• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Check Mii Out Channel to launch this Sunday

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
PR from Nintendo

REDMOND, Wash., Nov. 8, 2007 – It's no secret that fans of Nintendo's Wii™ system love their Mii™ characters – those adorably cartoonish caricatures of friends and family members that can be used in games like Wii Sports™. Some of the more artistic fans have even taken it upon themselves to make Miis of celebrities, politicians and fictional characters. Nintendo supports consumers' creative spirit with the Nov. 11 evening launch of the Check Mii Out Channel. This free new channel can be downloaded from the WiiWare™ section of the Wii Shop Channel by people who have their Wii systems connected to the Internet.

"The Check Mii Out Channel lets people show off their Mii creations and vote on those created by others," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "It's yet another way that we're building fun, interactive communities of Wii owners without charging them extra for the privilege."

In the Posting Plaza, users can submit, exchange or just browse Miis posted by others in their region or worldwide. The channel offers the ability to look at a random selection of 1,000 Miis or to see just the current or all-time favorites. Players have a variety of ways to search for specific Miis, including by the name of its creator or by a number specific to each Mii. Once users have found that "special Mii," they can even tag their favorites or import them to their own Wii systems.

The contest section of the Check Mii Out Channel challenges users to submit Mii creations to represent a specific person, character or theme. These could include historical figures (Abraham Lincoln or Vincent Van Gogh), fictional characters (the Tooth Fairy or the New Year's Baby) or descriptive themes ("the biggest bully ever" or "the overbearing boss"). Users can then vote on Miis submitted by others to determine the Mii that best fits the challenge. Each contest will generally last two weeks: one for creating and submitting Miis, and the second week for people to vote on the results.

"The Check Mii Out Channel lets people show off their Mii creations and vote on those created by others," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "It's yet another way that we're building fun, interactive communities of Wii owners without charging them extra for the privilege."

Mega burn. Now get rid of friend codes, add gamertags, and let us hardlink a Mii to our profile.

EktorPR

Finally. :D

Now, when can we expect the update to the Shop Channel? It's supposed to introduce the gift-giving feature, so it must go up before christmas...

VOOK

Visualante said:
Well Galaxy is getting shelved for this one guys. Mii Comparison Channel for teh win.

Its the runners up prize for us, we don't get Galaxy for 3? 4? more weeks.

Import from the UK ftw.

Nemesis_

VOOK said:
Its the runners up prize for us, we don't get Galaxy for 3? 4? more weeks.

Import from the UK ftw.
Import console FTW. =P

It's 3 weeks for Australia I believe. Isn't it 21 days? Mine ships on Monday. Cannot wait!:D

Cannot wait to try out this channel either.

peetfeet

I'm assuming this will be launched worldwide at the same time? Anything on NoE or Japan websites? i can't look at the mo.

peetfeet said:
I'm assuming this will be launched worldwide at the same time? Anything on NoE or Japan websites? i can't look at the mo.
Channels are isssued by HQ. So yeah, should be Worldwide.

Ehn, I've got no room on my extremely tiny internal memory for fluff like this. Shame, I might have enjoyed playing around with it for a week or two.

VOOK

I'll ask my local Nintendo tomorrow, but yeah I assume worldwide.

koam

This channel is completely useless with the current miis. They need to add WAY more features in the Mii creation tool. They need accessories and actual clothes instead of colors.

zigg

rogue_pigeon said:
Perhaps you'd like to release some new Mii pieces then for us to be creative with, yeah?

koam said:
This channel is completely useless with the current miis. They need to add WAY more features in the Mii creation tool. They need accessories and actual clothes instead of colors.

Seems pretty unlikely this'll ever come to pass; the new options would likely not be able to show up in games like Wii Sports.

koam

zigg said:
Seems pretty unlikely this'll ever come to pass; the new options would likely not be able to show up in games like Wii Sports.

So? I don't see the problem with leaving the miis intact for games that already use them but have more accessories for newer games that also use the miis.

xbhaskarx

So is this Check Mii Out Channel the big surprise coming in September that Reggie was talking about over the summer?

This is a drop in the bucket compared to my pre-cum Mario Galaxy enthusiasm. It may manage to distract me for a couple of minutes but I'll be right back to Mario daydreaming.

Shiggy

xbhaskarx said:
So is this Check Mii Out Channel the big surprise coming in September that Reggie was talking about over the summer?

No, but he said the Chech Mii Out Channel was to come in September just like the surprise.

bryehn

So how many blocks does this useless "feature" take?

Seriously, Nintendo should be integrating this shit in their firmware, not making it a seperate WiiWare download using up our precious 256MB of usable space.

Somnid

bryehn said:
So how many blocks does this useless "feature" take?

Seriously, Nintendo should be integrating this shit in their firmware, not making it a seperate WiiWare download using up our precious 256MB of usable space.

It takes up space eitherway dude. Are you saying you'd rather it be mandatory?

zigg

koam said:
So? I don't see the problem with leaving the miis intact for games that already use them but have more accessories for newer games that also use the miis.

Ah, gotcha. That sounds doable.

loosus

Banned
This would be much more useful if you could actually customize your Mii to a significant degree. It'd be neat if you make your own textures and put them on your Mii.

As it is, though, this feature is pretty damn dumb, unfortunately.

bryehn

Somnid said:
It takes up space eitherway dude. Are you saying you'd rather it be mandatory?

Yeah. I'd rather see it integrated into the firmware like the news & weather channels. Using the 256MB that's reserved for the system. Not using space on my half of the 512MB.

Lee N said:
If you think it's useless.. don't download it.

Never really planned on it anyways, I'm just constantly bitter at Wii's lack of storage space. Have been since lauch day when I realized that we only get to use 256MB. Telling the public we were getting 512MB of space was misleading.

I would be happy with a Mii update that even just included more colors without adding any new parts. I have a sister-in-law that I can't create a proper Mii for because she has red hair. I know this may not be as big an issue in Japan, but I can't understand how they could have overlooked some basic natural hair colors or missed the opportunity for the blue-green-red trinity of anime hair.

Tieno

This is good. I've been pleading for people to send me Miis, now I don't have to harass them.

NotWii

Banned
Tieno said:
This is good. I've been pleading for people to send me Miis, now I don't have to harass them.
You can just grab Miis from the Mii Parade (button in the Mii Channel), they don't need to explicitly send you Miis

snack said:
People need to be reminded of the iminent release of Mario Galaxy?

I seriously doubt that.
The Wii has a userbase of around 13 million, how many of them do you think go to forums like neogaf to find out when EPIC games like Mario Galaxy are released?
Not many I can assure you.

Heck, a lot of gaffers had no idea Mario Galaxy was coming out in November til the official thread was made.

Yeah, this might have been fun last November. I stopped creating Miis about a month after the system launched. There's just not that much you can do with them.

Launch the DS Demo channel already.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wii said:
The Wii has a userbase of around 13 million, how many of them do you think go to forums like neogaf to find out when EPIC games like Mario Galaxy are released?
Not many I can assure you.

Heck, a lot of gaffers had no idea Mario Galaxy was coming out in November til the official thread was made.
Well in the UK, Nintendo adverts for Galaxy are simply three seconds of footage and then in big letters "16 November!". These play quite a lot as well.

Top Bottom