• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LAIR thread

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Bebpo said:
What's sad is that it'll probably outsell Warhawk -_-

Sony gave Lair a really big marketing push, despite it sucking.

truth is... it didn't, warhawk has been all over the store, and homepage for a long time, I expect warhawk to sell strong to be honest, and it truly deserves it. Lair has been slient for the past month or 2, I think they knew the game was a flop at that point.

edit- I still think lair sales will be somewhat strong, based on the hype surrounding the game, but I thought it was God awful.

watership

PistolGrip said:
zdwd1amfzmmmjiiyzmgn.jpg

:(

Sweet zombie jesus.

Did they just need more dev time? What the hell happened?

Proc

watership said:
Sweet zombie jesus.

Did they just need more dev time? What the hell happened?

I think they needed more time. If only they made sixaxis controls secondary like in motorstorm instead of its focus.

Bebpo

Banned
Proc said:
I think they needed more time. If only they made sixaxis controls secondary like in motorstorm instead of its focus.

Considering all they seem to have been doing for the last few months is polishing up the graphics and framerate, I kind of doubt "gameplay" was on their priority list and that if they had more months they'd spend it on gameplay instead of graphics.

Sharp

When I went to Gamespot to get Metroid Prime 3 today someone was buying Warhawk. I also saw two dudes buying a 360 and tried to tell them to get Bioshock, but I don't know if they listened. They seemed impressed by the cover art, though. There seems to be literally no hype for Lair, though there are Halo 3 ads all over the place. </anecdotal>

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Considering all they seem to have been doing for the last few months is polishing up the graphics and framerate, I kind of doubt "gameplay" was on their priority list and that if they had more months they'd spend it on gameplay instead of graphics.

is that true though?

remember the very first reviews were saying "frame rate issues" but then people were saying "oh, all those got fixed in the last week or so before final"

Again, i`m sure a good game was supposed to be in there, but it looks like this was supposed to be a PS3 showcase first and foremost, and if the game was good, then alls the better. And i think that`s where the emphasis has went - it might have been by the time they finished polishing that shit up for cell, that they didn`t have time to fix what was left to be fixed?

Or ... they could just be not too hot on gameplay?

Again, post mortem please!

tanod

when is my burrito
I haven't played it yet but my suggestion for a box quote would be:

"It's not as bad as Devil May Cry 2"

Disregarding games that are buggy messes, DMC2 is the worst game I've ever played.

Tideas

Banned
Proc said:

wrong. This game would have been worse if it was with analog.

Tideas

Banned
Marconelly said:
Regardless of that, I'm almost willing to bet F5 will be releasing the analog sticks patch ASAP.

Probably not, because it's not the motion control that's the glitchy, it's just the glitchy framerate, and the targetting. None of which deals with motion control.

Honestly, anyone here who has beatened the game, can you really say analog would make it better?

You're bsing if you did. This game really was meant for motion control, for better or for worse.

JCBossman

Banned
This is my Favorite user review, sorta wraps it up with a NICE bow: Quote:If you haven't opened it, id return it. and if u have opened it, i would return it for another copy of lair saying the copy is defective... then return the unopened one for instore credit (ie: Halo 3 or Assassin's Creed or COD4!)

Edit: I'm not sure what Halo 3 is going to do for you if all you have is a PS3...Maybe he meant the Halo Killer: Haze

arcader

Banned
Thought id post some more impressions here too since that IGN review thread seems to have become about all kinds of other stuff besides lair...

played more tonight in between Warhawk sessions.

Still loving the game...

If you go back to the darklands area, there are like 12 different training courses you can practice with. 4 flying/dashing courses, 4 air combat courses and 4 ground combat courses....

You can always get a refresher on the moves and I have gotten much better at the game practicing and getting better and better at the dragon flying.

I watched my friend play tonight and it seems that people have the biggest problem with the fact that the dragon doesnt fly in a straight line, but instead bobs up and down as the wings flap...its a dragon, not an F14 tomcat.

I find that the best way to take down objective enemies is to lock onto youyr target, and then press circle or triangle to zoom right up and takedown, crash into or melee fight in the air...only use the fireballs, flame spray for crowds of ice dragons, stationary targets, strafing ground troops or the enemy ships. you cant just spam all of your enemies with the fireball - MANY are immune and need you to melee them or take out the rider.

I have also noticed when other play that there is so much going on they cant handle everything at once....the flying, the shooting/meelee, switching tactics for different enemies.....its really one of those games that takes you beyond the normal level of multitasking in games...it uses every single button and and the extra dimension of the tilt control management.....not even Wii taxes you this hard in a multitasking sense...not nearly as many buttons...

Another thing I love doing is grabbing an enemy soldier from the crowds with my claw as i swoop down, and then feeding in mid air

so the full control scheme is...

SIXAXIS tilt/thrust/flip - fly the dragon

L1/R1 - change target lock

L2/R2 - left and right talon/brakes

triangle - takedown

square - fireballs (press rapid) flame breath (hold button) (use the right or left stick while in flame breath mode to aim it - like if hovering over a crowd of enemies you use the stick to sweep the crowd with the flame stream)

circle - strike (like after you lock on, press this button to quickly fly up to the locked enemy for some CQC)

control pad - rage vision

l/r sticks - camera flame breath control

its cool to fly in one direction and look aim in another....

when you are learning how to manage it all and play the game right you will fuck up alot...you really have to practice at this to get good and get the good medals (silver and up)

I can understand why its too hard for many and frustrates them - but I still think the reviews and the trolling are out of control.

I still from time to time try to use the sticks to move out of instinct because the action just becomes too much....the game shows some text on the screen to remind me to stop being a stunned dumbass and use the tilt to fly the dragon and the sticks to look....

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Man, I don't know what these reviewers are talking about...

THIS GAME IS AWESOME!

For me to poop on.
:lol :lol

I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you making fun of lair but the Triumph joke came out of nowhere :lol

I'm such a simpleton.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
MachoInfinity said:
The relentless and fanatical desire to trash the game should be obvious.
Considering most of the 'hype' threads on this forum consisted of people fanatically trashing the game, I'd say it was already going on long before gameplay issues were mentioned.

DCharlie said:
And i think that`s where the emphasis has went - it might have been by the time they finished polishing that shit up for cell, that they didn`t have time to fix what was left to be fixed?
It's been painfully obvious the game was being rushed for last 6months or so. It doesn't matter what the emphasis was, that's never good news.
I noticed that GS is consistent with IGN in how they reviewed Bouncer incredibly high (6.7), and review uses very similar lines to describe it as Lair. "Hw showcase, more fun as a movie then a game". Maybe F5 is just 7 years too late :p

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Kabuki Waq said:
just since you guys like to compare reviews...... you guys should know Alphasnake LOVED The Bouncer.

:p

Good God, here too? Calm your tits, the game isn't getting a great score from me, either.

AlphaSnake said:
Good God, here too? Calm your tits, the game isn't getting a great score from me, either.

actually here is where i got the inspiration for the other thread :lol

its not how it looks i swear!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Controls are fine. I'll keep saying this till I die yes.
All these reviewers bitching about the controls are just plain idiots. I can stand a review complaining about other game aspects, but controls is quite possibly the only thing that works great with Lair.

It's really incredible to behold. NO ONE ever compained about controls during all those previews and now, all of a sudden, is "the worst control schemes ever devised"? Please, gimme a break. MS funded this review, I can't explain it otherwise. Or maybe he played with the controller upside down

One is that during slow-mo, you can only pan the camera horizontally, so you can have foes above or below, but no chance of stringing them into a combo because you can't lock on to them.

This just shows how much effort went into reviewing this game. Cos that's not true. You can pan the camera up and down too with the sticks.

Geez

TTP said:
It's really incredible to behold. NO ONE ever compained about controls during all those previews and now, all of a sudden, is "the worst control schemes ever devised"? Please, gimme a break. MS funded this review, I can't explain it otherwise. Or maybe he played with the controller upside down

:lol

Yeah, MS funds every poor review a PS3 game ever gets. And this is the only poor review LAIR ever got.
NOT!

TTP said:

My reaction exactly.

Mesijs

Played the training and first mission. I think it sucks like the reviews say, but I can't say for sure yet of course. Have to play a lot more, but I would like to play Heavenly Sword for the second time rather than playing Lair... whick says enough.

TTP said:
All these reviewers bitching about the controls are just plain idiots. I can stand a review complaining about other game aspects, but controls is quite possibly the only thing that works great with Lair.

Wow ahah. :)

TTP said:

I'll avoid saying too much about what I think about the current review climate at least in the US (think hivemind and oddly fluctuating standards), and will instead argue that the choice to offer no control option other than motion control was a bad choice indeed. If you don't get them right, and here I'm talking about getting them right to taste and personal preference of the critic (which is of course impossible to achieve on a universal scale), then you run the risk of getting panned on a fundamental level. Offer a control scheme that makes the game a chore to play and critics will shit on like nothing else, especially if they belong to the school of offering ego fueled opinion pieces rather than genuine buyer's guides.

But, this still kind of showcases the odd fluctuations in standards (couldn't resist, sorry). Certain other games that were almost universally slammed for having poor motion controls were still spared somewhat when it came to general scoring, and with their strengths given fair mention. It's hard to shake the notion that Lair is currently acting as the scapegoat for poor motion controls in general, and as such becomes a punching bag for critics everywhere. I don't personally believe that this is anywhere near greatness, but to be rated below 5 on IGNs oddball and traditionally rather generous and forgiving scale, that's quite odd. The focus seems to be squarely on the shortcomings, with whatever strengths the game has mentioned in a casual spit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
It's really incredible to behold. NO ONE ever compained about controls during all those previews and now, all of a sudden, is "the worst control schemes ever devised"?
Yeah, I mentioned this before - a lot of these outlets really do sound like they're going <psyche> Factor 5, we were just screwing with ya when we said the controls weren't bad - nyah-nyah-nyah!

I know reviews usually withhold complaints or try to sugercoat things, but this is the extreme of the extremes I think.

Marconelly said:
Yeah, I mentioned this before - a lot of these outlets really do sound like they're going <psyche> Factor 5, we were just screwing with ya when we said the controls weren't bad - nyah-nyah-nyah!

I know reviews usually withhold complaints or try to sugercoat things, but this is the extreme of the extremes I think.

It's odd, as I'd imagine that the responsible thing would be for editors to use their previews to give a heads up to the developers. There is this idea going around that slamming a game in previews is unfair due to the WIP status of the project, but if there is an issue there, it could potentially have been helped by at least acknowledging that there is an issue in the first place.

arcader

Banned
SpokkX said:
..but I thought the reviews stated the the lock on was automatic? You can change target then?

yes - the dragon will alto focus on something when it comes in range by placing a soft white circle around it...if you are flying thru a crowd of small ice dragons, this allows you to just quickly tap the square button to machine gun a bunch of fire shots and take them all out as when you kill each one, the focus will automatically go to the next closest enemy...

when you push L1 or R1, the enemy with the dragons auto focus will be locked on - you will see the soft white circle turn into a red circle. when an enemy is locked on, no matter what direction you fly in the camera will stay locked onto the enemy, and taps of the square button will shoot fire in the locked enemies direction by twisting the dragons neck to aim head...once you are locked onto an emeny, you can push L1/ or R1 to cycle the lock amongst the other nearby enemies within range.

When locked on, you can use triangle to initiate a takedown (proper enemy with rider) or push circle to charge (quickly fly in a straight line dash to the locked enemy for the purpose of melee combat or to engulf it in flames at close range...if you charge a dragon with a rider, you will either enter melee, or be flying side by side and can try to knock him off of his mount.

Its a system that is too complicated for those who cant handle managing all of that and tilting the controller to fly...

Its funny watching gaming pussays get frustrated - but feels very rewarding when you get good at mastering it.

If you have played games with new/challenging control schemes before (like Gun Valk for example) and mastered the inner zen of them and enjoyed every moment of it - LAIR is soooo for you.

I really feel motivated to get so good at the dragon riding that i unlock the silver and gold medals in all of the stages.

Each time I play and play better with more style and get a better score It feels very satisfying.

The scoring criteria number of kills, objectives defended and total mission time really make you master the controls if you hope to rank well.

Or ypou can play thru it like a web review idiot and barely get bronze in any stage and cry about it on the WWW.

arcader said:
Its funny watching gaming pussays get frustrated
Hilarious. Why don't we have games that inflict pain on the people that play them too? That way you can prove you're a real hard man by playing the game.

I remember why not! Because games are supposed to be fun.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
arcader said:
yes - [cut].

Also to be noted that when moving the camera around it's like you are actually moving the dragon's view, so if you look sideways and there is something to be shot down there, the dragon will fire in that direction. When you are attacked from behind, the manual lock-on is very useful cos you can look back and hold the Ace Comabt-like lock-on button to immediately turnaround a flight towards that target.

arcader

Banned
Psychotext said:
Hilarious. Why don't we have games that inflict pain on the people that play them too? That way you can prove you're a real hard man by playing the game.

Right - and fun is challenging - better than playing the same old same old control scheme I have mastered (left stick move, right stick look, trigger shoot) and pretty much fall asleep doing....

Anyone who praises the most fun Wii games while dissing this games motion control is an idiot. This game gives me the fun of the Wii's control mechanics with something next gen to look at/play.

You know what I mean...

arcader said:
Right - and fun is challenging - better than playing the same old same old control scheme I have mastered (left stick move, right stick look, trigger shoot) and pretty much fall asleep doing....

Anyone who praises the most fun Wii games while dissing this games motion control is an idiot. This game gives me the fun of the Wii's control mechanics with something next gen to look at/play.

You know what I mean...

I'd prefer it if the challenge came from the content of the game as opposed to from the control scheme.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Psychotext said:

As with every new control scheme there is a bit of a learning curve before you get accustomed to it. If you never do, no matter how much you try, than you can say the controls suck. But this is not the case with Lair. At all. You get them pretty fast and it's basically perfect. This reviewer here also complains about stuff you might complain in basically every flight simulator out there, like having to pass multiple times over a stationary ground target before destroying it. But hew also forgot to say that you can stop mid air in "hover mode" if you want to.

Top Bottom