• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Top 10 vaporware List: Graveyard of unborn games.

sphinx

the piano man
Hi everyone.

I have recently remembered games that were announced long, long ago and that haven't had an update since like forever.

You and me, we both know many of the games I am going to present in this list are all but " in progress ", most games here were either officially cancelled or quietly canned ( both meaning more or less the same, anyway ).

I have tried my best to avoid sarcastic, ironic BS ( "no new ffxiii footage = vaporware" Lol ) so as to make this thread Click worthy. Even so, if I failed to get the newer pieces of info about some games that state they are indeed in actual, real production process, just tell me and I'll remove said games ASAP.

The list is in no specific order and people reading this thread are kindly asked to share opinions about these forgotten games but most importantly, which game would you love to see get back to life? If you could make one of them get back in production, which one would it be?

Here it goes

A.- BOB ROSS PAINTING (working title) for Wi, DS and PCi

2644.jpg

STORY: Little was known about the games except that they were scheduled to be developed by AGFRAG Entertainment Group, a small studio largely concentrating on PC flash games. On the Bob Ross Game Yahoo Group, which the developers used to keep gamers up to date on the project, the following message was posted:

"AGFRAG is no longer involved in the development of ANY Bob Ross Game. Please contact Bob Ross Inc. for further information. Thank You." (emphasis in original.)

B.- GRAN TURISMO 4 MOBILE for PSP

gran_turismo_4_psp_jp.jpg

STORY: According to Gamespot, this game was announced around the first half of May 2004, meaning 3 years ago. The last proof of this game's existance was a video and 1 image released in september 2004. After that, the game has been in a sequence of delays through out the years. No media since 2004? the message is pretty clear.

C.- BATEN KAITOS for DS

BatenKaitosDS-CaithFake.jpg

STORY: In december 2004, near the DS' launch we got news that Namco was bringing Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos to the popular handheld. Xenosaga did arrive. Baten Kaitos for DS just died away. We got word that the game was finished, either physically or conceptually and that they were looking for a publisher... seeing how the gamecube franchise failed miserably in worldwide sales, I doubt any publisher will get anywhere near another iteration of this franchise... pity.

D.- GOLDEN AXE for PS3/360

933096_20060510_screen001.jpg

STORY: This game was announced for the HD console in May 10 2006 at E3. Actually not very long ago. However, the silence since then has been eerie. With only 2 screens that may actually not reflect the actual game if it ever comes out, this game's name and the word "vaporware" are perfect synonyms. wtf, SEGA? WTF???

E.- A BOY AND HIS BLOB for DS

g24337jgadk.jpg

STORY: Even if the NES original had " crap" written all over it, the game had charm and fantasy. The very few screens we ever got for this game looked amazing ( really ) . The developer in charge of this game was Skyworks and majesco was going to be the publisher and the game was announced in June 2005. The facts sheet had very interesting ideas for the game. The game was at some point officially cancelled

F.- AFRIKA for PS3

3.jpg

STORY: Rhino studios is(was) in charge of this game. We hardly knew anything about it besides the fact that it looked spectacular. Announced at E3 2006 Novemeber 2006, which in all fairness wasn't that long ago, was the last time we got screens from this game. I really looked for info about this but there is absolutely nothing recent about it. The interesting thing is that in this article, gamespot says the game was 30% complete in Nov 2006. Sony themselves said the game was a 2007 title. There is still hope for this game but so far, it seems it is about to jump in the vaporware train.

G.- DEVIL MAY CRY for PSP

DMC3-1.jpeg

STORY: Yes, I went there... but only after careful inspection of info at IGN and Gamespot, sites with the most reliable info. So, we knew for the first time of this game's existence when it was announced that capcom will be showing this game at TGS 2004. Later in june 2005, gamespot is deceived again and they even believed " we could have DMC before 2006 ". Since then: utter and mortifying silence. Straight to the facts: Unless I am missing some piece of recent info or media, this game is total vaporware. Shame on you Capcom!!

:(

H.- PROJECT H.A.M.M.E.R. for Wii

933001_75559.jpg

STORY: Unlike Disaster: day of crisis which was reported last April to be in production by Monolith Software. PH disappeared from the face of the earth as soon as E3 2006 ended. The thing is the game was even PLAYABLE! there was a booth there. I think we might get to see something at E3 2007 but since the silence about it has been ABSOLUTE, I think it's time we consider this game vaporware. I give them til july to speak a freaking word about this game, otherwise the message will be very clear.

(believe)

I.- THE CITY OF METRONOME for XBOX360

360_Metronome.jpg

STORY: I am not very sure about the vaporware status of this game but the first time we heard about it was, june 2005 maybe even sooner. Gamespot has an article that swedich developer team tarsier was hard working on the game. It had a cool strange premise and interesting art style according to the pics. On one side, the latest screens we have from this game are from January 2007, not very long ago, but on the other side, the official site for this game is broken and the fact that there is not a single piece of news after 2005, makes me think the game is more a wish than a fact.

I.- MAKAI WARS for PS3/PSP

makai-wars-20050916022223286.jpg

STORY: The PS3 game was announced at TGS, september 2005. Short story short: Nothing, absolutely nothing has been heard or seen about this game. According to Ign's latest update, the game was supposed to be for PSP but that game was scrapped and moved to PS3 where it found its sudden .... nevermind. Anyway, I am not sure if this game was supposed to have a US release at all. Anyway, seeing how many here like developer Nippon Ichi, I thought it might be good to put it here.

THE END

So what do you think? What's your Nr.1 missed game? what games would have been cool to have tried or seen in action?

In before massive Duke Nukem bitchfest.

I would also like to ask where my promised downloadable-tracks version of Amplitude is.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
I'm pretty sure you mean vapourware.

Still, good list. I'd suggest adding Cave Story PSP by Variant and NIBRIS' Raid Over the River and Sadness, but I don't really want to play any of them, and I don't really believe they were actually in production to begin with.

sphinx

the piano man
alistairw said:
I'm pretty sure you mean vapourware.

Still, good list. I'd suggest adding Cave Story PSP by Variant and NIBRIS' Raid Over the River and Sadness, but I don't really want to play any of them, and I don't really believe they were actually in production to begin with.

yeah, just fixed as much as I could.

anyway, I thought vaporware was about games that were never in progress, that were just a wish from people.

Kid Icarus for Wii is Vaporware, for example.

However, Nintedo had a Booth for Project Hammer. Asuming we never get to see anything else from that game, how would you call it? it wasn't vapourware, it really existed. They just never finished it.

noizbot

My vote for vaporware would be Dead Phoenix, last of the famed Capcom Five. It was supposed to hit the GC along with Viewtiful Joe, RE4, PN03 and Killer 7. It had a sort of Panzer Dragoon/Lair thing going on, from what little media was released.

Dead Phoenix
DeadPhoenixScreenShotIGN01.jpg

DeadPhoenixScreenShotIGN06.jpg

Yoboman

I don't understand your reasoning for Afrika being up there. Because we haven't seen it since TGS 06? That's stupid

I'm almost positive Makai Wars became Makai Kingdom and moved to the PS2.

The game is set up perfectly for a portable, lacks backgrounds, sprite work is worse than any of N1's previous games, incomplete story, and only showed up long after Makai Wars was supposedly canceled. N1 probably saw that the userbase wasn't growing to their satisfaction and the PS2 was a much safer bet.

Makai Wars also showed up on a PS3 list and, when I asked NISA reps about it, they just shrugged and said they had no idea what Sony was talking about. Makai Wars, as a title, does not exist anymore.

sphinx

the piano man
Yoboman said:
I don't understand your reasoning for Afrika being up there. Because we haven't seen it since TGS 06? That's stupid

what is the gameplay like? How does it control? what's the genre? what is the game about?

a whole year since its announcement and none of these questions answered. I can already start thinking something's fishy, can't I?

JDSN said:
Eh, Hammer was shown in September along with Disaster.

can you please tell me what was shown or said about PH? Thanks.

alistairw

sphinx said:
anyway, I thought vaporware was about games that were never in progress, that were just a wish from people.

Kid Icarus for Wii is Vaporware, for example.

No, vapourware is software that has been announced and supposed developed to some degree, but never actually materialises. Kid Icarus isn't vapourware because Nintendo have never said anything about even wanting to develop it.

Makai wars could very well still come out unless i missed an announcement that it was canceled.. thus just making it a canceled game. same with true fantasy.. the game i bought my XBOX for.

vaporware is games that never were officially canceled but figuratively "Vapor" as they disappeared without a trace or word

oh and if project hammer goes on there, so does day of disaster imo

Grayman

Darkfall online :(
The non pussy mmo. Probably will never come out, if it does it'll probably be really broken.

Out of the list GT:m is the one I wanted the most. It would have bad control compared to a console version but it would be great for learning tracks and brake zones.

sphinx

the piano man
The S-Word said:
oh and if project hammer goes on there, so does day of disaster imo

Gamespot article

GAMESPOT ARTICLE from April 27 said:
Namco Bandai is considering the sale as a way to strengthen its relationship with Nintendo and is not entirely ending its involvement with Monolith Soft. Namco Bandai will retain 16 percent of the developer's shares and will continue to count the studio among its partners. Best known as the developer behind Namco Bandai's Baten Kaitos and Xenosaga series of role-playing games, Monolith Soft is also currently at work on Nintendo's Disaster: Day of Crisis for the Wii.

look at the date. It is barely a month ago.

Show me worthy updates from Project Hammer and I'll take it from the list.

Nemesis_

A Black Falcon said:
Thrill Kill
Thrill Kill pretty much got released and leaked all over the internet, while it was legitimately rehashed into a WuTang Clan game >_>

But yeah, I loved Thrill Kill....but it was too edgy for it's time me reckons.

etiolate

Banned
Metronome looked and sounded like a neat game. I remember there was like a year of no news, then it surfaced again, never to reappear. I think the game used sounds and music as part of it's gameplay.

metronome-20050407052103347.jpg

metronome-20050407052105941.jpg

metronome-20050407052114222.jpg

The_Dude

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm almost positive Makai Wars became Makai Kingdom and moved to the PS2.
Makai Kingdom was released in Japan and America before Makai Wars was even announced, though.

ShockingAlberto said:
Also, before IGA retconned the damn story, I was really looking forward to this.

unreleasedcastlevaniareas1.jpg

Castlevania Dreamcast starring Sonia Belmont.
It's weird to think that was one of the most beautiful games I'd ever seen at that point!

sphinx said:
Gamespot article

look at the date. It is barely a month ago.

Show me worthy updates from Project Hammer and I'll take it from the list.

no no no no... i'm not defending Project Hammer at all :lol . That wasn't really a worthy update...That "article" is as good as just a name showing up on a list..which they both do. Until they show me something else footage or pictures-wise i'm going to think it's vaporware too.

The_Dude said:
Makai Kingdom was released in Japan and America before Makai Wars was even announced, though.
Nope.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/515/515780p1.html

Whatever is the case there, it already looks to be the case that the American arm will follow suit again when the PSP rolls around, because Nippon Ichi has a new game for the handheld system. Titled Makai Wars, the game will be self-published by Nippon Ichi Software America (with Atlus stepping in as distributor to get the game out wide for the small American arm.) As is hoped for by the many fans of the publishers' most acclaimed titles, Makai Wars is a tactical strategy game that, as confirmed by the publishing house itself, will have characters, design and gameplay very similar to Disgaea, La Pucelle: Tactics and Phantom Brave.

In May 14th, 2004.

Makai Kingdom, first known as Phantom Kingdom, was announced four months later with nothing shown until sometime in 2005, where it was renamed Makai Kingdom.

I'd be willing to accept that the two games became one, but Makai Kingdom almost certainly absorbed whatever was already done with Makai Wars.

I think Baten Kaitos DS will get resurrected. Nintendo are the only bunch of people who have faith in the franchise, and they now own one-half or more of the BK team. It'll happen, it might take time though.

Project HAMMER and Afrika will probably pop up at E3.

I'd really love to have seen Gofuku (Brownie Brown's GC RPG) and Dead Phoenix happen.

Whatever happened to Camelot's Gamecube RPG? It was announced and then sort of...never talked about. I imagine it's gone and dead now, but I remember being hyped, thinking it would finally be a GC Golden Sun.

DrXym

Psyclapse and Bandersnatch are the granddaddies of all vapourware games. Both were promoted with massive advertising campaigns on the ZX Spectrum & C64 and neither appeared.

ShockingAlberto said:
Whatever happened to Camelot's Gamecube RPG? It was announced and then sort of...never talked about. I imagine it's gone and dead now, but I remember being hyped, thinking it would finally be a GC Golden Sun.
They parted ways with Nintendo a while ago... I remember when I told my brother that he was crushed because he loved the GS titles.

alistairw

OatmealMu said:
What was that PS3 game that Sega showed? You controlled a ghost... or something.

Sonic?

cause it's a dead franchise, geddit?

Kaworu

Baten Kaitos DS become Baten Kaitos Origins, that was confirmed long ago.

Edit: SEGA FPS Fifth Phantom Saga

Kabouter

travisbickle said:
What about that game with the woman crying, it was for the PS3?
Heavy Rain, it's also on PC and Xbox 360 and by no means vapourware. It's just a long way off. It'll come out late 2008 at the earliest.

bjork said:
TRUE FANTASY LIVE ONLINE.
True Fantasy Online for DC was first :)

Lamborghini for DC also, it even had a demo and was going to be the first dreamcast racer to go online but it never got a publisher, sucks because the demo was pretty good to play.

I remmember being hyped for D2 when it was announced on the Pannasonic M2 - then the M2 went tits up and despite the game was almost finished it was scrapped and totaly re-worked for the Dreamcast release, plot and all - the original plotline sounded much more intriguing;

"D2 had originally started life as a game project for the never-released Panasonic M2 console. Originally, a pregnant Laura was to have died in the opening credits (during a terrorist attack on a plane), but her unborn child would be "warped" back in time. The player would have taken the role of Laura's son - now a teenager - trapped in a large, European castle, from which he had to escape while being assaulted by supernatural phenomena. The game was practically finished when Panasonic officially announced that the M2 was not going to be released, leaving WARP with no way to sell the title. When given the chance to put out D2 for other systems, Kenji Eno decided to abandon the entire original project and start over from scratch with a new setting."

Top Bottom