• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I got a DS Lite for 1 buck

Xenon

stacker-stackerclub.jpg

Thanks to the Stacker amusment game =) I was able to get it on my first dollar. I have a few questions.

Wasn't there a Zuma like game on the DS? How is it?(wife loves Zuma)

Any games that would be good for a girl who just turned three?

Also what is the one game you consider a MUST own on the system?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
WTF, lucky bastard. I tried that thing once and I failed like at the 4th block. I totally suck. Some guy on my campus has won like 3 things from it...

rezuth

Wario64 said:
WTF, lucky bastard. I tried that thing once and I failed like at the 4th block. I totally suck. Some guy on my campus has won like 3 things from it...
Most are pre-set and only lets you succed every twelte time or so. If you're good enough to be able to pass it that is. Although this could have changed recently, I have atleast made those with a settnings such as the one previously mentioned by me for a amusment park in Sweden.

I know someone who won a DS on a stacker and I tried for a week (every time I was in the pub) to win one myself...

it turns out you're very lucky. I hear the lowest default configuration for this thing puts the odds of winning the top prize at 800 to 1. For the likes of DS' and other game systems, they probably ratched up those odds even more!

Ashhong said:
How does the stacker game work? I want to try it...is it like tetris or something?

Blocks of light whizz back and forth horizontally and you push the button to stop them. You have to line up your blocks so that they stack together perfectly. If you're a block over, you lose that block and it becomes harder to stack. It's a reflex game really.

However, this thing is pretty much rigged. If it's not going to pay out, the machine will simply not register your button presses properly, or the blocks will seem to jump erratically in the latter stages. Its designed so the first few milestones (for crappy prizes) are really easy too... the owners manual is online somewhere actually.

I wasted 10 dollars on that trying to get a pack of 4 360 games. When i went back a week later....they lowered the price to play by a fucking dollar.

«þ»

According to wiki:

The game is based purely on skill and reflexes until the last row, which can be rigged so that anywhere from one in twenty to one in eight hundred players actually have a chance at winning. The last two rows are set to be much more challenging, and although people can frequently reach and clear the second to last line (reaching and surpassing the "Minor Prize" level in the process), the last line is by far the most difficult and rigged of the game. The very last block will move at lightning speed, and players may even press the button at the right moment, only to have the block move over an extra square and make them lose. Once the machine has enough money in it (usually $600), the last block will no longer be rigged.

SRG01

Ferrio said:
I can nearly always get to the last row, but the fucker then cheats and won't let me win.

I seriously believe that the machine is rigged.

I can see my block stop on the right spot on the last row, but it just "moves" over a quarter second later. It's very obvious because it's done at a different speed.

edit: To the above post: wow, that's really informative.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
«þ» said:
According to wiki:
So true.

I raped at this game, and magically sucked at the top level.

Literally locked the blocks in line on the first pass, and yet on the top level somehow lost all my reaction time?

So awful that things like this are rigged. Should be illegal.

Xenon

RubxQub said:
So true.

I raped at this game, and magically sucked at the top level.

Literally locked the blocks in line on the first pass, and yet on the top level somehow lost all my reaction time?

So awful that things like this are rigged. Should be illegal.

Yes, I have played before and always seemed to fail at the last bar. I was at the place for bday party. We we're about to leave and I saw the machine and had one dollar in my wallet. It was some serious luck that I was able to hit. I think that the game waits to recover at least double the cost of the item before it will even give out a prize.

Magnetica is the game thanks TheGreatDave. Ill prob pick this up.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Joe Molotov said:
Those things are impossible to win on, I don't believe you. :lol

Some guy here has won at least 3 times, I shit you not. They take a pic of the winners here and the dude has won a DS Lite, iPod and a PSP. Lucky bitch

BTW, Magnetica is awesome. Although some puzzles later on get annoying, like having to blow in the mic.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Here goes the must-have DS list:
-Phoenix Wright 1 and 2 (and 3 when it gets released)
-Advance Wars (== no life for a year+)
-Castlevania 1 and 2 (1 is better)
-Mario Kart DS
-Oendan 1, 2 and Elite Beat Agents (you will destroy the touch screen with these)
-Kirby Canvas Curse
-Picross DS (toilet fun! :D )

Your girl DS list:
-Nintendogs
-Magnetica
-Tetris
-Clubhouse Games
-Animal Crossing Wild World
-Zoo Keeper

Your Dad DS list:
-Brain Age 1 and 2 (mainly for the intuitive Sudoku game)
-NY Times Crosswords

Your kids/stupid little brother DS list
-Pokemon Diamond/Ruby (it's the same game; buy Diamond, it's the one for men)
-Lunar Knights
-Megaman Starforce (crap, but kids like it... I think)
-Custom Robo Arena

Optional (not so great games but good enough or to specific games) DS list
-Sonic Rush
-Age of Empires (if you loved Advance Wars)
-New Super Mario Bros
-Super Princess Peach (too easy, but good level design)
-Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
-Megaman ZX
-Etrian Odyssey (for masochists... really old school RPG)
-Puzzle Quest (RPG + bejeweled)
-Yoshi's Island 2 (good platformer, but nowhere near the original)
-Final Fantasy 3 (Not FF 6!)
-Trauma Center (love it or hate it)
-Mario vs DK 2 (lemmings DS?)
-Bomberman (any, its for the multiplayer)
-Tony Hawk American Skateland (the "other" Wi-Fi game)
-Pac N' Roll

On radar DS games:
-Phoenix Wright 3
-Apollo Justice (== Phoenix Wright 4 without Phoenix Wright)
-Zelda Phantom hourglass
-Contra 4
-Dragon Quest Monsters Joker
-Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6 remakes
-Dragon Quest IX
-Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6 remakes
-Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles Rings of Fate
-Vision Training
-Common sense training :D (just for the laugh)
-Professor Layton 1, 2 and eventually 3
-Sonic Rush Adventure (Sonic bashing time!!)
-Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (if you are That kind of people =P)
-Metroid Dread (believe)
-Front Mission
-Dementium: The Ward
-Ninja Gaiden
-Geometry Wars
-Mario Party DS
-Ultimate Card Games (GBA one was great)
-Dragon's Lair
-Myst DS
-Advance Wars 2
-ASH
-Bioware Sonic RPG (it's Bioware =) ... but its Sonic =( )

Games I have not played yet, but might be good:
-Planet Puzzle league
-Hotel Dusk
-Metroid Prime Pinball
-Bleach DS
-Jump Super Stars/Ultimate Stars
-DQ Rocket Slime
-Worms: Open Warfire 2

Wow... DS is the best gaming system ever.
Forgive me if I missed any game.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know, if the game IS rigged, it's a game of chance (not skill) and therefore illegal in most parts of the country, as it's gambling.

Anyone have a link to that owner's manual?

Xenon

I fogot about the new Picross. I loved the first one and yes 99% of playtime was on the can :lol

wario64 said:
TW, Magnetica is awesome. Although some puzzles later on get annoying, like having to blow in the mic.

WTF seriously? So it doesnt follow the same format through out the game?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Xenon said:
WTF seriously? So it doesnt follow the same format through out the game?

Well the first batch of levels are pretty normal stuff. Flick the ball to clear the levels. Then the game gets exotic and adds certain elements to make it harder. The blowing the mic then I'm referring to is when puzzles have these clouds floating over the playfield, and you have to blow in the mic to remove the clouds. Then the clouds reappear like 20 seconds later and you have to blow into the mic to clear the screen. Gets rather annoying.

The other annoying obstacle are those damn electric things that appear and bounces your shots. Ugh.

Talka

I hate that stacker game. I put in a dollar once, and got to the very last row and missed it by one block. Then I spent like $20 at it, and got to the last block like 5 times and missed it. There was a DS Lite there that I wanted too.

Damn you. I comforted myself by thinking they might have made it impossible to actually beat. Now I just feel unskilled and $20 poorer.

Xenon

ninj4junpei said:
Upon closer investigation, the OP is clearly a Stacker viral marketer.

:lol well a lot of the people I was with hit the machine pretty hard right after.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wario64 said:
Well they had to buy the DS Lite in order to put into the machine, right?

Who knew carnival games were the key to Nintendo's success?

On second thought . . . .

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
g23 said:
How come no1 has reccomended Poke'mon?

Because it is already implied that when he has a DS he will get pokemon, we don't need to recommend it. What needs to be recommended are games that might fly under the radar like Phoenix Wright and Castlevania.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Speaking of rigging the machines, they pretty much have to enforce it or they'd be losing money. The prizes they have in those things aren't cheap. DS Lite is probably the cheapest prize I've seen, so you're looking at prizes over at least $130.

Darkpen

Banned
for girls, it seems that Nintendog is a must-have, and the must-have for everyone is Mario Kart. Its like a default must-carry game for any time you come across any other DS owners.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Darkpen said:
for girls, it seems that Nintendog is a must-have, and the must-have for everyone is Mario Kart. Its like a default must-carry game for any time you come across any other DS owners.

It is the default must have game if you have friends with a DS. The game is the most played DS game I own since all my friends got a DS.

bill0527

I dropped $40 in one of those at Disney World last May trying to win a Pirates of the Caribbean 2 DVD.

Yeah. I'm real fucking smart.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Those Stacker machines seem to have sprouted up absolutely everywhere these days. There seems to be one in every facility that might house arcade games. I've personally seen two variations: one with blue tiles and one with red. The prizes seem to be identical, though.

And yeah, the damn thing is rigged. I've mastered it to the point where I can more or less consistently get it to the very top but the timing completely changes at the top row. It seems to shift one over when you press the button while the tile is in the right spot. I've tried to compensate for this by pressing the button earlier, but then the timing miraculously works correctly. So, yeah, obviously rigged. This really irks me more than it should since I hate having the fruits of my skills denied because of some crappy (and really obvious) rigging,

I mean, geez, they don't even try to conceal the fact that you're plain being robbed of your victory...

And I definitely agree with Mario Kart DS being the game of choice to carry around. In my grade 12 year of high school last year, there were plenty of improptu Mario Kart tournaments springing up with both friends and people who I didn't even know. When Pokemon Diamond/Pearl got old, Mario Kart became the title of choice. Pretty much every moment out of class (and many in class, thanks to busy teachers who really didn't give a damn) was spent glued to my DS and its poor abused battery.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wario64 said:
Speaking of rigging the machines, they pretty much have to enforce it or they'd be losing money. The prizes they have in those things aren't cheap. DS Lite is probably the cheapest prize I've seen, so you're looking at prizes over at least $130.

Well, yes, I know that... the problem is that if they are rigged, it's no longer a game of skill, but a game of chance. If it's a game of chance, it's illegal in almost every state in the USA -- gambling.

Top Bottom