• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Final Fantasy 4 DS Famitsu scans [Aug 22]

typhonsentra said:
:lol That artwork of Kain and Cecil is so, so bad. Some things are better left to the imagination I guess. The spite art didn't bother me as much because it was hard to tell what they were going for.

WHAT

d+pad

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The ponce with the harp? That's Edward/Gilbert the "Spoony Bard".

That's a rather odd party combination btw. I don't think I've ever seen all five of those characters together.

Ha! I completely forgot about him (and for good reason!)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Looks incredible. Seems like they are going to spruce up the cut-scenes quite a lot too judging by those storyboards. Everything looks so grand.. it's as if Square went back to the drawing board of PSX days.

Cannot wait for FFV and FFVI.

And can you fools crying over FFVI not being next-gen kindly fuck off? Go lament your woes in another thread.

ex0du5

Banned
Error said:
isnt FF6 already on a handheld tho? and with chibi characters to boot.

They have mature faces...I don't consider them chibi :D.

Final Fantasy VI is a serious enough game that it shouldn't be made to look incredibly childish like III and IV DS.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ex0du5 said:
They have mature faces...I don't consider them chibi :D.

Final Fantasy VI is a serious enough game that it shouldn't be made to look incredibly childish like III and IV DS.
headhit.gif

Deku

Banned
I like the unified style. Dragoon and Dark Knight is eminently recognizable from their FFXI job counterparts.

DRKRA.jpg

DRGRA.jpg

NeoForte

Deku said:
I like the unified style. Dragoon and Dark Knight is eminently recognizable from their FFXI job counterparts.

DRKRA.jpg

DRGRA.jpg

Well armor designs change depending on the game. Though FFXI AFs are based on previous character's armor, in this case Cecil and Kain, cause in FFIII remake the armors had different designs and colors on them. But yea at least the style is somewhat unified.

Tha being said....HOLY S-! this game looks more awesome with every new scan. I really can't wait for this (and the DQ remakes).

Chris FOM

So a while back I picked up FF IVa but have yet to play through it (never played the game on the SNES either). With this coming is there even any point to playing the game on the GBA, or should I just hold out for the DS version?

NeoForte

Chris FOM said:
So a while back I picked up FF IVa but have yet to play through it (never played the game on the SNES either). With this coming is there even any point to playing the game on the GBA, or should I just hold out for the DS version?

I would just hold out. This is probably the best version of the game being made.

ethelred said:
Huh?
From the moment where you rescue Yang on the mountain until you reach Fabul Castle during the Red Wing attack, that's the party you have. So granted they're not together long, but it is obligatory.

I was mulling over that section in my head. I swear it wasn't even five minutes of the game but dammit you're right.

My memory has failed me yet again.

JayDubya said:
I don't hate job system FF games, but it's definitely not an advancement mechanic I favor - unless there's some sort of restrictions or trees involved, you just wind up with wholly identical characters. Of course, I have this same same gripe with FFVII and VIII and X and XII.

I don't know a lot about FFXII International's Zodiac Job system, but from what I know of it, it seems like a form of job system I could get behind.

I hope I'm not sounding contradictory, biased or anything there, since FF5 was never all that much about the characters, I was able to get behind the concept of assigning job roles to the characters as I pleased.

Anyways, I'm hoping that the theoretical FF6 remake won't come up in development until the next generation DS unless SE decides to remake it for the PSP or one of the home consoles. FF6 is the rare old-school game I'd like to see get a more cinematic treatment, in addition to any potential gameplay contemporizations.

cvxfreak

Man I can't wait to see the cutscenes, such as:

attack of Damcyan
Palom and Porom turn into stone
Tellah vs Golbez
the Giant of Babel vs. the world

:D :D :D

Deku

Banned
NeoForte said:
Well armor designs change depending on the game. Though FFXI AFs are based on previous character's armor, in this case Cecil and Kain, cause in FFIII remake the armors had different designs and colors on them. But yea at least the style is somewhat unified.

Tha being said....HOLY S-! this game looks more awesome with every new scan. I really can't wait for this (and the DQ remakes).

I listed the tier 2 relics armor obtained later. Here's the original tier 1 armor that is quested.

NewDRKAF.jpg

Drachen_Armor_Set.JPG

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Still don't understand why all of these RPGs need to be 3D on the DS. The system can pull off some very beautiful 2D. For what it is though, it looks very good.

Tristam

As much as I love FFIV (probably my third favorite Final Fantasy game), I'm not sure how much more I can stomach, even a 3Dmake. Although I only had one Alarm, I got three Pink Tails the last time I played it. I think that's all that needs to be said.

TreIII

Mgoblue201 said:
Still don't understand why all of these RPGs need to be 3D on the DS. The system can pull off some very beautiful 2D. For what it is though, it looks very good.

Probably because if no one at least tried to do some decent 3D on the system once in a while, we'd go back to the days of people mocking the system for thinking it's incapable of such.

Hopefully, S-RPGs won't be the only type of RPGs that can stand to be in 2D. Even though Revenant Wings & Heroes of Mana disappointed me in some ways, I would like to see more SE games try and utilize a similar graphics engine to its own effect.

Baryn

Banned
Hopefully the cutscenes in this remake don't suck shit like they did in FFIII.

edit: That goes double for the touchscreen support.

NeoForte

Baryn said:
Hopefully the cutscenes in this remake don't suck shit like they did in FFIII.

edit: That goes double for the touchscreen support.

Touchscreen in FFIII wasn't so bad. And the thing about the cutscenes was there weren't that many cinematic/dramatic scenes in the original and thus this remake being true to that had little cutscenes that didn't do much. FFIV is much much more cutscene driven, so I expect a lot from this game in that department (and from the looks of it, its going to deliver).

Deku: Yea I know that was AF2. I have played FFXI for 4 years hehe I was just saying the designs for FFXI AF armors were based on previous armors worn by FF characters. Cecil and Kain are those for DRK and DRG, :p

Why are people dissing FFIII? It was awesome.

This looks great too, I love the overall look. I'm pretty comfortable with the character proportions too, now. That comparison pic really made me believe it was a good way to remake the game and give it a facelift without losing much of the charm of the sprites. They really weren't kidding when they said they were going for that same look.

duckroll

Looks really awesome. I skipped over FF3 DS, and FF4 is remotely a favorite of mine, but this remake looks really, really awesome. It's also nice to finally see Tokita directing something good again for a change. :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Segata Sanshiro said:
I think the "hair" is part of their helms. I see Baryn's in here doing his usual jobby.
You can see it better from the back on the second scan:

ex0du5

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Because they want to remake the good games first.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Top Bottom