• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD4 PS3/360 Comparison shots!

Goldrusher

Colors aside, the PS3 version does have more and better textures, more details as well as more shrubbery and trees.

But there simply is no reason to compare pre-alpha (!) screenshots.

sionyboy said:
Despite the fact people probably won't read this, these photos came from the official CoD4 forums. The guy there took screenshots from videos he found. Infinty Ward had this to say

I like the blueish tint though. :/ please give us a choice IW, like gears does. :D

Edit: GAF fails at reading once again. You were right.

Safe Bet

Banned
Dear GAF,

I care more about which 'features' each version offers over the other more than slight graphical differences between the two.

Dedicated Servers...

KB/M Support...

Achievments vs Tropohies...

Friend's List In-Game Access...

Etc...

With Love,
Safe Bet

Trout

Banned
it is from the admin of the site, but that site isn't the official one for COD4, so I guess that kind of negates the legitimacy of that admin, huh?

pswii60

Well, IW confirmed it. But seriously, if the PS3 version of the game was already looking that much better than the 360 game, they would demonstrated the PS3 game instead of the 360 game at E3.

Trout said:
it is from the admin of the site, but that site isn't the official one for COD4, so I guess that kind of negates the legitimacy of that admin, huh?

Wait, are you trying to say that CharlieOscarDelta.com, the official site for Cod4, a site run by Infinity Ward, the site whose name appears at the end of the CoD4 trailers is not the official site?

I was right, people can't read.

ant3b

This is so obvouisly a pre alpha and not ... come on as if they are going to leave so much texturs out and details??? people are stupid if they think these are the final build

FightyF

Banned
Infinity Ward said:
During development we frequently tweak the color balances in the levels to achieve the look and feel that we're shooting for. What you're seeing in these two videos are two completely different visual styles for the level that were tried. That's why the older 360 shot has a distinct blueish tint, while the more recent PS3 shot shows the more appropriate middle eastern feeling lighting.

You can also some differences in the geometry in the two shots. Broken walls, windows, etc... Every level goes through at least one "detail pass". The designers will rough in geometry and do a certain level of detail, but it's the environment artists that really make each level shine. The version of the level shown in the PS3 shot has been through one or two more detail passes than the one shown in the 360 shot. That said, all levels (single player and multi) use identical geometry and textures across all platforms. If nothing else, the shots show an interesting look at the evolution of a level.

FightyF said:
Well the maps in the PS3 version are further along in development.

I think it's possible that we're looking at 2 different versions...the 360 one being an older build.

Told ya so...neener neener

pswii60 said:
Well, IW confirmed it. But seriously, if the PS3 version of the game was already looking that much better than the 360 game, they would demonstrated the PS3 game instead of the 360 game at E3.
Pretty much. As others have stated, it's pointless looking at these screenshots when we've already seen video from an obviously newer build.

we had a staff member at the community event a week or so back where they had both versions up and running, both looked identical

these are from 2 different pre beta builds, game content including textures should be the same across both platforms

oldboy1

Banned
sionyboy said:
Wait, are you trying to say that CharlieOscarDelta.com, the official site for Cod4, a site run by Infinity Ward, the site whose name appears at the end of the CoD4 trailers is not the official site?

:lol

antiloop

meh. multiplatform games will always differ a bit. But these are just worlds a part and that will not happen.

Just as the dev said they are just from different stages in development. Although there will be differences in the end. But I expect them to be marginal.

ATI <> NVIDIA always have that small difference.

Dear GAF,

I care more about which 'features' each version offers over the other more than slight graphical differences between the two.

Dedicated Servers...

KB/M Support...

Etc...

With Love,
Safe Bet

I agree. Plus I want to try it out. Demo please.

DrXym

pswii60 said:

I don't think anything is that simple. Which platform you choose might boil down to stability and crasher bugs, or which codebase is easiest to turn around into a demo, or how many spare debug consoles you have lying around, or even which console is easier to burn a disc for (360 obviously). I don't think you can come to any conclusion of the final product based on which platform is chosen for demo purposes.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Originally Posted by Infinity Ward:
During development we frequently tweak the color balances in the levels to achieve the look and feel that we're shooting for. What you're seeing in these two videos are two completely different visual styles for the level that were tried. That's why the older 360 shot has a distinct blueish tint, while the more recent PS3 shot shows the more appropriate middle eastern feeling lighting.

You can also some differences in the geometry in the two shots. Broken walls, windows, etc... Every level goes through at least one "detail pass". The designers will rough in geometry and do a certain level of detail, but it's the environment artists that really make each level shine. The version of the level shown in the PS3 shot has been through one or two more detail passes than the one shown in the 360 shot. That said, all levels (single player and multi) use identical geometry and textures across all platforms. If nothing else, the shots show an interesting look at the evolution of a level.

Doesn't matter. The cat is out of the bag and this thread will go on for 50 pages of one camp claiming the superiority of their platform and the other one quoting developers that the pictures are from different builds. The quality of new threads on GAF are deteriorating. Fall can't come soon enough.

Safe Bet said:
Dear GAF,

Dedicated Servers...

KB/M Support...

Etc...

With Love,
Safe Bet

I can't imagine Activision deciding to fund dedicated servers on only one platform and not both. I'd expect both or neither.

Their biggest competitor (EA) funded dedicateds for Battlefield 2 on 360, maybe they'll rise to the occasion.

Gadfly said:
Doesn't matter. The cat is out of the bag and this thread will go on for 50 pages of one camp claiming the superiority of their platform and the other one quoting developers that the pictures are from different builds. The quality of new threads on GAF are deteriorating. Fall can't come soon enough.
Yes, my magic-ball says that in the page 53 of this thread someone reads the first post and posts how the superiority of PS3 is now confirmed. "take that xbots, blueray FTW!"

ex0du5

Banned
sionyboy said:

owned.gif

leehom

Lame. Every other post is someone making assumptions that people are going to jump in and make comparisons while the majority of the posts so far seem to be people trying to defend their preferred system of choice. :lol If the video "don't even care to watch them" was the other way around, I'm sure as hell all these "fans" would be gloating like crazy.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Sounds to me like the screens are taken from two totally different builds of the game with the PS3 version being the most recent build. Since Infinity Ward says the two are going to be identical, I say we end this thread. Unless, of course, Bishoptl is hungry....

Maybe the fact that the beta is limited instead of fully open like H3 is because they are using dedicated servers. If the game were all peer-based, it would require no additional effort to do an unrestricted beta.

Leewan

Hammer24 said:
STFURETARD.JPG

1. there is no need for more flamebait/system wars threads
2. if you must, at least compare finished products, not random bullshots

Couldn't you have used a more intimidating character in that pick.

Have any of you guys been answering the Trivia questions on the front page of the COD site? You guys know you have to answer three right, in order to be elligible for the Beta. Only one more question for me, and I should be golden. The new Trivia usually comes up on the site on Monday, or Tuesday nights.

Firewire

Banned
I don't care what build each one is from, they both look like crap. Why would they put this out there? We've seen some beautiful stuff on C.O.D.4, this just takes away from that.

Grecco

snack said:
Have any of you guys been answering the Trivia questions on the front page of the COD site? You guys know you have to answer three right, in order to be elligible for the Beta. Only one more question for me, and I should be golden. The new Trivia usually comes up on the site on Monday, or Tuesday nights.

The Beta Trivia hasnt started, thats another seperate trivia actually.

only difference I've noticed between both builds thus far is the lack of AA displayed in the "E3 Playstation3 Sizzle" video, available on PSN....

...on a different note, really hope I can get the trivia questions right =/

Top Bottom