• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 08 Online for Wii is an abomonation and and insult to gamers

jonezer4

Let me preface this rant by saying that I purchased Madden day one, excited about the prospect of some decent online play (aside from Strikers) on the Wii. It was the first time I had ever purchased two years of Madden back to back, but I did it under the impression that the addition of online would justify me dropping $50 of my hard earned cash.

I was wrong.

The fact that this product made it to market in this state boggles my mind. The game has a consistent latency that borders about a second, regardless of the apparent strength of your connection as indicated before starting a match. I've played nothing but full bar matches, about ten to be specific, and have experienced nothing but the laggiest, most frustrating online matches of my life. I recall days of playing Age of Empires over a 56k connection that ran smoother than this game, and that is not a joke.

Every facet of the game online is clunky and detracting. It even lags far behind when you're selecting your play. You want to pick a play that's one down and one to the left of your cursor? I hope you have 3 seconds, to wait on the cursor to recognize you've typed in a whole two inputs on the D-pad. If the game can't keep up when you're doing something as simple picking your play, how could it possibly be responsive when you and your online opponent are interacting with 11 players a piece on a 100 yard long field?

The answer of course, is that it can't, and it doesn't. The online in this game is broken. Games depend much more on luck of the lag-draw than any sort of actual merit or skill. Throw gestures are ignored a good 25% of the time, kicks, I'd say above 50%. It's nearly impossible to guide your player to the reception circle manually, be it on offense or defense, due to the fact that your player is only executing whatever direction you were holding two seconds ago.

I know there's all ready Madden topics, one for Wii online specifically, in which I've already displayed some disgust, but I feel the atrocity that this game is online deserves a thread of its own. It's something that I've seen all but glossed over by nearly every major review site, but it's something that gamers deserve to know. Madden online for the Wii is virtually unplayable, do not be fooled as I was. Get Strikers if you want a decent online experience, but even then, only do so if you can stomach inane 20 second cut scenes every minute.

jonezer4

Lobster said:
The Madden Wii thread on the front page.

Yeah I read that, but what I read on EA said nothing specific about Wii nor gestures in particular being worked on. We'll see if the game is playable in the next 24 and I'll eat my hat, but I have serious doubts.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I learned from burnout 3 on xbox to never buy an ea game for its online component. They have a strange attitude of 'we do it better' and suck at it.

glaurung

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

How would stupid players keep up with the batshit insane 100% speed gauge?

Impossible, I tells yah.

ZeMMiK

Wii is not for gamers, Nintendo left us... it is now for the ´other´people.
Get your (hardcore)gamerfun from MS or Sony..do it now because they also want to leave us and do business with ´the others...´

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
ZeMMiK said:
Wii is not for gamers, Nintendo left us... it is now for the ´other´people.
Get your (hardcore)gamerfun from MS or Sony..do it now because they also want to leave us and do business with ´the others...´

**searches for relevance to topic**

**none found**

I believe this constitutes trolling, sir (or ma'am).

Unless....I'm being baited, but I doubt it.

rakka

gregor7777 said:
Nice....wasn't there a thread around here last week proclaiming the wii version of Madden the superior version?

They weren't aware of these issues I guess. Thread was made before release.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
gregor7777 said:
Nice....wasn't there a thread around here last week proclaiming the wii version of Madden the superior version?
No.

That thread was talking about "Is it wrong to think that Madden '08 for the Wii will be the superior version". Wasn't stating that it was.

I'm completely skeptical of everything being done wirelessly, as the Wii and wireless speeds haven't been anything to write home about.

kay

mnfl08gc.jpg

Superior version?

RubxQub said:
No.

That thread was talking about "Is it wrong to think that Madden '08 for the Wii will be the superior version". Wasn't stating that it was.

I'm completely skeptical of everything being done wirelessly, as the Wii and wireless speeds haven't been anything to write home about.

In reality, you shouldn't notice any difference between wireless/wired as far as Internet connection, unless your wireless router or the wireless NIC on the device is a piece of shit.

This is clearly an issue with this specific game. Hopefully it's EA's server infrastructure and not the network code in the game itself, or people who bought it for online are screwed.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Wow you guys are NUTS! I have a PS3, played the 360 version and I own a Wii, I bought Madden 08 for the Wii, and while there are so issues (90%) in online which will be fixed the single player game is HANDS down the BEST version of the consoles over 360 and PS3...

Screw you graphics whores who sacrifice everything in the name of graphics, the Wii remote and Madden are the BEST combination and the game is SOOOOOOO much more realistic on the Wii for me.. Im 90% satisfied with the game and the Online stuff will be worked out before the end of the month I bet.. I have had ZERO problems playing single player maybe its somethign to do with your setup of the Sensor Bars or something..

rakka

Dorfdad said:
Wow you guys are NUTS! I have a PS3, played the 360 version and I own a Wii, I bought Madden 08 for the Wii, and while there are so issues (90%) in online which will be fixed the single player game is HANDS down the BEST version of the consoles over 360 and PS3...

Screw you graphics whores who sacrifice everything in the name of graphics, the Wii remote and Madden are the BEST combination and the game is SOOOOOOO much more realistic on the Wii for me.. Im 90% satisfied with the game and the Online stuff will be worked out before the end of the month I bet..

Um, the issue here is mainly regarding online play, no? :p

Graphics/controls complaints weren't in the OP...

kay

Dorfdad said:

Screw you graphics whores who sacrifice everything in the name of graphics, the Wii remote and Madden are the BEST combination and the game is SOOOOOOO much more realistic on the Wii for me.. Im 90% satisfied with the game and the Online stuff will be worked out before the end of the month I bet..
It can't be fixed if it is indeed a code problem, no patch can be applied.

Dorfdad said:

Screw you graphics whores who sacrifice everything in the name of graphics, the Wii remote and Madden are the BEST combination and the game is SOOOOOOO much more realistic on the Wii for me.. Im 90% satisfied with the game and the Online stuff will be worked out before the end of the month I bet.. I have had ZERO problems playing single player maybe its somethign to do with your setup of the Sensor Bars or something..

? I think one person jokingly talked about the graphics, the thread was about the online being wonked which a lot of people use and it sucks not being able to play madden online. Geez, defensive much?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Yes they can patch the game, if it's online issues ONLY they can adjust there servers to fix the issues, also why could they not patch the game through a save file or something? Just because we do not have a HD like Sony or M$ we can save files to the Wii, why not a patch that gets attached to your online profile!?

How does M$ fix games for people who do not have a HD but play online!?

Ponn

Banned
Dorfdad said:

:lol :lol Next time quote so we can see what, if anything, you are replying to.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
rakka said:
Doesn't help that the graphics are PS2 level either...

thats the graphics quote reference.. Sorry about that guys.. PS on my TV the game looks better than any XBOX madden...

Than again I have a DLP 1080p that upscales so that might help..

Razoric

Banned
Dorfdad said:
Yes they can patch the game, if it's online issues ONLY they can adjust there servers to fix the issues, also why could they not patch the game through a save file or something? Just because we do not have a HD like Sony or M$ we can save files to the Wii, why not a patch that gets attached to your online profile!?

How does M$ fix games for people who do not have a HD but play online!?

We? I thought you were an unbiased multi-console owner. Why are you aligning yourself with Nintendo as 'we'?

And nice use of 'M$' dorfdouche.

catfish said:
I learned from burnout 3 on xbox to never buy an ea game for its online component. They have a strange attitude of 'we do it better' and suck at it.

I thought it was a very smooth and fun game online... especially for the fast-paced gameplay of Burnout.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
No I'm not aligning myself with any console I own a PS3, 2 Wii's, a DS, PSP, and PC. I owned a 360 (3) times before I was fed up with the consoles durability and decided to step away from them until they fix the problem and the prices drop down.. So someday I will own the Ultra 360 but what im saying here is that EA should have fixed these issues, and if they can not patch them which we were told they are working on it in another thread.

Than they should do a recall and replace the game with proper code for free. Which Nintendo has done before.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
kay said:

It can't be fixed if it is indeed a code problem, no patch can be applied.
this has not been proven or disproven on the Wii... please don't spread mis-information. We obviously know the Wii can access flash memory in game. If EA put hooks into Madden Wii to allow for patching (which given the title's history of online cheating you'd think they would do) then the Wii wouldn't have any problem working with game patches.

Dorfdad said:
No I'm not aligning myself with any console I own a PS3, 2 Wii's, a DS, PSP, and PC. I owned a 360 (3) times before I was fed up with the consoles durability and decided to step away from them until they fix the problem and the prices drop down.. So someday I will own the Ultra 360 but what im saying here is that EA should have fixed these issues, and if they can not patch them which we were told they are working on it in another thread.

Than they should do a recall and replace the game with proper code for free. Which Nintendo has done before.

Codemasters did it too for bubble bobble on ds.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
kpop100 said:
You have a 360 and you were even considering the Wii version?
the Wii version really is EXTREMELY fun to play offline. one of the funnest games I've played on the system. if online wasn't f***ed I would personally say it is the definitive version of the game sans HD.

Top Bottom