FFTA game? Or won't the other slot work when the DS slot is active? My 187 hour god-level savegame could have some useful stuff. :D

Cruceh

Banned
Not judges again... FFTA wasn't as fun for me because of the judges and stupid laws. :\ Oh well, keeping an open mind I guess.

Gameplay-wise, the game is looking great. Story-wise, I dunno. I was hoping this would be more serious than FFTA1, but so far I'm seeing another magical book and lots of school kids. =/

Hopefully, there is no snowball fight, or bully who becomes the evil ruler of Ivalice. I'm hoping more for a Captain N-esque story with the kid being pulled into the book and transported to a serious incarnation of Ivalice (meaning, an Ivalice akin to FFT's).

jj984jj

I hated laws as well, which is why I pointed out that the system is completely different now, and between what BSY-sen and xcomp says it's completely optional now, but you can't revive characters if you choose not to have a Judge.

Looks pretty. Doesn't look like the story's gonna be too... deep, though. :p I wish they'd make it more along the lines of FFT/FF12/etc.

But of course that's not possible, I mean this is a Nintendo system we're talking about lolz.

bluemax

Banned
Looks like a slightly prettier version of the first one, with a similar story to match.

I put over a hundred hours into FFTA so this isn't a bad thing, especially if the gameplay has improved.

vanguardian1

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3159476

- The law card system returns, although this time around the game seems more forgiving, as the cards affect the enemies and not you.
- You don't gain experience until after the battles are complete and you return to your party management screen, at which point all the experience is spread evenly among your entire roster of characters, neatly avoiding the previous game's problem where players would not want to use lesser characters to fight battles, which meant that only a small handful of characters ever became powerful enough (via leveling up) to remain useful in battle. Now, since everyone gains the same experience for victorious skirmishes, players can bring out whatever job type they feel is appropriate for the fight.
- In the previous game, whenever you killed an enemy, be it man or beast, they'd leave a skeleton behind, or some sort of corpse-like remains, which a Judge would relocate at the end of every turn, ideally moving it out of the potential path of a player character. This time around, no bones will be left on screen, as Murasawa explains that the screen just looked cluttered with all that stuff on the small grid.
- As ever, you pick up quests and whatnot in the pub, paying a small fee for the privilege, with the reward for a victorious mission more than compensating for such initial investments. Murasawa tells us that A2 will break things up a little more from the previous game's nonstop battle-heavy focus, by adding minigames and other diversions in case players need a break from the main game.

For me, this game is THE reason to own a DS. :)

jj984jj

I don't want mini-games Murasawa, just make the game good. What's up with the first point though, you don't level up until the end of battle to distribute experience? I guess that's a good way to make sure there are no over-leveled characters in the game... hopefully it's only characters you did at least use on the map.

Grayman

Thats a fine pizza cutter sword. I was much more a fan of everything about FFT over TA, laws actually weren't that horrible because it was very easy to trade up for cards to remove the laws that affected your party.

vanguardian1 said:
Hot damn! I can't wait! Even though I'll have to. ;_;

I wonder if there's any way to get a bonus from the previous FFTA game? Or won't the other slot work when the DS slot is active? My 187 hour god-level savegame could have some useful stuff. :D
:lol You can get a cool monster in Monster Rancher DS by inserting the FFTA into the GBA slot.

jj984jj

vanguardian1 said:
As long as the minigames are optional, like the interview stated, what's the problem?
They could spend more time making the job system the best it can be instead.

Ravidrath

Looks very nice, especially the effects.

While I certainly am a fan of the original FFT, I really enjoyed the lightness of FFTA. Really looking forward to this.

bluemax

Banned
Sirusjr said:
yeah we dont need minigames in a tactics game. When I want minigames I play warioware.

Seriously I hate the feeling of developers to throw mini games into their games. Just make your game good and I'll keep playing it. Leave mini games to party games or Wario Ware type things.

tnw

Banned
The law system was okay. The kiddie-ness of the game turned me off from it.

Plus I don't like the animation of the moogles. FF6 moogles are the best!

XSamu

Banned
I loved the first one (one of the only GBA games I liked and finished), so I'll definitly be playing this one. :)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
tnw said:
The law system was okay. The kiddie-ness of the game turned me off from it.

Plus I don't like the animation of the moogles. FF6 moogles are the best!

:lol
for some reason just an image of you going

"Moogles are super"

Makes me laugh

tnw

Banned
Blackace said:
:lol
for some reason just an image of you going

"Moogles are super"

Makes me laugh

Final Fantasy 6 moogles are super.

Why is there something バス男 about that?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Shard said:
Another thing, please to be leaving the Legend of Mana level building out of this one.
My second biggest complaint with FFTA with the first being the optional missions only attainable through linking.

This looks pretty damn good though. Can't wait.

Bebpo

Banned
My biggest complaint was how slow the original was. Otherwise I thought it was a great game. But maaaaaan so slow.

I really hope this one speeds it up considerably or includes a FF button. If it's as slow as the first wait for the cpu to take their turns, with all the good games out this year, I dunno if I'll be able to finish it.

jj984jj

You still learn moves and spells depending on what weapon you equip, but now, thanks to the advent of a dual screen game machine (the DS), managing your inventory and checking up on your skill progression is no longer a nightmare -- you can battle on the bottom screen while you manage inventories, job classes, and equipment on the top.
Looks like they've improved the equipment screen, a bit disappointed that items are still the way you learn moves though.

When we pressed Murasawa in an interview about the first game's tendency to reward enemies with a "15 percent" chance to hit you with a hit 85 percent of the time, he claimed it was either a bug or just bad coincidence, and that we should expect the same mathematical calculations to return, based on what direction the enemy is facing, who has the terrain advantage, and a myriad of other factors.
What? A bug? Sure Murasawa.

You still can't rotate the screen, though, to gain a better perspective in some areas, like you could in the original Final Fantasy Tactics on PlayStation. Characters also seem to move a hair slower than they did in the GBA version, although not to the point where it's actually a problem.
:\

Make with the game more fun and convenient before it comes out dammit. These might be small issues but instead of dealing with them you decide to make mini-games?

Taxman

Oh boy... This is bad news. I played the first FFTA for over 100 hours in just a week. This is looking so good I don't know if I'll ever see the sun again.

vanguardian1

If the minigames have some sort of purpose relating to some parts of the game, I don't care, but if it's a baseless minigame just thrown in for fun, THEN I have a problem with it. Does that clarify? ;)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Basically agree with Bebpo's sentiments. The original game was slightly slow in terms of how the game played.

Hopefully the sequel can boost it up a bit.

Hunahan

Banned
Hmm. Looking good.

Some of the info is a bit hit and miss though.

I'll be looking forward to it either way. It's not like SRPG fans can be all that picky these days, afterall.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Too bad it still looks to be another "FFT Kids". I would rather have a real FFT sequel, so to speak...with a serious story, grown-up characters...oh, and no judges. Oh well.
Looks really nice still...and I lol'd at Luso's sword. :lol

BTW, who's making the music for this game? I'm sure I recognized a song in the trailer...must be from FFXII. Sakimoto, or did they just throw in one of his songs in there?

Snaku

Banned
Nice looking trailer, though I hope the story is more in line with the original FFT. Doesn't look like it so far though.. =/

ssoass

Kiriku said:
Too bad it still looks to be another "FFT Kids". I would rather have a real FFT sequel, so to speak...with a serious story, grown-up characters...oh, and no judges. Oh well.
Looks really nice still...and I lol'd at Luso's sword. :lol

BTW, who's making the music for this game? I'm sure I recognized a song in the trailer...must be from FFXII. Sakimoto, or did they just throw in one of his songs in there?

The first track in the trailer is the main theme of FFTA (by Uematsu) and the second is the boss theme from FFXII... the music on the main site is also from FFTA.
So the composer is probably Sakimoto but he hasn't got to doing any new music for it yet.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
:lol What kind of sword is that? I hope it transforms or something to excuse its ridiculous shape.

It has some nice eye-catching effects for a DS game.

FFTA was a huge step down from FFT, but what do you expect for GBA. I hope this DS version adds to the complexity and brings it a step back towards FFT. I really wish they would just do a FFT2.

this version is looking good though, and I'm really excited. Day 1 for me

Top Bottom