• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii Fit release date?

basik

just got this from amazon:

We have received new release date information related to your
pre-ordered video game in the order you placed on September 05 2007 18:54 PDT
(Order#xxxxx). The release date
for the video game listed below has been changed by the publisher, and
we want to provide you with a
new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

"Wii Fit" [Video Game]
Release date: 02/01/2008
Estimated arrival date: 02/06/2008 - 02/07/2008

it used to be Shipping estimate for these items: January 2, 2008

Bluecondor

I think it is a strategic blunder on Nintendo's part to not release this game before Christmas in the U.S.

If you release the game before Christmas (preferably before Thanksgiving), this would be one of those must-have items that lots of people would want for Christmas. For many of the few million people in the U.S. who own a Wii, this $70 game would be a great Christmas gift. And, you know that there would be many people who would want a Wii for Christmas, simply to be able to get Wii Fit.

Beyond this, I think Wii Fit will be most useful during the winter months, when you can't go outside and exercise. February 1 is almost too late, because it is at the end of winter. Although, you really start to get Spring fever by then, so there will be a lot of people who will be looking to start exercising again after the winter.

Still though - this would have been a great game/system seller for the Wii if it released before Christmas. I just wonder if it will have as much of an impact being released in February.

dogbowl

Bluecondor said:
I think it is a strategic blunder on Nintendo's part to not release this game before Christmas in the U.S.

Right, They need something to help get those Wiis out the door. Nintendos having a hard time moving that system.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bluecondor said:

Maybe they think they're all set software-wise for the Holidays and are just saving this up for a quieter period. Probably a good move.

donny2112

"Wii Fit" [Video Game]
Release date: 02/01/2008
Estimated arrival date: 02/06/2008 - 02/07/2008

It's probably another placeholder date, but if it does come in February, Nintendo will push it for Valentine's Day.

"Honey I got you Wii Fit!"
*dodges book*
"No, I don't think you're fat!"

zigg

Don't recall the last time NOA released anything on a Friday. I'll wait for the official update.

But yeah, not for Christmas? Dumb. Nintendo should be pushing out some new Wii * title every holiday.

koam

WiiFit will prevent this game from selling well.

Edit: Damnit zigg, your avatar haunts me! I hate when it says "Please Win" and then there's a paper. PAPER? Paper can't beat anything, especially not rock!

I don't really want Nintendo to win this gen so early (even if from a reliable source
that means a book
PS3 has fail) so it's nice if they don't release it before christmas.
Also i don't think it's a good St Valentine's day present.
My gf will kick me !

169001453_34e8fda294.jpg

Bluecondor

dogbowl said:
Right, They need something to help get those Wiis out the door. Nintendos having a hard time moving that system.

I'm not saying that they need this to sell more systems (although - you have to admit - even Miyamoto said that one of the main objectives behind this game was to help Nintendo expand the market to more non-gamer segments).

My point is that something like this just makes sense as a "hot toy" type item that you see before Christmas. It would get tons of media coverage as one of the hot toys, and lots of people would put this on their Christmas list, simply because they played Wii Sports and enjoyed it.

I just don't see the marketing logic of releasing this on February 1st, unless as others have stated, there are already too many Wii games being released at Christmas, and comparatively fewer games being released in the Winter.

When is the Japanese release date? I seem to remember seeing that it is being released in November in Japan. Maybe this game is such a sure thing in Japan, and it can't be finished until November, so Japan in November and the U.S. in February is the way to go.

felipeko

zigg said:
Don't recall the last time NOA released anything on a Friday. I'll wait for the official update.

But yeah, not for Christmas? Dumb. Nintendo should be pushing out some new Wii * title every holiday.
What about Wii Music?
Will we hear about it at TGS maybe?

basik

I think they want to have more Wii's available so casuals can watch the Wii Fit infomercial on Oprah then go out and buy.

Early January is a perfect time to release this product so they can maximize on the "New Years Resolutions" nonsense people fall prey to.

It gets me wondering, though, about the size of Wii Fit's potential audience in comparison to the number of new gym memberships. If this is a big enough hit, would the fitness industry see less people joining at the beginning of the year? If so, they will not be happy as that is how they make the majority of their money.

TunaLover

mmmh I'm little worried for the balance board battery consume, I mean we already need 2x batteries for each Wiimote, optinal batteries for Wavebird. The board uses 4 AA batteries, I hope they're long lasting.

HomShaBom

Banned
TunaLover said:
mmmh I'm little worried for the balance board battery consume, I mean we already need 2x batteries for each Wiimote, optinal batteries for Wavebird. The board uses 4 AA batteries, I hope they're long lasting.
If they run out you can blame Wii Fit.

dionysus

Yaldog
Excellent, we now have an extra month before the industry self-destructs and Popcap Games buys out EA, Ubi, SCE, Microsoft GS, and Take2.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
This thread needs a more sensationalist title, something like "Death of gaming delayed, alpha moms crying in pain"...

Arde5643

dionysus said:
Excellent, we now have an extra month before the industry self-destructs and Popcap Games buys out EA, Ubi, SCE, Microsoft GS, and Take2.
051014_burns_vmed_3p.widec.jpg

Can someone photoshop Iwata's or Miyamoto's smiling face here?

You kids are funny.

4vgsbjl.jpg

This is a hardcore gamer.

Don't believe me?

Try playing a motion based game with arthritis, fake hips or knees, painfully sagging tits, lessened sensitivity to touch, and impaired balance.

This is the new face of hardcore.

Bluecondor said:

If you release the game before Christmas (preferably before Thanksgiving), this would be one of those must-have items that lots of people would want for Christmas. For many of the few million people in the U.S. who own a Wii, this $70 game would be a great Christmas gift. And, you know that there would be many people who would want a Wii for Christmas, simply to be able to get Wii Fit.

Beyond this, I think Wii Fit will be most useful during the winter months, when you can't go outside and exercise. February 1 is almost too late, because it is at the end of winter. Although, you really start to get Spring fever by then, so there will be a lot of people who will be looking to start exercising again after the winter.

Still though - this would have been a great game/system seller for the Wii if it released before Christmas. I just wonder if it will have as much of an impact being released in February.

They're going to sell evey Wii they ship this holiday period with or without Wii Fit. Using Wii Fit to keep up the holiday momentum just as it looks like slipping is a wise move imo.

pswii60

Jocchan said:

Fucking brilliant :lol

CreatureX3 said:
Damn straight! :D

wiifit.jpg

Just hold that position for me please. While I slightly loosen you belt. And undo your top button. And now I'm just going to slowly pull down your zip. That's good, hold it. And your knickers.

GameGamer

Count Dookkake said:
Try playing a motion based game with arthritis, fake hips or knees, painfully sagging tits, lessened sensitivity to touch, and impaired balance.

I have 3 out of those 5.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
All I see in that pic of the girl in Tree position is a great opportunity for red, blue, yellow, and green guy.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
is this a new release date

no there never was a release date

let me tell nintendo via you what I think the release date should be

HylianTom

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
so this software will end the war ?

Yes. About five seconds before midnight on the eve of this game's release, one of the gaming gods will descend from heaven and instruct Nintendo: "FINISH HIM!"

Hitmeneer

Jocchan said:

Damn that's too much :lol :lol
Personally I'm not waiting on WiiFit, because I already do a lot of sports but it will probably sell great just like Brain Training (and yes Oprah probably will promote it to, so xx million seller confirmed).

Top Bottom