• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

JayDubya

Banned
Tobor said:
I'd say its more like Han Solo when he shot Greedo(Renegade), or Han at the end of Jedi(Paragon). My bars are pretty even so far.

So, like from the videos, punching Manuel, the mad scientist, or executing the defeated criminal leader ("You don't get to walk away!" *BLAM*) is Renegade? Of course, those things seem legitimately evil, so maybe those are poor examples.

Han shooting Greedo was in self-defense and wholly justified - that's one thing I never understood about Lucas's logic in changing that scene. Han didn't do anything wrong. It gives him a bit of a hard edge, yes, but it's not like Greedo didn't have a gun pointed at him first and threaten to kill him.

I tend to like playing Paladins and Jedi, so of course, I like to know the ins and outs of a character's moral codes, and how adherence to those codes is measured in-game.

Tobor

JayDubya said:
So, like from the videos, punching Manuel, the mad or executing the defeated criminal leader "You don't get to walk away!" is Renegade? Of course, those things seem legitimately evil, so maybe those are poor examples.

Han shooting Greedo was in self-defense and wholly justified - that's one thing I never understood about Lucas's logic in changing that scene. Han didn't do anything wrong. It gives him a bit of a hard edge, yes, but it's not like Greedo didn't have a gun pointed at him first and threaten to kill him.

What I mean is that when I notice I am getting Renegade points, It's usually when I pick the bad ass answer, or cut someone off and fight. Obvious Paragon answers make me feel like I'm a bit of a loser. That being said, the conversations do surprise you, and it's difficult to stay on one path.

When I choose obvious Renegade answers, I feel like Mal in Firefly, or Han when he flips the coin on the table. Not necessarily evil.

JayDubya said:
Right, but the only real question I have (and this pretty much anyone playing the game for a few hours can answer), is "Paragon and Renegade: what do those two things measure?"

Good and evil, or adherence to orders / duty?

I would say that it is more good vs. evil, as opposed to obedience vs. rogue. In most instances, I find the "evil" choice to be clearly defined, but the "good" choice sometimes involves adherence to your mission objectives. This is not to say that there aren't situations, such as "should I help this person to earn good points, or should I ignore them and earn evil/no points" and vice versa, in the game. There are plenty of those.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Memories of Lost Planet come flooding back. Although watching the HD clip on GameTrailers, I think the snow storm looks better in Mass Effect.

masseffect_1.gif

Tobor

Kestastrophe said:
I would say that it is more good vs. evil, as opposed to obedience vs. rogue. In most instances, I find the "evil" choice to be clearly defined, but the "good" choice sometimes involves adherence to your mission objectives. This is not to say that there aren't situations, such as "should I help this person to earn good points, or should I ignore them and earn evil/no points" and vice versa, in the game. There are plenty of those.

It doesn't really feel evil to me, but maybe that's because...I'm evil. Muahahaha.

No, really, some of the Paragon stuff makes you feel like a guidance counselor. And my Commander Sheppard is no guidance counselor.

Tobor

glaurung said:
That creature is crazy awesome!

How are the physics on the Mako?

That creature will rip you a new one if you're not careful.

The Mako is just straight up fun. You can't flip it, the guns have a good feel, and it can climb almost anything.

itxaka

Defeatist
Kestastrophe said:
That beast shoots some acidic substance at you that doesn't do too much damage, but if you get too close it will do a melee attack that kills you in one hit.

Yep, it kills you in one hit. i know it firsthand :(

glaurung

Kestastrophe said:
That beast shoots some acidic substance at you that doesn't do too much damage, but if you get too close it will do a melee attack that kills you in one hit.

Acid spitting bad-ass killing machine...

Got to love the universe.

MCD

cjelly said:
Memories of Lost Planet come flooding back. Although watching the HD clip on GameTrailers, I think the snow storm looks better in Mass Effect.

masseffect_1.gif

Lost Planet is now officially lost.

:bow

syllogism

So how long is the game? Someone on SA beat it in 22 hours while getting the ""completionist achievement" for "completing the majority of the game". Sounds a bit short for a game with dozens of planets to explore.

duk

Banned
syllogism said:
So how long is the game? Someone on SA beat it in 22 hours while getting the ""completionist achievement" for "completing the majority of the game". Sounds a bit short for a game with dozens of planets to explore.

I've heard well into the 40s including side quests

Snaku

Banned
My impressions, spoiler free...

This game is without a doubt Bioware's greatest achievement, and a giant leap forward for Western RPGs. The level of detail and polish that has gone into creating this completely new universe is staggering, and believable. The story is excellent, from the main arc to the sidequests & character arcs, and pulled me in from the start. For those worried about not being able to talk to random NPCs, don't. There are plenty of people and aliens to converse with, and you will, at great length. The sound & music are perfect, and made me realize how much I loved this type of music in the late 70's/early 80's sci fi films. The graphics and art direction are incredible, though you don't need me to tell you that. The character customization options are awesome. And the real time combat engine is very well done and doesn't feel too much like a shooter given the RPG elements.

I'm only 8 hours in, and that's pretty much all I've to say about it at the moment. Nothing negative has really jumped out at me at all yet, and I hope nothing does. Excellent game. Could very well be my GOTY.

Snaku said:
Yes, and yes. Both very minimal, though I don't tend to notice (or care about) either.
Good, so it's not too distracting.

What'd you think about the facial customization? I spent hours getting my Oblivion/Tiger Woods characters to look just right.

syllogism

Snaku said:
My impressions, spoiler free...

This game is without a doubt Bioware's greatest achievement, and a giant leap forward for Western RPGs. The level of detail and polish that has gone into creating this completely new universe is staggering, and believable. The story is excellent, from the main arc to the sidequests & character arcs, and pulled me in from the start. For those worried about not being able to talk to random NPCs, don't. There are plenty of people and aliens to converse with, and you will, at great length. The sound & music are perfect, and made me realize how much I loved this type of music in the late 70's/early 80's sci fi films. The graphics and art direction are incredible, though you don't need me to tell you that. The character customization options are awesome. And the real time combat engine is very well done and doesn't feel too much like a shooter given the RPG elements.

I'm only 8 hours in, and that's pretty much all I've to say about it at the moment. Nothing negative has really jumped out at me at all yet, and I hope nothing does. Excellent game. Could very well be my GOTY.

While it could still be their "greatest achievement", have you played Baldur's Gate 2 or is this coming from someone who got into Bioware games after KotoR?

Snaku

Banned
The Lamonster said:
What'd you think about the facial customization? I spent hours getting my Oblivion/Tiger Woods characters to look just right.

The facial customization is very detailed. I spent a good 45 minutes working on my Sheppard's face. She's pretty hot. :lol

Chu-Fye!

Man o Man..
This game just keeps getting better and better.
Im a side quest whore.
Anyone who says they beat this game in 22 hrs and got mostly everything is insane.
There is just Toooooo much to do.!

This game is the best game I ever played.
Gears of War RPG it is.
With insane customisation.
The pacing in this game is AWSSSOMMEEEE!!!!!

Tobor

Snaku said:
The facial customization is very detailed. I spent a good 45 minutes working on my Sheppard's face. She's pretty hot. :lol

I went with standard Sheppard. I just couldn't wait to get started. My next run through, I'm going to customize like crazy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Tobor said:
I went with standard Sheppard. I just couldn't wait to get started. My next run through, I'm going to customize like crazy.
I'm going with standard shepard too. Let's be standard shepard buddies.

traveler

Not Wario
This may have been addressed already, but I didn't see it- what is the age range like for Shephard? Can you craft a decent looking older guy? (For some reason, I always like to play old people in games- I'm a wizened old gnome in WoW, for example. :lol )

Dabanton

Am thinking of making a female Shepperd not for those reasons though:lol

Man i haven't been this excited about a game in a while.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
sh4mike said:
Hey, no more GIFs of semi-boss encounters -- not cool.

Ah man, I was just about to make one of Shepperd vs. the Mother Mass Effect entity. Damn, that thing is huuuuge. I love it when it absorbs Shepperd's life force, showing him the galaxy from its perspective.

Oh, btw, that's a spoiler!!!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
You retail cheating scumbags (IM SO FUCKING JEALOUS) have littered this thread with spoilers now, Im gonna have to check out untill I can get a copy.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
recklessmind said:
Did anyone answer my beard question? This thread is massive...

The facial hair options are pretty limited. There will be no ZZ Top Shepard in your future.

beerbelly

Banned
I had the chance to play it at my friend's house yesterday because he got a copy from his brother's shop. My only disappointment is the framerate is very choppy/stutters even in cutscenes. The music is truly epic, though, and I can see myself forgiving the framerate just like I didn't mind Banjo Kazooie's and Goldeneye's because of the gameplay.

jliu26

Neo Member
I am about 7 hours in, impressions:

- The game is KOTOR-ish when you are in a city, which is a good thing imo.

- The planet exploration definitely reminded me a lot of Star Control 2, but even better, since you can do a lot more on the planet surface, however, from what I've seen so far, there seemed to be be less planets than SC2, but there are still a LOT of places you can explore.

- The graphic is good, the first area you visit is OK, but I think once you get to the Citadel, it gets much better. However there are a fair amount of slow down and screen tearing, but if you don't mind them in KOTOR, you won't mind them in ME, they are about the same (as far as I can remember).

Overall the game is very very good, I think on par with the first KOTOR, and definitely GOTY material.

duk

Banned
sounds amazing... too bad about screen tearing though but that maybe overlookable when taken everything else in scope

JayDubya said:
Right, but the only real question I have (and this pretty much anyone playing the game for a few hours can answer), is "Paragon and Renegade: what do those two things measure?"

Good and evil, or adherence to orders / duty?

According to the manual, they measure how you handle a situation. Handle it with honor, a sense of duty, and sacrifice for the benefit of others is Paragon; handling it with disregard for collateral damage and immediate gain to yourself is Renegade.

Naeblish

syllogism said:
While it could still be their "greatest achievement", have you played Baldur's Gate 2 or is this coming from someone who got into Bioware games after KotoR?
Exactly the question i wanted to ask when i read his post. Better then bg2 at its time, i doubt it...

Kestastrophe said:

The acid completely bypasses the Mako's shields, and later on, when I was cleaning up sidequests before the last dungeon (and was like, level 40 or so), there would be threshers that can dissolve the Mako in two hits.

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
So it's either this, COD4 or Assassins Creed. My budget for the time being just won't stretch to accommodate all three, and that sucks.
It's been a while since I've played a decent RPG, I've found it progressively harder to get in to them and nothing in the last few years has really grabbed my attention. I struggled with Sudeki, Deus Ex 2 was completely average, and Jade Empire was pretty poor. Blue Dragon also did nothing for me.
It's about time I invested in an epic story with well written characters and a world worth falling in love with. But at the same time I just don't know whether I have the patience for carefully planning out all the statistics and strategies that come with this sort of game. I don't know whether I will be able to give it my full attention.
On the other hand, I'm sick of First Person Shooters, I need a game to mix things up for me and remind me why I got in to video games in the first place. That feeling of escapism, filling someone elses shoes and living in their world; not just blasting through endless hordes of enemies.

You've answered you own question...get ME. As single player experience, its probably the best out of the three

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
So it's either this, COD4 or Assassins Creed. My budget for the time being just won't stretch ....

You think too much. Mass Effect is all you'll need. This game will top them all.

I was lucky enough to find the game early (I think I've had it for over a week now maybe?). It's the closest thing you'll get to combining a fantastic book that you don't want to put down with an incredible Sci-fi movie.

Seriously guys, there's really no need to nitpick about tearing, skills, graphics, combat etc. When you get a copy, just put the game in the tray, turn the lights out, sit back and enjoy the experience. When you're done, ask yourself if what you just experienced was worth $59.99. I guarantee no one with a pulse will say "no".

Also, pray to the retail gods that the game sells well so we are all guarenteed the next two installments.

Top Bottom