• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LAIR thread

PnCIa

"Lair is a beautiful disaster."
They can get really creative when they don´t like stuff. And I´m still going to buy the game, I must be insane or something.

Proc

OMG I can't believe how well plugging in your PS2 controller refines these controls ! I offically <3 lair lol.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
You shouldn't play Lair. Not unless you have some morbid interest in experiencing what is quite possibly one of the worst control schemes ever devised. It's a shame because as a cinematic experience, it's stunning to watch. As a game, it's a nightmare and an embarrassment. It sounds like a fantastic idea: You fly around on a dragon, spewing fire and clawing at other reptiles while generally wreaking havoc. Too bad you're forced to use Sixaxis controls that destroy the possibility of fun and replace it with the constant need to scream expletives at your television screen.

wow, that is a rough intro

AZ Greg

:lol

Who would have guessed that the heavily criticized EGM review, which was quickly discredited thanks to EGMs supposed "bias," would end up being higher than both IGN and Gamespot?!

Norse

When's the title to this thread going to get its witty slam like the shadowrun thread did..multiple times I may add.

official LAIR thread of stink

Bebpo

Banned
I'm really glad this game is bombing.

I'm sure other PS3 developers are looking at the reviews and going "yeah...maybe we shouldn't make our game rely on motion controls". PS3 non-waggle future ftw!

Proc

can someone tell me how you're supposed to do the encounters that require you to shake the sixaxis with the analog sticks?

hyonoid

i7827_947929629a9c1dd609atx3.jpg

i don´t want anymore.

KTallguy

Banned
Yea, I'm renting/borrowing this now :lol

Sorry. Man I really was interested though.
Patch it for Analog and maybe I'll give it a non-shake.

spwolf

AlphaSnake said:
Probably that, yeah. I personally hated it at E3, because:

A) I had no time to learn the controls.
B) I had another 60 games to play.
C) Other people were waiting for a turn.
D) I was also pissed that I couldn't play it with normal controls.

So most of that falls under time. But, what I can definitely see is that the game is incomplete. You'll notice tons of issues like squads of fighters looking like stick men, moving at a frame per second. Furthermore, when you swoop down to pick up a soldier with your talons and throw him, it looks terrible. The camera pans off of you, to follow the soldier as he free falls. The little trooper just flies off into nothingness, no sound, no collision detection with any objects he flies into. Nothing. It's an absurdly pointless feature, and Factor 5 should've allowed us to turn off action-cam scenes such as this. Luckily, grabbing soldiers is totally optional, so just avoid it -- it's not fun anyways.

Yeah...the game definitely seems to be rushed in order to make this release date. The more you play the more things you pick up on that make it clear the game is incomplete. There's just no polish, at all.
---

But when you get past that, the game is still a ton of fun and highly engaging. And that's the most important thing: is that I'm engaged.

really... most crazily reviewed game ever = Lair

Bebpo

Banned
Tideas said:
and watch it beats out Two World in retail sales. hehe

What's sad is that it'll probably outsell Warhawk -_-

Sony gave Lair a really big marketing push, despite it sucking.

Proc

It really is just one solid patch away from a solid 7.5. I don't think this is the fault of factor 5 so much as it is the fault of sony kicking it out the door as is.

blackadde

Proc said:
It really is just one solid patch away from a solid 7.5. I don't think this is the fault of factor 5 so much as it is the fault of sony kicking it out the door as is.

given the number of AAA games coming out in the next couple months, a 7.5 game isn't going to be worth anybody's time.

JdFoX187

Banned
If you guys can get used to the controls, they're really fun. It's not that hard to control the dragon, anyone saying otherwise really hasn't grasped them yet. I still don't see why people are complaining about the camera either. It was somewhat of a problem on the ground, but it didn't bother me that much.

Proc

blackadde said:
given the number of AAA games coming out in the next couple months, a 7.5 game isn't going to be worth anybody's time.

It's a fun game dude, its worth your time if you liked Factor 5's previous efforts.

If this thread is worth your time, surely Lair is worth the time of some.

Draft

Proc said:
can someone tell me how you're supposed to do the encounters that require you to shake the sixaxis with the analog sticks?
Just shake the controller really really fucking hard.

Easy_G

Bebpo said:
I'd love to see an interview with F5 in the next week with their reactions to the magazine scores.

From the EGM review:

EGM said:
EGM: Lair supports only motion control in-flight. Why not at least give players the option to use the analog sticks?
Eggebrecht:We debated that a long time, but we didn't want to offer worse control, and Lair does control worse and less precisely with the stick control for the air. It also destroys some of the connection to the feeling of gliding with a living creature.

. . .

EGM: The lock-on system is complex and seems to have a mind of its own sometimes. Why not opt for a simpler system?
Eggebrecht: It is quite simple- hit L1 or R1, and you lock an enemy that is lit. You can also hold the buttons to lock, but I prefer the quick tap of the button.

Not necessarily reactions, but they are responses to the most common complaints.

Oneself

:lol WTF!? The controls are all right... I'm curious to see how they play this game, and I'm serious! Lair is really getting bashed for nothing.. I mean, it's not that bad!! I decided not to buy the game because of those reviews but right now it's absolutely worth the 10$ week-long rental from Blockbuster.

Tideas

Banned
it seems review sites are on the lair-hate bandwagon, and is gonna try to 1up one another with a lower review score. I mean, IGN 4.9, now GS 4.5. Perhaps EGM will have a rereview, and then it'll be a 3.5!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Finally a quote they can use on the box.

But what about this one?

Billy Rygar said:
Ugh this is awful, buggy, controls like shit, and looks a lot like undulating feces.

Slap it on the cover and it could be the new "frothing demand."

Tideas said:
it seems review sites are on the lair-hate bandwagon, and is gonna try to 1up one another with a lower review score. I mean, IGN 4.9, now GS 4.5. Perhaps EGM will have a rereview, and then it'll be a 3.5!
I have the really strange feeling that edge and eurogamer are going to score it high.

Anyone who has followed the game shouldn't be surprised at the reactions. The game is the perfect storm of fanboy hate.

You have:

1080p resolution
~4 gig levels
Motion controls

The relentless and fanatical desire to trash the game should be obvious.

Top Bottom