• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOT Confirmed: DualShock 3 Rumble Identical to DualShock 2 Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bubblicious said:
Does it really matter what rumble it's getting. We should just be grateful we're getting rumble in the first place.
yeah, honestly, rumble is a BIG PLUS for me, next gen rumble would be an additional bonus, but just having rumble back period is the real jump

sprocket

Banned
atbigelow said:
Doesn't matter what any PR or journalist says. They're not exactly reliable in all cases.

I say wait until someone tears one open.

You don't have to tear one open .. id its touch sense then it well be able to smooth go from slow to fast. Like reving an engine.

and again nothing is confirmed here.

Raist

Banned
I don't get why no journalist has called immersion yet.

Maybe they'd speak now that it's officially announced by Sony.

Bebpo said:
It's possible that both are right. Maybe the tech is the same but it does things no other controller has done before?

But then if you didn't need new tech to do that why haven't any PS2 or X360 games done more than just simple vibration?

Doesn't add up to be honest.

I think you're on the right track, in terms of the hardware used it may well be identical however how it is programmed is what is different.

PkunkFury

sprocket said:
and FUD starts.
sprocket said:
Yeah i figured it BS. But you know any little negative thing said about the ps3 true or false.. ehh you know.

you do realise this imformation is coming directly from SCEA, yes? Why would SCEA spread FUD about Sony? It may be false info, but reporting something from the company directly is not FUD :\

Tobor

Opus Angelorum said:
I think you're on the right track, in terms of the hardware used it may well be identical however how it is programmed is what is different.

This is a much safer assumption.

Evlar

Banned
Bebpo said:
It's possible that both are right. Maybe the tech is the same but it does things no other controller has done before?

But then if you didn't need new tech to do that why haven't any PS2 or X360 games done more than just simple vibration?

Doesn't add up to be honest.
One of the problems that I can think of with doing directional rumble on the DualShock 2 is that the two flywheels are different weights (the lefthand wheel is more massive if I remember correctly). This produces a difference in amplitude that's useful for some purposes (allows the feedback to simulate small rocks and large rocks on a race track for instance) but overwhelms any direction input you may feel. Your brains recognizes the heavy shake/light shake difference more readily than the left shake/right shake difference.

jamesb23

Raist said:
I don't get why no journalist has called immersion yet.

Maybe they'd speak now that it's officially announced by Sony.

Multiple attempts already, and they said go speak to Sony.

Aalyx

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I was expecting it to have 2 large motors on either side of the controller with a 3rd smaller motor to provide more subtle effects.

Bebpo

Banned
koam said:
Heh i didn't even remove anything important.

So rumble in cutscenes do not count...what? This is simply about whether the controller is doing rumble in a way not felt before.

DeaconKnowledge said:
The entire concept of "Next-gen rumble" makes me laugh. People were actually expecting this?

It sounds better than the rumble in the Wiimote, so can't really complain.

castle007

Banned
uh oh?? It doesn't matter to me. I don't really care about rumble that much, although I would have appreciated it in GOW2 :lol (I played it on my PS3)

Also, I can't believe the media is commenting on rumble in PS3 games previews :lol

It makes it feel like I am reading a preview for a PS1 game

Blueblur1

Bebpo said:
This is just some miscommunication at SCEA like always. They also say there is no difference between old PSP and new PSP screens.
Gonna have to wait to find out if this is true. Spring 2008, right?

Those 1up hands-on reports seem fishy to me. Dualshock rumble was stereo also. That's what the word dual meant.

The dualshock motors were widely underutilized. Compare the rumble in Metal Gear Solid, such as when the helicopter is taking off, to all the games that use the rumble just to have the controller shake at maximum strength whenever there's an explosion on-screen.

However, it would be possible to get more subtle rumble with the same motors if you could vary the current going into them-though if one had this there would no reason to use asymmetric motors anymore, so you wouldn't use the same pair of motors.

Bebpo

Banned
Blueblur1 said:

November. Can't wait to see how Uncharted uses it.

jamesb23 said:
Yes by reporting exactly what SCEA tells me means that I'm "out to get" Sony.

Yeah, I've got nothing against your article. It's just that Sony has the worst PR in the entire industry. They'll often have 3 people working for them saying different things.

leroy hacker said:
Those 1up hands-on reports seem fishy to me. Dualshock rumble was stereo also. That's what the word dual meant.

The dualshock motors were widely underutilized. Compare the rumble in Metal Gear Solid, such as when the helicopter is taking off, to all the games that use the rumble just to have the controller shake at maximum strength whenever there's an explosion on-screen.

However, it would be possible to get more subtle rumble with the same motors if you could vary the current going into them-though if one had this there would no reason to use asymmetric motors anymore, so you wouldn't use the same pair of motors.

But then you have the comments on talking to developers and they are saying it's different and they have new things to play with.

womfalcs3

Banned
If true...I'm actually kind of mad right now. I mean what the fuck Sony? What's the point of bringing the old rumble back when Immersion has new technology developed? Make the deal, work out your relationship, and get touchsense into the SIXAXIS.

I guess I won't be buying the new controller for a while. It was going to be a launch purchase.

Jim

Blueblur1 said:

~November 07 for Japan. I'm sure that thing will be dissected on day 1 after launch.

I'm sticking by the assumption of the DS3 being based on tweaked/enhanced DS2 tech with some new libraries and such to provide developers with a little more control over them.

p.s. uhh, I didn't close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom