• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panzer Tactics DS impressions (strategy gamers, come here)

Prospero

I got the game today, and I've played for a couple of hours--I've completed the tutorial, four of the six training missions, and started the first mission of the easiest campaign. The tutorial and the training missions are necessary because this is a deep game--I'm not that far into it yet, but in terms of sheer depth of gameplay it might turn out to be the best strategy game on the DS, and I include Advance Wars: Dual Strike there. (AW: DS has a lot of things going for it, including near-infinite replayability, but I'm talking specifically about strategic depth here.)

The best way to talk about the way the game plays may be to compare it to AW's gameplay. That said, if you're a PC wargamer who buys games direct from Matrix Games or Battlefront, or if the name Gary Grigsby means anything to you, you should run out and pick this up immediately; it's not going to be some kind of super-hardcore grognard game, where turns have seven phases and take forty minutes to finish, but you'll be satisfied and pleasantly surprised at what's here, given that this is a portable game.

Now--if you've played Advance Wars, you know enough to deal with the basics of the gameplay--units start out with ten hit points, and lose them when they're fired on. But some things to note:

--Up to twenty units can transfer from one mission to the next over the campaign and level up, like in Fire Emblem. But, like in Fire Emblem, there's also permadeath. (You can save in the middle of a mission, though.) As units gain experience, there's a chance that they can acquire the use of a unique special attack that can be used once each mission.

--Units aren't generic tanks and bombers that perform identically for each army--their statistics are based on the capabilities of the actual models that each country would have access to during the year the scenario you're playing took place. These things matter--for example, level bombers (useful against tanks and so on) are distinguished from tactical bombers (useful against ground troops) and you need to know the difference to get anywhere.

--Speaking of bombing, before planning a bombing run you have to check the weather--you always have access to a two-day forecast. If it's raining, you can't drop bombs.

--Some of the rules governing movement will seem simplified compared to AW. For instance, you don't build transport planes and ships--units are assumed to have access to transport when they enter an airfield or approach a beach, and the transports appear when they're needed and disappear when you're done with them. It's possible for an infantry unit to embark on a boat by a beach, cross a river, and disembark, all in one day.

--On the other hand, some of the rules governing attack will seem tougher. For instance, if you're trying to take a city, and the city's hex is covered by an artillery unit outside the city, then the artillery gets a free shot at you before you roll to see how much damage you've done to the unit within the city. Taking a city without eliminating the artillery protecting it is impossible.

--There aren't COs that lend bonuses to entire armies and have CO Powers, etc., but there are officers, who can be assigned to single units to give them bonuses. (I haven't gotten that far into the game yet, though.) Officers can apparently be assassinated by commandos. I think officers level up as well.

--Maps are huge. The very first mission in the German campaign (the Battle of Warsaw) takes place on a grid of 20 by 18 hexes. This is probably going to prohibit a number of the strategies useful in AW--it'll be impractical to spam units, for example.

--Missions have time limits--if you don't finish in x days, you fail, and your ranking (one, two, or three stars) is dependent entirely on time. Moreover, missions have primary and secondary objectives--if you complete the secondary objectives, you get bonus currency, access to prototype units for use in the next campaign, and so on.

--The overall pace is slower than AW's. It takes longer to decide where to place your units (the game is generous with takebacks, and expects you to use them--it shows you the likely damage you'll take and receive before you commit to an action). And the AI also takes longer to move than AW's.

--There are three campaigns: German (easiest); Soviet (moderate); Allied (hardest). So all of the WWII European theater is covered.

--The graphics are unexpectedly beautiful, though the color palette is suited to the subject matter--greens and grays and browns. The sound, not so much--there are a few repeated tunes, but that's it. I miss AW's lavish production there, but this isn't a game you play for its music.

--I haven't touched the Wi-Fi multiplayer or the online high-score ladder yet (and won't want to until I finish the single-player campaign and I can make a decent showing). But note that this beat AW: Days of Ruin to the punch there.

--Finally: this is a serious wargame, and its designers expect you to have a scholarly detachment from the subject matter. If you're offended by the idea of a game that asks you to play as the Germans and bomb bunkers with American flags on them, then this is not for you.

I haven't seen a single review of this yet online, and I have no idea why--it's looking like the best turn-based strategy game to come out on a handheld this year.

UPDATE 11/24/07: I've now played through seven missions of the first campaign. This is the sleeper strategy game of the year, point blank.

--Each mission is taking me between one and two hours to complete. Much of that time is eaten by the actual thinking I have to do before executing each turn--examining terrain is crucially important, as is guessing what units the enemy is likely to utilize and where they'll be placed.

--Officers and commandos are awesome. Basically, when an officer rides with a unit it slightly increases its statistics, as well as those of units in adjacent hexes. They're useful, but not overpowered. They can also be assassinated by commandos, and because officers are super-expensive (it can take three missions to raise enough money for the elite officers), you want that not to happen. Difficult, because enemy commandos can't be seen, except by other commandos.

--The AI is ruthless. It will team up against your weak units; it'll retreat, repair its units, and regroup; it'll send paratroopers through areas you can't see and try to take your headquarters. Every once in a while it makes a boner move that's typical of most other TBS games (sending an outmatched unit against you, e.g.) but that's rare.

--Fog of war works against the computer as well as you. In most other TBS games the computer can see through fog of war, while you can't--in PT the computer is just as affected by fog of war as you are. You can actually set up ambushes because of this--keep a recon unit with 5-hex visibility on your front line, and when enemies come into the edge of your vision, sweep in with air units and finish them off before they can get organized. This is best against older artillery units that need to be dismounted from trucks before they can be fired.

--The combination of permadeath, officers, leveling up, and upgrading units based on technological advances, makes for some great, great gameplay. Eventually, the Germans get an artillery unit that can move and fire at the same time--I've got one of those with five out of five medals, and an artillery-expert officer mounted on it. It's not invulnerable (no unit in this game is), but it's close. It took me seven missions to get it there, though. And when an elite unit dies that you've been nurturing for five or six missions, it hurts.

--Money (or "fame points", the unit of currency) is really scarce. With perfect play during a mission you might earn enough money to upgrade some units, buy one or two more, and replace a unit you lost. Since the bonus for the highest ranking when completing a mission is more than twice the bonus for the second-highest ranking, there's a strong incentive to play well. In addition, failing to play well in earlier missions can influence your ability to play well in the later ones, since you just won't have the money to buy the units to get things done.

--The missions always keep you thinking of four or five things at once! There's one mission about halfway through the Axis campaign where you have to hold a city for fourteen days against the British army--during any one turn you're sending tanks up to the front line to take out howitzers and AA units, sending damaged tanks back behind the line so they can be repaired and resupplied, taking out paratroopers and bombers with your own AA units, dropping a couple of bombs here and there, sneaking your commando past enemy lines to assassinate an officer, lining up your artillery to provide a preliminary barrage before your stormtroopers take a city, and chasing down a damaged fighter with two of your own before it can reach the enemy airbase and get repaired. All of this can happen in one single turn, every turn.

--The balance of units is much different than in Advance Wars, and that's refreshing. In AW I probably use the Med. Tank the most--there's no real standout unit like that in this game, and except for the anti-tank unit (which I can't manage to do much with) they're all useful. Artillery units are probably the most powerful, and a lot of emphasis is placed on air superiority. If you don't establish air superiority within four or five turns, things will go hard for you. Especially in the German missions, which often begin with the British RAF ripping you apart on the very first turn.

--Because of the size of the maps and the relatively large number of movement points that units have, the game is focused more on maneuverability than simply spamming high-powered units. Detailed discussion of that is outside the scope of this post, though, which is already running long.

--As for the difficulty, I'm finding it comfortably challenging, but I'm only on the easiest of the three campaigns. The difficulty feels about like the difficulty of the later missions in the AWDS normal campaign--if you S-ranked those, this game won't bother you much, though you won't call it easy. You'll get used to it, though.

--In short, if you have prior experience with turn-based strategy gaming (say, you've beaten an Advance Wars or a Fire Emblem game), this is a must-own on the DS. But if you are a newbie to this kind of game it'll be a serious trial by fire. (And ignore the 6.0 review from IGN--it's worthless and it has a few things incorrect, like the way that multiplayer matches work over Wi-Fi.)

Screens:

panzer-tactics-ds-20071017031834630.jpg

(note that the top screen is the entire map, and the bottom screen is represented by the red rectangle at the top)

panzer-tactics-ds-20071017031835005.jpg

panzer-tactics-ds-20071017031835427.jpg

panzer-tactics-ds-20071017031835802.jpg

so, i read your impressions, too bad i haven't even heard of the game, sounds pretty good.

i would have wanted it to be realtime, much like bliektzkrieg

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
So this sounds like a cross between Koei's Operation: Europe and SSI's Panzer/Allied General series? I'm very interested in hearing some more impressions.

Llyranor

Prospero said:
The best way to talk about the way the game plays may be to compare it to AW's gameplay. That said, if you're a PC wargamer who buys games direct from Matrix Games or Battlefront, or if the name Gary Grigsby means anything to you, you should run out and pick this up immediately; it's not going to be some kind of super-hardcore grognard game, where turns have seven phases and take forty minutes to finish, but you'll be satisfied and pleasantly surprised at what's here, given that this is a portable game.
Hmmmm.

My main concern with the game was that it wasn't 'hardcore' enough as a wargame. I'm fine with casual TBS (I quite like AWDS), but I place higher expectations on WW2 games, given that the games I play from that setting are PC wargames, so something 'dumbed down' wouldn't do.

At this point, for one thing, I have a massive backlog and wouldn't start playing the game right away. For another thing, there are a few TB PC wargames I'm currently interested in and haven't played yet (some of the Decisive Battles games from SSG, Guns of August, some of AGEOD's titles). The main appeal here would really be the portable format - which is a pretty good feature.

Ultimately, what would be very cool would be if PC wargame devs started to develop for the DS without 'dumbing down' gameplay. There could certainly be a niche audience for that.

I should probably support this. It is a bit hard to justify given that I've spent hundreds in the past few weeks already on games, especially since I wouldn't be playing the game anytime soon. If impressions remain overwhelming positive throughout the whole game, I may have to empty my wallet again.

Prospero

The game's lead designer is posting at GameFAQs, and inviting people to Wi-Fi matches with him. Given that it's only been out for a week, and most people had trouble getting it in the first place, he'll probably smoke everyone. (Also--the lead designer is posting at GameFAQs? Buh?)

Llyranor said:
I should probably support this. It is a bit hard to justify given that I've spent hundreds in the past few weeks already on games, especially since I wouldn't be playing the game anytime soon.

Yeah, I hear you (I spent a couple of hundred dollars over the last couple of weeks myself). But it's just that time of year, I suppose. I'd suggest you support it--I don't think many people would consider it a casual game, and it's remarkable that it showed up on the DS in the first place. If it doesn't do well (and there's enough trouble with shipping that it hasn't shown up in any brick-and-mortar places yet) I doubt we'll see another game like it.

Aurelius

--Missions have time limits--if you don't finish in x days, you fail, and your ranking (one, two, or three stars) is dependent entirely on time. Moreover, missions have primary and secondary objectives--if you complete the secondary objectives, you get bonus currency, access to prototype units for use in the next campaign, and so on.
I hate time limits, a shame because the game really appeals to me.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'd imagine reviews are scarce because of the genre, length, and bigger named games being reviewed this time of year. But this impression is very umm impressive. You should copy it into the official thread, too. Looks really impressive though. Probably too hard for me, but I'll probably get it soon, assuming other impressions are favorable and online play is good. 4 player sounds great. Be nice if the game was the kind that allowed for a map editor. But having 10 large multiplayer maps isn't so bad.

I notice in the screenshot that the some hexes are lit up and some aren't. Does that indicate movement range for that unit, or is there a visibility distance in the game?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Takeda Kenshi said:
So this sounds like a cross between Koei's Operation: Europe and SSI's Panzer/Allied General series? I'm very interested in hearing some more impressions.

haven't played operation:Europe, but I liked Allied General

Prospero

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I notice in the screenshot that the some hexes are lit up and some aren't. Does that indicate movement range for that unit, or is there a visibility distance in the game?

If a unit is unselected, there are two levels of brightness for the hexes--the bright ones are those you can see, while the dark ones are obscured by fog of war.

If you select a unit you get three levels of brightness--the hexes you can move into are brightest; the slightly dimmer hexes are those you can't see, but you can move into (if you're reckless enough to do that), and the darkest ones are those you can't move into on that turn.

With movement there is also some business involving a "zone of control" that seems to prohibit completely free movement through enemy territory--I haven't sorted that out yet, though.

Prospero

I've updated my impressions in the first post of the thread. Short version: this is the sleeper strategy game of the year.

besiktas1

Well based on your hype I've just ordered :) Guess I'll be playing this until FFT,

*puts down Sonic Rush Adventure - great great game :( Pisses on Marine, worst fucking character in a video game :mad: *

Prospero

Llyranor said:
Aww, crap. I have to pick this up, don't I?

How would you compare this to other (PC) WW2 wargames you've played?

It's a good, solid, light wargame. As far as complexity, on a scale of 1 to 10 where a beer-and-pretzels board game like Memoir '44 is a 1, and a super-complicated PC game like War in the Pacific is a 10, this is about a 3--possibly a 4, pending how difficult the later campaigns turn out to be. (The WWII PC games I've put the most time into are Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin and Hearts of Iron, but in this case that's like comparing apples and oranges. Obviously Panzer Tactics is easier to get into than those are.)

It's fairly historically accurate--the missions I've gotten as the Axis so far have been located at Warsaw, Norway, the Ardennes, Dunkirk, Crete, Tobruk, and Tunis. The geography of the maps is roughly accurate, and units appear for recruitment roughly when they should, though one of the regular posters on the GameFAQs board for this game is saying that some small sacrifices in historical accuracy were made to balance the gameplay--the Luftwaffe is a little overpowered in the Allied missions, for example.

You don't need to have prior experience with WWII strategy games to play this, but some things will be easier if you do--you won't have to figure out through experimentation that a Crusader II is sturdier than a Matilda II, e.g.

Finally, there's a review from a wargamer's perspective here.

Filter

great write-up.
how's the wi-fi battles? wouldn't they take an unfeasably long time and usually not get finished?

Prospero

Filter said:
great write-up.
how's the wi-fi battles? wouldn't they take an unfeasably long time and usually not get finished?

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but honestly, my guess after playing for a while is that the pace of the game is too measured for enjoyable online multiplayer on the DS, at least against strangers. I usually take three to five minutes for each turn in single-player, so I figure that two decently skilled players would take around two hours for a full game--four good players would take who knows how long. (Since you can save in the middle of a battle in single-player scenarios, the length of a turn isn't an issue there.) I know people who would be into that kind of slowly paced gaming, but I can't imagine that you'll ever find dozens of random people online hosting games at any point. There's an option in the multiplayer setup to limit the time each person takes to move, but a time limit on turns would ruin much of what makes the game so engaging.

If this were a PC game, a play-by-email option would be perfect for it--on the DS, not so much. But the single-player game alone is well worth the $30 price IMO.

Llyranor

This thread lacks attention.

Prospero said:
Because of the size of the maps and the relatively large number of movement points that units have, the game is focused more on maneuverability than simply spamming high-powered units. Detailed discussion of that is outside the scope of this post, though, which is already running long.
If you have the time, could you elaborate more on this?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I produced this for the U.S release for Conspiracy :)

I would pitch it as 'adult Advance Wars'. It's a very deep game. The guys at Sproing / 10tacle developed it and they did a stellar fucking job IMO. I would personally rate it a solid 8/10.

If you hit the optional objectives in the mission you get some nice bonuses too, like cheaper tanks in the next level or other such.

It gets REALLY tough later on by the way and is definitely a thinking man's game.

Prospero

Llyranor said:
If you have the time, could you elaborate more on [the importance of unit maneuverability versus unit strength]?

Okay--the importance of unit maneuverability is partly due to balance, and partly to level design.

1. Balance. There are no full-strength unmodified units, at least that I've seen, that can score one-hit knockouts (OHKOs) against any other full-strength unmodified units--even the strongest unit can only knock down the weakest unit by 50%-60% in one turn. (Trucks and transport planes are much more vulnerable though--see below.) You can modify a unit by gaining experience and putting an officer on it, but that won't make it into a gamebreaking monster.

Now, the strongest unit I have, seven missions into the Axis campaign, is a Wurfrahmen 40 rocket launcher. It has maximum experience and it can move five hexes in one turn, and then fire in that same turn within a range of two to four hexes. The artillery expert I usually assign to it gives its range an additional hex. So that means anything within a radius of ten hexes is vulnerable to it. (The maps are 20 by 18 hexes.)

I actually have two of these, which I move around the map in tandem and keep next to each other--since officers grant their statistical bonuses to the units in adjacent hexes, the two units together can take down almost any opposing unit except for some of the late-model tanks. And those tanks don't have the maneuverability that the Wurfrahmens do, so if I don't nail them in one turn, I'll finish them off in the next when they're retreating (unless it means exposing the Wurfrahmens to opposing fire).

Compare these to the artillery units you get in the early missions: if you want to move and fire them in the same turn, you can only move them one hex, which means they're easily evaded by many units (some tanks get as many as seven movement points). If you want to move these early artillery units more than one hex, you have to mount them on a truck, move the truck, and then wait for the artillery to dismount on the next turn--this leaves a turn when your units are defenseless and exposed to the enemy (and it's very easy to get an OHKO against trucks). You can mitigate this somewhat by assigning air cover to them (placing a fighter on the same hex as the truck), but they'll still be vulnerable to tanks, artillery, infantry, and so on.

2. An example of level design (mild spoilers for the Tobruk mission):

In the Tobruk mission, the primary objective is to take the Tobruk seaport--your HQ is about fifteen hexes due west, on the North African coast. There are two potential paths to get there--a narrow road that runs along the coast, with a mountain range directly to the south and the sea directly to the north, and a more circuitous route that involves going around the mountain range to the south and across the desert plains, coming up on Tobruk from the southwest.

Before each mission you get two intel reports. Report 1 is always reliable; report 2 is sometimes not. One of the statements in report 2 is that taking the coast road will slow you down, and at first that seems obviously false--but if you look at the map, you'll see that the coast road is actually a choke point. The enemy has artillery and AA batteries set up there, along with (IIRC) a destroyer or two patrolling the coast, and they'll do heavy damage to anything that comes along that road. Approaching Tobruk from the southwest gives you more room to spread out, though, and so you can come in faster with a larger force, even though there's a larger distance to traverse. This is, more or less, what Rommel did. See this link.

Prospero

boutrosinit said:
I produced this for the U.S release for Conspiracy :)

Good work!

If you can, could you say a little more about what it took to bring this over to the US? (It's from German developers, right?) It's an atypical DS game, and it seems like screenshots of this were floating around for quite a while (like since mid-2006) before it finally materialized.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Prospero said:
Good work!

If you can, could you say a little more about what it took to bring this over to the US? (It's from German developers, right?) It's an atypical DS game, and it seems like screenshots of this were floating around for quite a while (like since mid-2006) before it finally materialized.

Not really. NDAs an all ;-)

I can say most of the work was already done since the Euro version was already complete, so my job was very simple fortunately.

Saitou

Banned
This game is very, very good, but I find myself restarting the campaign missions quite often due to surprise enemy placements. And the occasional officer out of left field.

Also, anti-tank units are absolutely worthless.

Endgegner

Prospero said:
It's a good, solid, light wargame. As far as complexity, on a scale of 1 to 10 where a beer-and-pretzels board game like Memoir '44 is a 1, and a super-complicated PC game like War in the Pacific is a 10, this is about a 3--possibly a 4, pending how difficult the later campaigns turn out to be. (The WWII PC games I've put the most time into are Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin and Hearts of Iron, but in this case that's like comparing apples and oranges. Obviously Panzer Tactics is easier to get into than those are.)

How complex is it compared to games like the Panzer General series? Panzer General 3d for example?

egocrata

Banned
Saitou said:
Also, anti-tank units are absolutely worthless.

If it is anything close to Panzer General (and it looks like a total clone, which is a good thing) Anti-Tank guns are only useful for ambushes and to defend against tanks.

I soooo need this game, by the way. I loved Panzer General.

Hereafter

Endgegner said:
How complex is it compared to games like the Panzer General series? Panzer General 3d for example?

It's almost an exact copy of Panzer General in terms of complexity. The only difference if the addition of recruitable officers and commandoes.

The third map in the German campaign (first encounter with the French) is almost 1 to 1 with the same map in PG2.

This is an amazing game but the sluggish of the menus do drag the game down a small bit.

Probably the best true strategy game to date on the DS and I'm willing to bet it'll be in the top 5 in the next couple of years.

oo Kosma oo said:
One question: Do I get to play as the Poles during the '39 campaign?

Unless there's a secret mode out there Germans, English and the USA only.

egocrata said:
If it is anything close to Panzer General (and it looks like a total clone, which is a good thing) Anti-Tank guns are only useful for ambushes and to defend against tanks.

I soooo need this game, by the way. I loved Panzer General.

The anti tank guns are worthless due to the frantic pace of the campaign mode. You really shouldn't be defending. Every turn counts and if you're defending you're falling behind.

If PG is your mistress then consider this game the newer sexy lady then fits in your pocket. It's better than PG 1 , 2 and 3D (from memory) in almost single way.

Kosma

Banned
Hereafter said:
Unless there's a secret mode out there Germans, English and the USA only.

Whoa so I have to invade my own country? With the guys who send my grandma and her family to Auschwitz :/

Lame.

Jenga

Banned
Sounds awesome, I'll probably pick this up on the same day I pick up Days of Ruin. Handheld strategy gamer within me rejoices

noonche

Prospero said:
--Maps are huge. The very first mission in the German campaign (the Battle of Warsaw) takes place on a grid of 20 by 18 hexes. This is probably going to prohibit a number of the strategies useful in AW--it'll be impractical to spam units, for example.

Does this serve to drag the missions out, or does it actually increase your tactical options?

Prospero said:

This sounds pretty bullshitty. Are the time-limits ever unreasonable? Is it like in Age of Empires DS when getting all the secondary objectives on some missions becomes some sort of sick guessing game? You'd have to move specific specific units after specific objectives or you'd lose, sort of the TBS version of COD4.

Prospero said:
--The overall pace is slower than AW's. It takes longer to decide where to place your units (the game is generous with takebacks, and expects you to use them--it shows you the likely damage you'll take and receive before you commit to an action). And the AI also takes longer to move than AW's.

Are the battle animations slow and tedious? Can you turn them off and just get numbers?

Prospero said:
--The sound, not so much--there are a few repeated tunes, but that's it. I miss AW's lavish production there, but this isn't a game you play for its music.

Hmm... I don't like the sound of this.

Prospero said:
--The combination of permadeath, officers, leveling up, and upgrading units based on technological advances, makes for some great, great gameplay. Eventually, the Germans get an artillery unit that can move and fire at the same time--I've got one of those with five out of five medals, and an artillery-expert officer mounted on it. It's not invulnerable (no unit in this game is), but it's close. It took me seven missions to get it there, though. And when an elite unit dies that you've been nurturing for five or six missions, it hurts.

Does it hurt or does it make you want to stop playing the game like Fire Emblem?

Prospero said:
--The missions always keep you thinking of four or five things at once! There's one mission about halfway through the Axis campaign where you have to hold a city for fourteen days against the British army--during any one turn you're sending tanks up to the front line to take out howitzers and AA units, sending damaged tanks back behind the line so they can be repaired and resupplied, taking out paratroopers and bombers with your own AA units, dropping a couple of bombs here and there, sneaking your commando past enemy lines to assassinate an officer, lining up your artillery to provide a preliminary barrage before your stormtroopers take a city, and chasing down a damaged fighter with two of your own before it can reach the enemy airbase and get repaired. All of this can happen in one single turn, every turn.

This part sounds awesome.

Prospero

alske said:
Does [the size of the maps] serve to drag the missions out, or does it actually increase your tactical options?

It increases your options, since units have so many movement points--air units can fly clear across the map in two or three turns.

Are the time-limits ever unreasonable? Is it like in Age of Empires DS when getting all the secondary objectives on some missions becomes some sort of sick guessing game?

The time limit to complete a mission is usually thirty days (except for the one bonus mission I've unlocked, which has a limit of 25 days). If you can't finish the missions in thirty days, you weren't ever going to finish them. The limit is a lot tighter if you are going for the highest ranking, though, and that limit is specific to each mission.

The mission briefings are very clear--you always know what the secondary objectives are and what needs to be done to fulfill them before you begin. Actually doing so is a different matter, though. If you're not playing perfectly you'll have to sometimes decide between fulfilling the secondary objective and taking a second-rank rating on the map altogether, or getting the top rank and failing the secondary condition. (I've had to make this choice a couple of times--it's hard because while you know what the reward is for completing the mission in a timely fashion, you don't know what the reward is for the secondary objective is until the mission is over.)

Are the battle animations slow and tedious? Can you turn them off and just get numbers?

I haven't tried to turn the battle animations off, but they're fast, and they're pretty. It's AI calculation that eats the most time on the computer's part, and there's nothing to be done about that.

Does [losing units] hurt or does it make you want to stop playing the game like Fire Emblem?

Losing units never feels unfair, if that's what you mean--the ability to save in mid-mission helps here, even if you don't revert to previous saves. And I have a feeling that in the later campaigns you'll actually have to sacrifice units to get top ratings--such is war.

Thanks much for the detailed write-up.

Based on your impressions I'm not sure if I'm going to dig the complexity of this game. Back in the PC days I loved Fantasy General (the fantasy game from SSI's Panzer General series) but had more trouble getting into People's General. For me, Fantasy General stripped out more of the realistic game mechanics (weather, resupply rules) to focus just on the core creamy tactical gameplay.

Since it sounds like this game leans more to the realistic tactical side of Panzer and People's General so I'm not sure if it's for me. But it might be worth picking up just to support serious strategy games coming to the DS. Who knows? Maybe there will be a Fantasy Tactics DS in the future.

UltiGamer

So, now that people have had time to find and play the game why don't we get a friend code list going? I guess I will start and we can all just add on?

Friend Codes

Neogaf name- Panzer Tactics name- friend code

Ultigamer- Keb- 0215-9406-2774

I've played through the tutorial, and the first couple missions of the German (easy) campaign. As people have said before, reminds me a lot of Panzer General II, which to me is a very good thing. For people unfamiliar with the Panzer series, it is like a real life atmosphere/slightly deeper Advance Wars. Also, I love the core units idea (last time I remember this mechanic was Homeworld) which allows you to bring a "core" group of units across all your missions, building them up and making them ace units. Assigning officers to your units is a cool idea as well, which provides direct bonuses to your units instead of the CO powers like Advance Wars.

Definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested in strategy and owning a DS.

Top Bottom