• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 Xbox 360 screens...

The 360 version is a marked improvement over last year's game. The edit mode is back and while this is still an preview version, the rosters of the 360 build are, by PES standards, incredibly up to date. The presentation is all new and still ugly, but there's tons of music now so you dont have to listen to a single song while messing about in the interface.

There's lots of new little touches like when you pause the game you see your bench and the coach all agitated in a small window. English commentary sounds markedly better than before too.

Edit: took the screens down a I was told by some colleagues that screens of the preview version werent allowed, though no one had told us that when we got the code.

FFChris

How is this possible on a DVD9?

Edit: Looks pretty ugly, which is a shame. Hope the gameplay is better than the last one, ugh.

pswii60

Screens indicate it is going to look the same as last year's itteration. All muddy, washed out, and very last-gen looking.

Will be interesting to see if the PS3 version will be the same, but I assume as we've got 360 screens first that the PS3 will just be a port of the 360 version.

Tomcat

pswii60 said:
Will be interesting to see if the PS3 version will be the same, but I assume as we've got 360 screens first that the PS3 will just be a port of the 360 version.

ps3 and xbox360 versions are going to look identical

FFChris

pswii60 said:
Screens indicate it is going to look the same as last year's itteration. All muddy, washed out, and very last-gen looking.

Wasn't this the game that was built from the ground up for the PS3? Maybe I'm confusing myself.

herod

pswii60 said:

360 is a port of the PS2 version.

Orlics

FFChris said:
Wasn't this the game that was built from the ground up for the PS3? Maybe I'm confusing myself.

Seabass said last year that PES 2007 already had their next-gen engine. Don't expect any major graphical improvements in the years to come.

That's fine, since PES was never about the graphics.

The game looks FAR better in motion and overall than last year's 360 version, which I didnt want to play at all. The pitches, the grass, look far better as do the players.

The PS2 preview code is incredible though...it's got a rock solid super smooth framerate, though it looks the same as last year.

Aalyx

The interface looks slick. (...by Pro Evo standards)

How is this ugly?!? Considering how far out the default camera is in Pro Evo you can still see quite a lot of detail. The player likeness is spot on!

Why the heck aren't Manchester United still licenced? We're the Premiership Champions!

Can you tell us how it plays please? How is the shooting compared to Pro Evo 6? Thanks for the screens.

[EDIT] Actually looking at the other screens I see none of the Premiership teams are licensed yet. It's odd that we have Pique in our team but not Eagles...

Mmmkay

pswii60 said:

These aren't the first PES 2008 screenshots.

pswii60

herod said:
360 is a port of the PS2 version.

They said last year it was their 'new next-gen engine'.

But so much BS has been spewed all over GAF about PES - whether it is about "18 gb!!", PS3 version being built from the ground up etc.

The fact is we have no confirmation of any of this apart from that Chinese magazine which seemed to base the info off the rumour which was originally posted on to a forum.

The PS3 version will be unveiled at Leipzig, and don't get me wrong, I'd freakin' love it if it looks better, I want a real next-gen looking Pro Evo, but I just doubt it will happen. And to be honest, PES has never been about good graphics.

FFChris

RiotPelaaja said:
The game looks FAR better in motion and overall than last year's 360 version, which I didnt want to play at all. The pitches, the grass, look far better as do the players.

That's good to know. Have they kept the slow ass 360 PES6 gameplay, or made it a little more like the PS2 versions of the game?

pswii60 said:
The PS3 version will be unveiled at Leipzig, and don't get me wrong, I'd freakin' love it if it looks better, I want a real next-gen looking Pro Evo, but I just doubt it will happen. And to be honest, PES has never been about good graphics.

Agreed. But I didn't find the PES6 next-gen gameplay very impressive either. In fact, I was pretty annoyed about the whole thing, and still am.

Tomcat

FFChris said:
That's good to know. Have they kept the slow ass 360 PES6 gameplay, or made it a little more like the PS2 versions of the game?

Passing and gameplay will be faster this time

Some more info from various magazines :

- 3 Buttons combination to press for a dive
- Very difficult to dive,because the refree give you often the yellow card
- shooting is better/harder
- no difference between pc and xbox360/ps3 version
- No more black screen confirmed after a foul for quick freekick
- Turkey National licence added
- New Menu more simple with blue world map on the background
- no more scripts, better control of the player
- the ball physique look more heavy
- Untucked shirts
- Full 3D fans
- Amazing collisions
- GoalKeepers very realistic

Joypad tested the xbox version. A quick summary:

- Joypad play on a 360 version of the game at 75% (like all preview, still no PS3)
- Crazy details on faces for the stars
- Great collisions
- The referee uses a whistle
- Alot of animations just for assist
- Alot frame rate problem
- Gameplay look the same
- Better ball protection (better collision)
- better control for pass (more sharp)
- Irritated coach
- Player go up their socks
- New camera on PK (behind the goalkeeper) when the computer shoot
- No times for try really the teamvision (but much better AI in very hard)
- no access to training mode, master league and online mode for the moment
- Scenario mode on PS2 no Next gen
- No more Latvia , now it's Israel

SuperCat

Banned
Why the **** can't PES be about good graphics? Just because it never has, doesn't give them an excuse not to bother chasing Fifa. It all looks so flat.

The lack licensing has gone too far now, they need to cough up the money.

pswii60 said:
I'm sure you noticed this, but those screens have an effect on them until you mouse over them or load them individually. Bit stupid because on first glance they look very washed out. Close up they look ok though.

That said, Ryan Giggs would be PISSED! lol

FFChris

Tomcat said:

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll rent it before deciding whether or not to buy this one.

SuperCat said:

I don't care about the licensing personally, don't bring anything to the game in my opinion. I just want good gameplay.

Salazar

Raul's an absolute bastard to be in a team with, though, from what I've read. Megalomaniac, paranoid and vindictive with it. I won't be picking him - although I won't often be playing as Madrid to be honest. Never the same since Hierro did one.

I like to think they could maybe push the graphics one or two notches up the list of priorities, seeing as they're not busting a gut pushing the gameplay into a different shape. The line about it 'not being about the graphics' shouldn't mean that they don't, or can't, give it several slaps of next-gen paint. The game looking workmanlike shouldn't be a source of perverse pride or parochial security.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
the problem with WE/PES is they need a good two years of work to just start over and upgrade the game through out.

And it`s too much of a cash engine to do a totally new version.

Perhaps if a new soccer games comes out of the blue that totally blows WE/PES away, then they`ll feel the need to go back and regroup. Unfortunately i don`t see that happening.

Actually - the European league WE is the first WE game i`m passing on. I can wait for the PS3 version this time...

ZOMG 18GB w/o audio

higher res textures only available due to BluRay!!!!

Dutfish

Tomcat said:

Some more info from various magazines :

I hope this doesn't turn out to be true.

A lot of the rest of that stuff seemed to be really minor tweaks and additions, referees using a whistle, stuff about players socks, etc. It was these small nuances that I used to love about ISS/PES but I really think its about time Konami started to address some of the bigger issues with the games before they get too concerned with players' socks.

Jube3

SuperCat said:
Why the **** can't PES be about good graphics? Just because it never has, doesn't give them an excuse not to bother chasing Fifa. It all looks so flat.

I think the lack of certain licenses has more to do with the exclusive licenses EA holds than them being cheap. I wish the game got a bigger graphical facelift. I had fun with last years winning eleven on 360 but it was an ugly game, especially the pitch.

Tomcat

People who want licensing can get the pc version. There will be patches from the pro community with all the teams and players.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
The only question I have is: What will Derby County's fake name be in the game?

East Midlands White, probably

They need to get more licenses, but hopefully option files will be out shortly after release to help.

Jube3

Tomcat said:
People who want licensing can get the pc version. There will be patches from the pro community with all the teams and players.

Yea the PC community is amazing, they even have stadium advertising mod skins to add a bit of realism.

aren't there ways to patch in the licenses on consoles, too? I've never fiddled around with it, but there are guys in the PES community pretty dedicated to the cause.

adelante

Tomcat said:
- Very difficult to dive,because the refree give you often the yellow card
Wait...what?? Nice...

While they're at it, they should include the ability to shove players away as well (like they did with the old Fifa, up until '96 I believe...)

Well, while we havent been told so officially, according to my colleagues taking screens is not okay, so I've taken the link down, sorry about that.

rubso said:
huh?
It isn't hard to recognize joke posts.

Once? Unfunny joke
Twice? Stupid trolling.

Thread about the 360 version of the game and the PS3 bashing starting already in the first page... wtf is wrong with u ppl?

rolleyes.gif

FFChris

Metalmurphy said:
Thread about the 360 version of the game and the PS3 bashing starting already in the first page... wtf is wrong with u ppl?

Really, it's just a joke. No harm meant.

rubso

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Once? Unfunny joke
Twice? Stupid trolling.

rolleyes.gif
bashing? sorry i can't see that in this thread.
I replied to Chris post, see it above, with some kind of a joke.
then DCharlie posted what it appears to be a joke post too ( with a quote of my post ) about the PS3 version has HIGHER RES textures, I replied with a joke post too.
I didn't mention PS3 nor blu-ray!
is it clear?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
bashing? sorry i can't see that in this thread.
I replied to Chris post, see it above, with some kind of a joke.
then DCharlie posted what it appears to be a joke post too ( with a quote of my post ) about the PS3 version has HIGHER RES textures, I replied with a joke post too.
I didn't mention PS3 nor blu-ray!
is it clear?

sense of humour is X360 fan exclusive this gen!

Aalyx

Tomcat said:
- shooting is better/harder
- No more black screen confirmed after a foul for quick freekick
- the ball physique look more heavy
- Untucked shirts
- Full 3D fans
- GoalKeepers very realistic
I'm sold :D

I hope they truly improved the shooting, one of my biggest complaints in Pro Evo 6 was you could have the tiniest of pressure from a defender and completely mess up your shot.

Why are they adding diving though, it's an element in football I hate to see and I bet it will be exploited quite easily.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was really hoping this would be optimized and all next-gen'd for PS3 (where are the moneyhats, $ony?) since the DS configuration has always been the only viable option for me, but it looks like we may never get the true new-gen PES I had been hoping for.

Still, as long as they get rid of or tone down the dribbling stickiness from PES 2007, that's reason enough alone to buy it for me.

Jube3

A2D said:
I'm sold :D

I hope they truly improved the shooting, one of my biggest complaints in Pro Evo 6 was you could have the tiniest of pressure from a defender and completely mess up your shot.

Why are they adding diving though, it's an element in football I hate to see and I bet it will be exploited quite easily.

Could be cool though and add another element of strategy especially online, you get carded if the ref catches the dive. So maybe pressure your friend/opponent and back off if you think hes gonan dive. A yellow card should teach him a lesson, especially if it cards one of his star players.

Zabojnik

I'm sure that most of us PES-geeks will soon end up only playing it online, but I can't believe more people aren't pissed at the fact that the Master League apparently won't be getting a MUCH, MUCH needed overhaul. What the hell? To me that's always been like a single player campaign in an action game.

I have no confirmation either way, but since they haven't spent a word on it and we're almost there, I don't suppose we'll get updates in that department. By now we should be getting an online ML, yet even the most hardcore PES players only seem to care about graphics and animations. Seriously.

Top Bottom