• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD4 PS3/360 Comparison shots!

segarr

http://www.cod4forums.com/index.php?showtopic=220

Thanks to sionyboy, we now know that these shots are taken from completely different builds of the game.

Infinity Ward :
During development we frequently tweak the color balances in the levels to achieve the look and feel that we're shooting for. What you're seeing in these two videos are two completely different visual styles for the level that were tried. That's why the older 360 shot has a distinct blueish tint, while the more recent PS3 shot shows the more appropriate middle eastern feeling lighting.

You can also some differences in the geometry in the two shots. Broken walls, windows, etc... Every level goes through at least one "detail pass". The designers will rough in geometry and do a certain level of detail, but it's the environment artists that really make each level shine. The version of the level shown in the PS3 shot has been through one or two more detail passes than the one shown in the 360 shot. That said, all levels (single player and multi) use identical geometry and textures across all platforms. If nothing else, the shots show an interesting look at the evolution of a level.

False alarm, my apologies.

Its pointless looking at these things until the final game ships but I imagine this thread will reach 50 pages easy anyway

FFChris

Yes!! Comparison threads are awesome!

The 360 version certainally looks like it's missing a lot of textures.

Pre-Beta. They both look a bit arse at the moment, those can't be grabs from the frame buffer either?

Not that matters, massive thread to ensue.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I am not going to register for a COD4 forum. Thats retarded. Also, is this the first time a Ps3 version looks better than the 360 version?

Yoboman

Way different... You sure these aren't alpha vs. beta or something and he's just playing it off as PS3 vs. 360

Hammer24

Banned
It´s a trap!

tubber_cat.jpg

Yeah, and the fact that in every public event so far they've mainly showed the 360 version is clearly because it looks worse ;)

However next week I'll be at the COD4 party in Leipzig (the night of 22), and I hope they'll have both versions so they can be better compared.

segarr

AlternativeUlster said:
I am not going to register for a COD4 forum. Thats retarded. Also, is this the first time a Ps3 version looks better than the 360 version?

I didn't have to register....

But I just upped the images and posted them, so no need to click.

Dizzan

MINI Member
To be honest, I've thought it looked similar to COD3 since the first time I saw it. Of course it has updated/new animations and lighting system but the textures and overall look hasn't really had a huge impact on me. Some people are going on like it blows them away and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice and I will be picking it up day one (long time fan of the series) but these shots have just confirmed to me that it isn't as great as some people believe

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you don't get the impact of cod4's visuals in shots -- it's about all the chaos and the effects at 60fps. possibly the best graphics in a console game. though i wouldn't expect multiplayer to be as impressive as campaign.

FightyF

Banned
segarr said:
I think that the PS3 version clearly has the better textures/detail in these shots.

Well the maps in the PS3 version are further along in development.

I think it's possible that we're looking at 2 different versions...the 360 one being an older build.

Yoboman

Dizzan said:
To be honest, I've thought it looked similar to COD3 since the first time I saw it. Of course it has updated/new animations and lighting system but the textures and overall look hasn't really had a huge impact on me. Some people are going on like it blows them away and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice and I will be picking it up day one (long time fan of the series) but these shots have just confirmed to me that it isn't as great as some people believe
It's from multiplayer

Hammer24

Banned
segarr said:
I think that the PS3 version clearly has the better textures/detail in these shots.

STFURETARD.JPG

1. there is no need for more flamebait/system wars threads
2. if you must, at least compare finished products, not random bullshots

Umm, hopefully the same people saying the game looks total ass in shots, weren't praising it in vids.

We've already seen the game, it looks good.

As for the differences, considering other multi plats games, I cant see the ps3 version looking better at all...I think they will look identical

peace

segarr said:
It looks like PS3 version has more complete set and/or newer versions of textures that were intended. The 360 shots look like they are just plain old missing some of those textures at the moment. I think the PS3 build MP is ahead of the 360 MP build.

there's definitely less geometry in the background, but everything in the foreground is pretty much identical, and I prefer the washed out blue to the mucky yellow. whether this is indicative of anything in the finished product, who knows.

DrXym

I don't see the point of comparing two screens from pre-beta. Pre-beta means exactly that and for all anyone knows, the 360 was running an earlier version of the same level data.

Yoboman

Hammer24 said:
STFURETARD.JPG

1. there is no need for more flamebait/system wars threads
2. if you must, at least compare finished products, not random bullshots
Somebody's getting defensive

Shogmaster said:
It looks like PS3 version has more complete set and/or newer versions of textures that were intended. The 360 shots look like they are just plain old missing some of those textures at the moment. I think the PS3 build MP is ahead of the 360 MP build.

Saying that would mean you would know which and when these pics were taken. 360 pic could be off some time ago who knows.

Hammer24

Banned
Yoboman said:
Somebody's getting defensive

Dude, this is one of my most anticipated games of the year. I don´t care which platform these shots are from - but they are clearly from older build than footage we have seen recently.
No need to ruin the anticipation for this fine game with such an obvious flamebait thread!

Yoboman

Hammer24 said:
Dude, this is one of my most anticipated games of the year. I don´t care which platform these shots are from - but they are clearly from older build than footage we have seen recently.
No need to ruin the anticipation for this fine game with such an obvious flamebait thread!
There are threads like this for plenty of games, comparisons are bound to happen. I'm sure you haven't been in there preaching the same when it's usually against PS3

Hammer24

Banned
Yoboman said:
There are threads like this for plenty of games, comparisons are bound to happen. I'm sure you haven't been in there preaching the same when it's usually against PS3

Usually I try to stay away from threads like these, no matter what platform seems to have an edge. I simply don´t care.
But compairing shots taken not even from the finished products - thats new to me. And totally retarded.

segarr

I've changed the thread a bit, the title has remained the same though, if a mod can change it, it should be "COD4 PS3/360 Comparison shots - Older build."

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
That's just... odd. Must be two different builds of the game (and I don't mean platform builds duh).

Anyway seems pointless to discuss. I hope they end up as identical as infinity ward said in their GT interview. I just don't like multi-platform games being put down on one system, just bad for everyone.

tombur

segarr said:

Uhh, I'm guessing you have access to some higher res pictures? Cause man, I can't see shit on these.

Despite the fact people probably won't read this, these photos came from the official CoD4 forums. The guy there took screenshots from videos he found. Infinty Ward had this to say
Infinity Ward guy from their forums said:
During development we frequently tweak the color balances in the levels to achieve the look and feel that we're shooting for. What you're seeing in these two videos are two completely different visual styles for the level that were tried. That's why the older 360 shot has a distinct blueish tint, while the more recent PS3 shot shows the more appropriate middle eastern feeling lighting.

You can also some differences in the geometry in the two shots. Broken walls, windows, etc... Every level goes through at least one "detail pass". The designers will rough in geometry and do a certain level of detail, but it's the environment artists that really make each level shine. The version of the level shown in the PS3 shot has been through one or two more detail passes than the one shown in the 360 shot. That said, all levels (single player and multi) use identical geometry and textures across all platforms. If nothing else, the shots show an interesting look at the evolution of a level.

http://charlieoscardelta.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17360&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
(Reg Required)

Surreal

tombur said:
Uhh, I'm guessing you have access to some higher res pictures? Cause man, I can't see shit on these.

Look at the windows.

Either way, it's probably just an old build. Nothing to get riled up about.

edit; and the post from IW confirms it.

Top Bottom