• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC-Engine CD-ROM2 games coming to VC

Jiggy37 said:
*looks over YouTube*

Sapphire - My mind's bursting from the awesome. :eek: Would be a definite buy.

Super Air Zonk - I prefer vertical shooters, but oh man the music. OH MAN the music. Couldn't skip this.

Mugen Senshi Valis - Okay, she runs slow, but other than that it looks quality. Also, she's a schoolgirl fighting evil in a 2D sidescroller and a game like that would have to be really awful to get me to not buy it for eight bucks.

I'm too tired to go on for now, but this is looking very promising. :D

Sapphire was rare and had awesome visuals, but by various accounts wasn't earth-shattering. Valis is a solid, if at times very hardcore series. Valis 2 and 3 were released domestically on both the Genesis and Turbo CD, and Atlus brought over the SNES version of Valis IV, which was quite different from the PCE Duo version.

I would also love to see Syd Mead's Terraforming and the uber rare in the US Duo version of Monster World, Dynastic Hero.

legend166

Surely at this stage, Nintendo is going to announce some sort of storage solution.

In fact, I bet that's going to be the September surprise or whatever.

This is Hudson so I have no doubt that they will bring over most of the games. I doubt they will translate RPGs though so we can probably forget Ys.

Sweet! Ys FTW!!!!!! Seriously anyone who hasn't played this game definitely needs to!

AndyMoogle said:
This is Hudson so I have no doubt that they will bring over most of the games. I doubt they will translate RPGs though so we can probably forget Ys.

Ys was already translated and released here back in the day, so we have a good shot of getting it.

CTLance

legend166 said:
Surely at this stage, Nintendo is going to announce some sort of storage solution.

In fact, I bet that's going to be the September surprise or whatever.
I'm with you on this. I don't think they'll allow their revenue to run dry due to inconvenience. And yes, it IS inconvenient to retransfer your game every time you feel like it. Makes future purchases less likely.

manzo

CTLance said:
I'm with you on this. I don't think they'll allow their revenue to run dry due to inconvenience. And yes, it IS inconvenient to retransfer your game every time you feel like it. Makes future purchases less likely.

Nintendo should just support USB HDDs. This would remove all the space issues.

manzo

DCharlie said:
man - i better start selling my retro stuff whilst it's still worth something!

I'm the opposite. I'm just itching to buy a real Sapphire for anything below 100$ :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
OMFG Ys on my Wii...
OMFG Ys on my Wii...
OMFG Ys on my Wii...
OMFG Ys on my Wii...
OMFG Ys on my Wii...
OMFG Ys on my Wii...
OMFG Ys on my Wii...
OMFG Ys on my Wii...
OMFG Ys on my Wii...

I cannot believe this.

The good news? Ys I, II, and III are all already translated. The bad news? Ys III isn't that great, and Ys IV, one of the best in the series, was never translated.

Link1110

Awesome. TGCD is one of the most underrated systems ever.

I hope they do Super CDRom 2 next. I wonder how far along WD's Cosmic Fantasy 3 translation was. Maybe they can put that up on VC. Come to think of it, wasn't Dracula X Super CDRom 2, also?

manzo

Link1110 said:
Awesome. TGCD is one of the most underrated systems ever.

I hope they do Super CDRom 2 next. I wonder how far along WD's Cosmic Fantasy 3 translation was. Maybe they can put that up on VC. Come to think of it, wasn't Dracula X Super CDRom 2, also?

Super CDROM2 has already been announced. The only thing that hasn't been announced is Acrade CDROM2 games.. though they propably will be added without anyone noticing.. since AC was only System Card 3.00 with added memory.

TGCD wasn't underrated. The games USA got weren't that good. The PC Engine CD-ROM2 games that the western world never got were insanely awesome.

Rondo of Blood would make my day.

But Blazing Lazers would be the icing on the cake. That'd be like, game over man, game over. Just like how much I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly ...

Tim the Wiz said:
But Blazing Lazers would be the icing on the cake. That'd be like, game over man, game over. Just like how much I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly ...

Is there a CD version of Blazing Lazers? Because BL is already on the US and PAL virtual consoles.

CTLance

IzumiK said:
Why Chou Aniki? It rivals Tingle in terms of questioning the sexual orientation of the player. >_<
The question is "WHY NOT?".
While the rather aggressive homoeroticism of Cho Aniki freaks me out I will get this game. It's not like I'll suddenly "love teh sausage" just for playing a videogame featuring burly, sweaty men in revealing clothing. They won't come out of the TV and do unspeakable things to me
and let it be known that THANK GOD am I ever grateful for that
It's just a game, have fun with it. :D

manzo

IzumiK said:
Why Chou Aniki? It rivals Tingle in terms of questioning the sexual orientation of the player. >_<

Bah. The original Chou Aniki is pretty tame when compared to Ai Chou Aniki and Muteki Ginga Saikyou Otoko.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
YAY!

As well as the usual Dracula X, Gate Of Thunder and Winds/Lords of Thunder, these please:

pcenexzr.JPG

necstarparodia.jpg

Both by the Super Star Soldier team, and the 2 best vertical shoot-em-ups on the system. Amazing 2 and 5 minute highscore modes (Summer Carnival version of Nexzr), with loads of secret bonuses/combo bonuses.

Star Parodia even pulled off parallax and SNES-style mode7 effects.

ari

Banned
manzo said:
Most of these games can be aquired from ebay for a dollar though. :/

or 5 dollars for a quick download, 480p support,classic controller functionality,and convenience.

LaneDS

Very awesome. If the PSP Castlevania wasn't so close this would be even more exciting (assuming it has a chance to get localized), but it's still damn cool.

manzo said:
Most of these games can be aquired from ebay for a dollar though. :/

Cheapest prices I see on ebay right now for a bunch of the games mentioned in this thread:
Lords of Thunder $17.99
Ys "Buy it now" complete sets start at $50, but none of the auctions, starting at $1, have any bids, so the market price is inconclusive.
Cho Aniki $43.99
Dracula X $76(buy it now for $120)
Gate of Thunder $10(auction with no bids)-$30(buy it now)
Nexzr $49.99
Star Parodier $26.90
Sapphire unavailable but non-pirate copies generally go for $400
Super Air Zonk $41.00
Valis $27.95
Valis 2 $0.84
Valis 3 $11.99
Valis 4 $15

manzo

ari said:
or 5 dollars for a quick download, 480p support,classic controller functionality,and convenience.

This is debatebale. I prefer the games in their original 224p or 240p. This is the greatest thing that the VC offers.

Shame that it's not possible with component.

manzo

leroy hacker said:
Cheapest prices I see on ebay right now for a bunch of the games mentioned in this thread:
Lords of Thunder $17.99
Ys "Buy it now" complete sets start at $50, but none of the auctions, starting at $1, have any bids, so the market price is inconclusive.
Cho Aniki $43.99
Dracula X $76(buy it now for $120)
Gate of Thunder $10(auction with no bids)-$30(buy it now)
Nexzr $49.99
Star Parodier $26.90
Sapphire unavailable but non-pirate copies generally go for $400
Super Air Zonk $41.00
Valis 2 $0.84

Whoa, prices sure have climbed since I last bought PCE CD games from there.

Oh well.. in Japan then at least. Lots of 200-400 yen PCE CD games there. :p

Awesome news. I'm not familiar with the PCE-CD library but it's good news for even further support.

I think the Ultimate Awesome thread needs a theme song or something.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Oh well.. in Japan then at least. Lots of 200-400 yen PCE CD games there.

there were a lot of very poor PCE CD games though!

the good ones still tend to cost

Nuclear Muffin said:
SD Card channel support confirmed!

The press release says nothing about this.

It does, however, say that there are at least 5 titles due in 2007 and over 10 in 2008. They'll be 800 Wii Points each.

koam

I think nintendo is going to start supporting usb HDDs, usb thumbdrives and ipods. Them making their own HDD would surprise me though.

jarrod

Banned
I want Ys, but Hundson needs to fix their Turbo image rendering!

Neutopia and Dragon's Curse have been mocking me, but I just don't wanna play through vaseline. :(

Top Bottom