• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LAIR thread

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AlphaSnake said:
Buuuuhh? I've had HD for almost a year now. You're confusing me with someone else.
Eh, I was thinking back to your rant on Need for Speed PS3. I swear you mentioned an SDTV...

skip

Orobi said:
Someone tell this to IGN! :D
And EGM too. :p

from EGM #219, p. 83

EGM: Lair supports only motion control in-flight. Why not at least give players the option to use the analog sticks?

Julian Eggebrecht: We debated that a long time, but we didn't want to offer worse control -- and Lair does control worse and less precisely with the stick control for the air. It also destroys some of the connection to the feeling of gliding with a living creature.

so maybe someone should tell this to julian.

Tideas

Banned
One of my friend who's played the game said that the controls might actually be worse with analog.

Guess the dev knows what he's talking about eh?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The game does play awesome with standard controls. But you lose certain abilities like doing 180s and such. Stuff that specifically requires motion.

dark10x said:
Eh, I was thinking back to your rant on Need for Speed PS3. I swear you mentioned an SDTV...

The next week I already had an HD. :lol

KTallguy

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
The game does play awesome with standard controls. But you lose certain abilities like doing 180s and such. Stuff that specifically requires motion.

Wow.

Put out a patch Factor 5. Make it so motion only works for the 180 and dash stuff.

Maybe I'll get the game now, and plug in my Dual Shock :lol

bud

Kobun Heat said:
Yeah, it... holy shit, this is, like... playable.

but, like, how can they be this dumb? how can they not know that the game controls better with the sticks/d-pad and atleast make it optionable?

factor 5 is like a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage

Aleman

bud said:
but, like, how can they be this dumb? how can they not know that the game controls better with the sticks/d-pad and atleast make it optionable?

factor 5 is like a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it was probably Sony that forced the motion control. They want to strengthen that marketing bullet point.

KTallguy

Banned
Aleman said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it was probably Sony that forced the motion control. They want to strengthen that marketing bullet point.

That's a really dumb limb.
I don't know why people think like this.

AlphaSnake

KTallguy said:
That's a really dumb limb.
I don't know why people think like this.

Because he's right, I'm sure.

Anyways, you can't play through the game without the motion sensing. There are portions in the game that require you to shake the controller in order to break or kill something. I think the game is still pretty damn playable with the SixAxis. It barely took anytime for me to get the feel of it.

KTallguy

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Because he's right, I'm sure.

What makes you think this?

If this is the case, why didn't they force you to use motion in Warhawk?

I think this is all the developer's business. Obviously Sony has requirements, but I don't think one of them is "make your game only support our experimental control scheme". Sure, Sony wants more games to support Sixaxis, but to say that they wouldn't allow them to put on a stick mode is kind of dumb.

AlphaSnake

KTallguy said:
What makes you think this?

If this is the case, why didn't they force you to use motion in Warhawk?

I think this is all the developer's business. Obviously Sony has requirements, but I don't think one of them is "make your game only support our experimental control scheme". Sure, Sony wants more games to support Sixaxis, but to say that they wouldn't allow them to put on a stick mode is kind of dumb.

Because they only wanted to have one game relying on SixAxis controls, as opposed to two.

JudgeN

I'm not sure why people complain about the 180 I do it perfect about 90% of the time, the motion is like curling a hand weight :D

AlphaSnake

Well, after more play (I'm on the 7th stage) I can honestly say this is the best implementation of SixAxis motion controls ever. I'm very, very used to it. And I actually think LAIR is a very good game once you give the controls some time.

Madman

AlphaSnake said:
Well, after more play (I'm on the 7th stage) I can honestly say this is the best implementation of SixAxis motion controls ever. I'm very, very used to it. And I actually think LAIR is a very good game once you give the controls some time.
Uhhh, any guess why everyone (Acutally, I shouldn't say that. I know there have been a few positive reviews.)has shit on it so much?

I would bet they never finished the game and never gave the motion controls a chance.

Tideas

Banned
Madman said:
Uhhh, any guess why everyone has shit on it so much?

I would bet they never finished the game and never gave the motion controls a chance.

didn't you get the memo? It's "it" right now to bash on Sony and its exclusive games without giving it a chance.

AlphaSnake

Madman said:
Uhhh, any guess why everyone has shit on it so much?

Probably that, yeah. I personally hated it at E3, because:

A) I had no time to learn the controls.
B) I had another 60 games to play.
C) Other people were waiting for a turn.
D) I was also pissed that I couldn't play it with normal controls.

So most of that falls under time. But, what I can definitely see is that the game is incomplete. You'll notice tons of issues like squads of fighters looking like stick men, moving at a frame per second. Furthermore, when you swoop down to pick up a soldier with your talons and throw him, it looks terrible. The camera pans off of you, to follow the soldier as he free falls. The little trooper just flies off into nothingness, no sound, no collision detection with any objects he flies into. Nothing. It's an absurdly pointless feature, and Factor 5 should've allowed us to turn off action-cam scenes such as this. Luckily, grabbing soldiers is totally optional, so just avoid it -- it's not fun anyways.

Yeah...the game definitely seems to be rushed in order to make this release date. The more you play the more things you pick up on that make it clear the game is incomplete. There's just no polish, at all.
---

But when you get past that, the game is still a ton of fun and highly engaging. And that's the most important thing: is that I'm engaged.

AlphaSnake

Random question: how are so many of you playing it already? Did stores break the date?

tanod

when is my burrito
Alpha, Sony released it early.

I was just gonna not buy it but I'm definitely gonna have to rent it now. The opinions are just too all over the place that I can't get a sense for whether I'd like it or not. :\

Proc

Greg said:
Fuck - I didn't even think about rental stores getting the game in already.

Where'd you get it?

my local blockbuster had a few in. I am finding you have to hold the controller firmly to have proper control (i use proper loosely lol). Anyone else think of superman 64 with those rings ?

I hope they patch in analog support, the restraint my thumbs are enduring sucks.

Oneself

AlphaSnake said:

Yeah, I just went through the first 5 levels and I must say I'm quite positively surprised by the game so far. The controls are fine, I went through the basic movements training as well as the first air combat training and it's been fine.

I don't know what to think about the graphics though, it's mindblowing in parts but the lighting is just off most of the time. It's kinda lame that sometimes it's too dark and other parts are too bright.... so much that you loose details and textures. The frame rate is OK too, overall at maybe 25fps, but it's not as bad as it sounds. There is so much going on that it's easy to forget about the frame rate drops here and there... at least it's not a tearing fest as well.

The story is quite boring, as expected.. but the soundtrack, OMG! that's quality. It fits the action perfectly and it's what I expect from a big budget game like this one.

Overall, for the first 5 levels, I'd say it's a solid 7.5 for me.

JdFoX187

Banned
I picked it up today and am really enjoying it. It takes a second to get used to the controls and I have to stop for a second when I switch from ground to air combat. Overall, I'd give it an 8 right now. I'm only two levels in, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Fuck the haters.

JB1981

JdFoX187 said:
I picked it up today and am really enjoying it. It takes a second to get used to the controls and I have to stop for a second when I switch from ground to air combat. Overall, I'd give it an 8 right now. I'm only two levels in, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Fuck the haters.
Hmmmmm

Proc

I have to say I'm enjoying it as well as the controls are sinking in.

Third level in: the frame rate really is all over the place.

Dave1988

So wait... LAIR is or isn't a bomba?

Kinda confusing with such mixed reviews

Ah well I'll wait for the PSN demo to hit.

OverHeat

« generous god »
My girlfriend just came back with this game as a suprise.

So far the game is not good but Framerate is BAD.

And the graphics are not that sharp for a 1080p game

Nightz

Dave1988 said:
So wait... LAIR is or isn't a bomba?

Kinda confusing with such mixed reviews

Ah well I'll wait for the PSN demo to hit.
I think it's a love-it-or-hate-it-try-it-for-yourself type of title.

Proc

Opus Angelorum said:
I find that really ironic considering how much Factor 5 talked about Liar as a graphical showcase.

Don't get me wrong, it looks visually stunning...but it chugs, and it can chug really hard.

tanod

when is my burrito
This game sounds like the text book example of a try before you buy game.

Proc, try it in 720p if you aren't already. Some say it runs better.

Proc

tanod said:
This game sounds like the text book example of a try before you buy game.

Ya, I'm glad I did. I don't think I'll buy it right away, but if they patch it down the line and it becomes more stable and adds stick functionallity, then I am so in for the buy.

tanod said:
Proc, try it in 720p if you aren't already. Some say it runs better.

Interesting, I'll give that a try.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
dallow_bg said:
Was this mentioned?

If you use a controller that doesn't support SIXAXIS (like the Logitech controller), the game switches controls to the analog sticks.
So the support is there.

in that case, the 8s and 9s are gonna be all over the place for this game
just kidding

seriously, basic comparison, which one do you prefer for lair: Sixaxis or Logitech?

Top Bottom