• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

JayDubya

Banned
Sallokin said:
That all looks correct. Each party member you get, has their "job" as a talent tree. My character for example had Infiltrator which was then replaced by Commando. Abilities are pulled up using the right bumper. I also have a separate skill bar now that I"m a spectre. Here's the definition of a Commando straight from my menu

"Commando

Commandos rely on lethal efficiency and precision strikes rather than brute force to eliminate their opponents.

-Increases damage with all weapons
-Improves Immunity ability
-Improves Marksman ability
-Improves Assassination ability"

See what I took for general sniper rifles was actually two sniper abilities that get improved (both of which I use often). Furthermore the sniper overheating can be curbed by using gun mods, it still overheats quickly, but usually two shots is enough to kill any foot soldier not using immunity/shield boost. Melee is something that is done whenever you are close to an opponent, it's done with the right trigger and is essentially automatic (and handy)

Ah, I see. Marksman is gained through Pistol skill, Assassination is gained through Sniper Rifle skill, Immunity is gained through Fitness skill, so Commando is good for Pistol / Sniper Rifle types. It seems somewhat ill-fitted for a Solder, at least a Soldier that doesn't want to spread points into all weapon types, like myself :D - what I mean by this is that Pistols unlock shotguns, Assault Rifles unlock Sniper Rifles, so by having Marksman and Assassination you'd have invested points in all the weapon types and would have probably unlocked shotgun.

Although, I bet I probably do want to go ahead and do Shotgun and focus on Shotgun and Assault Training, if only because both Garrus and Ashley can cover the Assault rifle / Sniper Rifle bases. I want to be doing as much damage as possible in close quarters, charging head on in heavy armor, closing to melee range... what's the range on an assault rifle? Do they tend to do more damage than pistols, at least, and have the next best range increment compared to the sniper rifle?

My goodness, this is likely going to wind up playing much like Gears of War, only sadly sans the chainsaw bayonet. Daddy likes.

Oh yeah, one more thing, and back to spoiler-land for these questions:
if you're an Infiltrator, you'd have the Infiltrator class talent. When you become a Commando, you'd gain the Commando class talent. Do you still have the Infiltrator class talent? Does the Commando class change anything other than give you a new talent that you can invest points in?

JayDubya

Banned
Lostconfused said:
God this thread turned into a spoiler fest, got to remember to thank those retailers.

Frankly, they're not really spoilers. Spoilers would be like, omg, Liara is praying for the White Materia to appear and then suddenly Saren jumps down from above and stabs her through. But don't worry, she'll appear again with the Lifestream and save you all so there can be a much loathed (but actually pretty awesome) CG film sequel and plenty of spin-off games.

This is all game mechanics for character creation stuff, which a lot of RPG dorks like to know before they start making their character.

And if you don't want to know it until you get home with the game, don't highlight it.

Naeblish

Kildace said:
I only really notice it after I die. The rest of the time it happens but it's not that distracting at all. Didn't have that problem after 3-4 hours.
Isn't it an immersion killer, even if it's for a second? Your completely in the game loving it, and suddenly all your beloved characters turn low poly and low res textures, yikes! In gears it's not that bad when it happens, but here where it's all about the world, it's characters and the storytelling, i wonder...

Kildace

Naeblish said:
Isn't it an immersion killer, even if it's for a second? Your completely in the game loving it, and suddenly all your beloved characters turn low poly and low res textures, yikes! In gears it's not that bad when it happens, but here where it's all about the world, it's characters and the storytelling, i wonder...

The fact that there's a loading screen when you die kills the immersion anyhow, texture pop-in barely happens in gameplay otherwise. The polygon count doesn't change, it's just the textures, especially the background textures that take about 3 to 5 seconds to load.
Personally it doesn't take me out of the game but your mileage may vary.

All i can say is that i am seeing large walls of black text and i am not going to bother reading them. But complaining about not having mass effect right now is the only thing i can do until i get it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Dunno if it's been posted yet, but the "Distress Call" commercial is up on Marketplace in full HD glory... so damn beautiful, and again, I love the emotion and expressions in the commercial...

You bastards that are playing right now are so lucky... :(

traveler

Not Wario
JayDubya said:
Frankly, they're not really spoilers. Spoilers would be like, omg, Liara is praying for the White Materia to appear and then suddenly Saren jumps down from above and stabs her through. But don't worry, she'll appear again with the Lifestream and save you all so there can be a much loathed (but actually pretty awesome) CG film sequel and plenty of spin-off games.

This is all game mechanics for character creation stuff, which a lot of RPG dorks like to know before they start making their character.

And if you don't want to know it until you get home with the game, don't highlight it.

I think they should be tagged for the sensitive, but, yeah, this is the kind of stuff I want to see ahead of time. I hate having to guess at where I'm taking my character in RPGs like this.

traveler said:
I think they should be tagged for the sensitive, but, yeah, this is the kind of stuff I want to see ahead of time. I hate having to guess at where I'm taking my character in RPGs like this.

I can see why people say this. But i obviously disagree somewhat, the first play through for me the main thing that would matter is the storyline and choices that you get to make. The second and third play through can be all about min maxing.

Zzoram

JayDubya said:

At first I stopped reading because I was scared that was a real spoiler, but then I realized what that was a reference to :lol

Lostconfused said:
But complaining about not having mass effect right now is the only thing i can do until i get it.
Ditto. This thread needs to stop getting bumped so I can stop being reminded of The Awesome that I am currently missing out on.

JayDubya

Banned
Lostconfused said:
I can see why people say this. But i obviously disagree somewhat, the first play through for me the main thing that would matter is the storyline and choices that you get to make. The second and third play through can be all about min maxing.

When my second play through is going to be a new game + and there's no way to reassign talent points, to my knowledge... well, it matters to me. :D

Also, if anyone is wondering about talents and how many points you get, and I'll keep using the spoiler box for your sake, mister, someone on the forums has the following formula:

Levels 1-5 (3pts/lvl)
* levels x pts/lvl = total
* 5 x 3 = 15

Levels 6-35 (2pts/lvl)
* 30 x 2 = 60

Levels 36-50 (1pt/lvl)
* 15 x 1 = 15

Sub-total (level 50):
* Shepard = 15 + 60 + 15
* Shepard = 90

Levels 51-60 (1pt/lvl)
* 10 x 1 = 10

Grand-total (level 60):
* Shepard = 90 + 10
* Shepard = 100

Shepard has at least 12 Talents, 8 from his starting class, then four more: Starting Class Talent, Spectre Training, Charm, Intimidate.

You can gain one additional Talent through Achievements relating to using a given skill many times. That makes 13.

I don't yet know if the Specialization Class talent is an additional one or if it overwrites your old class talent. So that might be a 14th.

Each Talent has 12 ranks. 100 points total at max level.

You can max out 8 talents and then have four points left.

Sallokin

JayDubya said:
I don't yet know if the Specialization Class talent is an additional one or if it overwrites your old class talent. So that might be a 14th.

Each Talent has 12 ranks. 100 points total at max level.

You can max out 8 talents and then have four points left.[/spoiler]

The specialization class overwrites your original class. Commando took over for Infiltrator in my case.

Although, I bet I probably do want to go ahead and do Shotgun and focus on Shotgun and Assault Training, if only because both Garrus and Ashley can cover the Assault rifle / Sniper Rifle bases. I want to be doing as much damage as possible in close quarters, charging head on in heavy armor, closing to melee range... what's the range on an assault rifle? Do they tend to do more damage than pistols, at least, and have the next best range increment compared to the sniper rifle?

My character can't sight with the assault rifle, all I can do with it is simply point and shoot, so in my case the pistol is a better choice because it's far more powerful for me and more accurate than the assault rifle to boot. I would assume that if you were fairly accurate with the assault rifle it's rapid rate of fire would cause it to trump the pistol in terms of damage over time, but accuracy is the key. My assault rifle is all over the place, and I only use it when enemies are clustered together.

Also what's this I hear about getting a new skill via an achievement? Which achievement is it?

The visuals on these planets are really great. This photo is a little dark though. I can't imagine how much time went into them. Each planet has a description followed by its stats (such as orbit time, population, size etc). To think that people won't even read half of it is heartbreaking. It's been nearly a week and I'm still impressed as hell with this game.

IMG_0376.jpg

Holy shit is this game awesome, just picked it up. The combat is a little sluggish (you can feel the frame rate drops) but the story is absolutely brilliant, and the voice acting is top notch.

The dialog system feels so natural. This scientists assistant was talking shit so I knocked the mofo out cold. My characters little smirk after I nearly took the dudes head off is a top 5 gaming moment.

So awesome.

JayDubya said:
When my second play through is going to be a new game + and there's no way to reassign talent points, to my knowledge... well, it matters to me. :D

Also, if anyone is wondering about talents and how many points you get, and I'll keep using the spoiler box for your sake, mister, someone on the forums has the following formula:

Well spoiler tagging it is being polite and common courtesy especially when most people probably dont even have the game yet. Not to sound ungrateful of course.

Surfheart

Just a head's up to fellow Aussies. Mass effect is in stock bitches!!!!!
Only at EB though, take a JB catalouge in and get them to price match $79.

Heading down now to grab my copy, seems there really is a Santa Claus.

Edit: Sorry, beaten.

beerbelly

Banned
I got a chance to play more today. For what it's worth, my GOTY and I'm having a mixture of badass vibe of Gears of War and that warm illusory exploration sense from Phantasy Star Online.

JayDubya

Banned
Sallokin said:
Also what's this I hear about getting a new skill via an achievement? Which achievement is it?

Well supposedly, and a lot of people have confirmed this one - when you register 150 kills with a given weapon type or use an Engineer skill or Biotic power 75 times, except for First Aid, which is 150 times, you get achievements. When you get these achievements, you can add one of these skills related to the achievements to newly made characters. I don't think it'd have any affect on a New Game + character if you just take the same character you just made through on a New Game +, unless you managed to kill 150 people with a weapon you had no skill in.

So like, my wife will benefit from it if she makes a new Shepard using my X-Box sign-in name, which we usually do on single player games IF there isn't a finite number of saves AND you can make it clear which save you're reading. Like as long as it displays the Shepard first name, we'll be good. Anyway, she'll probably be able to make like, her Sentinel with Shotgun skill. Or whatever. And then I'll be able to put Medicine or whatever on my next character. You can build some interesting things this way, but only for second playthroughs.

Sallokin said:
The specialization class overwrites your original class. Commando took over for Infiltrator in my case.

So if you already had ranks in your base class, those get converted to ranks in the new class? I'm guessing you lose the benefit that the old ranks gave you and instead get the benefit from the new skill?

Sallokin

CastleBravo said:
Is that one of the random planets you can land on, or is it something story related? Just wondering if you can like, explore beyond those mountain peaks or anything cool like that?

That is one of the random planets and for what it's worth, from where I'm standing in the picture, I could have gone over the farthest peaks and still been within the boundaries of the map.

So like, my wife will benefit from it if she makes a new Shepard using my X-Box sign-in name, which we usually do on single player games IF there isn't a finite number of saves AND you can make it clear which save you're reading. Like as long as it displays the Shepard first name, we'll be good. Anyway, she'll probably be able to make like, her Sentinel with Shotgun skill. Or whatever. And then I'll be able to put Medicine or whatever on my next character. You can build some interesting things this way, but only for second playthroughs.

OHHHH I see what you're saying. Alright then, so since I have the 150 kills with a pistol achievement I can transfer that over to a character that may not have the use of pistols in a new game. And yes your saves do display first names.

So if you already had ranks in your base class, those get converted to ranks in the new class? I'm guessing you lose the benefit that the old ranks gave you and instead get the benefit from the new skill?

Well from what I recall I had 3 infiltrator points and when I switched and started with 3 Commando. That may or may not have been a coincidence. I believe the benefits for Commando and Infiltrator are the same with Commando giving extra boosts. So it's essentially like Infiltrator+. I'm not sure if that's the same across the board though.

JayDubya said:

As I mentioned earlier, the benefits from the old class still apply, the new stuff is in addition. Therefore, you still get the Infiltrator benefit of extra mine radius/damage with sniper rifle per talent point, but now the Commando perks are added on top of that.

Sallokin said:
That is one of the random planets and for what it's worth, from where I'm standing in the picture, I could have gone over the farthest peaks and still been within the boundaries of the map.

Wow, that is great to hear! I guess that leads me to another question, with that being a random planet and all, is there actually any REASON to explore all over those areas? Is there anything to see out past those peaks or is it all just lifeless terrain?

sh4mike

Aww, at least one person here has beaten the game. Please answer these -- going OCD with my class selection and playthrough strategy.

sh4mike said:
Two questions:

1. So at New Game + for a specialized character, are you given the option to drop the speciality or change it? I'd hate to get locked into Shock Trooper forever if I wanted to go Commando, for example.

2. Let's say I beat the game with an Adept and subsequently unlock assault rifle achievement with Soldier. Can I add the assault rifle to my Adept (perhaps at New Game+) or would this only be available for a brand-new character?

Tobor

CastleBravo said:
Wow, that is great to hear! I guess that leads me to another question, with that being a random planet and all, is there actually any REASON to explore all over those areas? Is there anything to see out past those peaks or is it all just lifeless terrain?

There are things to find on every planet.

Sallokin

CastleBravo said:

You'll usually find that there's at least 3-4 things to find on a random planet like that, and they're usually highlighted as points of interest on you map. That being said, there's a ton of stuff that I've found that's not been listed on the maps (mostly ore to survey and crashed satellites). Most of the terrain is pretty barren, though I've been on planets that have animals and stuff on them too. That particular planet in my pic is pretty much all mountains and there's a weird 4 legged 2 armed Gazelle Kangaroo looking animal species on it.

Phthisis

Alright special edition ordered. I don't know how much more awesome I can take; I'm only one man. Between Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect, I'm set for Christmas and beyond.

Roat

Banned
The voice acting is incredible so far, I wish most games used some of the actors here. I didn't know Marina Sirtis was doing voice for it either, along with Seth Green and I think I heard the guy who did Carth

Sallokin

A few more pics of some different planets. Just an observation, but I have yet to see any binary star systems.

This isn't because of the flash, that's just how bright the sun is on this one.
IMG_0384.jpg

Another bright sun
IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

See that white dot in the distance on the right hand side? That's a research facility. Also Bioware did a great job with the skies on some of these planets.
IMG_0382.jpg

temp

posting on contract only
Ventrue said:
I just got home with this (in Australia) and I got a fucking red ring of death. Towel trick in progress. :(
You deserve it for getting the game before me.

Odrion

Banned
So uh, does that good/bad side thingy have anything to do with what your character turns into ability wise? I would like to be a nice guy in this game but not if it means I'm stuck with healing and buffing abilities (Vanguard dude.)

Flock

Surfheart said:

do they even price match, when its not in jb-hifi yet?

glaurung

Surfheart said:

Santa Claus? Is he playable?

Sorry, that's great news.

itxaka

Defeatist
Odrion said:
So uh, does that good/bad side thingy have anything to do with what your character turns into ability wise? I would like to be a nice guy in this game but not if it means I'm stuck with healing and buffing abilities (Vanguard dude.)

Not for what i saw. You got the 2 meters for good/bad but they don´t take for one or the other you can grow them at the same time. I got the good one bigger than the bad one resulting in new options to talk, and you get more options (like more difficult options) when the bar grows but they don´t affect your abilities or stats (for what i saw until this point)

BTW sometimes is really difficult to know when you are earning points from wich side are it as
on a city you get asked to smuggle a packet and you accept (bad points) but instead of smuggling it you run to the "gobernor" and report it (good points) but you asked for some money in compensation in a bad manner (bad points). I think i got good points even when I was a squealer and rude :)

Game of the Fucking Mass Universe FTW

bud

i need to know one thing: when you're having lesbian sex, does keith david's character come in and say ''ass to ass.'' i'd buy this game and cherish it.

Top Bottom