• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Apple WWDC 2007 Thread

yayaba

wwdc.JPG

(banner cropped from RoughlyDrafted.com)

WWDC 2007

So, for all the Apple fans (and stock holders), Monday is the day we've been waiting for. Steve Jobs will kickoff the conference with his usual keynote at 10am PST at the Moscone Center in San Francisco.

Keynote

* When - The keynote will be on Monday, June 11th at 10am PST
* Live Stream - Unfortunately, Apple hasn't been doing live streams of keynotes the past few years. They usually put up the video of the conference a few hours later though.
* Live Feeds -

Macrumors usually does pretty well with the live updates. Their live feed of the keynote will be here.

Engadget has a live feed as well. Their's will be here.

Expected Topics

* Full disclosure of the feature complete version of Leopard. This includes finally announcing the "secret features" that he withheld last WWDC and delivering a feature complete beta copy of Leopard to all in attendence.
* Additional iPhone announcements. To what degree is unknown although you can expect to hear mention of the final tidbits about the phone that have been kept secret. A developer's SDK may also be announced as well which would be a boon to third party developers interested in developing for the iPhone.
* Reiterating YouTube on AppleTV (and maybe other things about it too)
* More talk about how well the iPod is selling (not news but you know he's going to brag)

Rumor Mill
* New iMac in a striking form factor (Source)
* An expected announcement of upgraded iWork and iLife suites
* A replacement of the Mac Mini line (Source)

Time to speculate! I'll try to add more info as I come across it.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I've been waiting on a new iMac for a long time, but I don't think they'll launch it at a developers conference. I just got a Mac Mini for under the TV yesterday, I'm not bothered if they drop it.

yayaba

Jill Sandwich said:
I've been waiting on a new iMac for a long time, but I don't think they'll launch it at a developers conference. I just got a Mac Mini for under the TV yesterday, I'm not bothered if they drop it.

I like the idea of the Mac Mini but unfortunately, Apple doesn't seem to pay it much attention.

It's probably not one of their best sellers anyway which is probably why they focus more on their laptops.

In either case, I don't think they would outright announce that "hey, we're dropping the Mac Mini now, it's been a great ride". They would either replace it or just axe it completely without saying anything.

Stench

Banned
My wishlist contains only one item:

Updated Cinema Displays.

But I'll only bite if Apple gets with the times and includes basic features that have been provided by their competitors for years now, such as more than one DVI input, or a built-in settings menu that provides customizable video options like 1:1 scaling... you know, things that virtually EVERY OTHER FRICKIN' LCD ON THE PLANET HAS.

I'm willing to pay premium bucks for an Apple logo here, Jobs! Don't let me down!

Memles

So no chance for any new iPods? My Mini is showing fewer signs of life each day, and a beefed up Nano (12 would do) is on my radar. Or will I be waiting until September?

Ryck

Im hoping for a new Mac Tower ( not the pro ) in the $999-$1499 range.....( prolly not gonna happen)

Memles said:
So no chance for any new iPods? My Mini is showing fewer signs of life each day, and a beefed up Nano (12 would do) is on my radar. Or will I be waiting until September?

I'd say no chance. Not with the iPhone launch so close. It'll be Fall I'd say before we see new iPods.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Holy shit- looks like we're in for quite a visual treat with Leopard:

http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2007/06/core_anim

Kiss Boring Interfaces Goodbye With Apple's New Animated OS
Scott Gilbertson Email Leander Kahney Email 06.08.07 | 2:00 AM

Disco is software for burning disks that illustrates a new approach to interfaces: It smokes while it burns. If you blow into your computer's microphone, the smoke blows across your desktop.

When Steve Jobs takes the stage Monday at Apple's programmers conference, he's likely to give the world a glimpse of an upgraded Mac operating system that could herald the biggest changes to the machine's interface in 30 years.

At the annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, Jobs will probably show off Leopard, a Mac OS X update due in October that he has promised contains "top secret" features. But perhaps the most important feature is one that has been overlooked by many Apple fans: a new set of tools for building program interfaces called Core Animation.

(Editor's note: See our Leopard preview story, "Apple to Show Off Leopard's Claws at WWDC.")

Core Animation will allow programmers to give their applications flashy, animated interfaces. Some developers think Core Animation is so important, it will usher in the biggest changes to computer interfaces since the original Mac shipped three decades ago.

"The revolution coming with Core Animation is akin to the one that came from the original Mac in 1984," says Wil Shipley, developer of the personal media-cataloging application Delicious Library. "We're going to see a whole new world of user-interface metaphors with Core Animation."

Shipley predicts that Core Animation will kick-start a new era of interface experimentation, and may lead to an entirely new visual language for designing desktop interfaces. The traditional desktop may become a multilayered three-dimensional environment where windows flip around or zoom in and out. Double-clicks and keystrokes could give way to mouse gestures and other forms of complex user input.

The Core Animation "revolution" is already starting to happen. Apple's iPhone at the end of the month will see people using their fingers to flip through media libraries, and pinching their fingers together to resize photos.

The "Delicious generation" is a breed of young developers who embrace interface experimentation and brash marketing. The term "Delicious generation" was meant as an insult, but they wear it as a badge of honor.
Image: Adam Betts

Shipley's initial release of Delicious Library, with its glossy, highly refined interface, gave birth to a new breed of developers dubbed the "Delicious generation." For these Mac developers, interface experimentation is one of the big appeals of programming.

Applications like AppZapper have taken traditional tasks (deleting application files) and added a fun layer of animation to the mix -- this isn't your father's rm command. Disco is a disc-burning program that features smoke animation that reacts to sound -- blow into the mike, and the smoke blows away.

But creating animations like those in AppZapper or Disco is presently a complex and difficult task.

Leopard's Core Animation will change that, giving the next generation of developers a set of tools that will allow them to easily create new, nonstandard, interactive interfaces.

Some Mac developers are so excited by Core Animation they are going to drop support for previous versions of their software, which won’t display their new interfaces on older versions of OS X.

"Our customers are going to have to upgrade their OS if they want to upgrade our program," Shipley says. "We realized any app we released based on Tiger (the current version of OS X) was going to look really pathetic when Leopard came out."

After getting a peek at Delicious Library 2, which hasn’t yet been shown publicly, Mac programmer Scott Stevenson wrote that the program is "going to be a major eye-opener for Mac developers. This last point is important. Whatever you thought was state-of-the-art in Tiger is going to be blown to bits with all of the new API (application programming interface) available in Leopard."

Allan Odgaard, the developer of TextMate, says the next version of the text editor will only work on Leopard. 

Because of Apple's nondisclosure agreements, most of the Mac developers approached by Wired News declined to discuss Core Animation or any interface changes they might be planning. None would provide screenshots.

The shift toward nonstandard interfaces isn't necessarily new. Kai's Power Tools, a set of plug-ins for Adobe Systems' Photoshop, featured what was at the time a revolutionary interface for editing image files. But the developer, Kai Kruse, was too far ahead of his time -- the majority of Mac users disliked the novel interface, which broke with conventions and ignored Apple's Human Interface Guidelines, or HIG.

The HIG is a set of rules published by Apple to ensure consistency across different applications. It's become the bible of Mac programmers.

However, with the growing popularity of "widgets" -- mini, task-specific applications for checking sports scores or finding cheap gas -- users are starting to accept novel interfaces. And they often expect the sort of highly graphical interaction that Apple's new Core Animation enables.

With the snoozefest that was and is Vista (where the hell are all the flashy apps that were previewed before the OS came out) I seriously am excited about what Leopard can potentially bring to the table.

yayaba

Yeah, Core Animation sounds awesome. I want to see what Apple's come up with since last year.

This is going to be great.

Sanjuro

I have a Mac Mini right now. :(

Maybe something will rock my socks, but its honestly one of the best desktops you can own when going for the silent / non-gaming computer.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
rezuth said:
Wow! Stuff that has been in Vista for the last 3 years!

As a user of Vista since release, all I have to say is :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You're a troll, and a tool. Or maybe you're getting confused with Tiger, which has been out 3 years or so. In any case, I have yet top use a single Vista app that comes anywhere close to those previewed as an example of what the OS can do- and yet to see a vista app that can be considered visually impressive.

ckohler

Goodcow should be happy. They're actually going to talk about Leopard. :D

Wanna know how big a fanboy I am? I took Monday off for this. :lol

Sullichin said:
Oh man, I can't wait. Hopefully Leopard has a revamped GUI. either way, i'll probably be happy :p

I want it to be revamped in a sense...but don't pull a Vista and overload on eye candy or some crap (not that Apple would ever do this...though Time Machine looked kinda...sappy).

xabre

Banned
.dmc said:
That article gave me serious wood. Part of the impressivenness of the iPhone interface was how smooth everything is, if they can translate that into the main OS X experience.. god.. I could die. Can't wait until Monday.. <3

That's why I want a multi-touch mac product from apple. Sort of like an iMac with just the screen. I've never bought an apple computer before but I'd buy one for that.

yayaba

ckohler said:
Wanna know how big a fanboy I am? I took Monday off for this. :lol

lol... there's no live keynote unfortunately. Good thing too... otherwise I'd probably be incredibly distracted at work.

Then again, I'll probably be distracted either way. My productivity Monday is gonna be shit.

mollipen

I keep telling myself not to get too excited, because the overly-hyped keynotes are always the ones that end up being the most disappointing. However, I just can't help but think we're going to see something awesome in regards to 10.5, and if we do get a sweet new interface for OSX (which it really needs), it's going to be jawsome.

What I don't like is the confliction of keynote day, though. Read up on what's announced as it is, or have the strength to avoid spoilers all day and then watch the keynote with virgin eyes? Always such a tough choice.

Sanjuro

irfan said:
.Mac needs to die. When I made the switch and I was checking out all the new apps and layout I went to go set up my .Mac account. Once I relized it was a trial and that they wanted me to spend $ for that......was the first and only shitty thing I can say about my Mac experience however its one that doesn't affect me its just the principal of it.

Apple needs to start making full partnerships. While Gmail fully replacing .Mac is a long shot, the time is now to start making alliances with mediums that people are using everyday. The time is now.

Phoenix

Slurpy said:
Holy shit- looks like we're in for quite a visual treat with Leopard:

http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2007/06/core_anim

With the snoozefest that was and is Vista (where the hell are all the flashy apps that were previewed before the OS came out) I seriously am excited about what Leopard can potentially bring to the table.

Some applications are already taking advantage of many API components available even on 10.4 to do very cool things. Anyone interested in things that cannot be formally discussed should take a look at Panic's Coda - I mean actually use it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
This will be sweet. Plus with that Sun guy saying Apple's using ZFS as a mainstay, too... Pretty good time for me to have made the switch, I'd say.

Phoenix

rezuth said:
Wow! Stuff that has been in Vista for the last 3 years!

Oh please. Beryl is more impressive than the visual effects that is present on Vista and accomplishes everything with a fraction of the hardware.

Juice

Apple really ought to just partner with Google for all web apps in .Mac.

As for stuff like Photocasting, they should pull their heads out of their asses and realize that it was silly to demand a $99/yr subscription for a desktop app feature like that in the first place.

ckohler

yayaba said:
lol... there's no live keynote unfortunately. Good thing too... otherwise I'd probably be incredibly distracted at work. Then again, I'll probably be distracted either way. My productivity Monday is gonna be shit.
It may not be live video but it'll be live via real-time text/photo updates and this thread will be very busy during it.

Juice

ckohler said:
It may not be live video but it'll be live via real-time text/photo updates and this thread will be very busy during it.

I added myself to the MacRumors no spoiler e-mail list, so i'll just get an e-mail with the timeshifted video stream once it's up. I'd rather just sit down and watch any announcements than read the text the instant it comes through.

.dmc

Banned
xabre said:
That's why I want a multi-touch mac product from apple. Sort of like an iMac with just the screen. I've never bought an apple computer before but I'd buy one for that.
Even gesturing with a touchpad on the Macbook/Pro would be huge. Two finger scrolling was a simple revelation of itself, if we could start 'throwing' the page scroll like with the iPhone interface or like we already can w/ Coverflow it'd be brilliant. I'd been completely cool on Leopard so far, but if they really are giving the interface a significant overhaul, I'll have my preorder in on Monday afternoon.

yayaba

Only qualm I have with that is if they incorprate support for that in Leopard, I can't do that on my current hardware. Hell, if they really implemented it, everyone would need new hardware to get it to work.

It would be very cool though and definitely a step in the right direction.

Ultimately, I'd like it more in a slanted table format where you're sitting down and the entire desk in front of you is the computer. It's slanted as well so you don't have to bend over it. Kind of like the computer in the movie "The Island".

Burger

.dmc said:
Even gesturing with a touchpad on the Macbook/Pro would be huge. Two finger scrolling was a simple revelation of itself, if we could start 'throwing' the page scroll like with the iPhone interface or like we already can w/ Coverflow it'd be brilliant. I'd been completely cool on Leopard so far, but if they really are giving the interface a significant overhaul, I'll have my preorder in on Monday afternoon.

You can do it with your mouse while you wait.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1250

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The fact Apple pushed out the MacBook Pro updates before WWDC makes me think there's atleast one interesting bit of new hardware coming on Tuesday - probably the iMac.

The 'secret' features of Leopard have me most exited - I'd be very surprised if a new GUI isn't one of them. Maybe multi-touch being implemented on system-wide level as well, as well as the iPhone. And an iPhone SDK for 3rd party widgets seems very likely too.

Top of my wishlist would be the subnotebook, or a replacement for the 12" PowerBook. That's still the gap in Apple's line-up for me.

Roll on Tuesday!

Futureman

I think the biggest news for 10.5 is the new file system you will be able to use, Sun's ZFS. I don't know if what I've been reading is hyperbole, but it sounds pretty amazing some of the stuff it can do.

These are some quotes from the people on OSnews.com:

no file size limit, same access to a small directory as to the largest directory you can even imagine, practically infinite number of metadata to attach to a file for searching capabilities and organization, no data corruption (recovery and repair on the fly), faster access to the data (time not dependent on the amount of files, data you have on disk), fastest operations for the OS and for user space by using an intelligent cache method instead of traditional virtual memory (begone the pre-binding or pre-fetching tricks), no spinning wheels ever.

Actually, ZFS providing a much more optimized I/O and disk operation the battery life time should actually improve quite significantly.

Among them better data integrity in cases like power outages in the middle of writing to the disk. Fast and effective snapshots of partitions allowing rolling back your disk to a previous state (hint hint Time Machine). Also some very nice handling of things like striping a partition across several disks, so that when you add a new disk to your machine you can expand your existing partition onto it.

All this with a possible visual overhaul... I think they could call it OS XI.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Futureman said:
I think the biggest news for 10.5 is the new file system you will be able to use, Sun's ZFS. I don't know if what I've been reading is hyperbole, but it sounds pretty amazing some of the stuff it can do.

These are some quotes from the people on OSnews.com:

All this with a possible visual overhaul... I think they could call it OS XI.

Yeah, ZFS sounds great. And could make Time Machine worth the hype.

Also the ability to pool storage space will be a very nice change. If you have a 120GB drive as standard, instead of mounting a 200GB external drive as a separate volume you can tell it to pool the storage and the OS treat it as a single 320GB drive.

Top Bottom