• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Apple WWDC 2007 Thread

Phoenix said:
The Finder is being replaced - mark those words. The current Finder is atrocious, but a marked step up from where it was when OSX first started. On 10.4 I would sooner stab out my own eyes than try to manage network shares via the finder. Heaven forbid they aren't Samba based...

Tell us more Phoenix, NDAs be damned!

Captain N

I'm going to be getting a mac at the end of this month or sometime in July..I guess it's a good time to get one. Now I can wait and see when the best time will be to get one. Leopard sounds awesome! I might have to wait and get one.

I asked this in another thread, but can someone answer it here? I want a good HD Video Capture card. Something with HDMI..I really do want 1080p. Do I need a PC for something like that or can I get it on a MAC too?

Terrell

Phoenix said:
AIM and MSN protocols are the most used because they were the first available and they didn't suck. Google leverages the Jabber protocol and the Jabber protocol XMPP while cool is limited in a number of areas - especially as it relates to guaranteed functionality on the servers. While there are XMPP bridges to MSN, AIM, YIM, etc. by and large they suck and miss critical functionality outside of being able to just send text chats. If Google really wants to innovate in this area, they need to push that server product into the Google Summer of Code and stop bullshitting around. Until then, AIM and MSN will be superior clients because they are sitting atop superior protocol implementations.
I dunno, I've never had a problem connecting and maintaining a Google Talk connection, but AIM and MSN servers crap out at least once a day on me... so tell me how it's a superior protocol when I can't maintain a steady connection with it, whether I'm using 1st or 3rd-party client software. I mean, yeah, GTalk is missing certain features by comparison, but it's in BETA still, that's to be expected. I want a server and protocol that doesn't fall apart when you breathe on it wrong.

Phoenix

Captain N said:
I'm going to be getting a mac at the end of this month or sometime in July..I guess it's a good time to get one. Now I can wait and see when the best time will be to get one. Leopard sounds awesome! I might have to wait and get one.

I asked this in another thread, but can someone answer it here? I want a good HD Video Capture card. Something with HDMI..I really do want 1080p. Do I need a PC for something like that or can I get it on a MAC too?

Depends on where you live and what your source will be. HD video capture is pretty shitty on all platforms at the moment unless you're in Europe.

Phoenix

Terrell said:
I dunno, I've never had a problem connecting and maintaining a Google Talk connection, but AIM and MSN servers crap out at least once a day on me... so tell me how it's a superior protocol when I can't maintain a steady connection with it,

That may have more to do with your local connectivity. I have never had any of the servers crap out on me regularly at all. Nevertheless you're confusing protocol with server capacity. The protocol describes what clients which use that protocol are capable of doing. AIM and MSN are much richer protocols (have a larger vocabulary) than XMPP.

whether I'm using 1st or 3rd-party client software. I mean, yeah, GTalk is missing certain features by comparison, but it's in BETA still, that's to be expected. I want a server and protocol that doesn't fall apart when you breathe on it wrong.

GTalk is nothing more than Jabber XMPP servers hosted at Google - not a feature more.

Terrell

Phoenix said:
That may have more to do with your local connectivity. I have never had any of the servers crap out on me regularly at all. Nevertheless you're confusing protocol with server capacity. The protocol describes what clients which use that protocol are capable of doing. AIM and MSN are much richer protocols (have a larger vocabulary) than XMPP.

GTalk is nothing more than Jabber XMPP servers hosted at Google - not a feature more.
Well, like I said, considering it's in beta and more features keep being added to it, GTalk has the capacity to have just as rich of a feature set as MSN and Yahoo... how it gets there is largely irrelevant to me. And one could argue that MSN's protocols are too proprietary to make claims as to their richness... having to use the utterly BROKEN aMSN just to do webcam on a Mac using the MSN protocol is NOT an ideal situation. And as I said, I get communication errors with MSN and AIM all the time... and despite your assertation to the contrary, it occurs on multiple computers with different internet connection methods, the device and software used to interact with the protocols is largely irrelevant.

Simply put, I want iChat to work as smoothly as the rest of my Mac, and AIM servers and protocols are preventing that in my experience.

Now that the thread has been derailed with a simple commentary on .Mac and iChat being borked.... I'm really kinda hoping for the use of Illuminous in 10.5. Aqua is getting a bit rough around the edges after so many years.

You know, when I was at CompUSA the other day looking at the iMacs, I was thinkng, "The only thing that could make these better would be if you could tilt them back and draw on the screen."

If they introduce some kind of multi-point touch screen iMac or anything like that I will seriously blow a load. I love my Acer to death but it's three years old and falling apart, and I've been waiting FOREVER for Apple to introduce some kind of tablet. I will sell drugs to children in order to buy a touch-screened product from them.

WordAssassin said:
You know, when I was at CompUSA the other day looking at the iMacs, I was thinkng, "The only thing that could make these better would be if you could tilt them back and draw on the screen."

If they introduce some kind of multi-point touch screen iMac or anything like that I will seriously blow a load. I love my Acer to death but it's three years old and falling apart, and I've been waiting FOREVER for Apple to introduce some kind of tablet. I will sell drugs to children in order to buy a touch-screened product from them.

If this type of thing came out, I could justify a purchase. My wife would go nuts, I think.

djkimothy

imastalker co. said:
this suspense is ****in killing me. im gonna buy more shares, and i suggest everyone do the same if they can.

watch it climb!!!

It's going to go down! Don't buy, keep waiting. ;)

woxel1

Oh My God, I couldn't sleep last night because of the anticipation. I think I'll go over and collect my badge right now. Enjoy the show, everyone!

xabre

Banned
xabre wants multitouch iMac

Futureman

There really haven't been many strong rumors for WWDC this year. Unless you are really excited for Leopard (which I am), I think you will be let down by the keynote.

Geoff9920

Phoenix said:
The Finder is being replaced - mark those words. The current Finder is atrocious, but a marked step up from where it was when OSX first started. On 10.4 I would sooner stab out my own eyes than try to manage network shares via the finder. Heaven forbid they aren't Samba based...
Man I hope you're right. It bugs me that I even have to consider 3rd party solutions to get a decent finder. :-\

The announcements better not be too interesting, because I just sold off all my macs. If there's interesting new hardware, though, I might have to whip out the CC... choices, choices

mollipen

I gotta be strong and wait for the keynote video. I gotta be strong and wait for the keynote video. I gotta... seriously Steve, f**k you for killing the live keynote feeds. I gotta be strong and wait for the keynote video.

shidoshi said:
I gotta be strong and wait for the keynote video. I gotta be strong and wait for the keynote video. I gotta... seriously Steve, f**k you for killing the live keynote feeds. I gotta be strong and wait for the keynote video.

The became so popular though, that bandwidth was as much of an issue as anything else.

yayaba

Kung Fu Jedi said:
The became so popular though, that bandwidth was as much of an issue as anything else.

Even when they put up the keynote the servers are so agonizingly slow that I usually can't watch it until 9-10pm.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
it's gonna start soon.

time to avoid the internet.

is Jobs still scheduled for a 3 hour long keynote? if so, how long til it's up on Apple.com or youtube? an hour or two after it's done?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I think the Leopard delay had nothing to do with iPhone, but instead because they wanted a fit and finish on it that will really leave Vista trailing it. I guess we are about to find out.

imastalker co. said:
it's gonna start soon.

is Jobs still scheduled for a 3 hour long keynote? if so, how long til it's up on Apple.com or youtube? an hour or two after it's done?

I think I read on Engadget that it's an hour and a half. We'll see I guess.

djkimothy

imastalker co. said:
it's gonna start soon.

I thought that was a mistake. It was only for an hour.

dsc_5183.jpg

djkimothy

infiniteloop said:

10:02AM - Lights are going down. People are shouting "Steve!" It's a Mac / PC ad... John Hodman comes out. "Hello everyone, I'm Steve Jobs." Laughs. "I've got some big news this year, I want the whole world to hear it. I quit. Yes, that's right, I'm resigning effective immediately, and shutting down all of Apple." Huge laughs.

10:03am - "I didn't have a choice, Vista is performing so well -- it sold tens of dozens of copies. Leopard was going to get lost in all that Wow. And I've got my iPod killer -- a brown Zune. It's time for Apple to wave the white flag. Don't shed tears, just take those big brains out of the Mascarpone center..."

:lol

IT"S STARTING PEOPLE!!!! :eek:

Top Bottom