• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 Xbox 360 screens...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jube3 said:
Could be cool though and add another element of strategy especially online, you get carded if the ref catches the dive. So maybe pressure your friend/opponent and back off if you think hes gonan dive. A yellow card should teach him a lesson, especially if it cards one of his star players.

I can't even begin to fathom the exploitation of diving online unless it's implemented to absolute perfection within the game.

Zabojnik

AstroLad said:
I can't even begin to fathom the exploitation of diving online unless it's implemented to absolute perfection within the game.

Well, we are talking about a japanese developer so ... Yeah, I don't expect perfection in the online mode. I hope that you'll be able to turn it off.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Zabojnik said:
Well, we are talking about a japanese developer so ... Yeah, I don't expect perfection in the online mode. I hope that you'll be able to turn it off.

Right, I don't even mean perfectly implemented online, just well implemented in general. The advantage was spotty when it was brought in, but it didn't really bother me that much. This could be a much thornier issue depending on how Konami approached it. It should really be one of those things that you can use, say, one or two times a game, and that has a low success rate depending on the situation. As long as it has a low success rate, the loss of possession should be deterrent enough.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Shinobi said:
:lol

Nothing listed regarding a revamped replay system, so I assume we'll get the same bullshit three second job.

Plus limited saves!

PES: Feel the Evolution.

Tomcat

Some pics from the edit mode:

1714112-medium.jpg

1714113-medium.jpg

Use the xbox 360's cam to import your face?

1714114-medium.jpg

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Camera pics? wow, I thought that would take at least 5 years to make it into PES. Should make for some hilarity.

If they're allowing Xbox cam pics for create-a-player, that might sway me to go with the 360 version. Anyhow, promising news as it maybe shows they're not sitting on their asses for this year's version.

bdoughty

Banned
Well the guy pictured in the camera shot is Seabass, so it could have been done in jest or they truly are adding some sort of camera support. Not a lot of 6'5 250lb soccer players so if it is not in, I will not complain.

Plenty of images floating around if you look for them

bdoughty

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
I'm a FIFA 08 guy myself. I think I might be the only one. :(

No, there few million other Fifa fans out there (you just wont find many here). It is improving and I am a license whore so I get Fifa yearly. Fifa 08 has the potential to be a solid game, which fans deserve for purchasing Fifa06/RTWC and the feature/team limited 07 for the 360.

Un4

Wow.. vision support in player creation, that's awesome. Finally a reason to pick up a Vision.

swander

now if they have any shitty facial models we can just take a photo of a picture of the footballer with the vision camera, right? awesome.

CloudNL

Jube3 said:
the gameplay was all blurred out :( I didnt understand a word of it, but at 73% did he call Christiano Ronaldo what I think he called him? :lol

Yes :lol
But you can see some gameplay footage that's not blurred at the end of the video.

bdoughty

Banned
One small update

from the WEBlog

4players.de PES 2008 Preview

They have only played the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions, but confirmed a constant slowdown on the X360 version. They are confident that Konami will solve that prior to release. Well, there is spoken intro and such little tweaks, but apart from that it´s the same as it ever was. Still no currency included either, you still get points for you wins.

* Edit mode on all platforms.
* Graphics better, but no quantum leap.
* Nice menus, great animations.
* Stadiums still with old textures, some slowdowns (they hope this will get worked over for final version).
* Ball physics and animations improved.
* Good AI, they lost against com the first two matches on third difficulty level.
* Ball feels and sounds heavier, great long distance shooting.
* Physique of players more realistic.
* Dribbling better, differences in acceleration of players play a greater role.
* Defense more difficult (second player pressing less effective, pass anticipation more rewarding)
* Great goalie animations.
* Lobs easier
* They did not succeed with a dive, yellow card every time.
* Com also dives in master league, also always got a yellow.
* You can choose the numbers of players in the wall.
* They could not test shirt pulling and bringing up defenders on corners.
* Quick free-kicks work great.
* PS2 with 33 stadiums, random matches, more detailed training mode, world tour, community features.
* Replays on all platforms
* More statistics (highest victory, longest (distance) goal, best possession percentage).
* Master League presentation improved.
* Now popularity and image of a club play a role in Master League.

At first they wondered, what is different to PES6? After a while they (PES-veterans) did not want to put the controller down anymore. The small changes in gameplay lead to a much better and more realistic game.

-----------------------------

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bdoughty said:
* Defense more difficult (second player pressing less effective, pass anticipation more rewarding)
* Lobs easier

Thanks, that actually sounds pretty great. Quoted the parts of most importance to me. Glad to see "pass anticipation more rewarding." I'm a psychic at pass anticipation.

pswii60

bdoughty said:
One small update

from the WEBlog

They have only played the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions, but confirmed a constant slowdown on the X360 version. They are confident that Konami will solve that prior to release. Well, there is spoken intro and such little tweaks, but apart from that it´s the same as it ever was. Still no currency included either, you still get points for you wins.

* Graphics better, but no quantum leap.
* Nice menus, great animations.
* Stadiums still with old textures, some slowdowns (they hope this will get worked over for final version).
* Good AI, they lost against com the first two matches on third difficulty level.
* Lobs easier
* They did not succeed with a dive, yellow card every time.
* Com also dives in master league, also always got a yellow.
* Quick free-kicks work great.
* PS2 with 33 stadiums, random matches, more detailed training mode, world tour, community features.
* Replays on all platforms
* More statistics (highest victory, longest (distance) goal, best possession percentage).
* Master League presentation improved.
* Now popularity and image of a club play a role in Master League.

At first they wondered, what is different to PES6? After a while they (PES-veterans) did not want to put the controller down anymore. The small changes in gameplay lead to a much better and more realistic game.

-----------------------------

Thanks for that. But... what about the PS3 version? Still waiting to see if it is just a 360 port or not. And if there is slow down on the 360 version, and it's the lead platform, then....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
pswii60 said:
Thanks for that. But... what about the PS3 version? Still waiting to see if it is just a 360 port or not. And if there is slow down on the 360 version, and it's the lead platform, then....

Really, based on history odds of Konami truly fixing the slowdown for the JPN release are miniscule, though my guess is it will be mostly taken care of by the time it reaches NA. My guess is that it's the same slowdown they've had for a long time now (e.g., especially on corner kicks).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Maverick said:
Hey AstroLad, I picked up the PS2 version of WE2007 the other day. Up for a few games some time?

Yeah that sounds good. I think I can even play online from my PS3 (though I haven't tried yet) or hook up my PS2 again if need be. Don't practice too much; I'm awful at 07.

bdoughty

Banned
I could have sworn I read where the PS3 & 360 versions are the same and of course they are being simultaneously released. Have no clue which is the lead console but one would think with the legions of Sony fans this game has the PS3 would take the lead at some point.

Maverick

AstroLad said:
Yeah that sounds good. I think I can even play online from my PS3 (though I haven't tried yet) or hook up my PS2 again if need be. Don't practice too much; I'm awful at 07.

So I played '07 on 360 for a few months, and although it wasn't bad (different is how I would describe it), with the new EPL season coming up I just couldn't stand not being able to edit players and kits.

It's ridiculous that you couldn't at least register players on different teams on 360. I mean, how goddamn hard is that to implement?

Anyway, I picked up the PS2 version the other day - even got an option file that is up-to-date with everything as of the end of July.

I have to say, there's nothing like good old Pro Evo on PS2. The ball was stuck to your feet too much in the 360 version. The PS2 version feels a lot more random and realistic. I would hardly ever score crackers from outside the box in the 360 version, but the first game I played on PS2, Rooney hits a beautiful curling ball off the post and into the upper-90 from like 5 yards outside the box.

How's the netcode on PS2? haven't tried it yet. The 360 one was pretty much unplayable online.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Maverick said:
How's the netcode on PS2? haven't tried it yet. The 360 one was pretty much unplayable online.

It's definitely decent from my 15 or so hours of experience with it. I played with my friend across the country mostly, and we had a "one bar" connection but there was rarely any lag. Funny you should mention the stickiness, as that was probably my biggest complaint about this year's iteration (and I haven't even played the 360 version). Hope they completely scrap it. A lively, unpredictable ball is at the core of what makes PES great.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
bdoughty said:
One small update

from the WEBlog

They have only played the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions, but confirmed a constant slowdown on the X360 version.

why they have only played the PS2 and Xbox 360 ?

the Ps3 version?

pswii60

Il Comodino said:
why they have only played the PS2 and Xbox 360 ?

the Ps3 version?

Well, the 2,675gb PS3 version is supposed to 'debut' at GC.

But, just about every other PS3 game is getting delayed in comparison to its 360 counterpart.

bdoughty

Banned
Looking to see if there is any reason behind no PS3 footage.

I did find this tidbit... I would not miss Brackley or Brooking. Of course I am a silly yank who is limited in the soccer footage shown over here. Have no clue about these guys.

http://www.pesgaming.com/

New Commentators for PES 2008?
Aug 09, 2007 - 7:47 AM - by hitmanuk2k
Please, please, please let this be true! Zoo are reporting that Konami have finally dumped the abysmal combination of Peter Brackley and Trevor Brooking.

The new pairing is said to be ITV's Jon Champion and BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson. I think Jon Champion has one of the best commentary voices around, and although not the biggest fan of 'Lawro' at times, he surely can't be any worse than Trevor Brooking.

What must be remembered though is that the commentary for the last few years on PES hasn't been poor just because of who they got to do it. The scripting MUST be improved this time around - and with acres of room on the disc to play with I don't see why we can't have tons of new scripting and a whole better feel to the commentary altogether.

Then again, this is Konami we are talking about - we all know they can easily mess up the simplest of details.

Thanks to the NickSCFC via the WENB team for the news.

bdoughty

Banned
This could be fake - no source is listed other than

ML news and credit goes to Jack Bauer.

The Master League has had a bit more than a makeover. I never thought I would see this in my lifetime. Now, at the start of the ML, you're assigned a sponsor. Most likely, because you've just started out in the lowest division, you'll be given a crappy sponsor that you would never want to see on your beloved team's kit. And by the way, it will appear on your team's kit (cool or what). But as time goes on, you'll be approached by better sponsors, and you can negotiate yourself some serious moolah. And when I say moolah, I mean actual money (well not actual money, you won't get £3m sent to your door, but we're not dealing in credits any more, we're dealing in ... Euros, which is a start - you would imagine Konami will add GBP before release but it's cutting it fine now).

+ Continuing the Master League news... YES, THERE'S MORE. There are now more than two divisions. The final number has not yet been decided on - the amount of teams in the game is a factor with this and it's being looked at - but currently it's between four and five. There are a number of empty slots which it's assumed are for the creation of new teams - this isn't definite though, and as of now there's only around 20. As with the number of ML divisions though, this could change.

+ With the stadium editor, you have so many tools to create your team's stadium. You can edit the type of the stands, the colour of the seats, the adboards AND, calling all net fans, yes, you can officially start masturbating, you can edit the nets (including, but not limited to, the colour and the shape). Personally though, I'm not into nets, I'm more into the pitches. Which is great because you can even choose your own pitch from a pretty large list. Apparently it will be very easy to create your team's stadium, down to the finest detail.

Also so info from, Gamespot AU...

By Randolph Ramsay, GameSpot AU
Posted Aug 8, 2007 12:39 am GMT
The Pro Evolution Soccer series--which is known as the Winning Eleven series in the US--has long been revered by football fans (that's soccer fans, stateside) for its engaging and realistic gameplay. That trend looks set to continue in the series' latest version, Pro Evolution Soccer 2008, if our extensive preview time with a quite polished Australian PlayStation 2 version of the game is any indication.

Pro Evo's strict adherence to realism has always made it a more difficult game to master than some of its competitors, and PES 2008 looks likely to be no walk in the park either. One of Konami's key additions to this year's game is a new artificial-intelligence system they've dubbed Teamvision, which supposedly allows computer-controlled opponents to learn and adapt to how gamers play. What this seemed to translate to on the pitch was a higher level of aggression from opposition players. We played numerous games on Pro Evo 2008's default regular difficulty, and the defensive pressure piled on by opposition teams is certainly much greater than last year's offering.

Opposition defenders will immediately run at whoever of your team members has the ball, shutting down the free space and restricting the amount of time to pass. They'll often work in groups as well, with two or more opposition players ganging up to help force a turnover. Defenders also seem much more adept at reading the play this year, and will readily move off their marked player if there's a loose pass to be swooped on. Quick passes--and accurate ones at that--are now more than ever the key to breaking down a computer-controlled Pro Evo side.

Offensive AI also seems to have been ramped up from the previous game, with opposition attackers more adept at passing the ball around to catch defenders on the hop. Attackers also seem more willing to run with the ball and take your defenders on. All of this results in a generally tougher experience, something which long-term fans of the series will surely welcome.

This higher difficulty could catch many off guard initially, and our first few run-throughs certainly turned up some surprising results (like when we played as Brazil and got walloped 3-1 by minnows Costa Rica). But thankfully the series' core gameplay mechanics and control scheme have stayed generally the same from previous iterations. The X button is still used for short passes, circle for long, triangle for through-balls, and square for shooting at goal (although this is still as touchy as ever). In defence, X is still used to pressure a player, while circle makes your player slide tackle an opponent. There's also a range of advanced attacking and defending moves that can be busted out through a combination of the D pad, shoulder buttons, and right analog stick, but the bottom line is that experienced players should adapt quite quickly to the new difficulty on offer.

Pro Evolution has always led the way when it comes to realistic ball physics, and the 2008 version similarly showcases the same levels of finesse. If anything, the physics seem slightly improved in this outing, and it's particularly noticeable in the way the ball moves in different playing conditions. Player animations are once again high-quality, and in some cases they're eerily realistic. Goal celebration animations, player tackles, gestures to the referees, and more are all fluid and lifelike, making it a great game for spectators to view over your shoulder.

As for gameplay modes, Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 still offers a wide variety, including the returning Master League mode where players can choose a lowly side and take it all the way to the top divisions. Each game won and achievement unlocked will also earn you PES points, which can be used to unlock classic teams, players, stadiums, and more.

PES has long been behind the FIFA series in terms of official licences, and this latest version is no different. To be fair, there are still plenty of real-world players, leagues, and teams included, such as the entire French Ligue 1, the Italian Serie A, and dozens of national sides. But UK gamers will be disappointed to read that no Premier League sides are included this year, a step back from last year's PES, which at least featured Arsenal and Manchester United (although with months to go before the game's official release, Konami may still be working behind the scenes to grab some of those licences). Fans of star player Ronaldinho also miss out, with the Brazilian omitted from the game. And for Aussies, the still-young A-League is nowhere to be seen. That said, this latest version of Pro Evo once again gives you the ability to change existing team names and even logos, so true football aficionados can in some part get the accuracy they crave.

While Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 doesn't offer any major leaps from its predecessor, our preview time with this build seems to indicate that Konami has tweaked the right areas to ensure long-time fans of the series will come back for more--namely, bumping up the challenge even further. As well as the PS2, Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 is slated for release in the third quarter of this year for the PlayStation 3, PSP, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, and PC.

Some french PS2 magazine

A much more visual (eye-pleasing) and intuitive Master League interface, in particular a multitude of messages flooding your e-mail inbox with some animations here and there.

There are still many secrets being held with regards to the gestures (moves) within the game. However, three we have identified and according to our information they are: the hook in talonade, control piqué and the dive. Without forgetting a multitude of animations contributing to immerse you in full heart of the match.

Players pull up their socks, the linesman which beckons to play when the attacker is not off-side, even, as its will be the case on PS3, with “insert camera”.

Thus, when your opponent gets a free-kick you can't move your wall to better protect the angles of strike or placing the large players in place of the smaller ones. By holding the L2 trigger inserted and then pressing up or down, you will be able to withdraw or add players to your wall.

It any more but does not remain to take down the license of the first league. Perhaps even as of this year since, in the version that we in our possession, all the English teams had whimsical shirts. This is an easy way, as they did two years ago, for Konami to keep the secret of the license of League 1 (French League). Maybe the same happening for the English league.

and a teaser trailer
(don't know if it is the same as above since that linked video did not seem to be working)

bdoughty

Banned
pswii60 said:
Well, the 2,675gb PS3 version is supposed to 'debut' at GC.

But, just about every other PS3 game is getting delayed in comparison to its 360 counterpart.

Oh yea that's right - the one in late August right, when the PS3 version is officially debuted?

SumGamer

bdoughty said:
One small update
from the WEBlog

- Please get rid of some incredible strong ability of keeping the ball when Henry is in max status, it is almost impossible to get the ball from him even if he is challenge by 3 players at once. I found those ridiculous.
- I really like this update. Acceleration almost play no part in the previous games.
- Hell, it's about time.
Man, I hope they have manage a way for us to set up set-piece play tactic.

Cant wait to get my hands on the game. However, PLEASE Konami PLEASE, work on a better player-changing function. Is it really that hard to let me select which player I'll be changing to? (I'll give you a hint, let me tilt right analog-stick to the direction of the target player, according to the screen, and press L1) I've been really angry so many times when I couldnt change to the player I intended to.

shpankey

not an idiot
slightly related

my friend and i always play 2007 on the 360 against each other every weekend, but for the life of us, we cant figure out how to keep the ball down when shooting. most of the time it sails a mile high into the air. we've been wondering this for awhile, any help?

also, any other tips to help us enjoy the game more would be most welcome. :)

Osorio

shpankey said:
slightly related

my friend and i always play 2007 on the 360 against each other every weekend, but for the life of us, we cant figure out how to keep the ball down when shooting. most of the time it sails a mile high into the air. we've been wondering this for awhile, any help?

Tap the shoot button. The power bar isn't so much power most of the time as much as it is altitude.

bdoughty

Banned
shpankey said:
slightly related

I have said this since the day one when this game was released on the PS2 years ago in the US. Konami could increase their sales in the US tenfold by putting an explanation on shooting and how to keep that ball low. I see more complaints on this from new users then any other question. Then of course you have the confusion with the arrows and conditioning. Also would not be a bad idea to have it default to 2* because 3* for someone new to the series has to be an awful experience. They really just need to hire me to explain these things to my fellow Americans. :D

To answer the question...

Think Happy Gilmore when shooting up close.. tappity tap tap a roo - be light/quick on the button as the longer it is pressed, the higher the ball will go. Fifa has started doing this with the last few versions also.

SumGamer

shpankey said:
slightly related

There are several thing that ralate here.

Major factors.
1. Position of your player. This cover both where the player faces and where the ball locate. If the ball is in the right spot he can then place the shot properly. This also including the action of the player as well, shooting while dashing will make it more difficult to control the ball and standing still will not give you a great shot since it is hard for the player to take a shot. If you play soccer in real life, you will know where it should be. Dont forget about their favourite foot as well.
2. The power you apply. This is no rocket science, the longer you press the higher it will fly.
3. Choice of direction, you may or may not know this but you can actually choose where the ball go. Bottom right will net in the bottom right corner. Up left will net into the top left corner and so on.
4. Attribute of your player. Several attributes effect the shot but major one are Shooting Accuracy and technique.

Other factors.
1. The pressure from the opponent. If they are approaching you, this will give your player some tension. More obvious if they are running along shoulder to shoulder.
2. Attribute of the keeper, Many keeper make it harder for your player to place the shot properly. You cant help this though :-/

OR

just forget about those and press the button about 40% and choose the direction where you want it to go.

Some topping: After you release the Shooting button
press triangle (or whatever that is on 360 controller, X I think) to smack it harder
press R2(or RT on 360 controller) for extra accuracy, however the strenght of the ball will decrease greatly.

Top Bottom