• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOT Confirmed: DualShock 3 Rumble Identical to DualShock 2 Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesb23

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17519

"The rumble feature on the DualShock 3 is the same as DualShock 2."

As for battery life:

Otzman said that "battery life depends on how often the rumble feature is used." She added, "When the rumble feature is completely turned off, it's equivalent with the Sixaxis (maximum of 30 hours) and when the rumble feature is active it's about 15 hours, under SCE standard testing conditions."

Bebpo

Banned
Uh, no. Someone has it wrong because various press people have said over and over that it's like nothing before in any other rumble controller and can rumble in various parts of the controller based on directional cues in game.

I really hoped that Sony would have made an effort with this.

it seems they just slapped in rumble to shut people up instead of blowing them away.

Loudninja

Bebpo said:
Uh, no. Someone has it wrong because various press people have said over and over that it's like nothing before in any other rumble controller and can rumble in various parts of the controller based on directional cues in game.

Yeah, alot of people said different as well

Bebpo

Banned
Linkzg said:
I really hoped that Sony would have made an effort with this.

it seems they just slapped in rumble to shut people up instead of blowing them away.

This is just some miscommunication at SCEA like always. They also say there is no difference between old PSP and new PSP screens.

kevm3

If all they were going to do was use a PS2 equivalent rumble, then there's no reason they can't release the controller this year over here.

Bebpo said:
This is just some miscommunication at SCEA like always. They also say there is no difference between old PSP and new PSP screens.

so they just set expectations low until people try it and get blown away instead of getting over hyped? that works, I guess.

I kind of just wished they reworked the L2/R2 buttons most of all, gave them a bit more resistance and had some extra plastic to stop your fingers from sliding off.

Evlar

Banned
kevm3 said:
If all they were going to do was use a PS2 equivalent rumble, then there's no reason they can't release the controller this year over here.
I swear, it sometimes seems most of GAF learned everything they know about manufacturing and the process of introducing new technology from playing Starcraft.

Bebpo said:
placebo effect...

the excitement of realizing the return of a wanted feature can screw up some people's rationale.

Bebpo

Banned
Jesus christ people, learn to read other threads and not jump to conclusions based on this dumb statement.

From 1up crew on rumble in MGS4:
It's in there... It was buggy, and not really available during gameplay. But it was working during the cutscenes... and dude, best rumble ever. super nice... subtle & stereo. DS3 FTMFW :)

On whether it's different from the old rumble:
According to the devs we've talked to: tons of control over the strength. It doesn't feel like a gyro spinning in the controller... it just vibrates. and it's very localized to either side of the controller. When explosions happen in the environment behind and to the left of you, for example, you get a little thud on the left side of the controller. It definitely feels like an improvement over DS2.

Now why would devs say that if it was the same damn rumble as PS2?

Also from 1up:
We did enjoy the various rumble effects employed by the new Dual Shock 3 controller, though: As explosions rattled around Snake, we could actually feel the direction from which they were coming based on what part of the controller virbated. Overall, the controls feel incredibly streamlined and accessible, while still retaining the precise movement and aiming fans have come to expect from the franchise.

sprocket

Banned
Yeah i figured it BS. But you know any little negative thing said about the ps3 true or false.. ehh you know.

Also these CONFIRMED threads should be against the rules! nothing is confirmed here.

jamesb23 said:
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17519

"The rumble feature on the DualShock 3 is the same as DualShock 2."

As for battery life:

Otzman said that "battery life depends on how often the rumble feature is used." She added, "When the rumble feature is completely turned off, it's equivalent with the Sixaxis (maximum of 30 hours) and when the rumble feature is active it's about 15 hours, under SCE standard testing conditions."
So you didn't even try the controller? Did you :lol :lol

Seems like your out to get Sony in most of the threads you've started.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151692
:lol

mood

Bebpo said:
Jesus christ people, learn to read other threads and not jump to conclusions based on this dumb statement.

Also from 1up:

Aren't there 2 motors in the controller? Seems like a pretty easy thing to just use various strengths of each motor to simulate different feelings.

sprocket

Banned
Bebpo said:

Also from 1up:

Keep repeating this and see how many times it takes for people to notice. I say 45.

mr_square

TrueReligion said:
As long as there is rumble in MGS4 I can care less.

COULDN'T care less.

caring.png

Unless you (oddly) don't give a crap about rumble in MGS4

human5892

Queen of Denmark
The source is a PR person from SCEA, so...yeah. Not sure how much stock I'm placing in this.

PS - Thank you Bebpo.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Linkzg said:
so they just set expectations low until people try it and get blown away instead of getting over hyped? that works, I guess.

haha, yes. They are that smart.

Bebpo

Banned
mood said:
Aren't there 2 motors in the controller? Seems like a pretty easy thing to just use various strengths of each motor to simulate different feelings.

It's possible that both are right. Maybe the tech is the same but it does things no other controller has done before?

But then if you didn't need new tech to do that why haven't any PS2 or X360 games done more than just simple vibration?

Doesn't add up to be honest.

Clipjoint

The 1up guys seem to be giving the most detailed, hand-on report on the DS3. For now, I'm leaning towards believing them.

Eiji

1up:

We did enjoy the various rumble effects employed by the new Dual Shock 3 controller, though: As explosions rattled around Snake, we could actually feel the direction from which they were coming based on what part of the controller virbated. Overall, the controls feel incredibly streamlined and accessible, while still retaining the precise movement and aiming fans have come to expect from the franchise.

How can it be said then that the rumble is the same as the Dual Shock 2?

RiverBed

Banned
it isn't 'confirmed' for me till I see the new controller opened and photographed.

in any case, it is a matter of curiosity as it doesn't matter for me how it's done as long as it shakes in my hands.

Mmmkay

In light of the press coverage, I can only imagine it's because there's no official announcement of the technology being used so Sony PR can't say anything. 'Stereo' rumble wasn't a feature of the DS2 iirc.

atbigelow

Doesn't matter what any PR or journalist says. They're not exactly reliable in all cases.

I say wait until someone tears one open.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Im so tempted to import a dualshock 3, but im scared something will be wrong with it and i cant return it :(

Tobor

Bebpo said:
It's possible that both are right. Maybe the tech is the same but it does things no other controller has done before?

But then if you didn't need new tech to do that why haven't any PS2 or X360 games done more than just simple vibration?

Doesn't add up to be honest.

The 1up impressions you quoted were from Ryan though, he's the biggest Sony honk at 1up next to Shane. It's pretty likely he got a little carried away.

It's possible it's some new tech, but I'm not taking Ryan's word for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom