• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge article on fighting games before street fighter 2 happened

well you know Halo Street Fighter 2 did exactly shit to the shooter fighter genre in terms of conventions, zero, zilch, nada.

(not a serious post!)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Only on a weekend could I sit down and read all 8 or so pages of that. :)

I've always loved that website, btw.

Pit Fighter was awesome.. in a hilariously bad/cheesy way. "Come on punk!", guy spitting on you after he knocks you down, bashing guys with crates/boxes and the weird looking animation, or how when you tossed people it would look so awkward/wrong. I swear the final boss guy said in his cut scenes "get.. raped".

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
cjelly said:
The Lynx port is just... urgh.

Can you imagine the rubbish they stuck on the back of the box 'The arcade in your hand... in greyscale!' :lol

The Lynx was.... colour

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why does the article take the tone that fighting games had 'something good' before SFII ruined it?

I agree that all fighting games today are essentially SFII clones, following a narrow and technical formula.... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The alternative was... well... too simple to be any fun.

BocoDragon said:
Why does the article take the tone that fighting games had 'something good' before SFII ruined it?

I agree that all fighting games today are essentially SFII clones, following a narrow and technical formula.... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The alternative was... well... too simple to be any fun.
Even SNK fighters sucked before SFII changed everything. But there were some good fighters like IK+ and Bodukan.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Awesome article. I haven't been to classicgaming in ages, but it actually got me back into gaming after I skipped out on the 32-bit gen; love the detail the article goes into.

Also, Pit Fighter doesn't get nearly enough credit for all the influence it had on fighting games and the industry in general, inarguably more than Street Fighter now that it's all said and done. Remains one of the most underappreciated "pantheon" games of all time. Of course, good luck getting that point across to GA's Japanophile audience.

220px-Pit-Fighter_Title.jpg

Respect.

shuri

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Even SNK fighters sucked before SFII changed everything. But there were some good fighters like IK+ and Bodukan.
I'll be real honest here, but I think than for other than FF2 and the samurai showdown games, SNK's catalog was always super average. It's only at the end of the late '90 that the games really started popular with every fighting game fans.. why?

Well... 2d fighters were getting scarce, and people just needed something to play, and the snk games were all that was left. They got very popular until the first GG games, and SNK became 'fringe' again.

SNK is like that fat chick you call when you really need action in times of desperate needs.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Billy Rygar said:
I bought pitfighter when I was little instead of a good game. :( I'm still bitter.

:lol I understand the allure; those sprites and that violence was quite alluring back in the day. Thankfully for me I first experienced it at the arcade and wasted only a quarter on it.

AstroLad said:
These guys beg to differ.

pitfighter-16.png

You're Buzz, btw.

Hilarious. Screenshots of Pitfighter are beyond worthless, as the actual animation of said sprites is herky-jerky and laughably bad.

And Pit fighter as more influential than Street Fighter II? MADNESS:lol :lol :lol :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
BocoDragon said:

I don't think that he's claiming that SF2 ruined the genre, only that (for better or for worse), it standardized it. And since then, it's been following one basic formula, or at best, less formulae.

When the genre was in its infancy, it had a lot more variety, though admittedly, not a whole lot of that variety was of even decent quality.

Mejilan said:
I don't think that he's claiming that SF2 ruined the genre, only that (for better or for worse), it standardized it. And since then, it's been following one basic formula, or at best, less formulae.

When the genre was in its infancy, it had a lot more variety, though admittedly, not a whole lot of that variety was of even decent quality.

I dunno if I buy that. Most fighting games since the 32 bit era have been following the Tekken/Virtua Fighter/Soul Blade model, which is much, MUCH different than the fighting variant street fighter II produced.

even when 2D fighters were at their peak prior to this, there were games that followed Capcom and SNK's model (relatively traditional 2D 6 button fighters) and Games that leaned more towards the Mortal Kombat Model (Flashy Fatalities, lots of gimmicks...see games like Bloodstorm, Time Killers, Primal Rage, etc.)

fighters prior to SFII which not only standardized fighters but also popularized it (making it profitable to develop a niche fighters at all) were far more simplistic and lacking in variety.

edit: I do recall putting lots of quarters into Gladiator when I was a kid though. good times.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Dear Teasel,

Please stop posting threads where the contents are just a link with no other information. Please put in a little damn effort. Thank you.

Sincerely,
sp0rsk

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Manmademan said:
I dunno if I buy that. Most fighting games since the 32 bit era have been following the Tekken/Virtua Fighter/Soul Blade model, which is much, MUCH different than the fighting variant street fighter II produced.

It really isn't... I do agree with Mejilan.

A different style of fighting game would be Bushido Blade, Smash Bros, or Power Stone.... maybe...

One on one fighters with a guy on the left and a guy on on the right, with reversed moves when you swap sides, and life bars going out from the center? Best out of three rounds? That's SFII through and through. It doesn't matter if you have 3D movement or even different types of special moves.

At their core: SF = Virtua Fighter = Mortal Kombat.

USD

Wow, Pit Fighter looks like Mortal Kombat the Beat'em Up: Incredible Shitty Edition. Of course it came out before MK, but still, that's just ugly.

turtle553

AstroLad said:
Awesome article. I haven't been to classicgaming in ages, but it actually got me back into gaming after I skipped out on the 32-bit gen; love the detail the article goes into.

Also, Pit Fighter doesn't get nearly enough credit for all the influence it had on fighting games and the industry in general, inarguably more than Street Fighter now that it's all said and done. Remains one of the most underappreciated "pantheon" games of all time. Of course, good luck getting that point across to GA's Japanophile audience.

220px-Pit-Fighter_Title.jpg

Respect.

That was one of the first games my parents gave me when I got my Genesis. I never heard of it before but I liked it at the time. I went back and tried it again recently....Ugh.

There was a pseudo-sequel to Pit Fighter called Guardians of the Hood, it's a Final Fight ripoff with the same spazzy digitized graphics. It's even more unintentionally hilarious because there's a lot more to do.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
BocoDragon said:
It really isn't... I do agree with Mejilan.

A different style of fighting game would be Bushido Blade, Smash Bros, or Power Stone.... maybe...

One on one fighters with a guy on the left and a guy on on the right, with reversed moves when you swap sides, and life bars going out from the center? Best out of three rounds? That's SFII through and through. It doesn't matter if you have 3D movement or even different types of special moves.

At their core: SF = Virtua Fighter = Mortal Kombat.

I think, not only that, he's claiming that these conventions have been taken to an extreme. Modern fighting games only are made to appeal to the truly hardcore, with things like sophisticated combo systems, move cancelling, and counters (all in SF II, but not the focus of it and only really highlighted in high-level play).

I think his point was that SF II was really the peak of fighters, in terms of accessibility and sophistication. Before that people were putting together the basics to get to that point, and afterwards the focus on the technical aspects have overwhelmed the basic "pick-up-and-play" aspect of the genre. That's why he traces the early games in the genre, to figure out how we got to that point in the first plac.e

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Long story short.....I don't believe you, because Pit Fighter was actually kind of mind blowing....I think. You don't need good gameplay when you've got weird and cool looking graphics like in the pic with those 2 guys. Although it is not a game that I will ever "get", or something that I will ever "spend money on again" or even "think about after this thread", I realize that it is simply beyond my comprehension. There are design principles at play that are simply too advanced for my brain to absorb, providing the facade of "bad" and unintelligible gameplay. Once the human race as a whole is able to catch up, intelligence-wise, to what is going on with this game(a computer capable of doing calculations much faster than our human brains), then I must believe that it will be heralded and glorified for all eternity.

-Timedog

Manmademan said:
the SNES port of Pit Fighter is EASILY my #1 worst game of all time. No joke.

i remember i wasted a game rental on that piece of shit (and this was back when i was a kid and my parents actually letting me rent a game was a rarity) I ended up beating it in like 30 minutes.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
anotheriori said:
Pit Fighter was awesome.. in a hilariously bad/cheesy way. "Come on punk!", guy spitting on you after he knocks you down, bashing guys with crates/boxes and the weird looking animation, or how when you tossed people it would look so awkward/wrong. I swear the final boss guy said in his cut scenes "get.. raped".
"Just.... Wait." Or else, "Chestweight"

Either way, I don't get all the Pitfighter hate. It's relatively simplistic, but given how limited the design was, the amount of stuff you can do is surprisngly versitile. Nothing quite like slamming someone onto the hood of a car then elbowing them into grayscale doom etc. Main downside was that Kato was useless. Ty could simply cartwheel past attack then back elbow an opponent to death. Kato would do a useless flip.

karasu

Nerevar said:
I think, not only that, he's claiming that these conventions have been taken to an extreme. Modern fighting games only are made to appeal to the truly hardcore, with things like sophisticated combo systems, move cancelling, and counters (all in SF II, but not the focus of it and only really highlighted in high-level play).

I think his point was that SF II was really the peak of fighters, in terms of accessibility and sophistication. Before that people were putting together the basics to get to that point, and afterwards the focus on the technical aspects have overwhelmed the basic "pick-up-and-play" aspect of the genre. That's why he traces the early games in the genre, to figure out how we got to that point in the first plac.e

I think it took me like a month to do a Shoryuken.

Top Bottom