• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC-Engine CD-ROM2 games coming to VC

manzo

Virtual Console is starting to get PC-Engine Super CD-ROM2 and CD-ROM2 games in October, for 800 points each. Starting with 5 titles in 2007, 10 in 2008.

http://release.nikkei.co.jp/detail.cfm?relID=170238&lindID=1

Very nice. edit: Worldwide.

First releases -seem- to be Ys Book 1 & 2 and Chou Aniki.

1189753387499.jpg

Close if old.

edit: Yes people, we might see Akumajo Dracula X - Chi no Rinne / Rondo of Blood soon.

PolyGone

Banned
Sharp said:
Man Virtual Console is getting pretty awesome yet again.

it must be incredibly lucrative for everyone involved. ;)

VOOK said:
What the fuck son, CD? HDD here we come

modern compression techniques can do wonders for those old games... especially when the only reason they're on cd to begin with is for cd audio or lame cinematics

creamsugar

2007年10月より、日本、北米、欧州、豪州で順次開始する予定です

It's a worldwide release, not only in Japan.

Izzy

Banned
That's just awesome. PC-Engine CD-ROM2 had a lot of great SHMUPs - hopefully they'll make even the obscure ones available for the download.

manzo

They're probably going to compress the audio tracks to MP3s. That way most of the PC Engine CD games take around 50-130 megs of space.

The data tracks of PCE CD games were from 1 meg to 30. Some bigger games, like Tengai Makyou Manjimaru and Tenchi Muyo were around 120-150 megs.

Also, the CDs usually had dual data tracks: warning audio-data-(game music)-data. Some Nihon Telenet games had around 60 data tracks, but compressing these made the game data around 10 megs.

Space is not going to be a problem.

Jiggy

Spectacular! TG16 has already been my second favorite system on VC (discovering it as something completely new to me), and this just makes it better.
Time to get a rundown of everything I should care about. :D Tomorrow, at least, when I'm not tired.

camineet

Banned
this was announced over a year ago. was wondering what happened to support for the CD-ROM2 family. maybe soon i can play Neo Nectaris (Military Madness 2), Spriggan Mark 2 and Rayxanber III and Dracula X on my Wii.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Either they are going to be supremely compressed or Ninty are about to announce a HD add-on for the Wii, still, awesome stuff.

manzo

creamsugar said:
It's a worldwide release, not only in Japan.

The US releases were shit, excluding Ys 1-3 and Cosmic Fantasy 2. Japan had so many insanely awesome releases... that we're not going to see on VC in US and Europe.

DMczaf

The user chooses the game title of the taste with the shopping channel of Wii, downloads by way of Internet. In the payment the credit card and the Wii point prepaid card (sale) you can utilize from Nintendo Co. Price per 1 download “of PC engine CD-ROM2” “PC engine super CD-ROM2” business title has planned from the 800Wii point.

manzo

DavidDayton said:
Rondo of Blood time!

Er, what else was on the Turbo CD?

The Ys series, Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden series, fucking awesome shooters x150, gazillion of good games. These were Japan only. :(

meppi

Holy shit! The fantastic news just keeps on coming! :-O

Next up Sega Saturn games to finally get all the great Japanese only games released everywhere, with reprints of the original releases. ;)

manzo

BUT YES KONAMI

AKUMAJO DRACULA X - CHI NO RINNE

NOW

I MEAN IT

Also, Sapphire please. I don't want to pay 200$ for the original. :(

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Countdown before idle speculation of Sega CD support, just so the masses can get their hands on Snatcher.

VALIS

Is there any way to download Japan games on a US account/Wii? Because you know they're not gonna bother translating some of these to release in the West.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
YS BOOK!

This gives me a glimmer of hope that we may see Snatcher, depending on Konami and their decision to translate it either directly or via Sega CD script.

soco

DavidDayton said:
Rondo of Blood time!

Er, what else was on the Turbo CD?

Ys 1,2, and 3.
Dungeon Explorer 2
Cotton
Exile 1 & 2
Gates of THunder
Lords of THunder
Shadow of hte Beast
Sapphire
Super Air Zonk
and the Valis games

(there's tons of others but thos are some of the hilights)

soco said:
Ys 1,2, and 3.
Dungeon Explorer 2
Cotton
Exile 1 & 2
Gates of THunder
Lords of THunder
Shadow of hte Beast
Sapphire
Super Air Zonk
and the Valis games

(there's tons of others but thos are some of the hilights)

You mention the Ys series, yet overlook the PCE CD version of 4, Dawn of Ys?

Star Parodia and Gradius II, the latter of which includes a bonus level in its Duo format, would be great. And if they translate it, River City Ransom.

Jiggy

I know pretty much nothing about Ys except that screenshot there, but it's enough to convince me I'm probably doomed to buy it.

That and about a billion space shooters. Give me my space shooters, the genre that never, ever should have died. They can probably be released untranslated too, like that Super Picross game, which just increases their odds.

soco

cartman414 said:
You mention the Ys series, yet overlook the PCE CD version of 4, Dawn of Ys?

as far as i can remember IV was never translated officially and as such it probably won't be transated and released outside of japan on the VC.

Hell yeah! Between this and the recent imports showing up in Europe, they're finally exploring the potential of VC a little better. I like it.

I just hope the "worldwide" part isn't a mistake. And that a few of the non-English games do actually see a translation. But for now, awesome news.

Jonnyram

Games Watch says 5+ games this year, 10+ games next year.
I never had a PC-Engine or CD-ROM so this is excellent news for me.
Maybe we'll get the infamous Don Doko Don sometime soon.

Jiggy

soco said:
Ys 1,2, and 3.
Dungeon Explorer 2
Cotton
Exile 1 & 2
Gates of THunder
Lords of THunder
Shadow of hte Beast
Sapphire
Super Air Zonk
and the Valis games
*looks over YouTube*

Sapphire - My mind's bursting from the awesome. :eek: Would be a definite buy.

Super Air Zonk - I prefer vertical shooters, but oh man the music. OH MAN the music. Couldn't skip this.

Mugen Senshi Valis - Okay, she runs slow, but other than that it looks quality. Also, she's a schoolgirl fighting evil in a 2D sidescroller and a game like that would have to be really awful to get me to not buy it for eight bucks.

I'm too tired to go on for now, but this is looking very promising. :D

TJ Spyke

We've already known that TurboGrafx CD games would be on the Virtual Console since Hudson Soft announced it a long time ago. It's nice to get confirmation that it will be worldwide and to get a price.

Top Bottom