• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSL Color choice.

Xeke

Banned
So I've got to be one of the last few hold outs with still rockin the Phat and I think its about time to get the Lite. I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to white or black but I am curious to hear from people who own both colors about things like visible wear, scratches, and finger prints. I'm pretty much indifferent on the color other than how it retains its nice look into the future.

So what do you guys think? Preferably I'd only like to hear what you have to say if you own one of those two colors but I know thats not gonna happen.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Black shows fingerprints like a mofo. Some of the matte plastic on the white will gradually get drity, but it can be cleaned, and needs care much less frequently than the black system.

Brofist

White, or if Japanese models are up for consideration hold out for a silver one. Black is nice but too many fingerprints. The other colors look cheap, but that's just me.

Go with white. The yellowing problem can be fixed with Magic Eraser. :)

I own both (well my sister has the black one) and the white one looks much nicer IMHO.

ant1532

Banned
Banana Yellow FTW.

4ysm1ir.jpg

kpop100 said:
White, or if Japanese models are up for consideration hold out for a silver one. Black is nice but too many fingerprints. The other colors look cheap, but that's just me.

There's a silver one in the works? O_O

Rimshot

It's black yal, it's black yal, it's blacker then black n it's black yall!

Ok enough quoting in-movie songs. I think you should go with black. I got the white one when it came to match my mac and psp. But hell, I wish black was out when they were released in japan.

The white as mentioned before gets yellow at the shoulder buttons. And that looks awefull. So if you are getting white, remember to wash your hands everytime before you play ;)

Banned
I've got a white, and I just chuck it in my bag, in my pocket whatever and it's got no visible scratches and still looks new. The shoulder buttons go discoloured after a while, but you just need to clean them and they're fine.

I'd go white. Or that yellow! That looks awesome! I wish they made a 'grass green'. Like that green bay packers green. That'd look great.

Tailzo

I have my old DS too. I'm thinking about getting the DS lite, only because I suspect it coudl be better for playing outdoors. Now is that correct?

Odrion

Banned
Pfft, white is generic, boring, normal, average, vanilla, unexciting. Do you really want to own the average?

4pv23k4.jpg

Sleek, sexy, the night panther of handhelds. There's a reason why the monolith slab in 2001 was Jet Black.

Do Henry Ford proud and get the black. B^)

Banned
Tailzo said:
I have my old DS too. I'm thinking about getting the DS lite, only because I suspect it coudl be better for playing outdoors. Now is that correct?

yep, I could barely play my Fat DS on the bus, my DSL does it with ease on only the 2nd or 3rd brightness

Tailzo said:

Yes. The highest brightness setting makes it easy to play games under direct sunlight. :)

Tailzo

Thanks. If the price is right, I might buy a DS lite today, as Puzzle Quest should arrive very soon. Oh, adn I'm also wondering about the color choice. Does the black one get unhealthy warm when played in the sunlight?

Tailzo

I think I like the enramel blue just as much as the DSL black. I'm not sure if it has been released here in Europe, though. I can't wait to play DS games outdoors!

trinest

Tailzo said:
I think I like the enramel blue just as much as the DSL black. I'm not sure if it has been released here in Europe, though.
Only white and black have been released. Australia though gets light blue soon.

YYZ

Once you go black you never go back. I don't know why people get so anal over fingerprints, you can wipe it with a common cloth (only 1 gil each).

Blue is the best, but isn't available in NA.

C.T.

Tailzo said:
I think I like the enramel blue just as much as the DSL black. I'm not sure if it has been released here in Europe, though. I can't wait to play DS games outdoors!

japan only. but hes a lot darker than on those pictures. (imported mine)

ant1532 said:
No love for Ice Blue?

http://m1.freeshare.us/149fs478268.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://m1.freeshare.us/149fs478372.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

It looks like a bar of soap. :(

[IMG]http://www.gearlog.com/images/blue-vibrating-soap-web.jpg

Tailzo

Hm, no, I don't think Ice blue looks too good. I don't know, it looks kind of cheap. I think my choice will be black, as I don't mind fingerprints too much, as long as it isn't on the screens. + I don't like the "yellow effect" on white plastic.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Black for showing off and White for actual game playing. The former is prone to the same stuff the PSP and PS3 are.

I think I should have stuck with my Blue fat DS because the Lite doesn't make as big of a difference as most people want you to believe...

But yeah, I got black because I like black betetr than white, but I imagine it would be harder to see figner prints on the white one...

And awwww, Kadey! :D

SlaughterX said:
I think I should have stuck with my Blue fat DS because the Lite doesn't make as big of a difference as most people want you to believe...

But yeah, I got black because I like black betetr than white, but I imagine it would be harder to see figner prints on the white one...

BLASPHEMY!
I could never live without the enhanced backlight and smaller size. Plus, I have big hands so it's impossible to hold the original stylus :lol

Kadey said:
Black for showing off and White for actual game playing. The former is prone to the same stuff the PSP and PS3 are.

Black for real men and White for pansies. The former is prone to the same stuff the PSP and PS3 are.

FIX'D

Xeke

Banned
Well I've got a white Macbook and a white Wii but I have a black iPod. I'm thinking I'll stick witha black portable theme even though the macbook is kinda portable...Err whatever.

I have a white ds lite and even though both the hinge & the shoulder buttons tend to get a little dirty (goo gone & the magic eraser work wonders), it still looks practically brand new. I like how it matches my Wii & my JP PS2, but I would love to have the silver one because it would match my PSP & my powerbook :D .

bjork said:
Get the super sleek dark blue import so you can be in the cool club with your ol' pal bjork.
This person speaks the truth! Enamel Navy DS Lite is a sexy beast. I imported mine when they were released in Japan. I lucked out too since I guess the popular color to get was white, so I got my blue DSL like a week or two after the Japanese launch. RIP lik-sang. :(

Import the Enamel Navy. Still dark but not average like the black one. Plus the White has ugly brownish/yellow text on the buttons that ruin it for me. =(

Tobor

Magic eraser folks. The shoulder buttons will be sparkly white always. It works. We have proof in this thread.

Haunted

Very happy with my white one. No yellowing so far and it looks nice next to the Wiimotes and Nunchuks. :p

The black one doesn't appeal to me that much. Fingerprints are a nuisance, but I simply don't like the colour that much. If not for my white Wii/DS combo, I'd have gotten a pink one.

Nintaiyo said:
Can someone post a pic of a "yellowed" white DS? I'd like to see this for myself before getting one.

Don't worry about it. The problem can be fixed with Magic Eraser or concentrated alcohol swabs. It worked wonders for me.

Top Bottom