• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

temp

posting on contract only
Tobor said:
To be honest, the hacking system is kind of a relief for me. Tap some buttons and open says me. It's so easy, I don't see why anyone would waste the omni-gel, which you do need for other things. More importantly, it's fast. Open the crate and go, go, go.
It's "open sesame".

Eric WK

I could have swore Gamestop.com had the "Order by November 19th blah blah blah to guarantee delivery on the street date of Novemeber 20th" message for this, but now it's gone.

Will this be in stores on Tuesday or will we have to wait until Wednesday? I'd really like to just pop in and pick up this and Rock Band at the same time.

Tobor said:
Yes, I know. Ali Baba defense force, huh?

i think BenjaminBirdie just found his new avatar.

Eric WK said:
I could have swore Gamestop.com had the "Order by November 19th blah blah blah to guarantee delivery on the street date of Novemeber 20th" message for this, but now it's gone.

Will this be in stores on Tuesday or will we have to wait until Wednesday? I'd really like to just pop in and pick up this and Rock Band at the same time.

considering the broken street dates with K mart, i am sure that gamestop(eb) already has the game in their backrooms

Eric WK

Lostconfused said:
considering the broken street dates with K mart, i am sure that gamestop(eb) already has the game in their backrooms

You would think so, but they never do with other games that are spotted elsewhere prior to the street date. See: BioShock, Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed

By the way, I just noticed that they do have that message for the Limited Edition. So... fingers crossed.

ckohler

Limited Collectors Edition pre-ordered. Gamestop.com better damn well deliver that to my doorstep on the 20th or I will become angry.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This game is so fucking epic. Can't wait.

me_anim_4.gif

Hunter D

karasu said:
Come on Blim. You can't honestly say that there's anything attractive about any of those females in that image. They look like assistant principals.
The faces of the women remind me of the women from Star Trek The Next Generation.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Lebron said:

Epic...

...epic.

And I swear, I've fallen in love with that Galaxy Map music since E32006 - I'm going to let it just sit there as it plays the very first time I get to it...

Man, all of the music in that vid was pure awesome - and I just love how the sun flares across the screen - and knowing that you can explore every bit of what we saw there makes it all the sweeter...

On the downside, it's a cold reminder that we still have to wait till next week for it... :(

cjelly said:
This game is so fucking epic. Can't wait.

me_anim_4.gif

Whoa - what video is this from?

JayDubya

Banned
JayDubya said:
So random question about Renegade / Paragon...

What are they measuring, exactly?

If it's simply a Good meter and an Evil meter, but getting points in one doesn't negate points in the other, that's one thing, and it's unique enough.

But I have a question that will help me understand the whole thing a lot better. Given that Mass Effect apparently presents the player with difficult moral choices, this should be helpful for someone playing the game to answer - no spoilers, please, just try to answer.

If I have direct orders to do something but ignore them in order to obviously "do the right thing," is that grounds for more Paragon points, or more Renegade points?

Essentially, do those scales reflect adherence to military code and discipline / following orders to the letter vs. being a maverick OR does it reflect approaching situations with honor and respect for life and others vs. doing whatever the hell you want and taking the low road? In previous Bioware games with moral measurement, it has been the latter.

Said another way, is it a Paragon of virtue or a Paragon of a military officer?

Kestastrophe said:
At a certain point in the game, you decide the outcome of one of your party members. I'll leave it at that.

If we're talking about
Wrex
, that was in one of the videos Bioware put out, and it was awesome.

No matter what we're talking about, my question still stands.

In that scenario, you were arguing with Wrex over the use of bioweapons against the Krogan. Saren apparently financed research into a cure for the bioweapons previously used on the Krogan - I actually agreed with Wrex and thought it was immoral to have used that sort of thing in the first place, tantamount to genocide, but apparently your orders are to go along with the plan, and Wrex is understandably upset...

So in that example, if I refuse
to destroy the Genophage cure
, if that's even an option, is that being a Paragon (
for agreeing with Wrex and making a moral stand / not supporting Krogan genocide
) or being a Renegade (
for going against the tactically smart choice that also probably coincides with the council's will.
?

VALIS

Tobor said:
I'm really surprised at how much this reminds me of Star Control 2. And I mean that in an amazingly awesome way.

This game is KOTOR + Star Control 2 to me. And it doesn't get anymore bad ass than that.

WHAT?! Don't yank my chain here, man. I mean, since I first heard of ME I've been hoping like hell it's going to be like a Star Control for the 21st century, but I've been trying to guard my expectations just in case. I hear about the planetary exploration and star map and my expectations go through the roof... but then I hear there aren't really that many planets to explore and my expectations take a hit.... but then I hear all the awesome details about the random planets and my expectations go sky high again.

Is it really like Star Control II? Really?

Hold me, Tobor. Hold me tight.

Sallokin

I have an achievement question. For those who got the scholar achievement, what exactly did you do? A buddy of mine got it, and I just can't seem to get it.
I know you get it in the citadel at the beginning by talking to everyone, but I'm damn near positive I've done that. Anything I'm missing?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Hooray for having a 4-day weekend after this launches.
Boo for having to spend two of those days making small talk with my family.

Thanksgiving is both a blessing and a curse.

Tobor

VALIS said:
WHAT?! Don't yank my chain here, man. I mean, since I first heard of ME I've been hoping like hell it's going to be like a Star Control for the 21st century, but I've been trying to guard my expectations just in case. I hear about the planetary exploration and star map and my expectations go through the roof... but then I hear there aren't really that many planets to explore and my expectations take a hit.... but then I hear all the awesome details about the random planets and my expectations go sky high again.

Is it really like Star Control II? Really?

Hold me, Tobor. Hold me tight.

I'd say it's a solid 60-40 KOTOR to SC2 split. What would happen if SC2 and KOTOR had a baby? Mass Effect.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Tobor said:
Yes, I know. Ali Baba defense force, huh?

If you don't max out your decryption skill later on, some of the key combo cracking shit gets kinda hard if you don't pay attention. :lol

Especially if there are like 3 chests in one room and you have to open them all.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
ckohler said:
Limited Collectors Edition pre-ordered. Gamestop.com better damn well deliver that to my doorstep on the 20th or I will become angry.

You'll be fine if you got the overnight shipping. I've pre-ordered from Gamestop.com around 20 times and they never missed a delivery date. Every game showed up right on time, sometimes even before the local store got its shipment.

CushVA

Chichikov said:
You're missing the point - you can play as John Waters, Space Marine!

And yes, I do believe that John Waters Space Marine (henceforth known as JWSM, trademarked!) will [Lean Forward].
Repeatedly.

:lol (wonder how many people will google the name)

Tain

Every video I see is ridiculous. This looks amazing.

The Assassin's flubbub means I can buy it day 1, too. Or day -1 or -2 depending on how awesome the local street-date breaking store is.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
U K Narayan said:
Will you be recording stuff? Oh gawrsh, I really can't wait, if you are! :D
Well Microsoft has decided it would be very fun to forbid us (and every other site) to do more than 4 videos of 1 minute length maximum.
That's the first time I've ever got such a stupid limitation, and I'm *very* pissed off about it. How can I show anything of such an incredibly deep game in 4*1 minute?
After the whole Halo 3 incident, I'm really getting more and more annoyed by the stunts that MS is pulling with the press. It's like they are getting as arrogant as Nintendo in the SNES days, without the sales...
It's even more ridiculous when you take a look at the dozens of full gameplay video you can see at Gamespot...

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Does this game require the HDD? If not, does a HDD enhance the experience much?
If I can find a cheap Core or Arcade pack I may buy one for this.

Tieno

Geezer said:
Does this game require the HDD? If not, does a HDD enhance the experience much?
If I can find a cheap Core or Arcade pack I may buy one for this.
It does not require a HDD, but like a lot of games it probably uses it for caching and thus better loading times.

Nab

That Elcor guy was awesome!!

Is there any rationale for all the aliens being able to speak english? Some sort of translator gadget mentioned or something?

It's the characters that're really going to make or break this for me. If I like them, if I can care about them, if I find them fun to have with me on my adventures, this game will be a roaring success.

Blimblim said:
Well Microsoft has decided it would be very fun to forbid us (and every other site) to do more than 4 videos of 1 minute length maximum.
That's the first time I've ever got such a stupid limitation, and I'm *very* pissed off about it. How can I show anything of such an incredibly deep game in 4*1 minute?
After the whole Halo 3 incident, I'm really getting more and more annoyed by the stunts that MS is pulling with the press. It's like they are getting as arrogant as Nintendo in the SNES days, without the sales...
It's even more ridiculous when you take a look at the dozens of full gameplay video you can see at Gamespot...
Seems that they're worried about mass spoilerage. But that really should be up to the unspoken understanding about not spoiling stories and surprises, in general.

xabre

Banned
Australian release has apparently been brought forward to tomorrow - at EB at least anyway. Call ahead to confirm however.

I'm wondering if I should cancel my preorder and drive the one hour it'll take to get to my nearest EB. Hmm.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
MightyHedgehog said:
Seems that they're worried about mass spoilerage. But that really should be up to the unspoken understanding about not spoiling stories and surprises, in general.
We also have a list of things not to spoil...

Rezbit

xabre said:
Australian release has apparently been brought forward to tomorrow - at EB at least anyway. Call ahead to confirm however.

I'm wondering if I should cancel my preorder and drive the one hour it'll take to get to my nearest EB. Hmm.

WHAT! Wow...if true I think I might even plonk down full change for that. I usually avoid EB like the plague.

Apocryphon

Blimblim said:

Is the imposed limitation just for video? Or does it extend to screenshots?

people complaining about character creation faces....have you played oblivion? Those women look like Venuses compared to the stumpy troglodytes in oblivion.....urgh, the nightmares....even my dad cracked up every time I was playing that game...

itxaka

Defeatist
just get a call from my friend 2 hours ago telling me he has mine.
been playing for the last hour and half and just...wow. No words to describe this game.

If you liked kotor this is like a gazillion times better.

Of course it have some technical flaws as expected by the bioware guys but the game is so full of everything that I don´t see how anybody could complain about graphics. There is so much fucking info about everything that you just can´t keeping from opening the "enciclopedia" every 30 seconds to read about something new that just go added to it. races, planets, weapons, shit they create various fucking universes with all the history in them and lot of information, they feel like real

Nice how you can explore unhabited planets with the SUV and get fooled by fake help calls, find old satellites and exploit mines for resources.
Also wrex is GOD and the specters are GOD too. They are so well done it blows me up.

as much as i love Bioshock, Mass Erect is my GOTY for 2007.

Back to play with the hottest alien in the universe!

JayDubya said:
If we're talking about
Wrex
, that was in one of the videos Bioware put out, and it was awesome.

No matter what we're talking about, my question still stands.

In that scenario, you were arguing with Wrex over the use of bioweapons against the Krogan. Saren apparently financed research into a cure for the bioweapons previously used on the Krogan - I actually agreed with Wrex and thought it was immoral to have used that sort of thing in the first place, tantamount to genocide, but apparently your orders are to go along with the plan, and Wrex is understandably upset...

So in that example, if I refuse
to destroy the Genophage cure
, if that's even an option, is that being a Paragon (
for agreeing with Wrex and making a moral stand / not supporting Krogan genocide
) or being a Renegade (
for going against the tactically smart choice that also probably coincides with the council's will.
?

I was referring to an event that takes place later on that same planet, but not the event that you described. It is an actually a much more difficult decision because there is no clear "winning" situation. I don't want to say anything more about it for fear of spoilers.

JayDubya

Banned
Kestastrophe said:
I was referring to an event that takes place later on that same planet, but not the event that you described. It is an actually a much more difficult decision because there is no clear "winning" situation. I don't want to say anything more about it for fear of spoilers.

Right, but the only real question I have (and this pretty much anyone playing the game for a few hours can answer), is "Paragon and Renegade: what do those two things measure?"

Good and evil, or adherence to orders / duty?

Tobor

JayDubya said:
Right, but the only real question I have (and this pretty much anyone playing the game for a few hours can answer), is "Paragon and Renegade: what do those two things measure?"

Good and evil, or adherence to orders / duty?

I'd say its more like Han Solo when he shot Greedo(Renegade), or Han at the end of Jedi(Paragon). My bars are pretty even so far.

Top Bottom